[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say this album had been overproduced like Nevermind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
Let's say this album had been overproduced like Nevermind to make it accessible to normies, could it have exploded? Imo this album has better hooks and some songs are catchy af

>DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL AIN'T A GIRL NO MORE
>>
BIG CHEESE
MAKE ME
>>
Possibly. It probably would've had a later-Soundgardeny feel to it. It would've been something really different.
>>
YOU'RE IN HIGH SCHOOL AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NO RECESSS NO RECEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYUUUUUUUS
>>
>>61660016
I doubt it, based on my knowledge it's not like Sub Pop promoted it that much back when it was first released. I can imagine it being an "underground hit," if anything
>>
>>61660016
Nah, it's a lot more abrasive and dissonant.
>>
>>61660016
coming from a massive nirvana fan, the songs are just not as well written. i mean about a girl is a fucking classic, but compare it to lithium for example, its just on another level.
not to mention the whole album is really fucking grunge, nevermind and in utero are hardly grunge, appealing to normies much more.
>>
>>61660160
I mean if it had the same promotion as Nevermind and was released at the same time, everything the same as Nevermind (except the songs obviously).

>>61660165
It wouldn't be abrasive with Nevermind production
>>
>>61660231
in utero got dangerously close to noise rock at times, you gotta admit
>>
>>61660231
In Utero had some very mass market tracks, but it had its moments showing that Kurt kinda wanted to get back to the harder stuff and stop being a phony.

I Know You're Right was a decent taste of things to come.
>>
>>61660275
>Paper Cuts
>Endless Nameless

those are pure noise rock family
>>
>>61660413
I never said that Bleach wasn't noise rock, just meant to say that In Utero was pretty fucked for mainstream grunge standards
>>
I guess for some songs like 'Aneurysm' overproduction could've made them into normie hits but overall I don't think the album could've been changed for mainstream appeal at that time
>>
>>61660016
>DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL AIN'T A GIRL NO MORE
What I actually like the most about that album is the guitar.
It's particularly good in that song imo.

Also, that is a normie album.
>>
no

nirvana was a shitty grunge band but a god-tier alt rock band
>>
File: cover.jpg (5 KB, 130x130) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
5 KB, 130x130
>>61660101
>yeah, I'll just play my favourite /mu/ core.
>much better
>so deep
>>
The drummer was shit, he had absolutely no power and could barely keep rhythm.
>>
>>61660460
Well Endless Nameless was on Nevermind but I suppose it hardly counts since it was le epic hidden track
>>
>>61660686
>>61660231
These. Different production can't fix these conundrums
>>
>>61660501
Wasn't Aneurysm a B-Side from Nevermind though?

I feel like that song had a lot of potential but Kurt couldn't fully work it out, probably would have made it's way onto a later album, same with Old Age and some other gems.
>>
>>61660569
name a better grunge band that isn't early Melvins

>>61660686
>talking shit about based Chad Charming
go to bed, Dave
>>
>>61660016
The compositions probably wouldn't work in most cases. A lot of them are pretty simple harmonically and melodically and rely a lot on the lo-fi production, distorted guitars and Kurt's aggressive vocal delivery to make them compelling.
You'd need to rearrange the songs, maybe add extra sections or shorten some, more overdubbing, maybe a few extra melody or harmony lines, etc.
If it was gonna be done right, it'd be a drastically different album and if you compared it to the actual Bleach stuff, they'd look more like rough demo sketches and saying they were the same album would be weird.
Whether it'd be successful or not would depend on how good a job the producer did and how good Kurt's performances on it were. It's a better album as it is though.
>>
Overproduced? Nevermind rocketed because of its perfect blending of melodic tunes and grunge essence, production had little to do with that
>>
>>61661069
>A lot of them are pretty simple harmonically and melodically
you mean like every song on Nevermind?
>>
>nirvana
>grunge
>not just a punk band from seattle

seriously guys, look at kurt kobain's favorite records and it's mostly punk bands like pixies, scratch acid, flipper, sonic youth, etc. not a single metal group on there, metal being an essential influence in grunge.
>>
>>61661324
his favourite band was the Melvins (the same band that pretty much invented Sludge Metal)
>>
>>61661324
Nirvana are awful, and by far the worst of the big 4 of grunge, but they /are/ grunge.
>>
>>61661517
you have bad taste
>>
>>61661284
Yeah. But even more so.
On Nevermind, the melodies are much prettier and work nicely with the chords and the pieces are more complex. It's very easy to do a stripped back piano/guitar and vocals cover of a song like Lithium because the composition has more to it than say Negative Creep. Which is a good song, but mostly because Kurt fucking rips his throat apart singing it.
>>
>>61661472
>>61661324
In my teenager years i used to listen punk music and metal almost at the same level, and many of my friends were metalheads or punk rockers. When you're a teenager and you hang out with your friends and go to concerts you don't really stick to one single genre, and there are friendly people from many backgrounds, plus many metal bands play with punk bands and viceversa, it's not hard to find a mixed audience where punk rockers and metalheads get along, tastes are pretty similar, loud music, lots of beer, no one cares about the looks, both have a nihilistic way of living.
>>
Nevermind = Bleach > Incesticide > In Utero
>>
File: 61uZcyu+FtL.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
61uZcyu+FtL.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
this is only good grunge album and it isn't even that grunge
>>
>>61663092
literally isn't grunge, but yeah better than any grunge album, except maybe Ozma and Bleach
>>
>>61663171
it could be called 'proto-grunge'
>>
>>61663246
it isn't even really proto-grunge, it had a bigger influence on shoegaze than grunge

proto-grunge would be stuff like Wipers
>>
IS THERE
>>
>>61660336
>I Know You're Right was a decent taste of things to come.
Written during the same time period as nevermind
>>
>>61664805
and its You know you're right obviously
>>
>>61664805

Also titled "You* Know You're Right", friggin dinguses.
>>
>>61664805
>Written during the same time period as nevermind
not true
>>
>>61660686
t. Dave
>>
>>61660336
>I Know You're Right was a decent taste of things to come.
also Do Re Mi, next album would have been GOAT

sucks he was murdered :(
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.