[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: Julia_Holter.jpg (92 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Julia_Holter.jpg
92 KB, 900x900
Hey everyone, I was wondering if some nice anons might be able to suggest some artists or albums that I might like based on some of my tastes? I haven't been following music very closely over the past few years, and now that I'm trying to get back into it I'd love to discover some older artists I might have missed or some newer stuff that has a similar sound.

So I really love traditional folk, contemporary folk, folk rock, southern rock, country & western, bluegrass, basically anything with an acoustic guitar or a lot of stringed instruments and someone with a nice voice. Good old stuff like Dylan, Dave Van Ronk, Neil Young, Nick Drake, Steve Earle, Johnny Cash, and some newer stuff like My Morning Jacket, The Avett Brothers, Fleet Foxes and Father John Misty, Iron & Wine, Trampled by Turtles.

I just recently was recommended pic related, Julia Holter's most recent album and I'm really loving it! More like that please, if you have any suggestions! Thanks! Love you guys.
>>
>>61684085
This is what chart threads are for
>>
>>61684085
Literally Tegan and Sara with harpsichord and strings.
>>
http://www.stereogum.com/1837097/cross-record-steady-waves/mp3s/
https://crossrecord.bandcamp.com/album/wabi-sabi
releases January 29, 2016
>>
>>61684103
Yeah I realize the chart threads would probably help me out with stuff like this, it can be hard to figure out those charts sometimes though. Like if someone has a chart with some newer stuff I might not have heard of, I won't recognize the cover art and I can't always tell if it's the type of stuff I would like. And a lot of people's charts are very diverse. Is there like a /Folk General/ or something like that I could watch out for? Does folk music get discussed a lot here on /mu/?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqa1AM7efZ0
>>
I recommend you the album in pic related, anon ~

I hope you'll enjoy it

It's called Universal Themes by Sun Kil Moon
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esA6bbd7xts
>>
File: 99892.jpg (291 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
99892.jpg
291 KB, 540x540
>>61684292
Forgot to post the picture of it
>>
>>61684154
Love it! I'll definitely have to check out that album when it's released. Thanks anon!
>>
>>61684085
Some great folk artists

Big Blood
Simon Finn
Joanna Newsom
Nick Drake
Vashti Bunyan
>>
>>61684303
my absolute pleasure glad you like it. I just found them myself only a couple hours ago.
>>
File: microphonesglow.jpg (152 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
microphonesglow.jpg
152 KB, 600x600
>>61684303
You seem like a sweet person imo so i'll recommend you more

This album is called The Glow Pt. 2 by The Microphones
>>
>>61684305
>Vashti Bunyan
oh damn, good call. I have to admit she has the exact kind of excellent albums that I'm unfortunately prone to forgetting.
>>
File: first-utterance-comus.jpg (104 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
first-utterance-comus.jpg
104 KB, 600x600
I also recommend First Utterance by Comus,
>>
>>61684274
This is really cool, sort of a weird baroque feel to it. I usually have a hard time getting into purely instrumental stuff (I'm a pleb I know) but I liked this. Thanks!

>>61684292
>>61684302
Thanks friend, I'll check it out!
>>
>>61684327
Oh I second this if you haven't
>>
>>61684300
This is interesting, kind of dark/fuzzy/muddy for my taste but I could see myself enjoying it in a certain setting. Thanks!
>>
>>61684353
>>61684382
awesome glad you like them
>>
>>61684327
Why rec pleb shit crazyaga?
>>
>>61684305
This is great, thank you.

>>61684327
>>61684343
Awesome! This Microphones album sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. Perfect, thank you.
>>
>>61684395
Lol oops, I am a total pleb but I'm ok with it because I really enjoy that kind of sound.
>>
If you like Bluedrass you should check out The Steeldrivers. Here's my favorite song of theirs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8BWtm5eTJk
>>
>>61684485
This is what I'm talking about! My favorite kind of sound right here, thank you so much anon.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.