[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you first get into David Bowie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 20
How did you first get into David Bowie?
>>
i never did and felt literally nothing when he died
>>
lego rockband
>>
Wait a few years or people might think you're a poser

which you are
>>
V young age because my dad worked with him a few times
>>
Karaoke desu
>>
>>61711597
I was like 12 playing guitar hero. I played the level over and over again just so I could hear Ziggy Stardust more. It was the first song that I remember loving, and it was just the beginning of my love of music
>>
Family would put on ziggy stardust and we'd all listen to it around Christmas time or whenever we felt like it. Whenever space oddity or any other hits came on we'd all sing along, or at least my mom dad and sister would. I was the most pleb and only got into him after mom n dad split and sis moved away
>>
>>61711597
I was 12 or 13 and saw a television series called 'Life on Mars'. Later on, followed by 'Ashes to Ashes'
>>
>>61711628
Go to sleep baby eno
>>
As I said on the their other board, before he died I didn't even know if he was American or British, or even alive. After the hype, I looked up his top ten songs, and every one I checked was a 3/10 at best.

Now let me get back to my instrumental prog.
>>
>>61711597
>Parents had Ziggy Stardust on vinyl
>Would hear Starman, Changes, Space Oddity, Rebel Rebel, Lets Dance, Heroes on the radio frequently growing up.
It just seems like he was always there.
>>
Nirvana Unplugged, of course. That album (and many of their interviews) introduced me to a lot of great bands/artists when I was younger.

I still like their version of Man Who Sold the World better than Bowie's.
>>
>>61711597
Got into him when he died
>>
Because they play him literally fucking everywhere. Did you people grow up in Siberia?
>>
brian eno and fripp
>>
/mu/ told me to
>>
>>61711744
This, Man Who Sold the World.

Some time later I played LoL, and the character I was playing with (Corky, the helicopter guy) kept repeating something along the lines of 'Major Tom to ground control'. I looked it up and bam, Space Oddity.
>>
>I still like their version of Man Who Sold the World better than Bowie's.

Probably the worst opinion I've ever heard
>>
>>61711641
Same
>>
>>61711597
life on mars and space oddity got me hooked
>>
At 14. A girl sent to me "Life on Mars?" and I though "this is gay as fuck, this isn't power metal".

Later, when I was 16. I was watching Ian Curtis biography movie and "Drive-in Saturday" starts playing and instantly I fell in love

Good times.
>>
>>61711597
A glory hole in East London
>>
My granfather, who was a huge fan, heard his voice when I was watching Labyrinth as a kid.
I didn't even finish the movie until years later because the next few hours was spent with him showing me all of Bowie's music.

I'll always think fondly of Bowie's music because it's all great plus the added bonding.
>>
Labyrinth - even though it's simple and gay as fuck, Magic Dance is still one of my favorite songs of his just because of how many times I played that scene and sung along as a kid.
>>
File: George-Soros-008.jpg (28 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
George-Soros-008.jpg
28 KB, 460x276
I heard he died because you killed him.

Speaking of which, pic related. Hell be fine.
>>
>>61711858
>At 14. A girl sent to me "Life on Mars?" and I though "this is gay as fuck, this isn't power metal".

t o p
k e k e
>>
>>61711828
not really

>Bowie said of Nirvana's cover: "I was simply blown away when I found that Kurt Cobain liked my work, and have always wanted to talk to him about his reasons for covering 'The Man Who Sold the World' and that "it was a good straight forward rendition and sounded somehow very honest. It would have been nice to have worked with him, but just talking with him would have been real cool".[16] Bowie called Nirvana's cover "heartfelt," noting that "until this [cover], it hadn't occurred to me that I was part of America's musical landscape. I always felt my weight in Europe, but not [in the US]."[17]

Anyway, I like Bowie overall more than Nirvana now. I've just always loved that cover.
>>
he fucked me when i was 8
>>
heard about his death. lastfm'd his best songs. not really my kind of music but I could imagine other people could be into it.
>>
>>61712020
You're a nice person.

would marry/10
>>
last year
listened to a bunch of his albums, genuinely found the most recent one at the time (2013) to be the standout
>>
>>61711695
*tipping hard*
>>
Why does the song Blackstar remind me of that one Radiohead song?
>>
>>61712094
Black Star by Radiohead?
>>
>>61712094
because pleb
>>
>>61712094
the same lack of inspiration melodywise?
>>
I started listening when I heard he died.
god i hate being born in the wrong generation.
>>
>>61712094
I was vaguely reminded of These Are My Twisted Words when I first heard Blackstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DgBfiXXzic
>>
>>61712094
Pyramid Song - because of the flattened 2nd chord progression
>>
I never did. He died so I decided to check out his last album.
Pretty solid album desu, can't see myself checking out his older stuff though because it'll feel fake as fuck just going through his discography because he died after having no impact on my life.
>>
i think i heard life on mars on that uk tv show with same name
>>
>>61712179
Stop being hipster desu and go listen to one of greatest artist of all time.
>>
I had a Queen CD with Under Pressure on it and I only listened to that song and Bohemian Rhapsody. I was like 7. I eventually got introduced to proper Bowie over the years, but I don't recall now at this point. It seems like I always loved him.
>>
>>61711597
always known about bowie. popular stuff, films, etc.
was downloading blackstar, thought to myself "sweet new bowie" then about 2 hours later i see on facebook he's died, this morbid.

dont feel bad about piracy tho.
>>
>>61712179
Fucking this >>61712198
Who gives a shit if he had no impact on you. Even if his style of music isn't your type of thing, he has been a music legend throughout the years and that alone is a reason to go through his music.
>>
>>61712179
It's like says:
>I will not listen to renascence because i wasn't born
Bowie is literally an essential artist to music lovers.
>>
>>61711597
Raw Power by the Stooges, and then following the Iggy/Bowie connection, I got the Berlin albums and Station to Station.
>>
>>61712198
>>61712226
>>61712246
There was a time I was going to check him out but the only downloads I could find of his discography were shitty remasters so I just gave up.
Now I don't really care so I'll do it another time when I feel like it rather than just cus he died.
>>
When I was 16 and I was angst ridden and was probably going through a nu-metal phase. I probably heard Kurt's shitty cover of "The Man Who Sold The World". Then a friend forced me to watch Labyrinth for the first time. Eh sort of glad I found out about him when I did.
>>
Rolling Stone 500 best songs/albums, saw his name here and there which I recognized. It's kind of embarrassing how many artists I got into this way.
>>
Almost 10 years ago at 14. My aunt had the "I'm Afraid of Americans" single and I really liked it.
>>
>>61711744
this, Nirvana introduced me to a lot of great music, and while i dont listen to them anymore i aprriciate what they did
>>
about an hour after he died ah I mean yeah years ago big long time fan what a great guy what a legend truly changed my life
>>
>>61711597
>How did you first get into David Bowie?

>parents were fans of his in the 60s/70s
>used to listen to him constantly when they got their first place together and married before I was born
>they saw him live
>I saw him Live in 1996 during his "Little Wonder era"
>Five Years was played at my dads funeral

That's how I got into Bowie, though I had never considered myself a "fan" I never bought any of his albums, I didn't really have to as my parents had them anyway.

I still cried a little when he passed because I did like a lot of his music and what he stood for, and it was like losing a bit of my father too as he was a big fan, I think my mum felt the same, as Bowie was a big part of my parents lives and mine too in a way.

>
>>
>>61712428
underage ban
>>
>>61711739
this for me too
>>
I want somebody to get into him because he died. I want him to change their lives forever. I want this to be part of this legacy.
>>
I don't remember exactly but one day I came across space oddity and I liked it. I had a friend and her father was really into Bowie, and I got interested. So I bought Ziggy Stardurst and instantly fell in love with him. It was my first vinyl. After that, whenever I was at my friend's place and her father was there we would sit in the livingroom and listen to Bowie together. He even gave me his old diamond dogs vinyl for my 18th birthday. To be honest, I had a bit of a crush on my friends father, we could talk about music for hours.
>>
>>61712533
yeah I had a listen due to all the hype and it seems like it really just is hype

bunch of overrated sloppy glam-rock wank

I mean the man's image was impeccable, I guess that's why so many people buy into it

got to give it to him, he knew what he was doing
>>
Zoolander then vh1
>>
>>61711597
I know I'm definitely getting shit for this, but I didn't truly appreciate how great Bowie's music was until I heard the news and listened to Blackstar for the first time.

Ever since then, I've been blasting about 13 of his albums (mostly 70's era) non-stop. The guy was a fucking genius.
>>
About five years ago, I was 13 or 14, and I found out I was gay. I was pretty self-loathing asshole at the time, but the homoeroticism of his Ziggy Stardust period made me feel a bit more human.
>>
>>61712572
yea you got it buddy
40 years of people listening to his music and you, 1 idiot kid from /mu/, got to the bottom of it and figured out that we were all just being duped
congrats
>>
I was at a hotel, he took me into a bath, massaged me, and then sexed me up when I was 13.
>>
My dad used to put Bowie full blast first thing in the morning while showering/shaving every day.
By the age of 10 i could probably recite the entire Ziggy just by osmosis.
>>
>>61712623
duped? I doubt it
what I'm saying is that Bowie was a master at presenting style in place of music - form before function if you will
you genuinely enjoyed it, but what you thought it was was not what you enjoyed

it's ok, he did it very well
>>
I saw pictures of him when I was nine and thought he looked scarier than Alice Cooper, and then I saw him on The Midnight Special doing 1984, and was impressed. I', one of those plebs who lost interest after 1975, and thought the glam years were the best. At least I admit it.
>>
the man who fell to earth, The Hunger, Yellowbeard and of course labyrinth back in the the 80's when i was little.
>>
>>61712678
ohhhh
i think i get it now
see, every time i used to put one of his records on i would always end up turning it off and just look at pictures of him instead
i didn't really know why cause im not to smart i guess
luckily someone of youre intellect came along 2 help me out
thanks!
>>
>>61712635
Yawn.
>>
>>61712771
look, calm down friend
there is nothing wrong with enjoying it, even if you don't understand why you do

he was very good at it, like I said, it's no fault of your own that you took the bait
>>
File: 1452500222752.jpg (147 KB, 736x979) Image search: [Google]
1452500222752.jpg
147 KB, 736x979
>>61711597
Few years ago, started with Best of compilation and gradually got into
>>
He was my dad's all time favourite artist. He had been bugging me all month to watch and listen to Blackstar, he was awfully excited for the full album. That, and visiting /mu/ more exposed me to his whole discography the past few months.
>>
>>61712797
no i'm being serious
i'm glad you started listening to him 2 days ago, got it all figured out, and let 40+ years of music listeners let us know why we were all wrong
>>
Well Heroes it's always been everywhere, but I started to get into him when I became interested in new wave and post-punk, after reading "Rip it Up and start again" by Simon Reynolds.
>>
>>61712858
happy to be of service - don't get me wrong I don't want to seem arrogant, I'm not better than you, I am just very perceptive and pick up on things many other people miss

either way, it's OK
>>
My favorite laid-back Bowie interview form the 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBocfwbzT7w
>>
I knew him vaguely in my dad-rock phase, when I was like 11 or 12, then I started watching life on mars which was airing at that time on tv, learned that the song was in the album hunky dory, and bought the cd

Since then i was more into ladrocks but /mu/ happened and i discovered more of his works. Hunky dory is still my best bowie album tho
>>
>>61711597
Lets Dance
Back in the 80s when I was a kid. I liked his outfit in the video.
>>
>>61711597
Around the time Blackstar was released.
>>
>>61712582
I'm sure that would've made him very happy, knowing that his death made people discover his life's work in a fond new light.

What more could an artist ask for, really?
>>
>>61711597
Bought Earthling in 1997, then proceeded to get the rest of his albums from Napster a couple of years later. Many parties with his music.
>>
I only properly paid attention once I heard Blackstar on TV and then when I heard about his death. Then we watched Labirynth on Monday evening. He was always a kind of ubiquitous figure in music, I don't know why I shielded myself from his work for so long.

I want to learn a lot more about him. As far as I've heard, I'm already hooked on his old songs .
>>
At a young age my uncle introduced me to David Bowie and a plethora of other glam rock bands (Roxy Music, T. Rex, Slade, Sparks and so on). On rare occasions my family would travel to Washington DC to see my father's brother and his "roommate" Mark; in hindsight the reason I did not see much of my uncle as a child was because my parents were uncomfortable with the fact that he was gay though at the time I was unaware of that fact and assumed he was just a world weary eccentric like Scar from Lion King. In fact I called him Uncle Scar, but I digress. David Bowie was Uncle Scar's favorite artist and he used to play Bowie's Glam Era records when we came to visit; I quite enjoyed the records he would play and discussing music with him in general.

I did not explore Bowie's entire discography until I was older and have not look back since.
>>
>>61711597
listen'd to a best a bowie CD every night as I fell asleep in Grade 7.
>>
The first reply should've been "Dressed like Mick Jagger" and then the rest of the thread should've just been reaction images.

Fucking neo-/mu/ man. You're doing it wrong.
>>
>be 8 years old
>parents take me to Glastonbury 2000
>Bowie headlines the pyramid stage on Sunday
>enjoy myself but the levity is lost on me
>the experience was a catalyst for me getting into music
>about a year later
>listen to Nirvana
>hear Man Who Sold the World
>ohshititsthatdude
>listen to Bowie at regular intervals for the rest of my life

I never even really considered who much I like Bowie until he died which makes me feel shitty. But also his music has never not been in my life.
Thank you for the memories David.
>>
Pretty sure it was through Greenriver's cover of Queen Bitch.
>>
>>61711597

When he died, like everyone else
>>
I didn't

tried once, to see what the hypes was, same with Beatles

both did nothing for me, sounded boring, tired, uninspired and trite
>>
>>61711597
i asked him
>>
Found him in my parents record collection when I was like 7 and we had a coffee table book on him and thought he was the coolest person growing up .
>>
I decided I should listen to him like a week before he died, so I listened to low. I'm not gonna call myself a "fan" though, I don't want to seem insincere.
>>
>>61711610
pretty much
>>
I sort of inherited interest in Bowie from my dad. He used to be a pitcher for FSU in the 80's and his pre-game ritual when he was scheduled to start would be to listen to 'let's dance'. To this day I feel like bowie's best music are the songs you listen to when your in a good mood. 'Oh you pretty things', 'modern love', 'ashes to ashes', and 'heroes' can all make a good day even better.... And now that I think about it 'God knows I'm good' brings me to fucking tears ever time I hear it... So I guess he's a great sad song writer as well
>>
>>61714162
I dare you to be a worse human being
>>
I've been a fan since a young age in the 80's when I was 7 or 8. First with the movie Labyrinth, then with his music along with bands like Queen, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.
>>
>>61711597
Dad got me "Best Of Bowie" for Christmas when I was 9.
>>
>>61711597
When i was 5 my dad showed me the movie "Labyrinth" cause he likes jim henson and bowie. That beautiful man grew on me since.
>>
My mom played his music a lot. I didn't care until I saw Labyrinth, which inspired me to check him out.
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust was the first album I ever listened to on my own.
>>
>>61712678
go to bed piero
>>
>>61711597
I'd spent so long avoiding his albums that I decided fuck it, I'd give his new album a listen. Was really impressed.

Then he died 2 days later.

Sorry everyone.
>>
>>61711695
The question was when not if.
>>
gta San Andreas
>>
>>61714649
Exactly this.
>>
>>61714649
you are underage, so you really had not been ignoring his albums that long
>>
I listened to Blackstar the day before he died.
>>
>>61712579
This desu
>>
>>61712808
Same.
>>
>>61711597
My mum showed me the song Space Oddity when I was around 14 or so. Listened to his music intensively for a few years.
>>
>>61714744
lol same here. And I mostly gave it a listen because of the musicians he took (Mark Gulliana and Jason Lindner are both really amazing). Never really liked him before that and loved that album.

But now i've listened to Hunky Dory and it's pretty great.

>>61714162
so what do you listen to?
>>
>>61714727
>you are underage
I'm 26 though
>>
>>61714828
bloops
>>
File: XGILqNM.jpg (25 KB, 540x131) Image search: [Google]
XGILqNM.jpg
25 KB, 540x131
I got into him after I listened to his new album. This was literally a day before he died and I couldn't help but feel sad.
>>
>>61714834
gay
>>
I was really young and my mother a few Greatest Hits collections of his. When I get a little older and had more spending money I purchased a few of his albums.

Pretty simple really, I couldn't be more glad that I've had his music to listen to most of my life.
>>
>>61714887
when Blackstar leaked. I had a total of 3 days to listen to him while he was still alive, it still hurt
>>
>>61714024
You got to see him live. That's amazing. I am envious.
>>
>>61713709
I hope you and Uncle Scar still talk, anon. That was a nice story.
>>
>>61711597
I started listening to Bowie after I saw the life aquatic and bought the seu jorge album. I wasn't even aware they were all Bowie covers when I bought it because I basically only knew suffragette city and ziggy stardust. I loved that album, and then started to look into Bowie, starting with hunky dory and ziggy stardust because that was what was covered.
>>
>>61711597
he died and then i listened to low and i sorta liked it
>>
I had heard Changes a billion times before when I was a kid and Ziggy Stardust on Guitar Hero, but then there was one summer years ago when /mu/ did listen-along threads every night, and one of the early ones was The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars. I was hooked immediately once I heard Five Years and binged on Bowie pretty much every summer since then. I used to walk around my hometown at 4 AM as the sun just started getting bright and I would almost always be listening to "Heroes" or Ziggy. Those walks were one of the only bright spots of living in that place so Bowie's music is associated with a huge chunk of the good memories of my teenage years. Then after The Next Day came out I didn't really listen to him much at all until the video for Blackstar came out, and then I got more into him than ever and the album was awesome and I cried huge crocodile tears as I listened to Five Years when I learned he had died.
>>
File: 1446619486982.jpg (234 KB, 1195x1184) Image search: [Google]
1446619486982.jpg
234 KB, 1195x1184
>>61711597
>be me 8yr
>grandpa spinning some records
>hey little anon!, check this David B-O-W-I-E album
>cool, who is he?, is he old?, lol.
>oh yeah anon he is old but his music is good, he is a HOMOSEXUAL though.
>i-is it bad grandpa?
>no lol, i think he slept with the guy from the rolling stones, rockstars are weird like that!
>i'll check him out ASAP!
>checked him up 5 years later lol
>*illegally downloads LOW*
>*clicks play*
>EUPHORIC
>>
How do I get into Bowie? Is there a flowchart or something?
>>
>>61715271
listen to his fucking music you dweeb
>>
File: dude heroin lmao.jpg (206 KB, 790x1102) Image search: [Google]
dude heroin lmao.jpg
206 KB, 790x1102
this entire film was one big advert for bowie tbbh

[spoiler]still a great film [/spoiler]
>>
>>61715271
>Changes
>then the Berlin trilogy, skip Lodger
>then listen to The Next Day and Blackstar in that order.
you are welcome
>>
my english teacher talked about him in class one time and i torrented his discography when i got home

it hurts so much ;_;
>>
>>61715343
>skip Lodger
Fuck off.
>>
Labrynth
>>
When I was a kid I watched Labrynth and had a crush on him. My parents were big into Bowie so he got played fairly often so I got exposed a lot throughout my life. Actively started listening to his music when I was like 14.
>>
>>61715343
good flowchart for scaring people away from Bowie
>>
>always heard Bowie's hits because he was fucking massive and how do you avoid that
>enjoyed everything I heard and admired his stage presence and pageantry
>always figure I'd get round to listening to his albums in full later
>he dies
>Feel obligated to go through his entire back catalogue
Just finished Young Americans. David Bowie 67 is underrated but Ziggy Stardust is his best album.
>>
>>61711695
>joining threads to talk shit
>writing that much shit
>listening to songs
when's your flight back to /b/?
>>
>>61715271
Start with Space Oddity, or Hunky Dory if you're impatient, and just go on.
Everything from there to Let's Dance is great. The rest is mixed, but worth hearing if you're a fan.
>>
Checked Next Day when it released, didn't like it, checked Reality, liked it
>>
File: 1452663989867.png (386 KB, 980x1112) Image search: [Google]
1452663989867.png
386 KB, 980x1112
>>
>>61715606
link me to where that is so I can laugh at it
>>
I tried to listen to Ziggy Stardust last year because of his popularity and I couldn't get halfway through it before shutting it off; It sounded as boring as every other universally praised dadrock album. When he died I listened to Blackstar and I guess it had some nice bits but overall it didn't really appeal to me; I thought the jazzier bits were uncalled for and ruined the mood in most of the tracks they were employed, and a lot of the production and other sounds and textures seemed outdated, eschewing a very stale atmosphere throughout the record.

I like changes though.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 544x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 544x720
>>61712635
is this you????.
>>
>>61715680
Hot.
>>
After reading this book back in my teens. That book is probably not well known outside of europe. It's about a teenage girl in Berlin who gets addicted to heroin and her favorite artist happens to be David Bowie. They even made a movie adaptation in which Bowie had a cameo.
https://youtu.be/r5PJ4pYzrlA
>>
>>61715750
Bowie scene starts at https://youtu.be/r5PJ4pYzrlA?t=36m13s
>>
>>61715680
Looks 23.
>>
>>61715653
lol pleb, maybe you're better off sticking to Kanye, Katy, and Taylor. Much too complicated for your pleb brain.
>>
>>61711597
I watched Lost Highway
>>
gotta be the labyrinth

>>61715852
lmao cool your jets, you're trying too hard to fit in
>>
>>61711597
When he died.
>>
Shrek 2
>>
I never did
After he died I downloaded Ziggy Stardust, Heroes, and Low.
They're really good, am I a bandwagoner?
>>
>>61716163
yes, and a child
>>
>>61716163
sure
who cares though, you've found music you like
>>
>>61711597
My parents used to have the 2002 best-of in the car on a practically permanent basis back when it first came out.
>>
>>61715901
Fuck fitting in, fitting in is for faggots who can't think for themselves and have no discernable traits of their own. Stroke your cock for me.
>>
>>61716210
haha wow man that is a very 4chan response lol
>>
File: faggot.jpg (25 KB, 480x488) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
25 KB, 480x488
>>61716210
>>
What is some soul music that inspired young americans?
This guy is good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxUSQC-KAHM
>>
File: 1410192240662.png (128 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1410192240662.png
128 KB, 800x800
>>61716225
>>
I was about 10 years old and on neopets (lmao). Someone on the forums posted about how much they loved Bowie. I looked him up and listened to Space Oddity - it was the best thing I'd heard at that point in time. He was the artist that actually got me into music.
>>
File: google image search me.jpg (103 KB, 338x340) Image search: [Google]
google image search me.jpg
103 KB, 338x340
>>61716231
BEND AWA THEN.
>>
Literally two weeks before he died. Someone shared his discography in the sharethread. Now all of the normies in my life are accusing me of being big into Bowie because he died recently while they're only familiar with all of his most known singles.
>>
>>61715464
lol, those where his only serious musical efforts.
everybody knows he made all the other albums to keep himself relevant and be part of the american top 40's and fill his pockets with cash, not everything the man did was good, he made use of cringey gimmicks to sell his inferior music.

>Berlin trilogy: learns to produce and record, then makes the album himself on the studio and tour with a great funky band.
>all the other inferior albums: dresses himself as a clown to sell concert tickets.
>>
Hey fellas,

Check out this exclusive Bowie footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wCLmrap83E
>>
>>61711597
Suffragette City was in Rock Band. I listened to Ziggy sometime later and never looked back.
>>
>>61716385
stop posting faggot
>>
I'm not sure, I guess I listened to him when I was like 4 because my dad liked some of his songs
>>
By listening to Black Star
>>
This way:
>>
Was a wrong generation kid in high school and Bowie was one of the people I'd listen to, though I never really listened that much to him at that point. Space Oddity (or David Bowie) was my favorite album of his at this point because of that. When I cleared out most of the stuff I didn't listen to when branching out I deleted his stuff too. I then went and redownloaded most of his discography early in 2014 or maybe a bit earlier and listened through it.
>>
Through Eno. I was a fan of his ambient for a while but never listened to his early glam rock and I gave that a try and I loved it and as I working through his discography and saw he worked Bowie. I gave Low a listen and instantly fell in love and listened to Bowie's whole discography
>>
sometime in late middle school or early high school

I didn't get really into his music until about 4-5 years ago but when I was in hs I had like one or two of his hits
>>
First song I learned on guitar was space oddity because of my teacher
>>
>>61711695
>let me get back to my instrumental prog
kek, you got me there anon
>>
File: photo-10[1].jpg (2 MB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
photo-10[1].jpg
2 MB, 2048x2048
2002 ish. listening to some Bowie classics off Napster. Bought 'Heathen'

Love the entire album.
>>
i was a big NIN fan and I'm Afraid of Americans got me to try Outside which I loved and listened to for years before branching out into his other stuff
>>
Through basic radio exposure as a youngin'. Mostly a fan of his Thin White Duke work at that time but later went back into the Ziggy/Aladdin Sane stuff after playing Ziggy Stardust on Guitar Hero like the dweeby pleb I was. I would always go back to Bowie now and then, and was legit surprised to see Bowie working on new stuff back last November.

I don't usually get too sad about celebrity passing. I was a half-drugged, post-Wisdom Tooth removal mess when Michael Jackson passed and all I could think about was how ironic it was that I was basically coming off the same shit that killed MJ. Bowie's death caught me after a round of Stouts at the local hofbrau, and I managed to get one more before last call to toast his life. Bowie's death is one of maybe a couple of high profile deaths that actually made me sad.
>>
File: berlinbowie.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
berlinbowie.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>be at high school
>"that kid" actually tells something makes sense
>"you know my father says that the greatest voice is David Bowie"
>who is he?

It was late 2002. The things that kid said stayed on my mind and I went out to buy a full bootleg discography and started from the '69 album.

Didn't quite get into it and laid of for a few years till I saw Trainspotting and listened "Golden Years" and "Nightclubbing" and ofc "Lust for Life" in the soundtrack.

After that I went to his Ziggy phrase and 5 years later I went on the Thin White Duke, Berlin Trilogy and 80's Phil Collinsesque output.

I yet to listen to his 2000's output because I want something to be special for me later years.

Thing with Bowie is as you grow up his music and his periods grows up with you.
>>
>>61717825
it's like on reddit
>>
Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I found myself imagining David Bowie in Hell – which led immediately to praying quietly for his soul. I hope that maybe in his last days, unbeknownst to us, or in his final moments, unbeknownst to anyone but he and God, there was a moment of grace? Of conversion? Of knowing that only Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

But..let us not kid ourselves! David lived a selfish life, did what he wanted to do, did what he desired, created his own empire of dirt for himself.

What at all did he do for God? He surely didn't live his life for him. He surely wasn't being used by him to spread the gospel. He surely didn't bow down to Jesus as his Lord and Majesty. He continued in sin until cancer killed him.

I'm confident David is in hell wishing he saw through his own bullshit. May you be tormented forever David in all the ways God deems that you deserve.
>>
>>61717850
here is your reply
>>
>>61717975
haha cutting edge wit m8

i like neil degrasse tyson too

SCIENCE
>>
I'M COMING HOME
>>
File: bandslam04.jpg (388 KB, 3600x2401) Image search: [Google]
bandslam04.jpg
388 KB, 3600x2401
I was a huge faggot than I started to write to him then I made a band then we sucked and I was a huge faggot then bowie replied

pic related, me
>>
>>61711597

It was easy. I roofied him. From there the rest was easy
>>
I never even thought to have a listen to his music. I saw the post with my buds on skype a few nights ago, I listened to Blackstar and got hooked instantly.
>>
>>61711597
It was a legendery moment 2 months ago.

I caught up to JoJo's manga and was bored.
Looked at some references.
Diego has a stand called Scary Monsters.
I then listened to Scary Monsters.
It started from there.
began to be his fan just a couple of weeks before he died ;_;
no nostalgia bias ftw
>>
I'm a sheep and listen to what everyone else does, I heard someone say Bowie is good music so I listened to him too because then I can say I listen to good music too.
>>
Under Pressure by Queen and David Jones
>>
>>61711695
Sir, could you recommend me a nice fedora, porfavor?
>>
Parents were big fans and used to play his albums all the time, particularly 70s era stuff.
It's just something I grew up listening to.
>>
File: iriverT30.jpg (17 KB, 377x237) Image search: [Google]
iriverT30.jpg
17 KB, 377x237
>>61711597
When I was 11 my dad gave me his old iRiver T30, which had a pirated copy of Space Oddity on it.

Years later, in the wake of all the hype surrounding Blackstar (i.e. like 6 days ago) I thought to myself "You know, I should really familiarize myself with more Bowie" so I spend a few days listening to all of the Bowie essentials.

Having gained a newfound appreciation for the Thin White Duke, I thought to myself "I'm glad I took the time to familiarize myself with more of David Bowie's library, so that I can better enjoy Blackstar and all of the new stuff he'll probably release in the future. Better late than never, right?"

:(
>>
>>61711597

Heard Cat People in something, then realized he was the author of some of the songs I'd been hearing for years.

Isn't this how pretty much everyone finds music?
>>
>>61711610
this
>>
My mom would always play "Lets Dance" and "Blue Jean" and mostly his 80s stuff when I was a child. Didn't really care for his music at the time.

Then when I went to highschool, my crush was a huge Bowie fan, and I investigated him just so we could have something to talk about,and I've been listening to his music ever since.
His music brings back so many great memories.....
>>
both my brother and dad liked his music so i always heard his songs from a pretty young age, however i was never really that into him myself
>>
let's dance
>>
>>61716187
At the cost of someone's death though!!
>>
Literally only heard him through MGSV
Man Who Sold the World was good stuff. That's about it. I know about Ziggy Stardust and other stuff through word of mouth, but never really listened to him (actively at least).
>>
Got to high school, was starting to get into music beyond Dadrock (I live in the Ohio Valley so Dadrock in this shithole is fucking Hair Metal and Led Zeppelin) and in our library we had CDs to rent out. I'd heard The Black Parade during middle school and read up on influences and I had started listening to Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, PJ Harvey, all that good stuff and I come across the whole debacle about A Warm Place basically being Crystal Japan. Anywho after a few weeks I noticed a copy of Ziggy Stardust while I was perusing, so I took it out and that night I'm staying with my grandparents on the other side of town and I'm in the back bedroom with my CD player and all the CDs I'd rented (I'd grabbed the first Tom Waits album and also the copy of Realism which had been floating around with all the cool kids and had finally returned) and I just laid there with the covers over my head on this shitty futon mattress and the lights dimmed down as far as they would dim before shutting off completely and Five Years kicked up. I remember just being really excited while hearing it, just kinda molewhacked. I didn't know what I'd heard but I knew it was strange and burned it to my computer and it wasn't until two or three months later I realized I was listening to it all the time.

Of course all the really cool shit wasn't around so I ended up stuck with Ziggy and Space Oddity (and Let's Dance, once I figured out how to run the record player) and keeping Bowie in the stable but not really expanding until I finally went out senior year of high school and ended up coming home with a copy of Low and loving the shit out of it immediately and I've never looked back.
>>
>>61711664

Same
>>
I grew up with Queen and got into David Bowie through "Under Preassure"
>>
This way:
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
SOMBODY UP THERE LIKES MEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>>61711597
Friend of my parents was a huge fan
Went though his collection, being not too much into music, I've been randomly and checked "The man who sold the world" because the title actually sounded cool.

Expected some kind of calm Jon and Vangelis type of shit but far worse, I almost shat myself.

I didn't delved far into what he has done, but I haven't been disapointed with his work so far.

Blackstar was dreadful on the first listening to me, but It has grown immensely.

But everyone has to go, he had a great run anyway.
>>
File: Best_of_bowie.jpg (19 KB, 299x301) Image search: [Google]
Best_of_bowie.jpg
19 KB, 299x301
my mom bought a greatest hits cd when I was around the age of sixteen at vintage stock. we listened to it on the way home. China Girl and Ashes to Ashes got me hooked. i ended up listening to that Best Of disc all summer.
>>
>>61711695
gr8 b8
>>
>>61711597
When he died and saw it on the news
>>
used to do amateur writing/art shit when i was a young teen and somebody said one of my characters looked like ziggy stardust, so i googled
just kinda went from there, at first i wasn't terribly fond of him as i listened to Space Oddity, but then later on i thought about it, especially the chorus and i realized 'this is actually pretty good'
then i started digging more and uncovered his other personas and became fascinated by the thin white duke and how he'd come close to destroying himself, and the destructive intensity of that music
since he was alive and well at that point, knowing he'd somehow come out of that age intact was very interesting to me and i wanted to see how he did it, the progression
then i found labyrinth at a used media store
and realized that he could do ANYTHING he wanted and it would be cool, even if it was silly he would still be the coolest motherfucker in the world
>>
>>61711597
Fuck me. When I heard about Blackstar coming out I was planning to listen to it and actually get into Bowie, because I've never been really familiar with his music. Now I'm putting Blackstar off for a bit until I finish his older albums. I feel sad now. listening to his stuff won't be the same because I have the constant nagging fact that he is dead.
>>
A good friend of mine was a big bowie fan when i was younger. I remember using her ipod daily on the bus to and from our neighborhoods and listening to china girl on repeat. She committed suicide a while ago. Kinda bitter sweet knowing both of them are now in a better place now.
>>
>>61711739
this
>>
I knew about him mostly as the guy with the weird eyes and never really cared too much to be honest.

I'd heard his music through most of my life just because I live in the UK and it's kinda impossible to not hear his songs used in something, but I'd never actually listened to anything really.

Then I heard Space Doggity by Jonathan Coulton and I thought that was a cute little song, and realised that I'd never actually heard the original. So I looked it up and was surprised at how good it was and annoyed that I'd never bothered to check it out before, and then I went over all the hits and such and was genuinely impressed both by the songs themselves and how well they hold up today. And then he released The Next Day and that was great too.
>>
>>61711597
Liberty City Rock Radio with Iggy Pop.
>>
Emma worked at the front desk of my college dorm. I fell in love at first sight. Always hit her up for music recs, even though I would sweat endlessessly and freak out whenever I was about to talk to her. One day this other senior Bri was coming in to chat with her and the first thing they did was look deep into eachother's eyes and scream/sing "I'm an alligator!" I was in awe. Bowie ever since. Emma is probably a lesbian btw, I never got as close as I wanted.
>>
>>61711910
>>61715444
>>61715451
These
>>
>How did you first get into David Bowie?
At the morgue, with lots of lube
>>
>>61712220
He admitted to piracy himself, so he can't complain
Also he's dead
>>
>>61711597
i saw my friend listening to hunky dory and noted that the girl on the album cover was cute and asked who it was

turns out it wasn't a girl tho
>>
>>61711597

When I bought the Godzilla soundtrack in 1998. It had a cover of "Heroes" on it that I loved. My mom told me that Bowie did it first.
>>
>>61724743
Where did he admit it?
>>
It's kinda lame, but I downloaded the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack, which included Moonage Daydream. Throught that song I discovered the rest of his discography.
>>
>>6171794>>61724831
An interview with Letterman or Leno I think
>>
>>61724707
underrated post
>>
>first album
outside
>first song
heroes
>>
>>61711597
so is anyone legit expecting anything to happen tomorrow ?
>>
some guy from england saw my dadrock scrobbles on last.fm in 2007 and sent me a message with a bunch of youtube links to his songs. i told him what i liked and didn't like and he responded with other songs from his catalogue. we had a really nice conversation actually. eventually he showed me subterraneans from his low album -- i had never heard anything like that before. from then on i was sold on bowie and introduced not just to him but to brian eno and the styles they touched upon over their careers. thanks, english stranger
>>
>>61725238
no man, he's gone. it's best to stop thinking about it
>>
think I first saw him in Labyrinth and I'll be honest I didn't think much of the movie but everyone else seemed to like it so I just tagged along, then a few years later my dad got a greatest hits DVD of Bowie and we would listen to it a lot

it's a shame though my dad is a dickhead and skipped some of the songs before I even knew what they were even when some of them were really quite good, like ziggy stardust, young american and a few others i forget
>>
>you will never get to see bowie live during his golden yeeeeaarrss
>>
>>61724831
he always thought that copyright stuff was bullshit and that artists should do more live gigs to get money
>>
i heard that he died
>>
>>61711597
NHL 99 had "Heroes" on the intro video
>>
I heard "Space Oddity" looping on /mu/, great song

Everything else I've listened to was either corny or boring, those songs being..

Ashes to Ashes
Let's Dance
Heroes
Rebel Rebel
China Girl (This one was actually kind a cute/fun)

Does he have other good songs like Space Oddity?
>>
>>61711597
I played the FoTC episode with "Bowie's in Space" for a friend and he went nuts with how similar the song was with old Bowie recordings. He then listed off some recommended tracks and I gave them a listen. Became a fan after that.

It's not the first time it took me a while to get into an ancient artist, as I didn't become a Stooges fan until seeing their reunion show at Lollapalooza.
>>
>Heard Space oddity on tv and though "Hey I've never listened one of his records"
>Downloaded Ziggy and Hunky and loved every second of them
>Asked on /mu/ which other albums I should listen 'cause he had a lot
>They told me to listen pretty much all his 70s stuff + Scary Monsters, Let's Dance and The next Day

This was about 6 months ago and I've listening pretty much only Bowie since back then, I feel like crap for not knowing him before.
>>
I saw that Anthony Fandango gave The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust a 10/10 back in 2012 so I decided to check it out.
>>
>>61726195
he reviewed it?
link pls
>>
>>61726251
>he reviewed it?
Not quite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECeceTOCU8
>>
>>61725840
listen to starman, fame, golden years, the jean genie and fashion
>>
My Dad played Space Oddity and Rock N' Roll Suicide a lot during road trips.

I know "dadrock" gets shit on a lot here, but listening to Bowie gives me lots of good memories.
>>
Back in the late 80's my dad was a junior engineer and was sent to inspect few things to East Germany. he bought few vinyls over there (the monkeys, Neu!, Rolling Stones, The Who, ELO, Slade and "Heroes" album.

We had a cheap russian vinyl recorder and it sounded like magic to us. My older Brother got in love with Bowie's album (although i prefered Neu! (because i was a little fucker who liked instrumental Hallo Gallo stuff that could make me go to sleep easy). in the early 90's i saw "Jump They Say" music video. Dusted off the vinyl and went full Bowie.
>>
>>61711597
After reading an anecdote between him and Frank Zappa. I goggle him and I thought it was ok, not a fan of his body of work but some songs, I think Bowie is a "best of" artist
>>
>>61722470

my nigga
Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.