[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nothing will top this in 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 800x800
Nothing will top this in 2016
>>
>>61752094
Radiohead, SWISH, Kendrick+J Cole.

Not saying they will top it, but they have the best chance. Blackstar is stupidly good.
>>
>>61752094
I could see a lot of stuff topping it

it was good but not that special
>>
>>61752094
it is quite good isn't it
>>
>>61752131
>an album about a man coming to grips with his own death and acceptance is nothing special
go kill yourself and try writing an album half as good
>>
We'll see how good the new Gorillaz album is
>>
>>61752157
It was a cute concept but the album was a bit sterile and kind of boring
>>
>>61752288
explain how it's sterile
>where the fuck did Monday go?
>>
>>61752094
yeah because it's really hard to top a mediocre album
>>
>>61752157
It's an inspiration that he took his legendary career to the ultimate end, but the concept alone doesn't make it any better. I think Blackstar is his best album in decades but its no more than 7/10
>>
[spoiler]The Wilderness[/spoiler]
>>
>all these people underrating Blackstar because they are scared to give a dead man his dues
Lmao the album is at least an 8/10
>>
>>61752288
How?
>>61752346
>context doesn't make art any better
How old are you? Only objectivity teenagers think this way.
>>
>>61752157
Or failing that, he should just go kill himself, the relief the world will feel will be the ultimate artistic gift.
>>
>>61752375
it was a 7/10 at best before he died and it still is
>>
>>61752395
>his death doesn't impact the album's score in any way
Objectivity fags gtfo
>>
>>61752389
Context only makes art more relevant. Sure if A Day in the Life came out in 2006, it wouldn't be legendary or influential at all. But it would still be as good of a song for people that like that type of music; it just wouldn't have the reputation.
>>
>>61752395
>the context of him recording this album while he was dying of cancer in no way effects the quality of the album
The album was fantastic before it was fully understood contextually. Blackstar is probably the peak of the limits for artistic expression.
>>
>>61752157
when you can only deal with music on a level of concepts and themes, you should know you just don't understand music very well at all
>>
>>61752419
Yeah you're right, Road by Nick Drake has absolute no significance added from understanding Nick Drake as a person.
Fuck off.
>>
>>61752323
I like that song

but as a whole, the album didn't really take control of my thoughts and senses the same way something like 'Closer' did

I literally just don't enjoy listening to it that much.
>>
>>61752444
>Blackstar is probably the peak of the limits for artistic expression.

Somebody please start collating these posts.
>>
>>61752448
What's your qualification in understanding music? I can guarantee you that I am probably more qualified than you, shitposter.
>>
>>61752449
If he wrote a shit song about being isolated and depressed would you care? Road is already a recording with a wonderful melody and guitarwork. Blackstar is an immensily IMPORTANT album, as was Pink Moon, for their artists. But significance =/= good songwriting and context =/= good songwriting.
>>
>>61752523
Context = a better understanding and appreciation for what the album was and was trying to be.
The fuck do you know about art anyways?
>>
>>61752458
I suppose that's fair.

The record has been stuck in my head all week, and it's honestly one of my favorite Bowie records. His best since Lodger.
>>
>>61752547
True. But does it automatically make the album better? That's what you originally asserted.
>>
>>61752467
I have no extensive formal musical education like most people on /mu/. I have studied theory for about two years and have played four different instruments (piano, saxophone, guitar and clarinet).

Now, whether or not you are "qualified to talk about music" (incredibly wanky thing to say) it really doesn't matter, if the first two things on your list of assessing the quality of music have literally nothing to do with music. Lyrical themes and concepts are not music. I repeat. Not music.
>>
>>61752554
Lodger is great, one of my favourites

maybe I'll look at Blackstar again after the dust has settled
>>
>>61752577
It helps if the music is already good without the context, which Blackstar happens to be.
>>
>>61752577
He's an idiot, forget it.
>>
>>61752577
If the album is already good yeah.
>>
>>61752578
And yet both are discussed when considering classic works all the way back to the Renaissance.
>>
>>61752094
You mean other than most other albums that are released this year?
>>
>>61752673
Discussed? Sure. There is plenty to discuss about the lyrical themes and concepts of music. It would make for interesting discussion. That doesn't make those things part of the music, does it? Think.
>>
File: wtf black star trek.gif (3 MB, 300x236) Image search: [Google]
wtf black star trek.gif
3 MB, 300x236
>>61752094
i really enjoy this album ,its good but why would you want crap for the rest of the year.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.