[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is so innovative and complex as to be nearly indecipherable.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 249x250
This album is so innovative and complex as to be nearly indecipherable. The rhythm section sounds so polyrhythmic that all rhythm is lost. The singing, vaguely interested in music, travels within alien universes. The guitar acts as atonal contracanto. The counterpoint of the ensemble is something halfway between the orchestral chaos of Charles Ives and the audacity of John Cage. The chaotic but rational improvisation is reminiscent of the frenetic geometry of Ornette Coleman, who in turn was influenced by Van Vliet. The heterogeneous meter that Van Vliet produces are to melody what the free poetry of the 1900's are to rhyme. But free-jazz and avant garde music are only alibis, pretexts to freely vent the leader's anarchical compulsions. The album is by all accounts an anthology of chaos in all its musical forms. For as deeply varied as they are from one another, these twenty-eight cuts are many versions of the same scene of devastation. Trout Mask Replica is above all a collage of abstract paintings, each different from the other in color, intensity and contrast, yet they're all homogeneous in their "abstraction".
>>
You idiot would probably say the same thing about Time Out.
>>
>>63460094
(not true, by the way)
>>
>This album is so innovative and complex as to be nearly indecipherable. The rhythm section sounds so polyrhythmic that all rhythm is lost. The singing, vaguely interested in music, travels within alien universes. The guitar acts as atonal contracanto. The counterpoint of the ensemble is something halfway between the orchestral chaos of Charles Ives and the audacity of John Cage. The chaotic but rational improvisation is reminiscent of the frenetic geometry of Ornette Coleman, who in turn was influenced by Van Vliet. The heterogeneous meter that Van Vliet produces are to melody what the free poetry of the 1900's are to rhyme. But free-jazz and avant garde music are only alibis, pretexts to freely vent the leader's anarchical compulsions. The album is by all accounts an anthology of chaos in all its musical forms. For as deeply varied as they are from one another, these twenty-eight cuts are many versions of the same scene of devastation. Trout Mask Replica is above all a collage of abstract paintings, each different from the other in color, intensity and contrast, yet they're all homogeneous in their "abstraction".

I agree.
>>
>>63460094
>And it attracted a lotta rats and uhh they closed the doors and uhh
pretty far out desu
>>
Yes, but what did you think of the album overall, OP?
>>
>>63460239
See those observations about the album are literally wrong though.
>>
Is it actually a good album? I am confused, or is it so shitty that everyone is memeing it?
>>
>>63460203
lel'd
>>
>>63460094
TLDR
>>
>>63460280
It's good don't talk about it on /mu/ though read reviews it has a good reputation literally everywhere but here.
>>
>>63460280
Just listen to it you faggot. If you don't understand it listen to the Zappa and Beefheart ablums that preceded it, some basic free jazz, then try again.
>>
>>63460280
>is regarded as one of the most important albums in the history of not just experimental music, but music as a whole
>John Peel, Matt Groening, Piero Scaruffi, John Lydon and David Lynch have cited it as some of their favorite albums of all time
>has been included in the United States National Recording Registry

yeah anon i guess everybody is memeing, it's just a shitty album
>>
so uh i started coming here a week ago, is it normal to have 50 threads about this every day? i mean come on.... how much can a single community talk about one album
>>
>>63460181
:/
>>
>>63460280
Memetano reviewed it so the underage kiddies finally discovered it so they just meme it every day.
>>
https://youtu.be/f6OxfEq8v70
>>
>>63460467
Most of the board has heard it and it's a damn divisive album, so it ends up discussed a lot.
>>
>>63460590
Sounds better than the original
>>
>>63460280
Meme
>>
>>63460181
time out is a good album though
>>
>>63461252
so is TMR
>>
>>63461213
>>63460584
>>63460359
>>63460316
>>63460307

I gave the album a listen, was okay but a bit of a struggle to get through. Put on Oasis' Masterplan afterwards and listening to Oasis was like when you drink milk to relieve yourself of the uncomfortable burning from spicy food. Trout mask replica is like the spicy food that burns your mouth.
>>
>>63461296

And you realize the milk is much less interesting than the spice that preceded it.

The analogy holds up.
>>
>>63461296
>oasis
>>
>>63461296
put your trip back on montie
>>
>>63462447
kek
>>
>>63460467
Just be glad you weren't here for when EVERY thread was about MPP
And also when EVERY thread was about ITAOTS
And when EVERY thread was about Kanye or Kendrick or Death Grips (oh wait that's still going)
>>
I am sure beefheart had all of that complexity in mind when making the album given how he is literally insane and mental faculties grossly demented and your observations are deeply insightful OP
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.