[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do we rank Bowie's vocal performances? which song do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: Dave.jpg (205 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Dave.jpg
205 KB, 1000x1000
how do we rank Bowie's vocal performances?
which song do you think he delivers his best?

ones i had in mind, off the top of my head:

>Look Back in Anger
>Wild is the Wind
>Fascination
>Rock 'n' Roll With Me
>Starman
>Lady Stardust
>Time
>basically every song on Hunky Dory

what else do we consider?
>>
Heroes pho shizzle
>>
Fantastic Voyage, mayn.

>Cause I'll never say anything nice again
>HOW CAN IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
>>
>>61765498
A Small Plot of Land
Slow Burn
It's No Game
>>
The thing with Bowie is he wasn't, by any measure, a technical singer. However, this is irrelevant, because his extremely unique and distinctive voice & vocal style makes up for it.

I'd say space oddity is up there though
>>
>>61765834
>The thing with Bowie is he wasn't, by any measure, a technical singer.
That's the same shit people have been saying just because he doesn't sound like anybody else. Try to sing Life on Mars? or Heroes and tell me he's not technical.
>>
>>61765834

exactly. he doesn't need to sing a song particularly "well" and yet most of the time it will still be a great song
>>
Are there any more songs where he sings like he does in It's No Game (Part 1)?
>>
My favorite Bowie vocals are on Ziggy Stardust
>>
>>61765834
He's a pretty damn technical singer with one of the best ranges of all time that only improved as time went on. The man's voice control is legendary. It's an unusual singing method but it's by no means not technical. I don't think there's a singer alive that could accurately replicate a lot of Bowie's signature techniques.
>>
>>61766028

closest i can think right now might be parts of Blackout but even then not that close
>>
>>61765498
Word on a Wing is pretty high up there
>>
>>61765498
Teenage Wildlife is easily the best. So much raw genuine emotion

Joe The Lion is up there too, and Wild is the Wind
>>
>>61765498
>No Heroes
Shit taste. Sons of the Silent Age also has phenomenal vocals in the same vein.
>>
>>61765834
Listen to more Bowie. He didn't use just one "vocal style", he used dozens, including pretty standard "technical" singing.
>>
Time was definitely more of an artistic piece of work than sheer vocal performance. Lady Grinning Soul on the other hand has some absolutely phenomenal vocal work if we're taking something from Aladdin Sane.
>>
>>61765834
Listen to his singing here famo. That note at 1:22 is amazing: https://youtu.be/A3ol17NnBHk
>>
>>61766215
This.
>>
>>61765498
David Live at the Philadelphia Tower
Win
Lou Reed legitimately beats every other singer though.
>>
Was Bowie trained professionally or did he develop his voice by himself?
>>
>>61766028
Joe the Lion is kinda similar..he screeches at the end of Five Years..fuck, It's No Game (Part 1) is kinda unique I guess. Based performance.
>>
>>61766374
Lou Reed could barely string a note together compared to the likes of Bowie. Most his songs he just fucking talks on (and it works because its Lou Reed).

Captain Beefheart is the absolute king if we are going down that route.
>>
>>61766404
The ending of Five Years always sends shivers down my spine. The way he flawlessly conveys the emotions of someone coming to the realization that their time to be alive is limited, hollow and reluctant acceptance which turns to screaming to tears and pleading. And all of that emotion packed into two little words, the man was a goddamn legend and no one will ever come close again.
>>
>>61766528
Such an amazing, ballsy opening to an album. Anyone else would've put Starman or Ziggy Stardust as Track 1 and had something like Five Years as an album ender, but Bowie wanted to bring you right in from the start.

To be played at maximum volume
>>
>>61766404
>>61766528
>>61766682

never forget the first impression of 5 Years
>"woah that got pretty crazy"
>halfway through album
>"... lets listen to the first song again"

it was cold, and it rained, so i felt like an actor ...
>>
This one probably
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KdYAVjRiJ4
>>
OH NO LOVE YOU'RE NOT ALONE
>>
File: david-bowie-china-girl[1].jpg (20 KB, 700x487) Image search: [Google]
david-bowie-china-girl[1].jpg
20 KB, 700x487
>>61766779
The original weeaboo
>>
Blackstar
Slip away
Always crashing in the same car
Starman
Sons of the silent age
>>
Life on Mars/Rock 'n' Roll Suicide are well known triumphs. Lady Grinning Soul is amazing and he never performed it live. Word on a Wing/Wild is the Wind are also amazing.
>>
Sweet Thing?

>WILL YOU SEEEEEEEEE
>THAT I'M SCAAARED
>AND I'M LONELYYY
>>
>>61767147
BOYS
>>
>>61767147
The end of candidate and the way it crashes into Sweet Thing Reprise might still be my favourite moment of Bowie:

>I guess we could cruise one more time
>with YOU on our side, 'should be fine
>we'll buy some drugs and watch a band
>and jump in a river holding hands

Then the fucking saxophone hits you in like a freight train

Bowie had that trilogy on his album of his best songs in his opinion. He actually had patrician taste in his own work.
>>
>>61767147
Is the opening line 'love in a doorway' the deepest note he sung?
>>
Heroes is the GOAT but I love his performance on Quicksand.
>>
>>61767245
Either that or something from Station to Station I guess, out of his classic era anyway. Or maybe some of the weird shit on the two Brian Eno side Bs?
>>
>>61766028
Fuck I'm retarded, he does it on Heroes too, last verse/
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.