[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pink Floyd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Side_of_the_Moon.png
22 KB, 300x300
is this really their best? why/why not?
>>
>>61725732
>why/why not?

Any Colour You Like
>>
piper is their best
>>
>>61725769
babbies first snowflake opinion
>>
>>61725831
it's true tho
>>
>>61725732
I listened to one other album which was wish you were here and it was much better so no.
>>
meddle is their best
>>
>>61726464
Came here to say this. Experimental but simple and well realized.
>>
>>61725732

Yes because i'm not an edgy retard.

literally god tier lyrics and guitar
>>
File: metal gear ghost babbel.jpg (25 KB, 389x388) Image search: [Google]
metal gear ghost babbel.jpg
25 KB, 389x388
>>61726576

>god tier lyrics
>>
I prefer Animals. But any of DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, and Animals is a fine choice for best PF album. Piper is just contrarian.
>>
>>61726615

>hipster

What do they have better?

wish you were here - muh Syd Barret

Animals - dae layers are dogs and bankers are pigs *wink *wink
>>
dsotm is monumentally okay, the pinnacle extremity of fine, the overwhelming champion of decency

i'd rather listen to just about anything else of theirs, even the worse stuff
>>
>>61725769
>I don't like to go with the flow so I pretend to like their experimental shit, so everyone knows I'm different
>>
>>61725732
It's their best because it's their all encompassing album. Their equivalent of what Soundtracks For The Blind is for Swans. The psych of Piper, experimentalism of the album's between Piper and Meddle, conceptual of The Wall, synths of Meddle, grandness of Animals, and jams of Wish You Were Here all in one.
>>
>>61726756
>Their equivalent of what Soundtracks For The Blind is for Swans
wtf
>>
File: cover_54531715102008.jpg (96 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
cover_54531715102008.jpg
96 KB, 500x495
Animals is the only album by Pink Floyd which I consider incredible from start to finish. Other albums, such as The Division Bell, The Wall and Meddle have absolute masterpieces within them (ie, High Hopes, Comfortably Numb, Echoes, etc) however, they lack the consistency that Animals has.
>>
>>61726782
Yeah, Ummagumma is the obvious SFTB of Pink Floyd's career.
>>
>>61725732
It just sounds so grand and great.
>>
File: Tips.jpg (5 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
Tips.jpg
5 KB, 299x168
>>61726813
Edgy
>>
>>61726800

I think PF have given the music world some of the best albums. I feel like people like Animals a lot mostly because it's the most challenging album. Thou I will have to ultimately say that DSOTM is my favourite, it just sounds better to me and I'm not trying to be a hipster who hates on it because it's their most popular one. For all I think PF are the only dadcore band that has the same quality like indie rock bands such as radiohead
>>
>>61726900
you only misused two memes at once

try for more next time
i believe in you
>>
>>61726782
Like the album that combines all the styles of the band in one. SFTB for Swans. Dsotm for Floyd.
>>
>>61726914
Oh I completely agree
>>
>>61726707
I think he means that lyrics can never be important enough to be called 'god tier'. Also nice meme.
>>
>>61725769
Piper's shit.
>sage
Animals is objectively their best
Animals > WYWH > DSOTM
>>
>>61725769
You're fucking deaf and severely autistic
>>
Wish You Were Here would be unanimously, if it wasn't for Welcome to the Machine
>>
>>61727087
Eh, WYWH feels like more watered down and accessible version of Yes' stuff. Floyd has never been the band known for complex instrumental jams. The first two minutes of Close To The Edge alone have more happening than a single bit of WYWH.
>>
you must try Atom Hearth Mother. that shit dope.
>>
Animals > DSotM > WYWH > Meddle > The Wall > Everything else
>>
>>61725732
Animals and The Wall are their best, because Waters had the most control over those albums
>>
>>61725732
Piper is the only Pink Floyd album of any significant worth
>>
>>61725769

no way

>>61726738
>piper
>experimental

good one, anon

>>61727001

>piper's shit
once again, no way

Animals is a good choice for their best tho
>>
>>61727582
"Gilmour has said the album was 'a load of rubbish. We were at a real down point ... I think we were scraping the barrel a bit at that period'"
"Waters said 'If somebody said to me now – right – here's a million pounds, go out and play Atom Heart Mother, I'd say you must be fucking joking.'"
Pretty sure they also said that they would be happy if it was thrown in the trash and never listened to by anyone every again.
Not saying I agree, actually I love the Suite and listen to it all the time. Just sharing what the Pink Floyd themselves think of Atom Heart Mother.
>>
>>61727804
interesting. I mean it has like 3 good songs and the rest its "meh".
>>
Okay here's the official patrician rating

1.piper 7/10
2. Saucerful 8/10
3.More 5/10
4. Ummagumma 5.5/10
5. Atom mother heart 6/10
6. Meddle 7/10
7. Obscured by Clouds 7/10
8. Dsotm 6.5/10
9. WYWH 7.5/10
10. Animals 7.5/10
11. The Wall 6/10
12. Final Cut 5/10
13. Who the fuck cares 1/10
14. Division bell 4/10
15. River 3/10
>>
>>61727943
i like how you think ummagumma is better than the division bell
>>
>>61727897
Yeah AHM is definitely not my top pick, but I enjoy it for what it is. The Suite is great just as their other long psychedelic songs like Interstellar, Saucerful, Echoes. Other than that they're kind of boring songs.

>>61727943
Why are none of them above 8? Pink Floyd is much better than you are rating them for. And you place Saucerful as their top album? What track(s) make you think that? None of them are remarkable, the Saucerful versions of Set the controls and Saucerful of Secrets aren't even great. Ummagumma has the good versions of those. You're way of the mark on just about all the albums.
>>
>>61728020
that's a universal opinion
>>
>>61728052

Nah man Pink Floyd is shit. Don't you know reddit and dads venerate them?

the band in my town is better than them. only me and my friend heard them play till' now thou.
>>
>>61727943
I fucking care 5/10

Pretty sure absolutely despising A Momentary Lapse of Reason is just a meme by now. It was definitely better than The Final Cut.

Fucking Rogerfags
>>
>>61728059
ur trolling
>>
>>61728121
you need to lurk moar, newfag
>>
>>61728139
name 1 song on umma thats better than say: high hopes
>>
>>61728176
every
fucking
song
>>
>>61728206
xd
>>
>>61728086
ok

>>61728087
Honestly I'm a big Floyd and Rog fan and haven't listened to any album past The Final Cut. I'll give them a good shot eventually. I don't want to hate them, I just like the Rog's sound from albums like TFC better than meh lyrics and ok songs.
>>
>>61727943
>dat scaruffidrone ratings

Animals can easily be a 9 out of a 10
>>
>>61728176
don't be silly
>>
>>61728246
As a forewarning:

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is basically a David Gilmour solo album, as he wrote 90% of the content, but if it was actually released as a solo effort, it would definitely be the best out of his solo works. He claims that Roger was depending too much on the lyrics on the previous release, so he tried to make it sound as good as he could, while not caring too much about lyrics.

The Division Bell is one of the most chill rock albums I know. A large portion of its lyrics were written by his wife, journalist Polly Sampson, who writes most of the lyrics in his solo efforts, as well as writing "Louder Than Words" from The Endless River. Thus, many of the lyrics have a more pop feel than earlier Floyd albums, but even so, they're not that bad, especially compared to those on AMLOR or TER. Rick writes one of the songs on it. High Hopes is considered one of their best songs.

The Endless River is a collection of recordings from when Rick was still around. Some from Division Bell outtakes, one from 1968, and a few from this and then. It's mostly instrumental, with one song at the end. It's lyrics aren't that good. The album has a nice flow, but has a tendency to build up for a long time without actually delivering anything special. Probably the worst in their discog, but still decent.
>>
WYWH > The Wall > Animals > DSOTM
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.