[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Earlier I was listening to some FlyLo when I realized how fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: newsom.jpg (70 KB, 640x481) Image search: [Google]
newsom.jpg
70 KB, 640x481
Earlier I was listening to some FlyLo when I realized how fucking horrible his mixing is. He has no idea how to layer the sounds he records which really threw me off as I listened.

So I'm curious /mu/, who are some artists who actually know how to mix their albums?

At the very least I know pic related does, the mixing on her albums is incredible which is important for an artist with such a large focus on layering various instruments.
>>
bump? I mean it's kind of annoying that actual music discussion threads like this are getting pushed down while you guys bump meme threads
>>
File: lZY9kizh_400x400.png (287 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
lZY9kizh_400x400.png
287 KB, 400x400
>>61625718
>>61625604
eat a dick you retard this isn't a music discussion board its a Taiwanese back waxing forum
>>
>>61625772
fuck off flylo
>>
i think his mixing sounds alri

maybe your just deaf op
>>
>>61625604
tbqf his extreme compression/clipping bothers me more than the layering but I see what you mean. FlyLo's got some good ideas but the way he handles them can be very amateurish at times.
>>
>>61625604
Jim O'Rourke
Pantha du Prince
Boards of Canada
>>
I know what you mean, OP. I find myself thinking about things like this as well when I listen to music anymore. Like, if you listen to enough stuff, after a while you start getting critical about how one instrument is recorded too loud, or wishing that a certain piano hook was given more attention since it would make the song better, weird little things like that.

I'm finding it hard to come up with concrete examples, though.
>>
yeah Cosmogramma is nearly unlistenable due to being so fucking shrill and brickwalled
>>
Why is FlyLo bad at mixing? I rather like him even though he jumps a lot between motifs
>>
>>61625604
yeah shit like that turned me off to him. can't stand his music now. irritates me
>>
He's always been really fucking terrible.

GOOD MIXING: Iglooghost, Boots, FKA Twigs, Arca, H2OSports, Animal Collective (not floridada, though. idk what's wrong with that track but i'm pretty sure they equalized it with their dick), Burial, etc etc
>>
>FKA Twigs
>Arca

You can just say Arca, no need to go giving credit where it isn't due.
>>
>>61626444
that's what I love about it.
to each his own
>>
Radiohead and anything Nigel Godrich touches
>>
>>61628322
fuuuuck off with your shitty artists
>>
>>61625718
>>61625772
>>61625783
lmao this
>>
>>61625901
I thought the mixing was iffy on Jim O'Rourke's last LP. I get that it was a stylistic choice but still
>>
>>61628301
This.

The way that flylo composes music reminds me of 70s rock band recordings. Just jamming out and having fun.

How fucking autistic are you faggots to only like something 100% perfect when in the realm of music you can express yourself however you please.
>>
>>61628794
fuck off flyo
take a class on mixing
>>
>>61628866
>take a class on mixing
ugh

hate this attitude
hate hip hop for falling for all this shit a few years ago as well

ced gee's beats were never pro sounding but he was harder, fresher and better than everyone else at the time
precisely because he wasn't hemmed in like an obedient pandering zombie
>>
>>61628866
Shut the fuck up you soundcloud culture shit head.
>>
>>61628957
truth hurts ?
take some lessons from clarkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKYrwuxLZtY
>>
>>61628794
some people don't like some things, there's nothing to get upset about
>>
>>61628266
the mixing is still really good on her music though, shut the fuck up
>>
>>61628794
the problem has nothing to do with the way the songs are composed (which i like). it's the ridiculous amount of dynamic compression that he puts on it which makes the treble way too harsh
>>
>>61629042
i think arca is way worse for this desu
i can't even listen to mutant, it's like he's tried to make up for boring synths by putting 50 aural exciters on everything
>>
>>61629076
nah your ears are fucked. go clean them
>>
>>61629109
it literally hurts to listen to
>>
Newsom doesn't mix her own stuff, she gets a man to do it.
>>
You abject retards do realize that mixing is done by a mastering house and the artist had literally not one goddamn thing to do with it, right?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.