[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people cry over pop stars dying? It seems completely weird...they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 20
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
Why do people cry over pop stars dying? It seems completely weird...they don't give a fuck about you and their music is made for mass consumption. How do you even feel a personal connection to this sort of person? I'm trying to understand.
>>
you just don't get it
>>
>>61660074
Because they were told to by an authority
>>
>>61660074
It's a little thing called "hype", try to get some sometime.
>>
>>61660074
Because they're ego driven and see an opportunity for more personal recognition on the internet
>>
>>61660074
Bowie is Mozart tier, you fucking unwashed prole.
>>
>>61660074

>>Why do people cry over pop stars dying?

>parents both fans of Bowie when they first met and saw him perform live before I was born
>I saw Bowie live in 1996
>Bowie was played at my dads funeral
>I cried when Bowie died

too many fucking feels for me man.
>>
>>61660074
>they don't give a fuck about you so why do you have an emotional attachment to them
You might be retarded. Or autistic.
>>
>>61660074
>they don't give a fuck about you
That's because they're dead
>>
>>61660074
>they don't give a fuck about you
Neither do many composers, I imagine.

Also, see: >>61660180.
>>
>>61660074
you don't feel personal connection to music? come on...
>>
You don't understand because you're fucking autistic.
>>
Are you autistic?
>>
>>61660234
I wouldn't cry over a composer or author or whatever I didn't know dying either.

It's sad they will not create more work, but being so upset about a person you don't know dying seems bizarre.
>>
>>61660158
>trendhopping pop musician
>mozart-tier

i like bowie too but goddamn you're delusional
>>
>>61660235
To music yes, not to musicians as people. Especially not huge stars I have no connection to at all.
>>
>>61660338
Oh, ok. That's how I imagine most people who don't have a personal connection to a person's music would act.
>>
>>61660338
I don't think i will ever cry about the death of a person i don't know personally too, but that doesn't mean i don't understand why people do, it's a pretty easy concept.
>>
why is there a thread like this every single fucking time someone dies?
>>
>>61660383
What do you mean? I find some peoples art very moving and it matters to me. But the person who creates it is almost secondary - too far removed for me to be personally invested in.
>>
>>61660422
Because some people have autism.
>>
>>61660338

People made love to Michael Jackson songs. It's not a difficult concept to understand why people would cry when someone like David Bowie dies. He made people feel that it's okay to be themselves. If you have a hard time understanding this concept you must be at the very least autistic.
>>
>>61660422
>why is there a thread like this every single fucking time someone dies?

You're asking why people make threads about famous musicians on a music board when they die.. Really?!
>>
He recorded an album while battling cancer, when he should have been spending all his time with his family. He also even performed in two music videos. I'm sorry, but you're a complete fucking moron if you don't think that Bowie gives a shit about his fans. If he didn't care, then he wouldn't have bothered recording an album or doing all this stuff.
>>
>>61660480
>autism autism autism

I'm not. Making love to a song wouldn't endear me to its CREATOR to such a strong degree. The song still exists after all.
>>
>>61660074
I like his music and am sad he won't get to make more. Although he honestly was probably done after Blackstar. Also for the most part he seemed like a cool dude, so why not mourn him? Just don't go overboard like an attention seeking faggot.
>agghhh I'm literally so borken up over bowie dying Dx

Also while we're at it we should point out he just released black star, so that's probably why people care so much. He was in the forefront of their mind already, and this just compounds it.
>>
>>61660515
Caring about your art is not the same as caring about someone personally.
>>
>>61660443
>What do you mean?
See most of the other replies in this thread. People often vicariously sympathize with artists through their works.
>>
>>61660522
You are autistic though
>>
>>61660074
>Why do people cry over pop stars dying? It seems completely weird...they don't give a fuck about you

Same reason people cry when pets die, the harsh reality is most pets don't give a fuck about you either but people cry all the same
>>
Because it's cool to feel sad over a dead musician. Half the people on this board have just been quoting lyrics to space oddity the whole time, I doubt they can even name another song that wasnt on guitar hero or that Adam Sandler movie. Bunch of fucking losers
>>
>>61660178
what sond did they play at your father's funeral?
>>
>>61660593

You sad cunt.
>>
>>61660074

>Why do people cry over pop stars dying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bSIYCa8U6w
>>
Honestly, I didn't get it until today. I'm pretty fucking old, too old to be crying over a celebrity but this hit me.

I know this sounds lame but Bowie was a big fucking deal in my life. I don't even know how to explain it but he was a really important part of what made me (and millions of other kids that didn't really want to live on this planet) who I am am. No one else will get it and that's fine. Most people reading this will think I'm pretty pathetic and I probably agree.

I'm not even sad in an I miss you sort of way, I'm sad because I know he was pretty fucking happy with his life and he didn't want to die. He just wanted to relax and he deserved it.
>>
>>61660578
you don't have to care about somebody personally to care about them, moron. It's obvious this album was a farewell gift to fans.
>>
File: 1452317914355.jpg (22 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1452317914355.jpg
22 KB, 480x480
>>61660158
>>
>>61660624

It was Five Years
>>
>>61660074
you don't understand because you have a personality disorder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy
>>
>>61660631
Are you gonna sit here and pretend he's not right?
>>
>>61660578
sorry wrong person, meant to respond to him

>>61660546
>>
Reminds us all of our own mortality. Even people as famous and successful as bowie are gonna die.
>>
>>61660645

>missing the point
>>
File: CYcqbMfUoAMU_fk.jpg (22 KB, 280x284) Image search: [Google]
CYcqbMfUoAMU_fk.jpg
22 KB, 280x284
The rise and fall was probably one of the first records I bought. Then he hooked up with lou and iggy and really made them a bit relevant again. And eno and fripp around the same time. And that was my roots.So I have a lot of time with him. And his music moved me.And me being gay, Bowie was all for that. Bowie made some very beautiful stuff, and it's sad he won't be doing that anymore.I'm trying to understand these tears myself.
>>
I cried because he was basically a personal hero of mine. His courage to be himself have me the courage to be myself and act with integrity. That it's OK the be goofy and a weirdo. His musicianship also inspired me to pursue a career in music and songwriting. I'm also madly in love with his character the goblin king, he was like my number one husbando. So, yeah I may not have known him personally. But, I'm basically experiencing the loss of a mentor with him gone. I will also never have the chance to see him live or meet him in person, no matter how slim the chances of that may have been.

I bawled. I bawled hard.
>>
>>61660683

>sorry wrong person
OK m80 :3
>>
>>61660340
>>61660655

In 250 years people will still be talking about Bowie and listening to his music. That makes him Mozart-tier in a manner of speaking.
>>
>>61660631
He's right though.
>>
>>61660807
If that makes it easier to sleep at night, keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>61660074
You're completely right. Seriously, I will never understand it. Especially how people consider this an edgy thing to think. Millions of people die every day who you know just as well as someone like Bowie, and you don't shed a tear for them

OP is completely right and if you actually disagree I want to hear your argument as to why not
>>
>>61660757
I don't care if I am on 4chan and that I will be called names but your post fucking moved me.

I feel similar, bro. My thoghts are with you, his art will remain alive in our hearts and minds,
>>
>>61660868
There is no argument. It's just people wanting attention and to be recognized, even if it is just "mourning" somebody that didn't even know they existed.
>>
>>61660074
I don't get it either, I don't even cry at relatives funerals. I think in my situation it's desensitization and very little will move me to tears. That said, it sucks that Bowie died, but I would be lying if I said I'm going to cry about it. It does bum me out though, especially considering how good Blackstar was, he had the potential to keep putting out decent work for the world to enjoy.
>>
Bowie isn't a fucking pop artist, he's a legend
>>
>>61660868
The argument is that people have made personnal connections to bowie's art and it s lyrics .Memories attached to his songs carry such weight in their lives that they can't help but cry.
>>
>>61660338

>a person you don't know

do you mean a person you've never met? physical contact isn't everything, you know. I have an uncle in the states. we meet like once in a decade, yet I'd still barf like a bitch if he died.
>>
>>61661011
That would be either delusional, or narcissistic.
>>
>>61660074
Because you have a bad case of the autism my friend
>>
>>61661026
Seeing the guy at a autograph signing or a similar onetime event. It does seem rather emo to bitch about a pop musician dying. Unless you were actually relevant in their life.
>>
My dad just turned 60 the day after Bowie turned 69. He'd seen him live several times, had every album, got me into his music when I was a teen.

This Christmas, I got him the Ziggy Stardust live in 1973 dvd, we watched it together. I ordered him a Bowie t-shirt that still hasn't come (would be appropriate if it arrives today). Just yesterday, before knowing he died, my dad spent the entire day getting his music on his phone so he can hear it in the car.

Why do people get upset over these things? Because someone like Bowie has meant something to a lot of people and losing him leaves the world a little more empty of greatness. As we face the next handful of years, more and more of the greats from our parents' generation will be dying. One after another, one loss after the next, hitting us hard each time as we face the merciless impermanence of life.
>>
>>61660868
Because they never had any influence on your life, you don't know a single shit about these millions, you are not aware of their story, it's harder to empathize. Their lifework never reached you, at least not in a conscious level. When a blank face in the crowd goes off there no reason to mourn. They will be missed by the people they reached, it's the same process just happens in a smaller scale. Bowie as many artists before spoken to many, art skips a lot of steps you don't to know the artist on a personal level to feel attachment, so it's natural his loss is felt by a greater number of people.
>>
>>61660980
Those aren’t mutually exclusive things.
>>
>>61661053

Irony that you're being both of those things right now hasn't dawned on you?

Music emotionally moves people, finding out someone who made that music has died can also move you; Bowie was an important part of growing up for a lot of people, he shaped them in some way - mourning is perfectly legitimate.

How is that hard to understand?
>>
>>61661135
Real mature. Is random slow right now?
>>
>>61660158
My sides
>>
>>61661188
You clearly don't know what those words mean.
>>
>All the bandwagonner faggots screaming "lol youre autistic :)"
Hurry up, go post your hashtag shit on Facebook and Twitter before your friends do :^)
>>
>>61661167
Yeah, I guess that's true and can't be dismissed as illegitimate. Something about it still seems very weird to me, but it's less that I've ever had a real problem with seeing people do it than it was just me being personally baffled.

And I'm not like this guy,
>>61660968, I'm generally a very emotive and empathetic person.
>>
>>61661253
Assuming you are OP, then it is narcissism to make a thread which you have no interest in an actual discussion, just want to make your own point, if it's not narcissism and you wanted a discussion, then you are delude to not work out that people form genuine connections to people through their art.
>>
>>61660074
If you've listened to a particular artist for years and years and love their work to death this will happen.
>>
>>61661379
>love their work to death
Did you kill bowie with your love?
>>
>>61661329
It's just how it works. It's why you can be touched by a dramatized version of a person life or a documentary. Because from that moment on a small part of their story was shared with you and you can relate in a level.
>>
>>61661403
I don't listen to much bowie actually that's just the reason for ops question IMHO SENPAI
>>
>>61660074
You don't need to have known artists personally to feel loss and sadness when they die. If through their art they brought happiness then emotional bonds are made.
There's also the despair of knowing that great wave of talent and innovation from the mid 20th century is slowly being replaced by Biebers and Wests. Truly horrifying.
>>
>>61660658
lmao
>>
>>61661216
>>61661320

Inability to empathize with others while making cold "logical" statements in a situation like this is a common symptom of autism.

Get tested, seriously.
>>
>>61661354
Genuine connections? Do you love Captain Crunch because of the cereal you ate as a kid? Not OP BTW.
>>
>>61661426
It's aight my man, I was just joshin. Bowie's pretty good though, I started listening to his stuff like a week ago with the Five Years boxset and downloaded the discography so got a bit of exploring to do.
>>
>>61660689
you hear about people dying every day on the news though
>>
>>61661486
You think that's a "cold and logical" statement? That's a common symptom of retardation my friend.

Get tested, seriously
>>
>>61661510 ---> >>61661486
>>
>>61661510
Shit comparison friend. Either bait or you are way to dumb to bother with.
>>
>>61660864
But he's right
>>
>>61661510

No but I was sad when Mr Rogers died because of watching his show when I was a kid.
>>
>>61661486
>>61661545
>I can't understand there's some people that don't care about my favorite pop musician
You're not in a position to call anyone autistic
>>61661573
Mozart isn't Mozart because he's famous years after his death.
>>
>>61661486
You weren't related to him. He didn't know you existed. You didn't work for him. None of his family members know you existed. The people he played with didn't know you existed. His agent doesn't know who you are. His writers don't know who you are. Nobody that was really connected to him, in a business/familial/friendly/creative knows you exist.
>>
>>61661615

No one said they didn't understand why someone else wouldn't care.
>>
File: rachman.jpg (754 KB, 1176x1492) Image search: [Google]
rachman.jpg
754 KB, 1176x1492
>>61660074
>getting mad at people whose lives you know nothing about mourning the death of one of the most famous artists on the planet, arguably the most famous.

Narcissism is believing that your not caring is the correct thing and that everyone is acting perversely, faggot.
>>
File: 1451894954227.gif (2 MB, 388x218) Image search: [Google]
1451894954227.gif
2 MB, 388x218
>>61661486
>>61661531
>Get tested, seriously.
Not that person, but even if they got tested and diagnosed what would honestly change? There isn't any good treatments for Autism, yeah they might throw you on SSRIs or one of those drugs that give you Gynocomastia, maybe even naltrexone, but none of this is going to really matter in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes I wonder if I'm somewhere on the autism spectrum, and I don't even bother wasting my time getting tested because honestly, what's the point?
>>
Maybe because that person impacted your life one way or another? Every relationship doesn't have to be one on one or personal. Music is a perfect way an artist branches to others personally, basically saying "Here are my feelings, my ambitions, my inspiration, and my past" wrapped up in a song. That's the power music has, the ability for one to feel connected with the artist, and if you can't understand that, then I don't really understand why you're on this board
>>
>>61661636
>I only care about people who care about me.

Are you a child? There is an age requirement for these boards. Your suckling need for affirmation and myopic attitude makes me think you're a child.
>>
File: Bowie.gif (2 MB, 300x241) Image search: [Google]
Bowie.gif
2 MB, 300x241
>>61660193
>>
>>61661636

What does any of that matter? Do you think when someone dies people think "gosh, this person will never think of me again." Someones opinion about your own existence isn't relevant.
>>
>>61661615
It's not that you don't care that makes you autistic, is that you don't understand why people would care. I don't care myself either since i never got around listening bowie's music.
>>
>>61660102
lol jesus christ
>>
>>61661651
There's a gulf between crying like a bitch/posting attention whore posts on Facebook or Twitter and moving on from a pop artists death.
>>
>>61661636
For an autist you sure do attribute a lot of value to interpersonal relationships.
>>
>>61661636
>>
>>61661728
>posting attention whore posts on Facebook

You are a sad person.
>>
>>61661687
>Your suckling need for affirmation
But that's literally what mourning threads are. Only reason people post they feel sad about Bowie's dead is to hear other people say "me too"
>>
>>61661636
Nobody would care if you died.
>>
>>61661695
>>61661687
Do you sob when reading the obituary section?
>>
>>61661750
I agree, Facebook is for subhumans. So is Twitter
>>
Yeah, why would you ever be attached to something or someone?
>>
File: depressed.jpg (28 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
depressed.jpg
28 KB, 720x720
>>61661752
>Only reason people post they feel sad about Bowie's dead is to hear other people say "me too"

>one of the most basic human instincts triggers me.
>>
Different guy, but I have a Facebook just to keep up on sports. I know that may seem odd to the tumblerina and hipster crowd here.
>>
>>61661636

First of all, I'm not a big Bowie Fan. I just called OP out on what could be literal autism.

You are working from the logic that you have to personally be involved with someone to warrant emotional connection.

And because these fans don't meet that requirement they are wrong, or attention seekers in your eyes.

Then you feel the need to state this to fans not even 24hours later because your criteria for emotional attachment is the correct way and everyone is incorrect.

You're the worst kind of attention seeker and possibly quite autistic.

Like I said, get tested.
>>
>>61661779

Do you really not see the difference between an artist that really affected the lives of a lot of fucked up kids and some random person you've never heard of? I get it that Bowie is just some random person to you and I don't expect you to care about him but you gotta realize there is a difference.
>>
I don't cry over celebrities, but surely you could understand why people do, right? Artists can still make a big impact on your life even if they don't know who you are.
>>
>you will never be so good at marketing yourself that thousands of people cry over your death
>>
>>61661834
lol why would anyone here care about your facebook habits
>>
File: skeletalchuckle.jpg (146 KB, 1001x667) Image search: [Google]
skeletalchuckle.jpg
146 KB, 1001x667
>>61661693
If they could have got him on a bike around this time, he could have had a whole second career.
>>
>>61661828
Why would I feel triggered? I'm pointing out that it's fucking stupid to criticize someone for needing affirmation when the whole fucking board is doing it. I don't care if you do it or not.
>>
File: jon-hamm-don-draper-mad-men[1].jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
jon-hamm-don-draper-mad-men[1].jpg
18 KB, 400x300
>>61661636

>Call outs people on the internet for being sad about an idol
>Sleeps with an anime pillow

I actually feel bad about you, waifus will never die
>>
>>61661837
Everyone in this thread is an attention whore. Whether it's to hear "-sniff-, me too!" or "get over it already pussy!", we're all looking for attention because we have nothing better to do. Calling out only one side does nothing to differentiate you as being better or " autistic".
>>
>>61661879
>>61661783
>>
>>61660074
Agreed tbqh.
>>
>>61661977
I hate anime and weaboos as much as I hate kanye and aldean. Try again.
>>
>>61661981
And? Do you feel like some kind of genius for figuring this shit? Just like people go through human emotions. There's no need to be "the voice of logic and reason" in this situation.
>>
>>61661636
The point is that people have personal attachments to his music, and they respect the man greatly.

If you don't understand why it's upsetting, you obviously have problems in the head.
>>
Some people are missing something in live OP, actually most people, and for a lot of people its filled with musicians. They look to artists like Bowie when theyre at their lowest and they help them through times. If thats not enough to even comprehend why someone could shed a tear over Bowies death youre an insensitive prick
>>
>>61662055

My point is you are right and wrong, yes there is people that will only post just to be part of the moment and gain attention and at the same time there are true fans that really identified to his music, they dont give a shit if Bowie knew them or not it doesnt make a difference its about the impact his music had on their lives, yes he was that good.
>>
>>61662116
>>61662115
>>61661981
>>61661828

Actually, no. I am using rational logic and you are using groupthink and irrationality. It makes no sense to mourn a man who doesn't know who you are. Like funerals, all mourning is attention seeking "look at me I'm special" stuff driven by an ego desire. Furthermore, I am not autistic, and in fact will be spending the time you spend pooling attention to the pursuits of logic and power.
>>
>>61662116
Oh I understand. "He's telling me to be me! He knows my problems!" Are Bowie fans this soft? When Lemmy passed, the threads weren't half as laughably emo as these.
>>
>>61660074
I feel sad that i can't enjo any more of Bowie's music
That's a pretty retarded post OP tbqh
>>
>>61662246
At funerals, people there actually knew/loved/were friends with/or liked the deceased in real life. Big difference.
>>
>>61662263

Sure, I was that soft when I was 12 or 13. What's your point? Also, everyone has been waiting on Lemmy to die for years.
>>
>>61660074
People can have influence over your life even if they're not directly related to you or care about you, this is the cool thing about people, we have this thing called culture. Crying over the deaths of culture icons is crying over the conclusion of their legacy. It's also a chance to reminisce in all the good things that they brought you, all the feelings that they made you feel, and it's also a stark reminder of one's mortality.
>>
>>61662246
Will save this post for my ocasional fedora posting, ty my man.
>>
>>61661651
>David Bowie is the world's most famous artist
I love his work, but I doubt he's on that level. I'd say Paul McCartney is higher on the list. Having said that, OP is just being an edgy idiot.
>>
File: Froome.png (229 KB, 297x403) Image search: [Google]
Froome.png
229 KB, 297x403
>>61661884
>>
Bowie's music wasn't made for mass consumption. That's what makes him so special. He got to do whatever the fuck he wanted and still have a grip on the pop audience.
>>
>>61662326
How is it any different? Death is death, doesn't matter whether it's expected or not. Well, I guess it would if you're really sheltered growing up. Or just emotionally weak or emo.
>>
>>61662424

Paul McCartney is higher on the list for boomers. They're too busy worrying about their own deaths to worry about McCartney though.
>>
human nature

caring about art

feeling like you're no longer alone

this is why I cried
>>
>>61662467
Bowie was a trendsetter, really. Pop music was made to follow him, and that made him all the more lovable.

>>61662493
Nah man, Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger are like, THE rock icons. Just my opinion, anyway.
>>
>>61662246
>Psychopaths
Kek

The FBI has your IP now
>>
>>61662424
>I love his work, but I doubt he's on that level. I'd say Paul McCartney is higher on the list

That actually seems unlikely on the basis that Bowie released high quality music up to last week, is involved in the production of important new culture (movies and games take great inspiration from him flagrantly) and is bigger than you'd think abroad.

Paul releases lots of junk and there's no mythos around him.
>>
>>61662491

Having lost a whole hell of a lot of people close to me including my both of my parents I can say, that for me at least, it's a hell of a lot worse when you don't see it coming.
>>
There is nothing more Crawling in my skin-tier edgelord shit than saying it's wrong to mourn someone just because "he/she didn't even know you".
>>
>>61660074
OP is a cunt.
>>
>>61660074
I cri everytiem a music icon dies. Every. Tiem.

I'm listening to Dollar Days right now and am crying my eyes out.
>>
>>61660074
Because you like their work and death is codification of never hearing or seeing or reading anything from them ever again.
Even people that aren't really working anymore is saddening, death has a finality that being out of vogue or retired just doesn't.
>>
>>61660074
to show how sophisticated they are for knowing about pop stars from generations prior to theirs
>>
>>61662263
No, actually.

The first time my closest group of friends met up, we had a Bowie record playing in the background and I'd never heard him before. Those guys stayed with me thick and thin and we always listened to that record along with a few others when we hung out, had BBQs and played vidya.

Closely related to that, I listened to a lot of his music during the best period of my life, and so in general I have a lot of emotional associations with his music.

Does that satisfy your autism?
>>
>People calling the thousands who say they loved his music "posers"

You realise that he's one of the most well known musicians like ever, right? He's not some underground musician.
>>
It sucks n all that he died but I just get annoyed about dead musicians eventually. They cause all the radio shows I listen to at work to turn into just a big "muh genius. muh cultural icon" circlejerk for 2 hours, then you get 5 minutes of news, then we return for another 2 hours of Bowie circlejerk or whoever it is that has died.

As a proud Brit, I am dreading the week Queen Elizabeth dies. Not only for my leader dying but mostly the absolute interminable circlejerk the radio, the news and conversation with casual acquaintances I meet is going to be.
>>
>>61660757
>David Bowie
>courage to be himself

um what?
>>
>>61662785
So is that autism now? Laughing/cringing at emos and attention whores?
>>
Cult of personality.
>>
Damn, this is one helluva circlejerk.
>>
When your hero dies, you'll understand
>>
>>61660074
You don't actually care, do you?
>>
>>61662837
Thousands being the key word there, not millions.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 720x405
>>61664003
Not him, but fuck it. I don't even care anymore. Have a great day.
>>
>>61660178
rich twat
>>
>>61662837

Even my old-ass conservative grandparents loved Bowie and those same old fucks hated The Beatles.
>>
>>61664045
This.
>>
Muh hero juss died! Leave us alone! -sniff- -snuff-
>>
>>61660538
>Although he honestly was probably done after Blackstar.

Well yeah. He knew he was literally dying as he made it.
>>
>>61664156
Poor garbage
>>
>>61664211
"Lemmy died? Damn. I'll drink one for him. Respects."
"Bowie died? He sang like he knew me! Music has lost an icon and legend!"
>>
>>61660868
It's not about David, it's about his music. Like everyone else here, I don't know anything at all about Bowie personally. All the judgement I can make is from his music. Like most functioning humans, I get attached to artists though their music. You create an imaginary bond with artists this way. You know they don't know you or care probably, but you still like them a lot because of what they created. It's called being a fan. You can be a fan of anyone for anything. Actors, painters, dancers, singers, athletes, youtubers, if it exist then you can be a fan of it. So why care when they die? You don't know them, they don't care about you. Well, you're sad because you like seeing that person work at what they do. You like it when a musician releases a new album, you like it when your favorite athlete wins the game. You're sad because that person you enjoy watching doesn't exist anymore. They're gone forever. You don't care about that person for their personality, you care because you enjoy what they making. You're favorite toothpaste stops being made, you're a little sad. You're favorite show gets canceled, you're sad. A musician you've grown up with and loved for decades dies, again, you're going to be sad. Humans get sad. It's an emotion. When humans lose something they like, they get sad. People act like this is new information to them
>>
>proud of being unable to form meaningful connections in your life
not surprising since this is the same board that glorifies virginity
>>
>>61664277
You have no talent.
>>
>>61664277
I'm middle-class and I gotta agree with him. Let me guess, you go to concerts in air-conditioning tents and swimming pools.
>>
>>61660566
Better autistic than a grab-ass faggot
>>
Because some people aren't autistic or psychopaths.
>>
>>61664277
Faggots like you changed festivals from being about music to comfort and separation. Upper middle class here and no I don't do that pussy VIP mess.
>>
>>61664367
>not broken up over pop stars death
>psychopath

Don't be stupid. Most people expend most of their emotional energy on real people.
>>
>>61664424
Real people near and dear to them you mean.
>>
>>61662246
>It makes no sense to mourn a man who doesn't know who you are.
This is the stupidest shit I have ever read, this happens often (mourning over estranged parents, grandparents, etc). All that's necessary is for the mourning party to be attached emotionally to the deceased. It makes sense to mourn death in general retard, it's literally human nature
>>
I can't tell if this is just shitposting? Or people on here are still on this YT comment section pseudo-intellectual edginess?
>>
>>61664327
>liking some pop songs
>meaningful connection
>>
>>61660700
homo
>>
>>61664493
Damn.
>>
>>61660522
You argument operates under the pretense that YOU don't develop an emotional attachment to artists you listen to. Most people who are actually sad about Bowie dying are probably genuine fans of him

You're retarded
>>
>>61660074
>doesn't give a fuck about me
>based Bowie urging a No vote
>backing the right in general

David was a saint. And his music was perfect.

You must be a Yank.
>>
File: 1440369003399.gif (2 MB, 209x213) Image search: [Google]
1440369003399.gif
2 MB, 209x213
>you can't effect someone unless you're directly talking to them, mourning someone you never knew is pathetic

If you agree with this then kill yourself you fucking fedoralord
>>
>>61664493

Why are you even posting here if you never feel you can form a meaningful connection to music? I am genuinely curious.
>>
>went to Berlin a few months back
>stood at the remnants of the Wall
>kissed my wife

The feels man, Bowie was too good for this world. Yeah, I cried, he was amazing.
>>
People are brainwashed by media to believe their consumption and television idols are more important than people in real life.
>>
File: whathefuck.jpg (28 KB, 306x298) Image search: [Google]
whathefuck.jpg
28 KB, 306x298
>>61660074
>"HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME IM SO DIFERENT I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT BOWIE BEING DEAD LOOK AT ME IM ON THE EDGE"

Stop being retarded son, people feel connected to his music, and his music reflects what he is as a artist

You don't know that because you are probably one of those kids who listen to death grips and think you are hardcore and underground

Faggot
>>
>>61664482
I really hope it's the former, but it's probably the latter + Poe's Law at work.
>>
>>61664616
Meaningful connection to music =/= meaningful personal connection to its creator
>>
>>61664638
Nice false dilemma.
>>
I don't really get it, but then I think about how I'd feel if one of my favorite artists died and how crushing that'd be. Music is a form of communication, and even though it's a one-sided conversation, people feel like they know the musician on some level.
>>
If you can't understand the idea of your favorite artists' death causing you immense grief then you've never truly experienced music. There's listening to music and saying "yeah that sound nice, I like it" and there's a deeper, more personal connection that you only experience with your absolute favorite artists. And it's beautiful.

Bowie wasn't that for me, though I respect him a lot. But he was that for tonnes of other people and I sympathise with their sadness.

It's easier coasting through life being an apathetic autist tho, yeah
>>
>>61664667

But surely sometimes if the creator puts together such a powerful, varied and engaging discography over decades which resonates with you, you will start to feel some bond with them?
>>
>>61664741
Not apathetic and I love plenty of music. Many artists are so far removed from me that there is no way it would effect me beyond a "that's really sad". There is no way I would actually mourn them for long. I don't know them, and their removal from my life only means I don't get to enjoy more of their art. That's sad, but not worth bawling over.

Stop with the "real music fan" stuff. I'm not autistic, and I'm not apathetic.
>>
>>61664875
>not autistic
>not apathetic
>>
Bowie cared about me
>>
>>61664982
He knew my problems and sang about them. Anyone that says different wears a fedora and is autistic. And is psycho.
>>
>>61660422
because there will always be the edgy asshole who just wants to be different and a special snowflake
>>
>>61664309
Im surprised that there is actual people (autistic edgelords) who need this basic expresion of human bonding to be explain.

Good for you anon trying to get some sense on these idiots
>>
>>61666291>>61665880
>>
Because if they remember a time in their life when that person was on top of the world, and them dying means you're getting older and the world you lived in doesnt exist anymore.
>>
>>61667191
So basically man children?
>>
>>61660868
Bowie's existence is worth more than some countries

i would trade the entire mideast and africa to give him another 10 years
>>
>>61667370
Shitty pop songs? Nah. He was a mix of lady gaga and Katy Perry in a guy's shape.
>>
>>61667351
no
>>
>>61667370
Holy hyperbole, Batman!
>>
>>61667507
>mad sandnigger
Newsflash ahmed the womens studies major in ontario, people aren't equal.

Bowie was objectively superior on every level. A Nietzschean superman
>>
File: 1452543972775.jpg (160 KB, 606x300) Image search: [Google]
1452543972775.jpg
160 KB, 606x300
People like >>61667412 continue lying to themselves in a futile attempt to impress. It really boils down to impressing others, even if it is on an anonymous imageboard. Soon you realize that these self-proclaimed intellectuals truly have no taste. They cling on to the fringest of the fringe in hopes of distancing themselves from the popular centrifuge of art to portray themselves as patriciansâ„¢ to others. They never like the music they listen to, because it is only listened for the credibility of looking cultured to others. They are contrarians for the sake of being a contrarian.

Gamma Negative males who will never surpass their locked cages of plebitude. I end up feeling sorry for them because they never truly enjoy what they want to. They deny themselves pleasure in different crafts and art mediums because they need to maintain their title of taste within the social circle. They are nothing more but victims to their own arrogance.

I know there's a lot of people like you today who are salivating at this opportunity to whip out your sardonic and edgyâ„¢ criti/witti-cisms that you replicated off of your favorite Sam Hyde video (yes, that one open on your second tab) in hopes of getting a reaction to fuel your internet ego points, but I won't let you have that satisfaction today. I just won't, anon. I'm sure you understand.
>>
>>61667596
Sand niggers don't enjoy comic books or make references to them you stupid faggot. They scream snackbar instead. Move out of the parent's place and learn something.
>>
>>61667596
I mean, I'm African, but if that's how feel, sure.
>>
>>61667665
Triggered.
>>
>>61667665
u mad?
>>
>>61667733
>>61667720
Brilliant.
>>
>>61667665
So, today is your first day here. Have fun newfag, and stay away from a, b, and v.
>>
>>61667791
Did I hurt your feelings? It's okay, I can be hurt with you. I still love you, anon.
>>
>>61667665
>being this assblasted that people don't like his favorite pop musician
Bowie was an overrated hack who was more known for his wild appearance than his talent at composing or perfoming. He was a trendhopper who basically ripped off other shit that was going on around him and watered it down for a mainstream audience. His few good albums were collabs with more talented musicians like Eno.
>>
>>61667826
>i read scaruffi copypasta look how ahead of the curb I am
the irony is palpable desu

seriously, kick the stool beneath you you worthless cunt
>>
>>61667818
No I was being completely serious. Those boards aren't very accepting of newfags (as they're called).
>>
>>61667852
Desu? Go back to a and stay there weeb.
>>
File: 1429062520031.jpg (111 KB, 438x281) Image search: [Google]
1429062520031.jpg
111 KB, 438x281
>tfw got a little sad whenever a big celebrity died but it was never a big deal
>tfw hearing the news last night
>mfw after the initial shock

Normally I'd agree with OP but it was Bowie, man.
>>
>>61667852
What does Scaruffi have to do with this?
Anyone with more than two brain cells know that if Bowie was a genius of anything, it was of marketing
>>
>>61660074

>Why do people cry over pop stars dying?

This prog reviewer, explains why people cry over musicians etc dying and is specifically about Bowie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bSIYCa8U6w
>>
File: GOAT.gif (979 KB, 498x357) Image search: [Google]
GOAT.gif
979 KB, 498x357
>>61667826
I forgot that all critics are failed artists. It's okay anon, I know your soundcloud page is still up and running.
>>
>>61668029
I don't consider myself a music critic, but I'm honored that you do :^)
>>
>>61660868
>Millions of people die every day
ok
>>
>>61668029
A critic is anyone that had an opinion about a purchased product or service. Bitch or rave, it's the same thing. Go back to class summerlord.
>>
>>61664156
>>61664418

>someone saw David Bowie live in 1996
>therefore they're a rich twat who ruined music festivals.

I don't follow
>>
File: image.gif (67 KB, 700x946) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
67 KB, 700x946
>>61660074
Second to last panel, senpai
>>
>>61667998
That still doesn't disqualify him being a great music artist. All popular music artists of today would then be guilty of being famous due to marketing, no matter if they deny it like your precious Radiohead. It shows you're clutching at the ropes with a blank statement like that.
>>
>>61660868
>and you don't shed a tear for them
Because i dont fucking like them.
>>
>>61667791
>>61667917
The ironing.
>>
>>61668164
>That still doesn't disqualify him being a great music artist.
Where did I even imply that? I know that good musician and marketing genius aren't mutually exclusive things, but unfortunately your precious Bowie, and Radiohead for that matter, are only the latter.
>>
David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art.

All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena (just like Coca Cola and Barbie before them); however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one.

Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading).

Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music. Like it or not, deal with it.
>>
>>61668236
Kill yourself jealous yank
>>
>>61668286
>you're just jealous!!!

Literally youtube comment-tier post lol
>>
File: tumblr_lyha2e1ker1r2ah8no1_500.gif (498 KB, 499x234) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lyha2e1ker1r2ah8no1_500.gif
498 KB, 499x234
>>61660074
It's almost as if music is a personal and emotional experience!
>>
>>61668286
Why the fuck are Bowie fans so needlessly defensive?
>>
>>61668398
>Why the fuck are fans so needlessly defensive?
ftfy
>>
>>61660074
David Bowie was an artistic gadfly, if Socrates' term could be used like that. By challenging the artistic and aesthetic status quo he caused the entire mainstream culture to pivot and progress towards the direction he was proposing. That being said very few people, if not only one, as influential as Bowie exist at a given time within a society. Think of him as the Nikola Tesla or Leonardo Da VInci of 20th century pop culture.
He was trully an exceptional man, literally one in a billion.
>>
>>61668869
lol
>>
>>61669213
it's true though
>>
>>61669320
lol
>>
>>61668398
hes dead jim
Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.