[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of this album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: avey-tare-down-there.jpg (130 KB, 608x608) Image search: [Google]
avey-tare-down-there.jpg
130 KB, 608x608
What does /mu/ think of this album?
>>
Goat opener
Rest is p good
>>
File: Bobby_Shurmada.jpg (84 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Bobby_Shurmada.jpg
84 KB, 600x600
bad try this
>>
Ghost Of Books, Heads Hammock and Oliver Twist are my top 3 prob

The dark, swampy atmosphere of it is strangely unique and definitely of its own nature. I wish the vocals had been a little clearer/better but the instrumentation on it is really nice.
>>
Good but it's no person pitch
>>
>>61755884
Laughing Hieroglyphic and Cemetaries are both as good as anything AnCo has ever done. A lot of the rest is good but suffers from the amateur production.
>>
Definitely the best solo anco release and cements that Avey is the best member.
>>
The patrician choice
>>
>>61756079
I also consider pic related essentially an Avey Tare solo album so yeah you're right.
>>
>>61756022
this
>>
>>61755884
Better than any Panda solo work. More emotion, instrumentals are much more interesting, better sense of atmosphere.
>>
It's only second to person pitch, which is incredibly hard to beat. A super great album

>>61756022
how is laughing hieroglyphic not in your top three? that's in my top three anco songs in general. it's so emotional.
>>61756079
cemeteries doesn't get enough love. it might be my favorite slow AC jam
>>
>>61756133
But panda bear did all the percussion in it
>>
>>61756079
Not that I don't think Avey is the best member, but he did his best work with Panda as a collaborator, and wouldn't have been as good as he got if not for that collaboration. Also, PP is at least tied. It was just as experimental, it thrust the band into a new era, the songwriting was on point throughout, the performances were solid, and the production was much better. I would say Young Prayer is even tied, because there's a lot of stuff on Down There that is simply underwhelming.

>>61756133
It's not an Avey Tare solo album, he credited Panda because his contributions shaped the album immensely. It's also the most overrated album in the AnCo discography, including solo albums.

I love Avey, but people that idealize him, and in turn diminish Panda's merits, are pretty obnoxious.
>>
>>61756725
This.
>>
>>61756640
Aveyfags will just say he told Panda what to do with "beat-boxing". I'm sure he gave him a direction, but if Avey could drum he would've just done it. Panda was a huge part of the end product.
>>
>>61756761
I'm an Aveyfag but as a drummer myself I fucking love the work that panda did on spirit
>>
>>61756045
>it's no person pitch
Damn right, it's better.
>>
If I was ranking it with the anco discography, it'd be between Feels and Here Comes the indigenous fellow
>>
Down There is the worst Animal Collective-related release - meandering posturing from an artist desperately grasping at validation after his bandmate completely overtook him in compositional ability. The "experiments" are directionless, the pop is dreadful when it does come in, and the whole thing was one of the first nails in the AnCo coffin.
>>
>>61756946
retarded aveyfag spotted
>>
>>61756976
Panda has a super pretty voice and is a go to on every try-hard's ipod who doesn't want to weird his guest out with his music choice.
Compositional ability? Both Avey and Panda do pretty simple instrumentals but Avey is far more interesting as far as that goes
>>
>>61757001
Yeah.
What are you getting at?
This album's 100x more creative that Repetitive Pitch
>>
>>61757424
look at who's objectively wrong; there's nothing wrong with preferring down there, but saying that it's more creative than person pitch is just '>wow'-tier.

both albums maintain the same vibes throughout just about every one of their songs anyway; down there is no less repetitive in that sense in comparison to person pitch
>>
>>61757530
>look at who's objectively wrong
This is proof that you don't know what that word means. Get a fucking dictionary.

>Bros has 6 minutes of constant, pointless looping
>Down There is just as repetitive as Person Pitch
No.
>>
"And if I have some kind of need
Maybe the thing I need is the thing I've got
And if I look inside of me
I find the thing that can't be took or bought
And I know that there are needy
Some are good, yeah, but some are rotten
Why should I motivate my needs
When I know my greed should be forgotten"

jizz everytime.
>>
>>61757680
>constant, pointless looping

So you just get to decide what aspects of a piece of music are "pointless"? I like DT too but dial back the PP hate a bit, or at least back it up
>>
>>61757680
I'm not that guy, but I don't think repetition is inherently pointless. He sets certain parts to repeat, and soundscapes over it, which is something AnCo has always done, Avey included, and he even does it in Down There to an extent. I don't think DT is necessarily more creative either, Panda helped pioneer Chill Wave, the albums is backed by pretty much ubiquitously good songwriting, the production is better, the composition is interesting, and what he did on PP hugely influenced AnCo's direction afterwards. MPP era was probably their most prolific era (MPP, FBK, and Oddsac concurrently), in part due to the groundwork Panda did on PP. I don't think DT is as repetetive as PP, but it does use repetition as a tool, and that in and of itself is not a valid criticism. Panda builds with timbre and dynamics in Bros throughout the repetition.

Grim Reaper, on the other hand, is full of repetition with no build or progression to anything.
>>
>>61758264
I still don't get why people say PP helped start chillwave. Yeah, its an aggressively "chill" album, but to me chillwave is all about synths, compressed drums, 80s fetishism, and danceability.

None of which is on PP.
>>
>>61757680
You've obviously never recorded a song. There are a ton of nuances in the mixing on Person Pitch.
>>
>>61758303
It's an aesthetic. The washed out, completely saturated in reverb vocals, the meandering melodies, the just general warmth of the imbres... You'd almost have to be trying NOT to hear it. I think you're thinking about it too specifically, if you take a broader look at it, it's definitely there.
>>
>>61756725
T h i s
>>
Why are you all so set on determining which album (down there or person pitch) is better? They're completely different . The great thing about anco is that Panda and Avey have this idiosyncratic way of working together and it just clicks so well that they were able to produce the likes of Sung tongs and MPP. They are not/never have been competitors, only collaborators.

Btw "aveyfags"... If your only argument is to call out person pitch on its use of repetition (which, as other anons have already said, isn't even a bad thing) or "popiness" then I can't really consider your point of view. Obscurity and abrasion do not equal a more "complex" album. Don't hate Panda for having a prettier voice.
>>
Laughing Heiroglpyh is an amazing song, and so is Oliver Twist. Really great swamp vibes on those. Wish the rest of the album wasnt so dull though.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.