[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long till /mu/ starts hating him
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 7
File: bowie.jpg (247 KB, 1512x1512) Image search: [Google]
bowie.jpg
247 KB, 1512x1512
How long till /mu/ starts hating him
>>
I suspect once Fandingo reviews him positively he'll become not-cool-anymore here.
>>
>>61585780
I'll never hate the guy who lived off cocaine, milk and red peppers.

He's just too goddamn based.
>>
Once he gets called out for slut shaming
>>
Never because he doesn't make meme music like all the flavour of the month shit /mu/ likes
>>
>>61585808
Fandango has that sort of power over small indie bands, but Bowie is impervious
>>
>>61585833
That would make /mu/ like him more
>>
>>61585833
What a pity
>>
>>61585780
He's the most based musician ever. Next to Bach.
>>
>>61585831
I like him a lot man, but /mu/ has this tendency to praise an artist to an extreme amount and then start calling him shit, a meme, and entry level hipster garbage, and lately half the posts in the catalogue are kissing Bowie's ass
>>
>>61585929
>lately half the posts in the catalogue are kissing Bowie's ass
Blackstar just got released dude
>>
>>61585953
it's been like this for a few months, maybe more now because of Blackstar, but /mu/ has had a huge boner for him for a while now
>>
>>61585929
I'm not trying to kiss his ass. But what I really do respect about him is doing those weird things in the late 70's and working with Fripp and Eno to do those odd experiments and help popularize some of the techniques that he was using in those pop songs.
>>
>>61586020
Oh don't get me wrong, Bowie is great, definitely one of the greatest artists, that was more of a jab towards /mu/ rather than Bowie.
>>
>>61585780
He seems kind of overrated. Out of 26 studio albums only like 10 are listenable front to back.
Blackstar's pretty cool though
>>
>>61585852
This,
/mu/ only starts to hate artists once /mu/ circlejerks them so hard that they begin to sound like reddit.
I'll give it a couple more weeks, end of january, beginning of February.
>>
you've got to like bowie bro
>>
>>61586068
I know m8. I totally understand /mu/ hating average dadrock shit artists but sometimes they just hate shit because it's old.
>>
/mu/ will never hate Bowie
>>61586092
yeah but the good albums are goddamn amazing
jesus, only on /mu/ do you see people panning an artist for being prolific
>>
>>61586092
Well every single one has fans except Never let me down, it lets people down every time
>>
>>61586098
Idk if you are aware of this but both places listen to a lot of the same bands
>>
>>61585780
reddit has always liked him so we've never liked him
>>61585808
he's always been not-cool-anymore here
>>
>>61586143
I'm not talking about their music taste, rather there ability to circlejerk an artists without providing any actual criticism.
>>
>>61586130
>Well every single one has fans except Never let me down
>bangers on Never Let Me Down:
>Day In Day Out
>Time Will Crawl
>Glass Spider
>Shining Star
>Bang Bang
>>
David Bowie turned marketing into the essence of his art. All great phenomena of popular music, from Elvis Presley to the Beatles, had been, first and foremost, marketing phenomena, however, Bowie turned that into an art of its own. With Bowie the science of marketing becomes art; art and marketing become one. There were intellectuals who had proclaimed this theory in rebellious terms. Bowie was, in many ways, the heir, no matter how perverted, of Andy Warhol's pop art and of the underground culture of the 1960s. He adopted some of the most blaspheme issues and turned them upside down to make them precisely what they had been designed to fight: a commodity. Bowie was a protagonist of his times, although a poor musician: to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading). Bowie embodies the quintessence of artificial art, raises futulity to paradigm, focuses on the phenomenon rather than the content, makes irrelevant the relevant, and, thus, is the epitome of everything that went wrong with rock music. Each element of his art is the emblem of a true artistic movement however, the ensemble of those emblems constitutes no more than a puzzle, no matter how intriguing, of symbols, a roll of incoherent images projected against the wall at twice the speed, a dictionary of terms rather than a poem, and, in the best of hypotheses, a documentary of the cultural fads of his era. Reading the chronicles of his times, it is clear that what caused sensation was the show, not the music. The show that Bowie set up was undoubtedly in sync with the avantgarde, as it fused theater, mime, cinema, visual art, literature and music. However, Bowie merely recycled what had been going on for years in the British underground, in particular what had been popularized by the psychedelic bands of 1967. And he turned it into a commodity: whichever way you look at his oeuvre, this is the real merit of it.
>>
>>61586186
best part is I think Scaruffi will give Blackstar 7.5/10 because it fits all his arbitrary objectivities for whether an album is "buyable" or not
>>
>>61585879
'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore
>>
>>61585995
Maybe....

He's just good? Did that ever occur to you?
>>
>>61586217
i will literally give you $10,000 if he gives it anything above a 6/10
>>
>>61586234
Yes, I really like his music
>>
>>61586242
neat, I look forward to it
>>
>>61586186
I just knew that was Scaruffi the edgemaster before even googling that. And then he goes on to argue that Bowies best work was in the 90's, lmfao.
>>
>>61586186
Let's be honest, if Bowie was a black man, Scaruffi would be slobbering on his dick
>>
>>61586275
low is the only good david bowie album
>>61586301
every musician on his top 25 rock albums of all time list is white
>>
File: ryangosling.jpg (15 KB, 238x279) Image search: [Google]
ryangosling.jpg
15 KB, 238x279
>>61586346
>low is the only good david bowie album
>>
>>61585808
>implying he won't give it a 5 because fuck you
>>
>>61585780
They already are. Go into any of the long-running Bowie/Blackstar threads in the archives and check out all the anti-Bowie shitposting.
>>
>>61586346
*low and station to station are the only good david bowie albums
fixed
>>
>>61586642
>>61586346
reddit out
>>
>>61586642
KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUUUUT
>>
>>61586690
YOU'RE SQUAKING LIKE A PIG MONKEY BIRD
>>
>>61586092
Wait
>The Man who Sold the World
>Hunky Dory
>Ziggy Stardust
>Aladdin Sane
>Diamond Dogs
>Station to Station
>Low
>Heroes
>Scary Monsters
>Blackstar
Shit, you're right
>>
>>61588585
Let's Dance has like two weak tracks, but it's still a great album
>>
>>61588661
To be honest I would have included Let's Dance (it's got some of the greatest singles of all time on it even if the non-singles are pretty week, sorta like Thriller) but I don't wanna seem like I like pop like some kind of pleb.
>>
>>61588585
But who else has 10 albums you can listen to from front to back?
>>
>>61589667
True familia baka at these haters
>>
>>61588585
Shit man, the next day was so fucking good!
>>
>>61587453
I be a ROCKIN ROLLIN BITCH FOR YUUUU
>>
>>61585780
now. fuck david bowie. literally spork kore
>>
>>61586129
bowie made a bunch of shit albums and his discography will be forever flawed. take out of that what you will, dickrider.
>>
File: fedora 1.jpg (4 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
fedora 1.jpg
4 KB, 200x250
>>61585780
Soon
/mu/ will start to use the dad rock meme to justify their hatred towards him.
>>
If you don't have one Bowie album in your all-time favourite list, you just don't like music. This is a fact, no need to feel bad or get mad. Just recognize it and find another interest which you do like, everyone will be much happier.
>>
>>61585780
>le /mu/ hivemind meme
>>61589667
Enslaved
Swans
Herbie Hancock
>>61592335
You sound like you either like Bowie too much or have not listened to enough music.
>>
>>61592446

You sound like the kind of fag who cares what other people think about his music taste. I put it to you that any act you like would be a fan of Bowie, I guarantee Swans members are. And they would slap your shit for being such a faggot pleb.
>>
File: 845.jpg (14 KB, 428x324) Image search: [Google]
845.jpg
14 KB, 428x324
>>61590723
>unironically using spork meme
>>
>>61592446

Oh wow what a tryhard you are kid.
>>
>>61585848
Shut the damn hell up.

>>61585780
I liked his new album even though I don't listen to him much.
>>
>>61592446
sounds like you haven't listened to enough bowie _tbh_
>>
>>61586130

Shut the fuck up, I love that album and it's Bowie's second biggest seller of all time. The accompanying tour redefined live performance and the only people who were butthurt about it were critic shitlords butthurt that the didn't fart out Low#6.
>>
>>61588788

I don't think Let's Dance has any weak song on it.
>>
>>61585780
Depends. P4k gave blackstar a 8.5 so everyone will praise it. However, if baldy gives it anything above a light 7, everyone will hate on it. This is how mu works
>>
>>61592783

Nobody cares about Bowie scores, because everybody loves Bowie except for contrarian edgelords. And who cares what those fags think.
>>
>>61589667
Frank Zappa
>>
>>61586092
>only 10
thats a lot yo
>>
>>61592898
>contrarian edgelords
Are you seeing how many buzzwords you can fit in one single post?

I like Bowie, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to
>>
>>61593299

>contrarian
>buzzword

Is this truly the state of today's education system?
>>
>>61593521
Buzzword or not, it's ridiculous how people here constantly chalk up disliking something or having a negative opinion on something that has mass appeal to "being contrarian".

>"Oh, you don't like this thing that the majority of people like? You're just being contrarian!"

This isn't even close to being a good argument. People have different opinions on things, especially things like music. Claiming that 4chan just tries to be "contrarian" is a shitty argument, because then people could just as easily argue that you're just trying to agree with the masses.

Oh you LIKE Bowie? Well you just like him because everyone else likes him. See? That's a stupid, pointless shitty argument.

I enjoy /mu/ because people offer different points of views on artists and bands that you're not going to see expressed on other websites where people are afraid for whatever dumb reason to go against the masses and form negative opinions on popular things.
>>
Never. He's the God king
>>
>>61593216
Please give me the guidance on how to start liking the guy.
>>
>>61593216
I'm pretty sure I can listen to all of his albums front to back in one sitting.
>>
>>61593774
Start with his mid or late 70s comedy rock and work your way back, and then go 80s and forward. It's easier to digest that stuff than his experimental stuff. Especially if you like classic rock already. Apostrophe and Sheik Yerbouti are good places to start.
>>
>>61593766
>>61593811
Commented on the wrong post, sorry.
>>
>>61585833
WHAT A PITY SHE WA- *coughs up phelgm mid-word* A WH-WHORE

seriously, why did they keep that take in, was that the best they could get out of him?
>>
>>61593634
>Claiming that 4chan just tries to be "contrarian" is a shitty argument

Nice try at implying that contrarian opinion of Bowie is the 4chan norm and not the edge-case. Aside from the disingenuous scare-quotes, contrarian is a salient description of the edgelord kids who come into a music discussion to state nothing more than it's shit. The contrarian edgelord doesn't even attempt to state a subjective opinion, but to state as objective fact that they don't like something therefore it is shit and everyone who likes it is retarded; the mentality of a toddler.

Anyone who would come to a discussion of an exciting now album and claim that the artist is shit, an artist with an acclaimed 50+ year career, 28+ albums and undeniably influence, is infact just being a little fucking shithead and needs a good slap in the head. There are probably just a couple of kids always ready to shit up otherwise great music discussions and they deserve to be called out for beig the little faggots that they are.
>>
>>61593766

Listen to him.
>>
>>61593997
bowie is shit though
>>
>>61593670
>>61593997
If you use the word "contrarian," you're literally an idiot. It's a concept invented by idiots with reddit sensibilities who are too fragile to deal with criticism of mediocre media that has widespread appeal.

It's a troubling manifestation of millennials' mental weakness. Seriously, the only people who would even entertain any "argument" involving the concept of being "contrarian" are weak, lazy idiots who can't deal with criticism substantively.

If it bothers you that much that people criticize mediocre mass-marketed work designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like Sufjan Stevens, David Bowie, Kanye West, etc., you should find a safe bubble and stay there. Or kill yourself.
>>
>>61594343

>adjective

>opposing or rejecting popular opinion or current practice.
>>
>>61594343

>being this butthurt about being a contrarian edgelord

OK kid you win Bowie sucks, everyone is a pleb and not one of his 28 albums is worth a listen.
>>
>>61594630
>being this butthurt about having shit taste

OK kid you win Bowie is great, everyone is a patrician and every single one of his 28 albums is a masterpiece
>>
>>61594343

I honestly feel bad for anyone who doesn't like any Bowie as they clearly do not like music.
>>
>>61585929
>/mu/ has this tendency to praise an artist to an extreme amount and then start calling him shit, a meme, and entry level hipster garbage
I'm sure accomplished musicians like David Bowie are crying themselves to sleep at night over what /mu/ thinks.
>>
>>61594748
Or maybe they just don't like glorified mediocre music
>>
>>61594752

And the truth is that /mu/ loves Bowie, always has, always will.
>>
>>61594752
When the fuck did I say he does? Of course Bowie doesn't give a shit about this place
>>
>>61594873
/mu/ isn't a hivemind
>>
>>61594909

Regardless, /mu/ loves Bowie and it's only ever a couple of attention-seeking edgekids shitting up any discussion at most.
>>
>>61594873
Only tryhard, contrarian, edgelord, Armond White wannabes hate Bowie.

Seriously, I'm not a diehard fan or anything, but hating him is just so ridiculously tryhard. Name an artist of his ilk who has spanned 6 decades with good output in all of those decades.

No one compares. I'm a diehard Beatles fan, but McCartney can't hold a candle to that longevity.

Tom Waits has another decade to catch up on with Bowie -- and I actually don't think Waits' '70s output was that good. He only got good in the '80s, then excelled in the '90s and beyond.
>>
>>61594944
grow up dude

everyone isn't obligated to like bowie
>>
>>61594907
I wasn't aiming that at you. I thought that would be obvious.
>>
>>61594944
>/mu/ loves Bowie

Are you /mu/?
I think that Bowie is an ok artist, but I don't "love" him lol
>>
>>61590795
>His discography will forever be 5 tiers above all but three or four other musical acts.
>>
>>61594974

I'm not claiming that everyone should love Bowie, just stating a fact that if you don't like any Bowie, you just don't like music. That's cool man, but stop pretending otherwise you'll be a lot happier.
>>
>>61590795

Bowie has the most flawless streak in history.
>>
>>61594909
bullshit faggot
>>
>>61595035
>I think that Bowie is an ok artist
Fucking /mu/

I bet you love Deafheaven
>>
>>61591949
bowie is 70s butt rock
>>
>>61595104
not really

i only listened to Sunbather but i thought it was pretty bad
>>
>>61593696
This is coming from Based Montie, the bringer of 320kbs.
>>
>>61585848

This latest album it's like Bowie looked at my record purchases for the past five years and made a record just for me. I'd love to meet him I bet he'd dig my playlist. :3
>>
>>61595127
You'll cringe at yourself in a decade thinking back to when you said Bowie was "ok"

There are many artists I am not into that I can admit are great. Learn to tell the difference between your fickle subjective opinion and a largely observable fact.
>>
>>61595183
Gimme a list of those albums.

I feel like he'd been listening to Polar Bear.
>>
>>61586168
How fucking new are you
>>
>>61595209
>>61595183
Polar Bear and Scott Walker, I forgot to mention.

I know Bowie was in a Scott Walker documentary and is a fan.
>>
>>61595194
You'll cringe at yourself in a decade thinking back to when you couldn't accept opinions that aren't your own
>>
>>61595274
Nah
>>
>>61585831
edgy
>>
>>61595194
there aint such a thing as a "largely observable fact" in music, dude

like it or not, music IS subjective
>>
>>61595194

It's not just his own albums, Bowie is arguably responsible for pulling Lou Reed and Iggy Pop from the junky shitheap and sending them on their way with their best albums. That's along with rescuing Mott the Hoople, Tina Turner and Lulu from the shitheap as well as delivering incredible musicians to the wider public like SRV.
>>
>>61595230

Scott Walker is also a big Bowie fan.
>>
>>61595288
Let's see in 10 years, when you're not a teen anymore
>>
>>61595312
Couldn't agree more.

'Transformer' wouldn't have been made and 'The Idiot' was basically a Bowie album with Iggy as a vessel -- Iggy admitted as much, himself.

>>61595351
I'm 28, mate. No time for edgelords anymore. I can understand nuance, but /mu/ just breeds edgelords like you.
>>
>>61595383
So everyone who doesn't LOVE Bowie is an edgelord?

like i said before, i think that he's an ok artist, he made some great albums but overall his discography is really incosistent
do you want me to worship or something?
>>
>>61595476
*worship him
>>
>>61595476
Only a moron would discount classics due to latter day musical sins.

By your measure, the Beatles would be considered shit due to Paul McCartney's abomination 'Wings'.

Regardless, Bowie is more than ok. There are many artists not to my taste that I can admit are more than ok -- they are good or great. Bowie is great -- you don't need to love him to admit that.
The older you get the more you realise how subjective your own taste is, but also how good many artists outside of your interests are.
>>
>>61595476

I don't think anyone's claiming that, but there are edgekids prepared to state that Bowie sucks and none of the 28 albums he has made in the past 50 years is any good and that they all suck and everyone who likes Bowie is a fag.
>>
>Dirty Boys, Blackstar, Valentine's Day are as good as anything Bowie put out in the '60s, '70s or '80s.

Who could disagree?
>>
>>61595578
>There are many artists not to my taste that I can admit are more than ok -- they are good or great.

but that's just wrong
it doesn't matter how many accolades an artist has or how acclaimed an album he released is, what matters is what YOU think
if you think that an artist is shit, he might aswell be shit
it's because of people like you that concepts like "guilty pleasure" exist
>oh i really like this band but everyone told me that they aren't good so i should feel guilty about it!
it's stupid, music isn't and shouldn't be objective
>>
>>61593842
lol le post my meme in every thread meme
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>61595787
>what matters is what YOU think
Special snowflake.

Taste is subjective, baby. I am not a Rolling Stones fan, but I can recognise they're good at what they do.
Similarly, I'd never listen to Bob Dylan, but I know he's great at what he does.

Grow up, kid.
>>
>>61595847
I'd rather be a special snowflake than adhere to groupthink, but if you think that the latter is better whatever
>>
>>61595787

>toddler detected

Could you possibly be more immature? Just look at your atrocious grammar and punctuation; you disgusting imbecile do you think that Bowie wouldn't just laugh in your face?
>>
I hate pedophiles
>>
>>61595946
Spoken like a true special snowflake.

No one's asking you to adhere to a groupthink mate -- it's to take your head out of your arse and to admit that your subjective opinion isn't objective.
Are all country/hip-hop/jazz/grime artists shit because you're not into them? -- no.

Get over yourself and your lofty opinion of yourself.
>>
File: chesskid.jpg (81 KB, 680x473) Image search: [Google]
chesskid.jpg
81 KB, 680x473
>i don't like something
>therefore it's shit QED

Toddler logic.
>>
>>61595344
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF1Y7BzWbUs
:+)
>>
>>61595948
>>61596031
>>61596101
>Just look at your atrocious grammar and punctuation
english isn't my first language and i'm posting on anonymous imageboard, not writing an essay
get off your high horse

we clearly view music in different ways and this argument wont really go anywhere, so it's better if we end it here
Oh, and stop samefagging (and if you do, at least try to make it less obvious)

cya later, lad
>>
>>61596307

Could you be any more cunthurt you faggot plebian?
>>
>>61596203

Them feels. ;w;
>>
>>61596513
im not "cunthurt", whatever that means
you're the one who replied to a single post three times and called me an imbecile

look, it's ok that you think music is objective, i dont agree with that but whatever i wont try to change your mind
>>
When he stops paying pitchfork and they give him a ACTUAL review of his music, which would be a 3 at most.

Idiots call ziggy spooders a masterpiece LOL.
>>
>>61592335
Correctomondo. There's some Bowie which just doesn't cut it, then there's others which you think why isn't there more like this?
>>
A year or two, same with DG and AnCo, however this is not that good of an album, MS was a great album.
>>
this thread is making me embarrassed of being a Bowie fan
>>
>>61596776
same
>>
>>61588585
Where the hell are Heathen, Reality, and The Next Day?
>>
>>61586168
"we"
"reddit"
end ur'reself man, /mu/ has never dislike bowie
>>
I never completely liked Bowie

He is all style over substance.
His songwriting was weak for the most part, he was a glorified pop star with only a slight artistic tinge
>>
>>61596929
Same
I feel like you kind of had to be there to "get" him

[spoiler] kind of like death grips desu [/spoil]
>>
>>61596776
same desu senpai
>>
>>61586543
he'll do it, just like he did with lil ugly mane
and no one will care because bowie is untouchable
>>
David Bowie is a joke in the patrician scene
>>
Every one of your favourite artists is a Bowie fan and influenced by him.
>>
>>61597607
not really
>>
File: faggot ray.jpg (21 KB, 323x327) Image search: [Google]
faggot ray.jpg
21 KB, 323x327
>>61585780
Might as well admit that you enjoy sucking cock if you listen to him. I've heard Sweden has taken a liking to him recently.
>>
>>61588585
>Lodger
>Earthling
>Outside
>Heathen
>Let's Dance
>Young Americans
Should all be there. And to be honest, other than Eno, not popular artist has such an incredible album streak.
>>
>20-year-old shut-ins
>Still making hate memes
well be fine
>>
I don't >get< Bowie
I listened to like 4 of his first albums and it's all cheesy pop songs
>>
>>61598342
Good job, you're not a filthy pleb
>>
>>61598377
I was quite disappointed to be quite honest
>>
WHERE
>>
>>61599190
THE
>>
>>61599199
FUCK
>>
>>61599208
DID
>>
>>61599218
MONDAY
>>
>>61599229
GO?
>>
>>61599229
GO
>>
File: 222222.png (269 KB, 647x600) Image search: [Google]
222222.png
269 KB, 647x600
>>61598018
are you literally 15 years old?
>>
>>61585833
Slut shaming is good.
feminazis btfo
>>
Anyone who would hate Bowie instantly marks themselves as a non-music enthusiast. Saying something as banal as Bowie sucks is as ridiculous as saying that Beethoven sucks.
Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.