[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do some albums really need "multiple listens" to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1432456724250.png (137 KB, 375x360) Image search: [Google]
1432456724250.png
137 KB, 375x360
Do some albums really need "multiple listens" to get into? Isn't that kinda counter intuitive?
>>
yes. centipede hz is one of them
>>
what does 'get into' mean
>>
>>61604199
like, fuck
>>
depends on
>your mood and general personality
>familiarity with the artist/album/genre
>length, complexity or density of the music
>any prejudices for/against the artist/album/genre you may have
>>
whos this qt
>>
>>61604162
counterintuitive as in all 'good' art should be completely understood and digested upon encountering it for the first time?
no, it is not counterintuitive.
>>
>>61604162

Yes, couldn't get into death grips or madvillainy first listen, so it's a good thing I actually gave them a chance ya feel me?
>>
Idk some albums require context to really enjoy and some need a 'birds eye view' but I feel like you could get that with 2 listens max and some research
>>
>>61604506
definitely this

One time, all I had to listen to for five day straight was MGMT - Congratulations. Long story, but I didn't like it that much at first. It's now one of my favorite indie pop albums.
>>
what japanimation is that
>>
>>61604610
>>61604519

hey retards, if you click the thing that says google above the picture it ACTUALLY searches the picture on google for you and tells you where its from! Hope I could help!

:)
>>
>>61604710
thanks 4 tha tip
>>
>>61604726

no problem... now let me show you another tip

*unzips tip*
>>
>>61604162
you ever though that it took like.. 100-500 listens from the producers to get into it?
>>
>>61604762
It must not even sound like music at that point, especially when they have to listen to a song/album over and over again. When listening for enjoyment, I can step away for as long as I want and come back.
>>
>>61604162
counter intuitive what kinda millenial nonsense is this
>>
>>61604162
read
>>61604506
You can also add to appreciate the instrumentality. However, I think that falls under complexity and density. For example got done with Blackstar and The Man Who Sold The World for the 5th time. I wouldn't had appreciate all those rifts of the guitars, the drumming, the saxophones jamming, and the synthesizers on my first listen. It took me some time to incubate. The Man Who Sold The World has some excellent guitars.
>>
>>61604162
Not for metal.
>>
File: 1452214776812.png (298 KB, 465x351) Image search: [Google]
1452214776812.png
298 KB, 465x351
I find that albums I really like during the first few listens are the ones that get boring to me later, while the ones that are hard for me to get into I never get tired of afterwards
>>
>>61605528
I never knew the problem with this image until now
>>
a big part of enjoying music is being able to predict where the music is going which is why rhythm and structure is so important

an album that doesn't follow conventions might feel odd on first listen, but once you get more familiar with it, you start to enjoy it more when know what's coming
>>
>>61604162
Consider the following: You're not entitled to anything.
Mostly when I experienced what you said, I was probably sitting somewhere and started thinking about some music I might not have liked before, and thought " oh so that's why " THEN i listened to it again.
You don't have to listen the to same album for hours dummy.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.