[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the world really like David Bowie as much as it pretends?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 11
Did the world really like David Bowie as much as it pretends? Suddenly everyone around me acts like they were his biggest fan ever, but they probably only know three or four songs at most.
>>
nobody gave a shit about robin williams anymore either until he killed himself too
>>
he's fuckin Bowie dude, who didn't like him?
>>
>>61684664
Yeah they did. My dad wouldn't consider Bowie his very favorite artist, but he had almost every record he made from 69-2016 and he was broken up about it. Bowie was a pop culture Icon mate
>>
>>61684664
let me guess, you're a true fan?
>>
>>61684671
I still don't care, I'm actually glad about Paul walker
>>
People cared, dude.
It's just that he hadn't released anything on a while and some people were disappointed by his latest stuff.
Now he releases an amazing album And dies. Of course his popularity will spike. Some are posers, but a shit ton of people aren't.
>>
>>61684664
Honestly, it doesn't matter. He managed to pull off his death in such a cool way that even all those normies who suddenly feel they're obliged to be fans because a big celebrity died are not that irritating, because they're merely a part of his calculated plan.
>>
Michael Jackson was literally the one race joke everyone was okay with making the day before he died, are you really surprised?
>>
>>61684697
Do you think his final album could be seen as trolling?
>>
>>61684664
>Suddenly everyone around me acts like they were his biggest fan ever
While there are people who do this to not be labelled as "Not knowing Bowie" by people they know, there are a lot of people who may not know all of his songs and works but still consider themselves a fan of, or like, Bowie.
And it's probably safe to say most people liked Bowie's music.
They may not be die-hard fans, but who gives a shit?
It shouldn't matter to you whether they know 5 songs or 50 songs, the core common theme is Bowie and you should be glad about that if anything.
Maybe they'll start listening to more of his music and grow to like more of it.
>>
>>61684664
Happens with everyone that dies, suddenly everyone was a massive fan

>robin Williams died
>look at twitter
>my poser ex girlfriend posts 'omg so sad to hear about robin, etc etc'.
>look under that post
>ex gf is started following robin williams'

same with Lemmy, same with Spock, same now
>>
Please keep these dorts of threads on /b/ where thry clearly originated from
>>
>>61684664
he was one of the most popular, successful and enduring artists of the last 50 years
how can you not know this
>>
>>61684930
It's pretty easy, honestly. Bowie wasn't exactly active for almost a decade (give or take a few years, I didn't actively follow him so I wouldn't know), his music wasn't that heavily used in the media and unlike, say Dylan, The Beatles, Zeppelin, etc, there aren't countless biographies/documentaries about him. I introduced a friend of mine to Bowie two days before he died.
>>
>>61684960
idk I guess I just assumed that ppl interested in music enough to be posting in a music board of a Venusian cowbuggering chatroom wouldnt be completely clueless
>>
>>61684688
>I still don't care, I'm actually glad about Paul walker
cause he left his daughter alone?
>>
Honestly, I feel bad for not getting more into his work but... you know when you really love an artist's singles, and then you listen to their albums and it just feels like you're spending the whole time waiting for those songs? I listened to Hunky Dory and Ziggy several times and never quite got over that. Changes, Life on Mars, Suffragete City and Starman are such towering pop behemoths that I guess I never really gave the rest of the albums a chance. I'm such a plebe.

Station to Station and Low are awesome tho (as is Blackstar). I need to really dive into his back catalogue now.
>>
>>61684664
He was one of the biggest stars of all time. You don't need to be a fan to show some respect.
>>
I never listened to a full album. I only knew two songs. He died and I just didn't get it and I fucking hate myself
>>
Well, I liked his work, but never didn't explore his albums fully expect for Station to Station. I guess China Girl was one of the songs I enjoyed back when I was a child. I enjoyed his voice in films like Lost Highway and Cat People. But still, I'm not a "fan".
>>
>>61684680
>Bowie was a pop culture Icon mate
This. Literally everyone knew who he was.
>>
>>61685073
Me too.

Feeling like I've missed out somehow.
>>
Well I was never interested that much in most of his work, except Ziggy Stardust but I went on a binge yesterday and Blackstar is good. Honestly feels like I'm hopping on a bandwagon although I'd listened to most of his stuff before
>>
I was never very into him, but I loved Space Oddity, the Man Who Sold the World, Under Pressure, and the Labyrinth movie.
>>
>>61684664
The thing that doesn't add up though is that he is being celebrated for being offbeat and taking risks etc...but at the same time every idiot bimbo is saying they related to him cause of their quirky side etc.....seems like he is pretty damm accessible to people....if he was really edgy he would be inducing cringe from the mainstream half the time
>>
No
It's the same thing that happened with Michael Jackson
>>
wat
>>
>>61685294
>if he was really edgy he would be inducing cringe from the mainstream half the time
He was, in his heyday, when he was pretending to have gay sex on stage.
>>
>the only artist /mu/ could agree that was great.
>"lol, everyone is just pretending to like him!"
>>
>>61685360
No, he was one of the artists who if you expressed a dislike of his music the bandwagon came after you. I've been told many times that I don't like music here because I don't love Bowie.
>>
>>61685360
/mu/ is retarded. OP especially.
>>
>>61684751
No, but the album is about false dishonest worship and bowie knew it would happen
>>
>>61685672
Except it was already released to universal acclaim you retard

The score may have been inflated but it was already hovering at 3.8 on RYM with like 1000 ratings. It would've been in everyone's end of year lists whether he died or not.
>>
>>61684664
Suck it up, this is gonna happen every single time someone famous dies. Complaining about it just conveys your interest in the topic about as much as everyone else.
>>
>>61684664
I was not a huge fan of Bowie, I think most of his individual songs are mediocre, yet he stayed alive and managed to do something new with each album that always set him apart.

I have always respected Bowie far more as an artist than a musician or a songwriter, he understood the very essence of what it meant to be a rock star, which is to play a character album to album to the point of becoming that character.
>>
>>61684671
nobody cared who I was until I put on the exit bag
>>
>>61685208
>>61685073
You have, kek.
>>
>>61684664
>i'm
>a
>blackstar
Very subtle art. Bowie would be proud.
>>
>>61685073
>>61685208
Go listen to every album he put out from 1971 to 1980. No other artist has put together a run of albums like that.
>>
File: 1385061115153.jpg (7 KB, 152x152) Image search: [Google]
1385061115153.jpg
7 KB, 152x152
>>61684664
He was probably the most iconic artist of the 70s, you're acting as if he's some underground indie artist.
>>
Хyйня a нe чeлoвeк, ecли чecтнo.
>>
File: Astérix.jpg (42 KB, 446x700) Image search: [Google]
Astérix.jpg
42 KB, 446x700
>>61688227
OBELIX!!!!!
>>
File: obelix.jpg (10 KB, 202x210) Image search: [Google]
obelix.jpg
10 KB, 202x210
>>61688295
These /mu/tants are crazy!
>>
>>61684664
After what he did with his last album, it's only natural that he would gain more fans.
>>
>>61684664
Happens every time someone who isn't Lemmy dies. Thank god Bruce Dickinson didn't for of his cancer, or we would have a legion of fake Maiden fans, and Book of Souls would be a posthumous release and would be read too much into.
>>
>>61684664
No, mainly becuase its all over the news people want to know who he was and get into it, that how popular music and art works.

As for myself a friend got me into Bowie when I was 20, iam now 36 still young compared to others but I call myself a fan and my 4 year old son is a bowie fan, because we showed him Labyrynth etc, but as you say some people do like to get in on the death of a superstar, and thats what he was/is. any way this is 4chan so eat my balls
>>
He's as important to modern music as The Beatles are. He changed pop culture forever. Whether you liked his music or not, elements of Bowie are everywhere. Also, Labyrinth is one of the greatest fucking things ever and if you disagree you're a dipshit.
>>
>>61689477
>36
>on 4chan

goddamn man.
>>
>>61689551
he's a while average 4chan user older than me
>>
>>61684664
Falling head-over-heals in love with Bowie's music upon just discovering it is a real condition.
>>
>>61685291
>Space Oddity, Man Who Sold the World.

Songs or albums?
>>
That's what happens with celebs. Poserfags who weren't even born when he was around and at his prime jump on the bandwagon. Last time it happened on this scale was MJ. Although I did see a bunch of people who didn't know who lemmy was before 2016 praising his music the other week.
>>
I guess a lot of millennials had a couple of Bowie records hanging around in their house when they were growing, from their parents, and liked them.
My mom had a copy of Ziggy Stardust, and, yeah, she likes Bowie, and I think it's a great pop record, and my dad was quite into him too (even tho I didn't knew him till he had cancer, but he made my mom discovers shit like The The, so I had some of that kind of stuff lying around when I was growing up), and, I don't know, most of my friends listened to his iconic songs from the 70s sometimes.
Yeah, people cared a bit, even tho they didn't cared about what he did after the 70s-80s.

But there is always that phenomenon when some famous good dude dies, where everyone is sort of mourning on social medias, like the shit >>61684895 is describing, a bit like when everyone was posting "Pray for Paris" two months earlier. When I think about this phenomenon, I'm torn between my cynical, and my sort of passionate thoughts.
>>
There are people who like David Bowie, people who consider themselves Bowie fans and people who like myself David Bowie changed their lives.
I am not an emotional person...I have cried this week.
>>
>>61689955
I only knew Bowie by his big songs for awhile then I listened to this big albums. Such great music. I wouldn't consider myself a huge Bowie fan, I didn't grow up in his prime era but I liked him. I'm sad to see he passed. It sucks when you lose a musician who was as passionate about his craft and hobbies as Bowie was.
>>
No, just a bunch of bandwagoners on social media. Its ruined everything.

Somebody said Bowie was a 'pop culture icon', I guess this is true. He was more known for his eccentric appearance than his music and wasn't even a musician desu. More of an post modern expression of a musician. He knew it.

Anyway, some of his music was ok. There was nothing particularly stellar about any of it, but he had a few hits. People seem to miss the "idea" of of Bowie because of what they think he represented, which in the end was nothing. It was all just an act and he was basically an actor playing the part of a musician.

To hear people cry about it, you'd think Mozard died or something. Calm down, it was a mediocre popstar that only stayed relevant because he pushed the agenda of of the homosexuals and helped usher in the era of genderfluidity and unisex bathrooms.

Outside of the few hits he had, the majority of his songs are incredibly laborious and depressing to listen to. Not in the good way either. Just plain bad. Guy was pretentious af thinking any of that was worth putting on an album.
>>
>>61684751
No, David Bowie was born back when people actually grew up and trolling wasn't something to be proud of.
>>
>>61689914
It's called narcissism anon. It goes hand and hand with social media. A popular person dies and every one has to post how sad they are so everyone will see that they are sad. It's the whole "look at me, look at me, see I'm sad, look at me" phenomenom. It's created by social media.
>>
>>61690052
nice post, have a (You)
>>
>>61689914 (cont.)
I actually didn't meant to write "passionate thoughts" but "empathetic thoughts".

These empathetic thoughts are, like, that maybe when most of these people are confronted with the news of the death of a good famous dude, or a terrorist attack, this is one of these times when we are confronted with death, and maybe it start somehow to remind them about their own mortality. And damn, just the fact that a cool musician like Bowie died is saddening.

But maybe, I guess it's also a way to show off, like, "hey I liked Bowie, and also felt sad for the victims of the terrorist attack that happened in Paris, look at me, I'm a good person"
>>
>>61685672
I agree with this. I also think it's his thoughts on death, dealing with death and dying. I think he had been planning to make Blackstar years and years in advance. This was the album he wanted to make as he died.
>>
>>61690117
Your last sentence is the perfect example of what your describing anon.
>>
File: 1402917259677.jpg (5 KB, 148x211) Image search: [Google]
1402917259677.jpg
5 KB, 148x211
>>61690052
>>
>>61689914
>>61690052
This shit. I fucking hate it when people do this shit.

I uninstalled the Facebook app on my phone a few months ago and I'm starting to browse Instagram less and less because I fucking hate everyone in my feed trying to do this shit. I'm missing out on this, but I don't give a shit.

The worst part is that I actually listened to Bowie a lot when I was like 13-15. The Berlin trilogy is SOOOOOOO fucking good, and I was hyped for The Next Day and Blackstar. I just stopped listening to him because I found shit that I liked a lot more.

I've been listening to his entire discography since yesterday, I've already gotten to Earthling.
>>
>>61689551
I'm older than him and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
File: 1452292550607.jpg (31 KB, 476x717) Image search: [Google]
1452292550607.jpg
31 KB, 476x717
>>61690052
>only stayed relevant because he pushed the agenda of of the homosexuals
>>
File: 1447874600275.jpg (29 KB, 320x299) Image search: [Google]
1447874600275.jpg
29 KB, 320x299
>>61690052
>>
>>61690052
Somebody said you are an anal swab, I guess this is also true.
>>
File: 1975_profile_ciggy_600w.jpg (35 KB, 590x443) Image search: [Google]
1975_profile_ciggy_600w.jpg
35 KB, 590x443
If I'm being honest: I never cared much about Bowie's music. But the news is still lingering on me.

How do I deal with this emotion?
>>
>Pitchfork review still says "David Bowie has died many deaths yet he is still with us."
Reminder Lazarus was resurrected by Jesus Christ
>>
Everyone that actually liked him silently mourned his passing, just like we always do

Most of society are attention whores, go figure
>>
>>61685297
Yea but no one has a reason to talk about him all the God damn time. Before he died /mu/ was all excited about Blackstar which shows that yea, given a reason, people would talk about him.
>>
>>61687893
This guy know what he's talking about
>>
>>61684664
he echoed like 3 decades of hits and characters. I'm pretty sure most people really gave a shit.

The only people you should be questioning are 15-19 year olds who have probably never heard anything past space oddity or changes and never really experienced the thrill of a new bowie record
>>
It's kinda annoying. My little brother didn't know who Bowie was when I told him he died, and a few hours later, he changed his profile picture on FB to the Heroes cover.
>>
>>61684664
i didn't listen to any of his music but i mourn his loss because it's pretty much undisputed how important he is
>>
File: dad rocks.jpg (44 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
dad rocks.jpg
44 KB, 400x393
>>61684664
>Did the world really like David Bowie as much as it pretends?

48 year old here and while I’m not a Bowie “fan”, I do like his popular tunes and there’s no denying his historical influence on the music scene.
>>
>>61690241
Normies have this shit in their nature dude, doesn't mean you shouldn't have friends and should be some blithering autist, but stop being cynical about it because it will never change
>>
>>61685392
You've only been here for the weekend, reddit. Now see yourself out.
>>
>>61689777
>Poserfags who weren't even born when he was around and at his prime jump on the bandwagon.
so /mu/ isn't allowed to like bowie because 99% of us weren't born in the 70s?

Yeah piss off cunt. People have been discussing and loving Bowie on this board for ages
>>
Go to bed, Angie!
>>
>>61684690
A new day wasnt that long ago and no one gave a shit
>>
It's more so to do with the fact that he hasn't really been relevant or meme-worthy enough to stay within people's adhd-fueled facebook feeds
>>
File: Bowaconda.jpg (91 KB, 410x750) Image search: [Google]
Bowaconda.jpg
91 KB, 410x750
>>61684664
I can honestly say I was a huge fan of this guy, since I was like 10. I had all his records, his posters, etc. I don't really care, I'm just happy David is getting the recognition he deserves. Even if people don't listen to his music, at least they know who he is. It's better than him being dead and no one even noticing.
>>
>>61690698
Listen Blackstar. I never was a "fan" but the album is really good and listening give me peace.
>>
>>61694754
The Next Day was 3 years ago and it was a deal you fucking cancerous piece of shit.
>>
>>61694754
Yeah but the next day wasn't released with nearly as much hype as Blackstar, and it was more of a return to form than anything new. It's like comparing my father will guide me to the seer. Blackstar was intended to be a huge sendoff, and Bowie had the influence(and talent) to make it happen
>>
>>61692654
>48 year old
that hurts man
>>
>>61694754
>i'm stupid and ignorant and that's what makes the music bad
>>
>>61690052
>wasn't even a musician
He could play plenty of instruments you fucking person that I'm really goddamn mad at right now for your fucking ignorance. Doesn't let you off the hook for not knowing you faggot.
>>
>>61684664
i just get called a pedophile for liking him, so i dont care what others think
>>
>>61690117
If someone doesn't think about death every day, I don't see how that person is cognizant to life or anything around them at all.
>>
>>61695321
But he's older than you.
>>
>>61695351
some bitches told me i was supporting a pedophile and that made me one too.
>>
>>61695371
Better to be a pedophile than a woman. Just don't rape any children.
>>
I literally had to turn off my phone for the duration of yesterday, not because of Bowie fan posers, but because of the people posting all that "OH MY GOSH ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE SUDDENLY BOWIE FANS"

If you were a fucking Bowie fan you wouldn't be making such an infantile fucking post you stupid little millenial cunt. Go listen to fucking Tyga and Chris Brown I hope people like that fucking drown to death. It doesn't matter how much of a fucking fan of Bowie you were, if you listened to his music and enjoyed it, even posthumously, then you can appreciate what an incredible person he was and what a massive fucking loss this was.
>>
>>61695371
There's no proof of that, ask them for proof. Real proof.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86GCsb5ngns
>>
>>61695441
i kept getting linked to the thrill list article. then they all blocked me and started telling my friends im a pedophile
>>
I mean even if all the little teenage girls have never listened to him before, he was most likely an influence on at least one of the artists they currently listen to. Almost every musician that's worth something has listened to David Bowie. Nearly every band page I like on Facebook posted something about him, and he was even responsible for the popularity of The Polyphonic Spree, which is a band I love dearly. So even though not everyone who is posting about his death listened to him, they probably were affected by his music at least indirectly
>>
>>61695473
Sure they did.
>>
>>61692654
Micheal?
>>
>>61695514
actually they did, and it's kind of upsetting. but i doubt my friends will believe them, but i hate getting texts about it from people i know
>>
It's pretty normal. People tend to appreciate those who die more than those who still live. It helps if you were talented and likeable.

Some people get weird about that and think only they should be able to be sad about it because they were the "true fans" and in some sense there for own it and they should be almost get some sort of credit for being "true fans"
>>
I loved his music and cared about it

Now it pisses me off when someone tells me "hur youre only talking about him 'cause he's dead" when I actually talked about him all the time
>>
I was talking to a coworker about Bowie, and she said she never really liked him that much when he was alive, so she's not going to listen to his music now that he's dead, because she'd feel like she was doing what everyone else is doing.
The thing is, his music is fantastic, so I don't think it's such a bad thing to get into Bowie now that he's trending. I think there couldn't be a better time to do so, because his music has so much merit. So what if everyone else is listening to his music now?
>>
>>61684688
I was hoping they'd stop making over the top F&F movies after that, now they're just an insult to whatever "legacy" he left behind.
>>
>>61689682
yes
>>
>>61684664
Ziggy Stardust is one of my all time favorite albums still.
>>
>>61684672
i'm not really a huge fan or anything
>>
I couldn't put his name to a single song until a few days ago.

I'm completely underwhelmed by his music. I've always like his image, however.
>>
>>61695940
Yeah I know, its really stupid when people have this much concern over what others think about them for doing something.
I mean, I just started properly listening to Bowie's stuff 2 days ago, mainly the evening before his death. I listened to a bunch of big songs by him just to get to know his stuff.

Then, the next morning, he is dead. It shocked me so fucking much, man.
But you know what? I actually will listen to all his good stuff and I will enjoy it, and I don't care whether people think that's pretending or not. I'm not doing it for attention but because I really like his music. I know this, and the fact that others may not is not of concern to me.

(I've listened to the Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust album like 5 times now, its SOOOO good man.)
>>
>>61695940
>>61695940
not listening to his music because his death made it 'in' is just as shallow and vapid as listening to his music because his death made it 'in'

"your coworker" will be a plebe whatever "she" chooses to do until she learns the true secret of patricianhood - not giving a shit
>>
>>61696188
It comes with maturity desu.
>>
>>61684664
Bowie wasn't some underground artist, m8. He was a cultural icon. He made a fuckload of accessible music.

People were broken up over Michael dying. People will be broken up over Prince dying. People will be broken up over Justin Timberlake dying. Get the fuck over it, "real fan."
>>
>>61696380
Could be, I'm 20 so there's still room for that :)
>>
>>61684664
Three or four songs? Are you kidding? Everyone knows his songs. They were played so much.

Space Oddity
Modern Love
Let's Dance
Changes
Life on Mars?
China Girl
Ashes to Ashes
Golden Years
Suffragette City
Fame
Young Americans
Starman
fuck...even Under Pressure and his version of Dancing in the Street with Mick Jagger was everywhere
>>
>>61696603
>and his version of Dancing in the Street with Mick Jagger was everywhere
jesus that was such a great list of legendary singles and then you had to end it by reminding me of that piece of shit

:(
>>
>>61696603
rebel rebel
>>
File: CYd6xY5WEAEKaT6.jpg (13 KB, 236x327) Image search: [Google]
CYd6xY5WEAEKaT6.jpg
13 KB, 236x327
>>61690052
Mozart was a good musician, but his compositions are mostly shit. It's always amusing to find out what normal people consider the apex of music (hint: it's definitely not David Bowie either). However, Bowie was unique in that he fused accessibility and art in a way that a majority of people from different backgrounds could enjoy.
>>
>>61696727

The video is fucking hilarious however
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.