[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i into sonic youth?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: sonic-youth.jpg (763 KB, 2004x1272) Image search: [Google]
sonic-youth.jpg
763 KB, 2004x1272
how do i into sonic youth?
>>
Daydream Nation is their most iconic album, but Sister is the most accessible
>>
>>61770036
Prepare yourself for generic noise rock and hours of boredom
>>
>>61770099
>not Dirty

>>61770036
They're terrible, I still don't get why anything past Daydream Nation gets labeled as Noise Rock on RYM. Their first three albums are okay and decent though (maybe even EVOL)
>>
>>61770111
>>61770137
Never post on my board again or I'll fucking kill you
>>
Daydream Nation is boring as hell. The only album by them I enjoy in Bad Moon Rising.
>>
>>61770111
>generic
: ^)
>>
Rather ripped is their best album
>>
>>61770164
>>61770183
Sonic Youth fans people

seriously though take your shitty Dino Jr ripoff elsewhere
>>
>>61770036
Daily reminder that Sonic Youth is the cancer of Noise Rock
>>
>>61770111
i thought it was the point in the band: have generic songs structures with a noise-rock twist
>>
>>61770406
>shitty Dino Jr rip off
>Sonic Youth

Someone grab my fedora
>>
>>61770406
I hate Sonic Youth but they didn't rip off Dino Jr, in fact the latter were very influenced by them (the cover of You're Living... is very similar to the one of Confusion Is Sex)
>>
File: YiPK1xV.jpg (398 KB, 1992x1426) Image search: [Google]
YiPK1xV.jpg
398 KB, 1992x1426
this flow chart isn't perfect, but it's pretty solid. i think this is a good guide to use
>>
>>61770445
>>61770464
It doesn't really matter which way you look at it. Sonic Youth are uninteresting. It's a miracle Jim O'Rourke turned out to be so good desu.
>>
sonic youth has almost an albums worth of great songs buried in like a dozen albums with such complaints as:
-nearly a jam band at points
-extended noise bit is "le edgy"
-some kim gordon songs that apparently unrehearsed
-lee ronaldo songs are like ringo songs, sort of amusing, never listen to again
-thurston moore vocals usually cringey

you can see the concept behind mbv was probably just make a sonic youth record that is even listenable the whole way through.
>>
>>61770522
>SY are uninsteresting
wow you sure convinced me with those hot opinions fagtron
>>
Sonic Youth is one of the best rock bands ever, end of. Start with Daydream Nation OP.
>>
Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon are poor man's Neil Hagerty and Jennifer Herrema
>>
not sure if ran out of ideas or just ran out of possible guitar tunings.
>>
Talentless hacks, although Thurston is a cool guy and jams with lots of people in the shoegaze/noise pop/noise rock scene
>>
>>61770036
Start with Daydream Nation. It effectively combines the noise of early SY with the slacker-core of early-mid 90s SY
>>
>>61770036
they are shit
listen to the velvet underground
>>
what do if i cant listen to more than 10 minutes of daydream nation? so fucking boring. am i a pleb?
>>
>>61771232
Well, what were you looking for? Did you want it to be more energetic?
>>
>>61770432

I haven't sat down with like a pencil and paper and laid out their song structures but they don't come off as generic ABABCB type shit
>>
>>61771268
It's just so forgettable. The vocals are lackluster, melodies uninteresting, I haven't noticed any features that stand out.
Sometimes it takes a few listens for the album to "click", so maybe someone who likes it could point out what exactly should I pay attention to?
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>61770652
>lee ronaldo songs are like ringo songs, sort of amusing, never listen to again

is this bait? Lee's songs are far and away the most consistently good
>>
>>61770111
/thread
>>
>>61771471
I've listened to Daydream Nation 12 times and nothing. It's just boring.
>>
>>61771471

I don't know what to tell you. Teenage riot was just one of those songs that I heard and immediately just liked. The energy, optimism and guitar work on that track just hooked me in and I've never had to question why I liked the band.

If you don't like that song you probably won't like the band. That's fine, just not your style of music I guess
>>
>>61771471
>>61771557
How can you guys not like Teenage Riot, Candle, Silver Rocket, Eric's Trip, Hey Joni, The Wonder, and Hyperstation?

I'm not a huge fan of Sonic Youth, and but DN is far from boring. I'm only complaint would be the sound of the drums.
>>
>>61771632
>I'm only complaint
*My only complaint
>>
>>61771632
Basically this
I'm not a fan of Sonic Youth but this thread just seems like a circlejerk over disliking Sonic Youth and being contrarian.
Just like any SY thread...
>>
>>61770137
>(maybe even EVOL)
EVOL is their best album
>>
>>61770036
You listen to Sleater Kinney instead and never look back.
>>
File: turtle.jpg (9 KB, 252x150) Image search: [Google]
turtle.jpg
9 KB, 252x150
With their first album, like you would any other artist
>>
>>61773257
Even RADIOHEAD????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>>
Start with Daydream Nation and go back until their first EP. The albums released after Daydream Nation aren't very great.
>>
>>61770036
Listen to Daydream Nation. There, now you like Sonic Youth.

Washing Machine is their best album.
>>
Sister is their best album
>>
They suck.

Listen to Glenn Branca, Sonny Sharrock, the Stooges and Velvet Underground instead of boring accessible watered down derivatives.
>>
>tfw you'll never press your face up against kim's head
>>
>>61770511
I will never understand these autistic flowcharts, just listen to their discography in order op
>>
>>61770652
>sonic youth has almost an albums worth of great songs buried in like a dozen albums
this, for the most part. I've heard all their stuff up until 2000, even the SYR releases (which are much better).

Also I get really sick of Kim's vocals/lyrics. We get it, you're faced with challenges as a woman and you are a sexual being.
>>
>>61770036
reminder that they're even bigger assholes than blur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9gN_Krim7M
Kim is ok
>>
>>61774219
>not realizing this was just good-natured banter
Why are you Americucks so dense?
>>
>>61773501
>Velvet Underground
>Stooges
>Not accessible

>accessible
>inherently bad

>band takes inspiration/is influenced by another band
>band is inherently bad

Jesus fucking Christ, never post again. Sharrock is the shit though, he should be more discussed on /mu/.
>>
>>61774260
Sonic Youth is American you retard
>>
This thread is triggering me
>>
Step 1: Light a joint
Step 2: Listen to Sister
>>
>>61770137
Kill yourself, reddit
>>
>>61774578
All memes aside, Sister is seriously a great weed album
>>
>>61770036
listen to Sister and then decide whether or not you want to listen to boring samey Sonic Youth or a superior band such as Unwound.
>>
>>61771597
>That's fine, just not your style of music I guess

what style of music would Sonic Youth be again?
>>
>2015
>/mu/ is still full of plebs who can't into Sonic Youth
Embarrassing.
>>
daydream then sister then goo then evol
>>
>>61771471
Mainly the harmonies and guitar interplay.
>>
>>61771471
look for the noise sections, the way they extend so seamlessly adding a lot of depth to their songs.
Try to picture in your head the way these sounds interacts within the musical medium. Its not hard to "get into" SY, you just need to look from the right places.
>>
These are pretty good

EP
BMR
Sister
EVOL
DDN
Murray St

Try are all growers.
>>
Everything they released in the 80s is great and everything after that isn't worth listening to

Start basically anywhere except Confusion Is Sex or Bad Moon Rising
>>
Listen to Daydream Nation more than once

Listen to EVOL and Sister and realize they are superior

Enjoy the rest, maybe
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.