[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this guy so overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: MI000336412Dylan.jpg (20 KB, 317x400) Image search: [Google]
MI000336412Dylan.jpg
20 KB, 317x400
What exactly did he do but write a couple of sing-songy stoner nursery rhymes and sing them in a voice that sounds like a dying frog and get painted as the voice of a generation when he felt embarrassed by that title and didn't want to be associated with it?
>>
but that is adam sandler op
>>
like it or not, he was the voice of a generation. even though he didn't like that title, who the fuck gladly accepts being called something like that?
>>
>>61738992
I would agree he's kinda overrated as a singer songwriter.
Ask any songwriter who their influences are, I guarantee they'll drop Dylan's name.

That being said, he's goddamn good at it.
Besides songs in the public domain, and old traditional standards, his song's are probably the most covered by popular artists.

How many people have done a cover of Knockin on Heaven's Door?
That's right all of them.
>>
Give me a rock album that as a whole could be listened to as a serious artistic effort before Highway 61 Revisited.
>>
He wrote them first.
>>
>>61739304
Er, before Bringing It All Back Home.
>>
>>61738992
he was in 8 crazy nights and that movie was hilarious
>>
>>61739253
>I would agree he's kinda overrated as a singer songwriter.
>Ask any songwriter who their influences are, I guarantee they'll drop Dylan's name.

What kind of logic is this? How can he be overrated as a singer-songwriter if so many people claim him as an influence? If anything that's a testament to his impact on music.
>>
OP is under the age of 18.
>>
quite a descriptive b8. could do with some work though - 5.7/10
>>
>>61739253
>overrated
>everyone name drops him as an influence

lol
>>
Not a lot of artists at 65 still produced an album as good as MT.
>>
>cheeeese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdUmvjtPlQQ
>>
>>61739813
I don't get why everyone namedrops this as a late era classic. Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, [spoiler]Christmas in the Heart [spoiler] and Tempest are all better listens.
>>
>>61739825
That's a really shitty parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvs3rCFI2A
>>
>>61739836
>>61739836
His voice is clearly deteriorating by the time Tempest was recorded, however he proved that still hadn't run out of songwriting ideas.
>>
Hell be fine.
>>
>>61739312
underrated post
>>
>>61739813
That's the difference between a guy who's music is cerebral and a guy like Iggy Pop who's music is visceral. The latter can't sustain you over the age of 50. Since rock is inherently based in the visceral, you can't really make a good rock song when you're old.
>>
>>61739917
That's a really shitty parody

https://youtu.be/5ADpsIb7vfs
>>
>>61738992
>a couple of sing-songy
>a couple
He's released like 100 albums and only 2 are good.. Anyone who releases 100 albums is a fucking hack.
>>
>>61738992
i dunno about other peoples reasons for liking him but for me Blonde on Blonde is just a really enjoyable record to listen to. i feel like its just the most pleasant mix of folk and rock and roll that has ever been achieved
>>
>>61739456
I thought that's what overrated meant...
Everybody praises him for his songwriting.
Maybe I'm just retarded and phrased my post wrong.

He's amazing, but, some of his songs like Wiggle Wiggle and Under The Red Sky are just plain dumb, imo.
>>
>>61740262
TSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>61740111
>you cant really make rock when you're old
You're an idiot
>>
>>61740335
Wiggle Wiggle, yeah. Under the Red Sky is actually one of those types of songs that if you look into all the little nuggets that put it together is quite interesting.

No one really praises Dylan for that stuff anyway, it's all his 60s-75 and late career stuff. Mississippi is a phenomenal song for someone over the age of 50 to write imo. It's of Blonde on Blonde quality.
>>
>>61740405
Haven't heard a lot of his newer stuff besides Modern Times. Which I think is amazing. Despite all the songs being somewhat lengthy.

Blonde on Blonde is a masterpiece. So I'll defiantly have to look up that song on YouTube.
>>
>>61740262
yeah, fuck Frank Zappa
>>
>>61740495
Look up the Bootleg Series version when you do.
>>
>>61740335
I mean, overrated has a negative connotation. So to say he's overrated is to imply that people give him more praise than he deserves.
>>
>>61740405
I do agree that his mid-career stuff is the most neglected period.
>>
>>61740262
W/e. Black Sabbath had about four good albums in the 450 they released (including all of their solo efforts).
>>
blood on the tracks is a masterpiece and has nothing to do with weed or sing songy-ness

i rate him a 10/10 because not many come close to the quality and quantity of his songwriting skills
>>
Dylan is someone who plebs just don't understand. If you don't get his genius and level of impact on both pop and art music, you simply can't consider yourself as a serious music fan.
>>
>>61741207
Example the aging hippies who go to his shows and don't understand why he isn't a jukebox nostalgia act like the Rolling Stones.
>>
>>61740111
>>61740012
Well, I think in Dylan's case he's always played music for himself instead of an audience so he has never written songs based on fan expectation or what he thinks people want to hear.

If you take a band like Motley Crue, even if Nikki Sixx wanted to write introverted acoustic fedora songs, their fans would be like wtf because they expect a MC song to be about macho posturing and hot girls.
>>
>>61741393
Yeah but you know the saying, all writing is autobiographical. You think MC really didn't live the turbodegenerate life they sang about in the 80s?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJN79ePvhI
>>
>>61741639
They did, but now they're just a bunch of fat, bloated middle aged dads singing about teenage sluts.
>>
>>61739752
you're the worst tripfag on /mu/
>>
>>61738992
Love And Theft is literally the best album of the 00s.
>>
>>61738992
>literally wearing a fedora
>>
File: Untitled.png (500 KB, 517x519) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
500 KB, 517x519
Will Dylans death be bigger than Bowies?

It will for me atleast.
>>
File: 1452473098577.jpg (302 KB, 1080x1092) Image search: [Google]
1452473098577.jpg
302 KB, 1080x1092
>>61744257
His name is Dylan so no
>>
>>61741257
He hated hippies to begin with and spent most of 67-70 hiding in a cave and refusing to give live performances.
>>
>>61744257
No.
>>
>>61740012
Listen to Shadows in the Night, his voice actually improved a lot after Tempest.
>>
>>61744257
unless he doesn something big before his death
right now he is irrelevant
>>
he was extremely influential. just to give you an idea

>bob dylan meets the beatles and gives them pot for the first time
>the beatles get into it and make rubber soul
>brian wilson listens to rubber soul and makes pet sounds
>the beatles listen to pet sounds and make sgt. pepper
>everyone listens to sgt. pepper
>>
>>61745174
This.
Bowie went out with a bang you can't not respect

I admire Dylan as well though
>>
He wrote okay lyrics.

However, he's never written anything remotely inventive in term of rhythm, harmony, melody, instrumentation, etc.
>>
What did this guy do? He's single-handedly delivered some of the greatest and most intricate songs since the 60's. Not intricate in instrumentation, but in lyrics. The key to Dylan is to understand that his voice is unique and though its gotten terrible over the years, it's an enigma. And I agree with you that he didn't want to be the voice of the generation, but he's a damn good musician because he's a poet and a singer, and I recommend going back and listening to his earlier stuff.
>>
>>61744311

Lel did you get that from the DfP facebook page?
>>
>>61746657
>Not intricate in instrumentation, but in lyrics
Aka the worst kind of "music".
>>
>>61746493
what is mr tambourine man
>>
>>61738992
>Being this contrarian

What is causing these annoying shitposts on /mu/ recently?
>>
I'm a Dylan fan and I think he's overrated as a pop culture icon, but not as a musician. He really never wanted to be a pop culture icon and hated the way the public saw him.

Relevant video: https://youtu.be/a_j0e-ApfNQ
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.