[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>blackstar refers to a "dead" star, no longer alight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 9
File: 600x600bb.jpg (14 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600x600bb.jpg
14 KB, 600x600
>blackstar refers to a "dead" star, no longer alight but with gravity intact, this has been discussed to hell and back
>light is used as the symbol for life
>CD (and presumably vinyl) back cover tracklist and lyric book feature text as gloss black against a matte black page
>requires the reflection of light off the gloss black to read
>light=life
>death can only be understood in the context of life

So uh, 10/10?
>>
>requires the reflection of light off the gloss black to read
>light=life
interesting and certainly way deeper than my reaction which was just that its kind of annoying
>>
>>61709544
I swear to God, if Bowie starts a fucking religion with this album.
>>
>>61709544
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/was-david-bowies-blackstar-named-after-a-cancer-lesion/
>>
>>61709566
I'd join it
>>
>>61709568
All this shit and nobody realized. Damn.
>>
Holy shit I'm listening to the album again and I Can't Give Everything Away is a triple entendre

>can't reveal his illness during the production or marketing of the album to avoid cheapening the art
>as an artist who has been working for decades he has essentially lived on stage and made a living sharing his private thoughts. The experience of dying is one thing he was able to keep for himself until his passing.
>the album explores death anxiety and the lyric can be seen as his unwillingness to give away litterally everything he's known in the transition to unlife.

This album is GOAT
>>
Supposedly Blackstar is a type of cancer lesion or something, so when he sings "Something happened on the day he died / Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside / Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried (I’m a blackstar, I’m a blackstar)" its about the cancer taking over, pretty sad because people though that was a positive part of the song, like he's found new life or something. This is the first album cover without him on it, the Blackstar (cancer) has taken over, he is defeated.
>>
>>61710109
weird
>>
>>61710109
Careful though. By saying he's the Black Star that can imply he's the cancer. Now the interesting thing about cancer is that technically they are immortal in that most cancer cells never undergo apoptosis. So in a way, this album is a way to immortalize himself in the same way that the cancer immortalizes itself.
>>
>>61710219
DAMN!!!...
>>
>>61710219
A blackstar is a type of breast cancer lesion, he had liver cancer.
>>
>>61710219
I think when he says "I'm a Blackstar" it's not from his own perspective anymore. Notice how his voice is manipulated when saying it.
>>
Blackstar = death. Death mocks Bowie when she says she's not a popstar or a filmstar like him, but she is going to take him "home", he mocks him for his sedatives and also calls him a "flash in the pan" whilst she is the ".Great I Am".

Blackstar = death = 10/10 best concept album of the century
>>
>>61709568
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/was-david-bowies-blackstar-named-after-a-cancer-lesion/
I actually fucking thought about this yesterday morning, and was about to post something about it in a thread, but didn't because I'd figure people would call me stupid.
>>
https://youtu.be/w_UHZ_62GCI

Every man has a black star
A black star over his shoulder
And when a man sees his black star
He knows his time, his time has come

Black star don't shine on me, black star
Black star keep behind me, black star
There's a lot of livin' I gotta do
Give me time to make a few dreams come true, black star

When I ride I feel that black star
That black star over my shoulder
So I ride in front of that black star
Never lookin' around, never lookin' around

Black star don't shine on me, black star
Black star keep behind me, black star
There's a lot of livin' I gotta do
Give me time to make a few dreams come true, black star

One fine day I'll see that black star
That black star over my shoulder
And when I see that old black star
I'll know my time, my time has come
>>
This is a nice thread. Please keep it nice.
>>
Last tracks name.

I can't give everything away...
>>
>>61710512
Like saying he gave us enough hints.
>>
File: 1452536038436.png (150 KB, 1342x513) Image search: [Google]
1452536038436.png
150 KB, 1342x513
>>61709544
nice analysis friend :^)
>>
.>>61709544
>>61710324

i concur

Its filled with biblical references .Its about death , a ‘solitary candle’ being extinguished .Its very clear. The light = Jesus , who was reborn , just like bowie is now reborn after his death, into blackstar."im a black star" = im a dead star/fame.

Also look at the Blackstar viedo Its.is very self reflective on his past , The crystal covered spaceman is obviously major tom from space oderssy , that gave him his wealth , it was his breakthrough song.This is now is worthless beacuse of his death ,hes fallen back to earth becuause of blackstar(death).
>>
>>61710324
And it makes tons of sense given >>61710438 and the fact Bowie was a giant Elvis fan.
>>
Seriously brilliant album title. There is so much to it, it's such a poetic final album.

I love the cover too, very minimalist. Bowie has a bad track record with album covers, more of them are bad than good. This one is so simplistic but there is so much to it.
>>
Lazarus is so good I can't even believe it.
>the way "Ain't that just like me?" gradually goes from strained and uneasy to confident and excited to finally be free
AOTY
>>
>>61709918

Holy fuck so deep
>>
File: blackstar.jpg (164 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
blackstar.jpg
164 KB, 800x800
I don't wanna make another Bowie thread, there are already enough. But I wanna ask what people think about the first 4 minutes of Blackstar. What mostly gets talked about is the latter half of the song and it's great don't get me wrong.

But the creepy, atmospheric first 4 minutes with that flute(?), strings, synth stabs, great percussion and saxophone. It's fantastic. One of the more atmospheric tracks I've heard in recent memory. The saxophone at 1:43 in particular is so fucking good.
>>
>>61711701
i remember when i first heard it while watching the video back in november. when those hihat and synth bloops kicked in i jumped up and started moving around, the song got my full attention 100%
>>
>>61711701
yeah too right, I love how dark and spooky it is.. is that bowie playing sax in it do you think? I read somewhere that he played sax on the album..
>>
File: image.jpg (169 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169 KB, 500x500
There is much more. The video and lyrics use a lot of occult symbolism. Its very much like paradise lost, telling the story about lucifer. How many times an angel falls, convincing other angels to join him and then proclaiming himself as God "I am the great I am"

"I am the great I am" can be translated to pretty much "I am God" take a look at the Tetragrammaton
and what it translates to.

The candle was supposedly a symbol for Isis (the Egyptian goddess) and the end of the video symbolizes the mocking of a crucified Christ. Look at the last final minute of the video when a spirit is summoned in ritual to go attack the Jesus scarecrow.

I can go on and on..... Everything in the video is occult as fuck.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton
>>
>>61711701
>synth stabs

I think the bass synth sound is actually sonic treatment of the kick drum mic. Visconti was always good at that kind of thing.
>>
>>61711701

It creates the perfect ambient for the second part of the song. It conveys an atmosphere of oppresion and despair, with Bowie sometimes crying like wailing, until it changes at the 4:00 mark (more or less) when it starts to anticipate the Blackstar and then starts the conversation between Bowie and the Blackstar

100% masterpiece
>>
>>61711516
I wonder if the Lazarus video hints at assisted suicide.

All throughout the video, you can see death personified by a creepy lady reaching out for him. At the the very end, you see bed bowie reaching out for the lady too.

There's also the line in the bridge
>I was looking for your ass
The only other "person" with an ass in the video would be lady death...

2deep4me...
>>
>>61711949
He still needed to die to kick people into analyzing it. Without him dying this album is incomplete.
>>
>>61711992
He was looking for a cure. You know, like the Jesus donkey anon wrote.
>>
>>61711996

I agree. I think most of us ruled out the possibiliy of Bowie dying when the album came out, at least I did.

I also love how the song is so visual, so to speak. When listening I can imagine a funeral in a small villa, a spirit rising from the grave and talking to the angel of death who taunts him about his life success. This song is too good
>>
Any interpretations for the lyric

>I’m so high it makes my brain whirl
>Dropped my cell phone down below
>Ain’t that just like me

The straightforward one would be that he's high from the chemo, and weak so that he dropped his cellphone.
But is that everything there is to it? Why did he mention his cell phone specifically?
Could it also be that he's "high" in heaven, like he mentions earlier in the song, and his "cell phone down below" is all the people he was in contact with, that he can't take along with him?
>>
>>61712255
>The straightforward one would be that he's high from the chemo, and weak so that he dropped his cellphone.

I think this is it. He's very weak from the chemo and he drops the phone, being unable to recover it without help. And then he realizes he's about to be "dropped" too
>>
>>61712255
>The straightforward one would be that he's high from the chemo, and weak so that he dropped his cellphone.

Nothing me to it then that i think.
>>
>>61710109
I think he might be referring to a black dwarf which is a dead star that has cooled off to a point where it's no longer emitting light.
He used to be a rock star, but now he dead so he's a Blackstar.
>>
>>61709918
There's also the more literal interpretation that he literally can't give everything he owns away, which is what a lot of people try to do before they die.
He wants some of his possessions to comfort him in his darkest and final hour
>>
>>61712255
He sends his cell phone to hell because computers are bad
>>
>>61712319
>Nothing me to it then that i think.
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>61712418
But Radiohead wants me to believe computers are ok, is this the start of an artistic rivalry?
>>
>>61712562
I think Radiohead won this one.
>>
>>61712603
I don't know, Thom Yorke probably still looks rougher than Bowie
>>
>>61712496
Jesus , i've gone mad
>>
>>61711816
Is he grabbing his liver? :'(
>>
>tfw you've been listening to Blackstar solidly for nearly a week and know that he didn't accept his fate but was terrified of death and regretful because he had so much more to give
>>
>>61712603
:(
>>
>>61712255

High on dimorphine, the standard for palliative measures. "Ain' that just like me"
>>
>>61712662
Maybe, maybe not. Although all of Bowie was in this one. 'Tis a pity, dollar days for example sound like collabs of Bowie, Ziggy Stardust and the Thin White Duke.
>>
>>61711516
>Tis a Pity starts with deep breathing noises
>Dollar Days starts with paper noises
>Bed Bowie has makeup leftover from his Blackstar video
>>
>>61712693

This.

>take your passport and shoes
>and your sedatives, boo!
>>
>>61712714
Right before the melody kicks in on Dollar Days you hear Bowie breathe in and out, as if he's preparing himself emotionally for this. Breaks my fucking heart. The piano and guitar on this track make for such a beautiful melody.

I'm trying to..
I'm dying to..

;_;
>>
>>61712847

;_____;
>>
File: davidfosterwallace.jpg (29 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
davidfosterwallace.jpg
29 KB, 500x335
>>61712847
>Right before the melody kicks in on Dollar Days you hear Bowie breathe in and out, as if he's preparing himself emotionally for this
>>
>>61709544
That has nothing to do with the music
>>
>>61711992
Since he's singing about the past on that verse, I took it as a line about looking for his wife.

It's a lighthearted way of saying, hey.. I was looking for you back then (even if they wouldn't meet until the 90s) whatever he went through would eventually lead to him meeting her.

I don't think it's unlikely that it is as straight forward as that. Lazarus is one of the more uplifting tracks on the album. It's one of the more direct tracks that deals with his death but not like Dollar Days where it's a sad struggle, where he's trying his very best to deliver even as he's dying. Lazarus he'll be "free as that bluebird" free from this pain.

So I don't think it's out of place for the ass line to be a fun way of expressing his search for his wife.

Should be noted though that in the video he points to his sick self on the bed when he sings it, so it could also be about being young and lost, not having figured out who he was at the time.
>>
>>61710109
yeah, I don't go for that. But I haven't figured it out yet either. He was a rock and roll star, but gone or insignificant or a this huge gravity that tries to absorb everything. He was also a star that went black(silent) for year.) He tried to be an afroamerican black pop star also. this isn't as easy as dissecting Lazarus was.
>>
>>61713004
I'm still wondering about the unusual aspect ratio of the Lazarus video.
>>
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/851211_3

"On mammography RS are commonly seen as an area of focal architectural distortion, and are better seen in one projection, without any discernable central mass or overlying skin retraction.[21] The lesion has a "black star" appearance with long thin spicules radiating from a central radiolucent area [...]

Obviously not specific to Bowie's cancer, but there is such poetic resonance in the term that it surely didn't escape him.
>>
>>61713174
I think the ties to space, and the actual meaning of a blackstar is far more poetic than it being tied to the appearance of a cancer lesion.

But the fact that it has multiple meanings just makes it all the better, really.
>>
>>61711992
>assisted suicide
This was one of my first thoughts when I heard the news. Assisted suicide is common among patients with aggressive cancer because it's already assumed that complications from cancer are the cause of death and things like morphine overdose go undetected.
I like to think they announced his death prematurely so he could witness the album's reception and the outpouring of love from his fans before drifting into sleep.
>>
>>61713318
He always said he wanted to see the world without him in it.

>Do you think he looked on /mu/ if he was browsing around/ looking at reactions
>>
>>61709544
What if Bowie worked so hard to complete this album then survived? Would everyone still love it?
>>
>>61713362
also, what if the album turned out to be shit? even before he died, it was widely considered to be his best album in decades. imagine if it was just a turd.
>>
>>61713350
>He always said he wanted to see the world without him in it.
That is awesome. Was not aware of this.

>Do you think he looked on /mu/ if he was browsing around/ looking at reactions
One could only hope :c
>>
>>61713362
He knew he's not going to live much longer. Not like the day of his execution happened a week ago.
And it couldn't have been shit given what he meant it to be. It was simply impossible.
>>
>>61713411

That guy made nothing less than 8/10 albums every year from 1971 to 1983. He could have done Blackstar every time he wanted, he was great like that
>>
>>61713350

>tfw posthumously shitposting
>>
>>61713784
That'd be just like him
>>
My mother said to get things done
You'd better not mess with Major Tom
>>
>>61713842

Imagine him being le edgelord, shitposting in fan threads for teh lulz.
>>
File: 1452647252244.gif (2 MB, 300x241) Image search: [Google]
1452647252244.gif
2 MB, 300x241
>>61713999
>Bowie is posting all the contrarian shit from beyond and giggling
>>
>there's a woman, a white skinny guy and a black man in Blackstar video
>Bowie's androgynous appearance and behavior
>Thin White Duke
>Young Americans
>>
>>61713736
he made a bunch of shit albums after that, though. I didn't think he had another great album in him
>>
>>61714087
>Old Bowie standing proud with his Blackstar book while they watch in admiration
>>
>there's music on the album
jesus christ, why did such a genius have to die young
>>
>>61710438
Elvis and David had the same birth date so its a funny coincidence .
>>
>>61714152
Bowie was Elvis' fan.
>>
>>61709568
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/was-david-bowies-blackstar-named-after-a-cancer-lesion/
Damn so he had breast cancer
>>
>>61714228
...but he didn't.
>>
>>61714247
Yeah desu that's a bit of a far fetched interpretation.

I don't think he thought of that when that wasn't the actual type of cancer he had.
>>
I love the artistic statement of the booklet if that's the case but it's still annoying to read. Is he making us also suffer for art by making us strain to read the lyrics? Genius
>>
>>61714371
u see his outfit in the videos? >>61711816

he can't see shit man.
>>
>>61714060
I love you anon.
>>
>>61709566
Bowie started a religion a long time ago
>>
>>61714500

Yeah the church of areaology
>>
>>61712779
Is this line saying that he needs his passport and shoes because he's travelling and passing the border, in this case between life and death? It didn't make sense before but mow it really does. And sedatives are self explanatory.

Bowie's the GOAT
>>
>>61710109
I don't think that's the intended meaning at all. Besides, a Blackstar is usually found in breast cancer. It makes way more sense as an Elvis reference and a astronomcal reference.
>>
"I can’t answer why (I’m a blackstar)
Just go with me (I’m not a filmstar)
I’m-a take you home (I’m a blackstar)
Take your passport and shoes (I’m not a popstar)
And your sedatives, boo (I’m a blackstar)
You’re a flash in the pan (I’m not a marvel star)
I’m the great I am (I’m a backstar)"

damn. that's literally the cancer talking to him.
>>
>>61710297
I thought it started as lung cancer and spread to his liver.
>>
>>61714816
DAMN...
>>
>>61714816

fuck, man
>>
>>61714816
>>61710324
>>
>>61709544

"Blackstar" is David saying that when he dies, a black hip-hop artist will take his place:

"Something happened on the day he died / spirit rose a metre and stepped aside / somebody else took his place and bravely cried / I'm a black star"

Consider that the verse in which he speaks in first person as the black star is basically a hip-hop brag verse:

"I'm a black star / way up on money / I got game"

The rest of the satanic imagery is alluding to David saying that the new "black star" who will take his place will be subversive enough to be considered devil's music.

In other words, Blackstar is him passing the torch to Kendrick Lamar and MC Ride.
>>
>>61714951
The album was inspired by Death Grips. The album is literally about coming to grips with death. MC Ride is the true blackstar.
>>
>>61715064
>Blackstar
>Bottomless Pit
>Bowie
>Burnett

It's true
>>
I get it we all love (song). But what the fuck is girl loves me about ?
>>
>>61715119

good question
>>
>>61715119
Where the fuck did blackstar go ?
>>
>>61715109
>>61715064
>>61714951
DELET DIS
>>
>>61714951
This is so much bullshit it hurts to read.
>>
>>61715119
it's about his wife's undying love to him during his old age and deterioration of his mind/self
>>
>>61715173

You know it's right. admit it
>>
>>61713088
I think's it's supposed make you feel like death is closing in on him. the entire video takes place on one side of a single room too
>>
>>61709559
death.
>its kind of annoying
agreed, anon. your reaction was deep nonetheless
>>
>>61715282
No. Bowie would never pass the glamor to anyone else. It was all his and it'll stay this way for a while now.
>>
>>61715119
It's futuristic (A Clockwork Orange speech) braggadocio, maybe how Bowie sees the next black popstar >>61714951 make songs
>>
>>61713736
what about 1970? Man Who Sold the World is GOAT as well
>>
https://youtu.be/h3PHnLR_LWk

I wonder what was going on in this track, considering he disappeared a decade after making it.
>>
>>61714108
Outside tho
>>
>>61714816
I actually want to cry right now.
>>
>>61714816
It's "God" or the afterlife. First 5 lines beckoning him to the afterlife with the last two telling him he's meaningless in the grand scheme of things (flash in the pan) and the force talking is the "Great I am" as in "God".
>>
>>61716965
He should've unfollowed him.
>>
Hey fellas
You should check out this rare Bowie Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wCLmrap83E
>>
In the villa of ormen = in the house of snakes, ormen is Norwegian for snake

The snakes are the recording industry

The solitary candle is the spotlight
>>
>>61710339
believe in urself, my senpai
>>
File: 219229-caduceus01_large.jpg (14 KB, 300x328) Image search: [Google]
219229-caduceus01_large.jpg
14 KB, 300x328
>>61717051
>snakes.
>>
>>61709566

IN THE VILLA OF ORMEN
STANDS A SOLITARY CANDLE
AT THE CENTER OF IT ALL
>>
File: keith.png (35 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
keith.png
35 KB, 160x160
>>61709544
>>
>>61717173
So it could as well be a hospital.

And of course the only guy who knows for sure died. And is probably laughing his androgynous ass off at all the interpretations.
>>
>>61709544
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upeYWQ0Cxt8
>>
File: y.png (14 KB, 405x344) Image search: [Google]
y.png
14 KB, 405x344
>at the end of lazarus he closes himself in the cupboard
>dies four days after the video
>jesus came to bethany and opened the door to lazarus' tomb
>this resurrected him, four days after his death

DUDE... HE WAS ALREADY IN HEAVEN...
>>
>>61716965

It's the angel of death, his spirit talking with the Blackstar (a dead star) after his burial. That's why he asks how many times does an angel fall? (Answer: death falls on earth all the time)
>>
>>61718042
*His spirit meaningin Bowie's
>>
>>61717908
Yes. And the drama his passing caused can't be stolen by anyone.

And everybody knows who he was now.
>>
The "day of execution" parts of Blackstar are amazing.
>>
>>61712943
makes me want to hang myself with my belt desu
>>
>>61715873
>2003
>"I don't know about you..."

>2016, January 10th
>Everybody knows me now
>>
>>61711777
nice trips
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.