[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else noticing a massive decline in the quality of /mu/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 6
File: 1452215193994.jpg (50 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1452215193994.jpg
50 KB, 500x375
Anyone else noticing a massive decline in the quality of /mu/ posts?

What the fuck has happened to this board?
>>
My fault. sorry.
>>
File: fucking kill me.jpg (4 KB, 107x110) Image search: [Google]
fucking kill me.jpg
4 KB, 107x110
>>61587975
memes happened
>>
*holds up spork*

baka kek desu senpa

LMAO

>implying

faggot pleb kys
>>
you were born in the wrong generation
>>
I've never seen anyone complaining about declining quality posts on /mu before, and I've been here since summer.

There might be something to this.
>>
>>61587975
Kids decided to start posting on a website for adults.
>>
>>61588162
this
>>
>>61588162
I blame the Lemmy sticky for this.
>>
majority of /mu/ are <18 high schoolers trying to fit in somewhere because they don't irl so they come here and repost memes, including mememusic, for approval
>>
>>61587975

It's the easiest board to get (you)s so people bait a lot more. You can criticize any band and get 5 people attacking you. Try it, go into any Kanye thread and tell them how you think his music is bad and you will see what I mean.

Another thing is there is no such thing as discovering new music on this board. Every thread is the same albums, every last.fm/RYM thread people listen to the same exact shit. For example shoegaze, EVERY thread is the same albums (Loveless, Souvlaki, Nowhere).. I mean what the fuck there are thousands of bands.
>>
>>61587975
>Anyone else a massive decline in the quality of /mu/ posts?
since when?
I came back to 4chan in August after several months of abstinence and was shit already, and I can't say for sure that it wasn't shit before.
>>
>>61588204
/mu/ has been gotten exponentially shittier starting in spring
>>
I have a friend who used to get with mu something like a year or two ago, and he told me mu used to be one of the gayest, most sjw-friendly boards, and actually pretty good for discussion that didnt routinely get derailed by shitflinging. Something of a diamond in the rough or at least anomaly on 4chan.

[Spoiler]I ask you- when they came for the faggots, did any of you speak for them?[/spoiler]
>>
>>61587975
I don't come here very often anymore but I can only imagine how shit it must be now if a newfag like you is saying this
>>
>>61587975
It's called growing up, Congrats pal,
>>
>>61588476
try 2013
>>
i've posted here for several years on and off
it was ALWAYS shit
at least mods occasionally delete off-topic threads now
>>
It doesn't seem too much worse since summer 2011 so I think it has always sucked
>>
>>61588093
>I've been here since summer

This summer was /mu/'s low point so far.
Now you can kinda tippy toe around the shitty threads again, back in summer it was literally shit threads covering the catalog.
>>
File: 1412496109783.jpg (44 KB, 498x301) Image search: [Google]
1412496109783.jpg
44 KB, 498x301
despite popular memes, /mu/ has always been shit
>>
>>61587975
death grips made us more nihilistic so now we can't be fucked typing smart shit because like whatever man
>>
>>61588571
This, /mu/ is one of the most cylical boards I've come across. If you post for more than a year you'll grow weary. The true nadir was 2012 though, be glad you were not around for that.
>>
>>61587975
Winter break
>>
I've been a regular poster on /mu/ since 2011. This board has always been shit, but if you dug deep you could find some gems on /mu/ in share threads and listen threads.

Now there is still plenty of shit, but no gems. I haven't found any new music from this board in a good year. I haven't participated or witnessed any quality or intelligible discussion for a good long while here as well.
>>
>>61588476
I got here in spring.

Sorry guys I think it was my fault.
>>
>>61588640
the /general/ (minus guitar general) threads are the only things that approach legit music discussion here
>>
Is there even a way to say how their new album sucks? Their old one was way better. Also, they always sucked. Implying classical music gets you girls. Implying popular music is worth a damn. That feel when listening to this band! They express my feelings so well. Lol whining kid, go kill yourself. /mu/ sucks. Anyone else noticing a massive decline in the quality of /mu/ posts? 3x3 indie edition. Metal <> Metal. As if band x would ever y.
>>
>>61587975
I came back after 1 year off, so maybe it was me, I've been shitposting like a motherfucker
>>
>>61588720
damn...
>>
>>61588720
check this guy out he's real angry
>>
>>61588476
2014 was worse than 2015 discussionn wise except for weebteam
>>
the first time I came to this board was the most magical experience of my life idk. I remember a new of Montreal album came out and people were discussing it and actually discussing it and the post an artist's best album threads. I remember zooming it to read the titles and being so excited like... Wow. These people are cool. They know everything.

This board is a lot better when you don't know anything.
>>
>>61587975
Idk from the time I've been here it seems like there's sort of an ebb and flow of cancer, it's never been amazing. i first started frequenting /mu/ in summer 2013 when there was fucking lauren threads everywhere.
>>
>>61587975
I've noticed us too. Maybe it has to do with us getting older, and the better adjusted of us moving on to better things, while those of us who've stayed behind are now left to deal with all this shit. But yeah, it's noticeably bad here lately, I've noticed too.
>>
File: 1398710777347.jpg (64 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1398710777347.jpg
64 KB, 604x604
4chan weebs can shit on reddit all they want, none of the somewhat popular subreddits allow this type of shitty memeposting to dominate the discussion, even if you sort by new.
>>
Louis Theroux is my dad
>>
>>61589123
Gb2 reddit
>>
>>61589255
I have two tabs open you internet amateur
>>
Once you'll see these typical albums keep coming up (Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion, Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly, Neutral Milk Hotel's In An Aeroplane Over The Sea) It tells you that there is no REAL diversity and creative though. People have to go out of their comfort zones so they can challenge the ideas of the modern world of today. I listen to older music because I wanted to discover the origins of sounds, the ideas it expressed at the time, and how it has impacted a generation. A lot of great musicians today take old songs and find ways to create new ones and it's been going on for years but we have to challenge the creative process so people can construct a new product. I like The Velvet Underground because they've set the blue print for a creative rock music formula. I like The Beat Happening because it set the blueprint for recording music with what you've got. I like Steve Reich because you don't have to compose something complicated but make simple loops but make each one different and layer it over (Minimalism). I can go on with bands and ideas but trying to make the point of furthering the artist's construct of thought and ability can make them become leaders. The /mu/ music chart threads helped me further myself from these charts as if it was homework from a university, a library perhaps. People should argue because if we don't, everyone will end up silenced and ideas won't be furthered. Keep the music alive, go to concerts, go to record stores, go to house parties with musicians from the artsy side of the downtown metro area in the cities, go to festivals, create record albums, support local bands, just get out there. Anyways, I'm going to listen to more of Jennifer Herrema's work.
>>
>>61587975
I came back to this board after a long time.
I remember this board circa 2009.
>no production general
>no musician/instrument generals
>no classical/jazz generals
>no intimidating /daily/ threads with some of the most sophisticated music you'll ever hear
>no soundcloud/bandcamp generals

I don't even think last.fm was a thing yet. As I recall, it was mostly about pitchfork and mediafire shares (and memes, of course).
>>
>>61587975
/mu/ has always been in a decline but after 2012 it took a swift nosedive into a shit pile

Mostly because the decent trips left and people from Reddit finding out about /mu/ on Reddit.

Also, reminder that you'll never get to call Kitty Pryde on her personal number again, Dan Barrett will never post here again, artists will never give a shout out to /mu/ again, and /mu/ will dry up and die.
>>
>>61588926
pretty much this man, once you're no longer a newfag this board starts to suck
>>
>>61589637
this, also more tripfag circlejerking, endless /soc/posting and feelsposting, and like 5 threads about ITAOTS at any given time

sharethreads were great and every second post didn't contain the word "meme", but in general, neo-/mu/ is a bit better
>>
>>61588027
kek
>>
/mu/ started to go downhill back in 2013 when the "blur are shite" meme was in full force
>>
the question is, what can we do to fix it?
>>
>>61590584
bring back alice threads, obviously
>>
>>61590584
Have actual music discussion. Ignore the meme artists.
>>
>>61590694
thats the thing though, i post almost every day in several threads just saying my opinion or experience with the band/artist in question and nobody ever replies
>>
>>61588206
> this is the only true answer
>>
>>61590759
This tbqh
>>
this thread is boring but the guy in the op is bretty cute who is that post more pics
>>
>>61590931
You are the problem
>>
>>61590954

i'm not sure what you guys expect from this thread? it's not like everyone is just gonna go "oh wow! so true! lets all stop shitposting!" uhhh this thread is gonna die n then /mu/ is gonna go back to normal? this is stupid/pointless
>>
>>61591005
>back to normal

if only
>>
>>61590872
Im literally doing it right now and nobody cares. All I want to do all day is talk in depth about either music or films and I never have anybody to talk to in length about those subjects. I'm yet to find a service on the internet where i can without the bullshit. I feel like it shouldnt be so hard to just be able to about music with people but I havent had a good conversation since I was doing Alevels and studied along side a god-like guitarist. Adulthood is actually shite
>>
lurkers got confidence and posted their drivel... now it's all drivel

i remember in 2011 i would post a comment and i was ostracised due to my pleb statements. its 2016, and i'm up there with the patricians in terms of knowledge, even though i know fuck all.
>>
>>61589255
This type of mentality is awful, nobody should have a superiority complex over a website as awful as 4chan. /r/letstalkmusic can have more discussion in one thread on one topic than this entire board's currently given catalog.
>>
Aaron and his friends.
>>
>>61591156
>posted my top albums when I first started browsing in '10
>got shit on for having /mu/core albums in there

Those were the good old days
>>
>>61587975
Talking about music is hard when you lack the vocabulary.

Very little exciting, high-profile, good music has been coming out lately, so there just isn't that much to talk about that hasn't been talked to death before.
>>
this thread sure is helping, sageru
>>
>>61588162
>implying you aren't 22
>>
memerap
>>
>>61591366
It's better than the many Kanye threads.
>>
I've noticed in the past year, or maybe longer, I'm bad with time, there's been an increase in people who whine about how 'music taste is subjective'.

like we didn't already know that?

so that might have something to do with it.
>>
>tfw wank so much I have disproportionately muscular arms
>>
File: 1445143107093.png (26 KB, 889x737) Image search: [Google]
1445143107093.png
26 KB, 889x737
I cannot believe this. This board has a severe problem with underage & musically inept users.

There are people on this board RIGHT NOW who don't think Future uses autotune (see >>61503496). Hell, there are people on this board who think his music's good.

There are people on this board RIGHT NOW who haven't listened to music made before the 1990s. And then there's their opposite, the redditors who were born in the wrong generation and cannot accept artistic merit in any modern music.

There are people on this board RIGHT NOW who aren't old enough to remember what word filters are (see >>61492769 and >>61493015)

Something has to be done.
>>
>>61592755
>There are people on this board RIGHT NOW who aren't old enough to remember what word filters are
these examples are the ones actually blowing me away
>I think I've spent enough time here
Jesus christ.
>>
>>61592755
jesus christ
>>
>>61592755
>Is this a temporary joke or has this site really gone full weeb

holy fuck
>>
/mu/ is the children of tumblr, /r/music and fans of fantano
>>
>>61590485
you're kidding yourself if you actually think this board is better now than it was in 2009
>>
best year for /mu/ was 2011
>>
over moderation
>>
>>61587975
ij remember making these sort of meta threads 2-3 years ago

then i remembered trolling and saying it was sharethreads and spoonfeeding that is leading this place on a downward spiral. this was when sharethreads were deleted often..
>>
/mu/ is ruined, I think the decline of music honestly.
>>
File: Elizabeth Singleton.jpg (27 KB, 598x443) Image search: [Google]
Elizabeth Singleton.jpg
27 KB, 598x443
One time, within the past year, there was a really fun thread full of memes and shit. It got really huge and everybody had tons of fun in it. The theory that came about after that was that, like how we have containment boards for ponies etc., we should make a regular containment thread for memers. It could function as a sort of /trash/ in that, if someone posts an off-topic thread, didn't check the catalogue, or is memeing without contributing to the community, they get reported, and directed by a kind soul to the containment thread.
We probably couldn't get enough people on board with this to get it to work though.
>>
>>61589637
>no production general
>no musician/instrument generals
>no soundcloud/bandcamp generals
We didn't have generals no, we just had regular threads
2009 had classical threads and classical trips

>no intimidating /daily/ threads with some of the most sophisticated music you'll ever hear
ahahahahaha

>I don't even think last.fm was a thing yet
Except we even had a script made specifically for them back then

>>61590485
>also more tripfag circlejerking, endless /soc/posting and feelsposting
Like 70% of the threads on this board at any given time today aren't just as bad
>>
The question is: where does one go after /mu/? I've been searching for years for some kind of universal music board which isn't dominated by hipster culture and people under 20 posting dank memes and the closest I've gotten is Steve Hoffman where the average age is like 40 and they all discuss the latest Stones remasters.
>>
>captcha says select all pies
>don't
>>
>>61597351
Do what Hampus did, become a prostitute
>>
>>61587975
American revisionism

The only good American band was the beach boys but yank scum can't handle that the British created rock music so they drag out all kinds of meme bands like Captain Trout and pretend they're good
>>
>>61597351
There isn't anywhere, thats the problem.

If you actually want to discuss music you need to stick to genre specific forums really.

There have been spin off boards on other chans, even a whole chan made for exodus but it become a carbon copy of here just with less posters.

You're best bet is sticking to /generals/ and hoping they are half decent and staying off the main board.
>>
>>61597406
Do you think if someone made a speciality anonymous forum and moderated it heavily it'd ever take off?
>>
>>61588206
let them
>>
>>61597512
No because its been tried, more than once.

Just go look at Musikchan.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.