[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/ why does society not give a shit about music? the response
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2
/mu/ why does society not give a shit about music?

the response to fucking Alan Rickman has been greater than David fucking Bowie, who actually was influential in all spheres of art, not just music. and when you go into department stores, music sections are just pithy one or two rows, compared to the aisles upon aisles of film and television DVDs. nobody cares about diving into music and nobody cares about paying for it.

is society just irreparably damaged now? this wouldn't happen in the 1900s (prior to 1980) when society valued music's value in the schools and society. they've sucuumbed to the demon known as commericalism and so they think that ONE FUCKING ACTOR means more in their lives than a MUSICIAN, ACTOR, PLAYWRIGHT, ETC.

I don't know /mu/ I just don't understand the point of living anymore
>>
it's a free house jim!
>>
Grow the fuck up
>>
>>61740638
I'm probably older than you, actually.
>>
>>61740598
No, the reaction wasn't greater. At all.
>>
>>61740598
I don't know where you've been. There's been a massive response to Bowie everywhere I look. But maybe that's because I go to a liberal arts college that teaches two classes on Bowie.
>>
they're both meme celebs, who cares
>>
>>61740657
1. Anectodatlly, my friends feed has tons of people mourning Rickman. Almost no one mourned David Bowie (even though I'm at a college of music).
2. Reddit has 5 fucking posts on the frontpage about it. Bowie struggled to get what, 2?
3. /tv/'s sticky is getting a LOT more posts than Bowie's.

It's fucking definitive.
>>
I'm going to miss Marvin.
>the response to fucking Alan Rickman has been greater than David fucking Bowie
[citation needed]
>>
What the fuck Alan Rickman died what the fuck
>>
>>61740598
>back in the old days
Are you fucking kidding?
>>
>>61740685
Of course there's more posts about it, it JUST happened. Bowie died a few days ago now.

Fuck off moron.
>>
>>61740685
for some reason, bowie's sticky could only have 999 posts on it at once
/tv/ doesn't have that restriction for some reason
>>
>>61740685
I think you have a point. Most of us are probably friends with people who were also fans of Bowie, but in general people are, for lack of a better word, normies who like pulpy movies far more than anything else. The reddit example makes it especially clear, I saw a bunch of Bowie posts because I'm subscribed to niche music subreddits (and there was also one on r/metalgearsolid), but there's like 5 Rickman posts just from the defaults I never unsubscribed from like news.
>>
>>61740644
That doesn't mean you don't need to grow up. People care about different things than you you just have to deal with it.
>>
>the response to fucking Alan Rickman has been greater than David fucking Bowie
lol this isn't even remotely true
>>
>>61740741
The lemmy post had like 4000 posts I don't understand
>>
File: Untitled.png (110 KB, 1443x474) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
110 KB, 1443x474
>>61740699
Here you go.
>>61740725
It's a fact that ever since the commercialization of art back around the 70's and 80's (along with the deprioritization of music in the schools during the Cold War) music took a backseat in american culture.
>>61740730
I'm comparing them at the same times you fucking idiot.
Bowie, even right after death, didn't get this much attention.
>>61740741
No, /mu/'s eventually went up to 4000 and then rotated. /tv/'s is at 2000 when /mu/'s was only at 1000 by this time.
>>61740743
see this guy understands
>>61740749
but Bowie is OBJECTIVELY the more important icon
>>
yeah same on my feed. ppl actually posted who the fuck is bowie
but who cares about them man. it's about how u felt
>>
>>61740787
But as a musician it makes me feel like there's no point to it.
>>
>>61740685
Bowie's sticky always had 1000 posts because the old ones would get deleted, not because people didn't care about him. In fact, almost every post on the front page was about bowie.
>>
>>61740773
Damn, even your reddit game is pleb
>>
the irony is that you're complaining about the kind of vapid commercial throwaway attitude people have towards music in part because of the rock and roll temper tantrum and its subsequent posturing as an artform to save face which was helped along in part by Bowie. people are not mourning an actor more than a musician, they're mourning an avatar of consumerism more than another avatar of consumerism. Boulez deserves ten times the tears of them both and more.
>>
>>61740685
>Anectodatlly
not actual evidence.
>reddit
just stay there.
>/tv/'s sticky
posts were more conglomerated to that sticky as opposed to here where half the fucking threads were Bowie cucks jerking off with their tears to his last (and quite frankly, terrible) album
>>
>>61740598
it's the damage cause by 'reality' tv
seriously
every fag plebe in the post-industrial world who twiddle their thumbs around french fries got insecure about their idleness in a godless world
so they went all in with 'muh real life' 'muh documentaries of true humanity'
they sacrificed their dreams and their minds for the sake of their lying eyes

it's sad
>>
>>61740644
When people tell you to grow up, know that they don't mean age you horsedog, crying that people won't cry with you about your harp playing music man is sad, grow the fuck up you yout.
>>
>>61740773
>Bowie is OBJECTIVELY the more important icon

People don't do exhaustive research on a persons career then compare that to the career of someone else and then decide one person is more worthy of their sadness.

Alan Rickman reached more people, more people were aware of him, so the reaction was greater. To reiterate, people care about different things that you you just have to deal with it
>>
>>61740836
>implying reality tv was some kind of collective spiritual concession and not a result of the economics of the writers strike

pleb harder
>>
>>61740819
nigga I was on and off /mu/ for hours following Bowie's death I know what fucking happened
after a long while (which won't take as long for Rickman) they took the 4000 post sticky and made it a 1000 revovlving sticky.
>>61740825
I just don't bother unsubbing the shitty subreddits, I can ignore them.
>>61740857
I know fucking MUSICIANS who cared more about him than Bowie.
>>
>>61740803
not to be rude. but if you're only it for validation then what's the point really?
I can tell you now nobody will give a fuck if u become famous or not. besides maybe ur parents
even that ex-gf ur trying to impress might care for a minute then move on with her life.

people do not give a shit about others besides themselves.

I can name so many great literature authors and philosophies that nobody could careless about besides my atheist friends who love nietzsche
>>
>>61740598
>PLAYWRIGHT
I really hate people that use this word.

>the response to fucking Alan Rickman has been greater than David Bowie
Says who?

I only know Alan Rickman from Die Hard, Robin Hood and Galaxy Quest, where he was pretty damn good.
>>
>>61740861
the garbage they had been writing only set the stage for the killer blow
>>
>>61740873
Not being famous
I don't give a shit about being famous
I just don't want to be in an artform that nobody gives a shit about, fundamenetally
>>
>>61740869
>I know fucking MUSICIANS who cared more about him than Bowie.

It isn't a requirement of being a musician that you HAVE to like David Bowie. I'm sure there are people out there who have made great music who don't like David Bowie.
>>
>>61740685
>3. /tv/'s sticky is getting a LOT more posts than Bowie's.
What a really stupid comparison.
/tv/ is a quite bigger board than /mu/.
>>
If Alex Turner died right now he would get a bigger response than Bowie, because 16 years old care more about him and Rickman, and those are the ones who are everywhere on the internet.
>>
>>61740876
>I really hate people that use this word.
So most people involved in plays then?
>>
>>61740657
Bowie at his peak had 1.6m people tweeting about him dying. Rickman right now has 3m people tweeting. You could say because bowie died in the middle of the night for east coast but still. it's insane how irrelevant music is to most people
>>
>>61740916
I legitimately doubt that.
>>
Of course Reddit reacts more strongly to Rickman's death than Bowie's. Harry Potter is essential Reddit-core
>>
>>61740915
then become a politician
because it doesn't matter the artform some ppl will just not care
But I don't see why this is a big deal too you?
>>
>>61741011
This, it's just the Harry Potter thing.
>>
U need 2 check that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wCLmrap83E
>>
>>61741005
Then you're fucking daft. What makes you think that making good music is impossible without liking David Bowie? What about classical composers, or grime artists? What difference would Bowie make to their art?

I think what you mean is that people who don't care about David Bowie aren't going to make music that YOU like because you like David Bowie. I don't even know if you're the same guy as OP, but you need to grow up
>>
>>61741014
>because it doesn't matter the artform some ppl will just not care
Film and TV matter to a shit ton of people, it's mindless entertainment (THOUGH, NOT ART) that appeals to vulnerable pleb normy minds.
>>
>>61740598
because harry potter has deeper penetration than david bowie's shit
>>
>>61741073
nvm this is a bait thread
>>
>>61741049
will you kindly please fuck off with your awful tryhard wannabe viral shite
>>
>>61741142
It's not a b8 thread, I just thought I would say that too
>>
because rickman has been active recently in enormous blockbusters whereas bowie barely has
your friends facebook, reddit and 4chan aren't actually all of society m8
>>
>dies of cancer age 69

uh

UH
>>
>>61740598
Look at the Grammy's, of course society doesn't give a fuck
>>
>>61740598
Holy shit, both died of cancer and at the same age.
>>
>>61740598
>tfw you witness the birth of a fresh new pasta

good job OP desu
>>
>>61741564
its a scary year for 69 year old brits
>>
What about a new Bowie meme, fella
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wCLmrap83E
>>
>>61740598
Alan Rickman was actually talented.
RIP
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.