[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can people tell me why they like this album? Everyone's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Troutmask.jpg (373 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Troutmask.jpg
373 KB, 600x600
Can people tell me why they like this album? Everyone's entitled to their opinions but I genuinely can't see the appeal, it just sounds like shit noise to me
>>
>>63476270
This album is so innovative and complex as to be nearly indecipherable. The rhythm section sounds so polyrhythmic that all rhythm is lost. The singing, vaguely interested in music, travels within alien universes. The guitar acts as atonal contracanto. The counterpoint of the ensemble is something halfway between the orchestral chaos of Charles Ives and the audacity of John Cage. The chaotic but rational improvisation is reminiscent of the frenetic geometry of Ornette Coleman, who in turn was influenced by Van Vliet. The heterogeneous meter that Van Vliet produces are to melody what the free poetry of the 1900's are to rhyme. But free-jazz and avant garde music are only alibis, pretexts to freely vent the leader's anarchical compulsions. The album is by all accounts an anthology of chaos in all its musical forms. For as deeply varied as they are from one another, these twenty-eight cuts are many versions of the same scene of devastation. Trout Mask Replica is above all a collage of abstract paintings, each different from the other in color, intensity and contrast, yet they're all homogeneous in their "abstraction".
>>
>>63476304
is this a copypasta?
>>
>>63476270
Read up about it.
>>
I know this argument is lame but when this came out in 1969 it was like the aliens landing on Earth and this was their product to give to Earth
>>
>>63476320
It's from Scaruffi's essay about it.
>>
>>63476270
Listen to some free jazz but before that listen to some regular jazz. Then try again.
>>
>>63476321
read what exactly? No many how many times people tell me how innovative it was and bang on about the polyrythyms, it just doesn't do it for me
>>
>>63476490
This
>>
>>63476270
People like this album because people like you ask this question on /mu/ everyday. This allows them to use their lmao copypastas and opinons which makes them feel good. Thanks anon!
>>
i like the riffs
i like the beats
i like his vocals
>>
>>63476765
No you don't
>>
>>63476796
Shouldn't you be at work Jason?
>>
>>63476796
>this is the best /mu/ has to offer
>>
>>63476847
>>63476935
Ok prove to me that you actually enjoy those things. You literally can't.
>>
>>63476995
how the fuck do i do that
>>
>>63476995
Prove me that you don't. You literally can't.
>>
>>63476270
In my opinion it sounds like nothing else that I have ever heard, and it´s got that nice blend of unsettling/chaotic parts and very nice and catchy parts. There is always something accesible to grab onto if it sometimes becomes a little much.
>>
>>63476346
So yes, yes it is.
>>
It's so bluesy and cool sounding
>>
File: shiba.jpg (25 KB, 369x333) Image search: [Google]
shiba.jpg
25 KB, 369x333
It's basically noise. Do too much acid and you lose touch of reality, try and make an album in that state and it will totally suck.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.