[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Connection between J Dilla and Bowie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
When I found out Bowie died, one of the things to pop into my head is the resemblance to Dilla's death. Both were musicians acclaimed for their work and beloved by many in their respective genres. Both happened to die few days after they released a critically acclaimed album. Then it started to get a bit weirder. They died 10 years apart from each other. Then I noticed that their deaths happened around the same time of year. Coincidence? Some crazy theory as to why this is? I'm not sure. Just thought it was a interesting coincidence. Rest in Peace Bowie.
>>
J Dilla was a fucking hack who didn't write songs. He took melodies from songs made my real musicians, then looped them over a generic drum beat to make them as pleb friendly/ringtone ready as possible.

Literally a glorified remix DJ at best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWbzAa_c1VY

David Bowie was a songwriter.
>>
>>61672355
>still getting BTFO post mortem

hell be fine
>>
People knew Dilla was dying though
>>
Isn't that what most producers in hip hop do? That's what the grand scale of it is. Producers aren't really musicians in a sense but rather composers. Bowie was talented in both while Dilla was talented in the use of sampling. Donuts was one of the most influential albums in the hip hop genre and it can't be denied. If you like or dislike him though is a different question all together
>>
>>61672585

It influenced more shitty music
>>
Donuts kinda sucks compared to Blackstar though.
>>
Donuts is a compilation of other musician's music, not an original piece of work
>>
>>61673008
Looks like you don't like rap
>>
>>61673080
I think you can apply that to most instrumental albums from the hip hop genre such as any instrumental album from Madlib. It can also apply to Daft Punk and many other electronic musicians
>>
>>61672355

>Generic drum beat

Oooooooooh boy. Oh man. Oh boy oh man. Please educate yourself about rhythm before you speak about Dilla. His take on time, feel and groove changed hip hop and directly influenced the kinds of drum feels that you now can hear on a million records since. He also spawned a generation of real drummers who spend thousands of hours of practice trying to emulate his grooves on a drum set. You don't see dudes like Questlove walking around in those "J Dilla Changed My Life" T shirts for nothing.
>>
I thought this too, mostly because the album's are related to them being aware of their impending doom.

Dilla made Donuts on his literal death bed as his last piece of work to ever be on this earth, Bowie made Blackstar knowing the cancer was getting him putting his fears and worries into a final album.

Both of their deaths directly effect the connection and experience of the albums directly.
>>
>>61673008
The Roots are an amazing band with an almost flawless discography, and they all cute Dill as one of their main influences.
>>
>>61673383
>jimmy fallon's house band
>amazing

top kek
>>
>>61672314

what was the name of j Dillas album?

>>61673383
>>
>>61673410
"things fall apart" is one of the best rap albums of all time
>>
>>61673458
Donuts. On of the most influential albums in the past few years and a great one if you have an appreciation for the art of sampling or hip hop/rap
>>
>>61673791

thanks, been listening to a lot of madlib lately i'll check it out.
>>
>>61672314
No one really fucked with Dilla outside his circle like you internet hipsters jizz over him today hahaha people were writing into magazines saying he ruined ATCQ and Slum Village
>>
>>61672314
This is basically the same thing as the resemblance between Abe Lincoln and JFK. It's cherry-picking data without taking it all in and without realizing how you got to your conclusion and not paying attention to the points of data that missed the correlation.
>>
File: plebs.jpg (40 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
plebs.jpg
40 KB, 400x402
>>61672355
>generic drum beat
>conflating sampling and remixing
>being this fedora
>>
>>61675393
great argument
>>
File: topkek.gif (492 KB, 176x216) Image search: [Google]
topkek.gif
492 KB, 176x216
>>61672355
>>61675426
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-inside-story-of-david-bowies-stunning-new-album-blackstar-20151123

>"We were listening to a lot of Kendrick Lamar," says producer Tony Visconti. "The goal was to avoid rock & roll"

>mfw
>>
File: 19-david-bowie.w529.h529.jpg (45 KB, 529x529) Image search: [Google]
19-david-bowie.w529.h529.jpg
45 KB, 529x529
Dilla was nowhere near the same, stop pushing this

Dilla just made some great music whilst he was dying and severely handicapped, the story is bittersweet and the music is great but thats as deep as it gets.

Bowie deceived everyone right under their noses ensuring that nothing would taint the musics crypticism, whilst the most desirable option was to survive and spill the beans himself, he also anticipated that his death would serve as the great crescendo to the album itself, creating almost every feel under the sun, embarassment, inspiration, misery etc.

Dilla made a nice album whilst in alot of pain and died, Bowie made a nice album whilst in alot of pain and not letting anybody knew what was really going on and keeping up a ruse of imagery and sound with the end goal either being his medical success or a spectacular and infamous death to his legacy
>>
>>61675726
>Dilla just made some great music whilst he was dying and severely handicapped, the story is bittersweet and the music is great but thats as deep as it gets.
Uhh not really. Dilla spent his final breaths pouring the remainder of his life into donuts.

Blackstar is a great art piece considering that it's narrative deals with death front on, but it's really more of an existential piece than anything. Listening to it now it really shows how fucking terrified bowie was of his fate.

Donuts was dilla giving thanks to everything that happened in his life, the ups and downs and mostly life's circular nature. Think about it, donuts takes you through so many different emotions and then it ends on the same note it starts on. Same beat and everything.

They were both made by men aware of their immediate fate, but their swan songs were completely different. Donuts was a tribute to life itself, while blackstar was david screaming for help on the edge of the abyss.
>>
>>61676266
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself
>>
>>61676266
Not really
>>
It's obvious, the label is trying to capitalize off the death of a major celebrity.

It's how the world works anon.

99% sure whoever ordered his murder was Jewish.
>>
>>61677188
>hurr everything is a secret ploy by an invisible higher power

you need to spend some time off 4chan buddy

>inb4 /pol/ stock replies
>>
>>61673410
>Things Fall Apart
>Game Theory
>How I Got Over
>motherfucking Undun
>bad
Nigga actually die
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.