[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw someone near me claims "classical is dead"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: Harrison_Birtwistle_(cropped).jpg (564 KB, 1294x1728) Image search: [Google]
Harrison_Birtwistle_(cropped).jpg
564 KB, 1294x1728
>mfw someone near me claims "classical is dead"
>>
Classical is dead only in the sense that new works will never come close to the greatness that was Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, or Monteverdi. The spirit of the music, however, lives on. There are still people around who are open to the message of these masters, however few.
>>
>>61584681
>Classical is dead only in the sense that new works will never come close to the greatness that was Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, or Monteverdi.
This was written in 1981.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK3YoFSQp08
>>
I liked bqe a lot
>>
>>61584699
>posts dead composer's music to prove classical is not dead
??
>>
>>61585036
>literally 2 days ago
I could post more recent stuff that's really quality but I thought I would post something that would rival Mozart, Bach, Beethoven.
That shit doesn't come around all the time. Imagine if every year had a Jazz album better than A Love Supreme or Rock album better than Pet Sounds.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnDmycfIweI&feature=youtu.be

anyone that does this is an idiot imo
>>
>>61585126
that does what Haas does? I agree there's a lot more, better classical music nowadays
>>
>>61585149
damn, bodied, desu I'm not that into classical more into techno, I know that must set off alarm bells in ur head but if there are composers like haas that you think are better I would be open 2 & grateful 4 recs :)

even if they aren't like haas desu
>>
>>61584681
>new works will never come close to the greatness that was Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, or Monteverdi
define greatness
there are obviously new(er) works that are better than anything they ever wrote, but what is greatness (and who cares)?
>>
>>61585223
good modern classical music composers include:

harrison birtwistle (based as fuck)
wolfgang rihm
heinz holliger
kaija saariaho
unsuk chin
magnus lindberg
>>
>>61585149
Haas is gr8 m8 shut ur pleb mouf
>>
They're right. No recent classical music is good and just makes an outdated style of music look even more outdated. No classical composer working today will;ever match the works of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Debussy, Chopin etc
>>
File: 1452007345066.jpg (2 KB, 79x125) Image search: [Google]
1452007345066.jpg
2 KB, 79x125
>>61585270
>pleb
>not the person who listens to Haas
>>61585306
>No classical composer working today will;ever match the works of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Debussy, Chopin etc
I guess you haven't listened to any then.
see >>61584699
>>
>>61585063
>that would rival Mozart, Bach, Beethoven
You know that all of their work is generally considered to be pinnacles of their respective genres right? And that they produced it consistently year after year? And so the fact that you struggle to find music that would rival it ("that shit doesn't come around all the time") seems proof that classical is dying, no?
>>
>>61585335
Haas is a great composer.
It's a shame to see you're afraid of the implications of modernism.
>>
>>61585335
I guess i haven't because that's a shit piece and is not recent
thanks for proving my point
>>
any popular modern classical musicians?

Didn't think so
>>
>>61585361
>And so the fact that you struggle to find music that would rival it
But you don't.
Wagner matched them a few decades later.
Then Debussy/Stravinsky/Schoenberg.
Then Boulez and more arguable modern names.
If you aren't closedminded and an idiot, then there have consistently been people to match the old masters.
>>
>>61585063
>I thought I would post something that would rival Mozart, Bach, Beethoven.

Did you?
>>
File: smug-child.jpg (47 KB, 180x263) Image search: [Google]
smug-child.jpg
47 KB, 180x263
>>61585384
>because that's a shit piece
How much classical do you listen to?
BTW: Reich and Glass and Riley don't count.
>>61585391
jesus fucking christ read a thread will you?
>>
>>61585390
>Then Boulez and more arguable modern names.
This is the era we're discussing though. Now is the dark patch in classical history. No one is disputing Wagner, Debussy, or even Stravinsky (how many of his late works are performed).

Schoenberg is shit though.
>>
>>61585386
how popular are we talking?
various film composers, einaudi (wouldn't call him classical myself, but enough people call him that) and glass and part are all super stars.

anyway, the argument from popularity is a retarded one.
>>
>>61585460
>Schoenberg is shit though.
See my first reply here: >>61585412

>>61585466
Please don't pretend to care about classical music and fuck off.
>>
File: mostly classical.jpg (155 KB, 1092x514) Image search: [Google]
mostly classical.jpg
155 KB, 1092x514
>>61585492
like 90%
>>
>>61585492
>Please don't pretend to care about classical music and fuck off.
epic, my friend
>>
File: mfw I read your post.jpg (231 KB, 611x440) Image search: [Google]
mfw I read your post.jpg
231 KB, 611x440
>>61585521
>tries to convince me he listens to classical music by posting his music folder full of music he never listens to
oy vey we've got ourselves a young one!
>>61585525
>he listens to glass, part, film soundtracks
>thinks he can comment on classical music
epic, my friend
>>
>>61584983
>BQE
fuck off pleb
>>
>>61585561
lol what, there's a separate backlog folder you fag. what's your point?
>>
>>61585561
>>he listens to glass, part, film soundtracks
Are you genuinely retarded?
You asked what 'modern classical musicians' were popular, I told you which ones were popular, not which ones I listened to; Jesus, is that hard for you to understand?
I'm actually listening to Sofia Gubaidulina right now.
>>
>>61585623
>there's a separate backlog folder
So you're the average /mu/tant who doesn't care about music, just crunching through as many "patrishun" albums as possible?
Even worse.
>>61585630
>Gubaidulina
You aren't helping your case.
Seriously, just fuck off if you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>61585630
And by the way I find it hard to believe someone with a good knowledge of classical music would refer to contemporary composers as popular 'modern classical musicians'. popular 'modern classical musicians' equally covers Shostakovitch, Furtwängler and, taking a less technical definition of "modern", Andre Rieu.
>>
>>61585662
lmao this guy

you were the one who asked what I listen to you dip. do you have a point to make or are you just shitting your pants like a baby for attention?
>>
>>61585630
>You asked what 'modern classical musicians' were popular
Wasn't me, I'm OP.
>>
>>61585662
I'm beginning to suspect you know very little about classical music. Do you have a last.fm or rate your music or something that would show us what you actually listen to (presumably death grips and the occasional '50 most relaxing classical hits' cd)
>>
>>61585717
You cannot claim to love and listen to classical music if you do not appreciate Schoenberg onward.
>>
>>61585735
Then maybe you should have looked at the post I was responding to for context...
>>
>>61585740
I don't take rating very seriously but this should give you an idea at least: https://rateyourmusic.com/~boldfaure
>>
>>61585753
a good portion of the music in that screenshot alone is post-Schoenberg
>>
>>61585857
I mean in Schoenberg's tradition.
Copland isn't fucking Schoenberg (save Connotations).
>>
File: i'm done.gif (285 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
i'm done.gif
285 KB, 500x269
>>61585790
>boldfaure
Without fail.
>>
>>61585896
At least you conceded that I know much more about classical music than what you thought. :)
>>
>>61584699
this man is just standing on the shoulders of giants
>>
>>61585928
I wasn't the person/people you were arguing with, but yeah, I'll at least concede that.
>>
>>61585972
The fuck do you know about classical music?
>>
>>61586004
more than you apparently
>>
>>61585466
I wasn't talking about shit like John Williams or other film scores

and generally speaking popularity is an indicator of how much a genre is thriving

I an only think of like Philip Glass
>>
>>61585928
Don't think you do to be honest. Your profile screams 'I've never been to a classical concert but i'm really into le western art music I pirated guys xD' without knowing anything about the formal and/or technical aspects of the music.
>>
>>61584699
>muh le wrong generation
>>
>>61586017
Name 5 modern composers you listen to
>>
>>61586026
I could post my credentials but personal information on RYM/4chan is fucking stupid.
>>61586050
do you not know how memes work
lewronggeneration is for people who only like the old shit like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven
you tard
>>
>>61586053
jonny greenwood, lauren mayberry, lemmy from motorhead, jeff mangum and hans solo
>>
>>61586081
*i ment zimmer
>>
>>61586053
i only listen to the masters
you only have so much time on earth and i'd rather not waste it listening to contrived music. plus art is dead and vile now
>>
>>61585883
there's still plenty of post-Schoenberg music in that sense, too. why are you raging so hard dude? is it inconceivable that maybe someone out there listens to as much or more music than you do?
>>
>>61586123
>plus art is dead and vile now
see >>61586050
>>61586131
Wait, but how can you claim shit like Grisey and Ligeti are better than Boulez?
>austin peralta
OHHHHHHHH so YOU'RE the person detailed here: >>61586026
>>
>>61586167
It's true. Art can no longer adequately express social relations. At this point it is nothing more than an anachronism.
>>
File: Martin Creed - Fuck Off.jpg (108 KB, 560x374) Image search: [Google]
Martin Creed - Fuck Off.jpg
108 KB, 560x374
>>61586187
>>61586123
>>
>>61586167
>questioning my credentials
is this another avenue you would like me to embarrass you with? I am confident I have more and better degrees than you.

And I never said anything about Grisey, Ligeti, or Boulez. Just that Schoenberg's influence extends further than the quality of his music. And as to the original argument Boulez is hardly modern. He was on the same path at the time of his death as in the 1980s, and even then his output was infrequent due to his other duties - hardly apt for comparison with Mozart or Bach.
>>
>>61586257
>and even then his output was infrequent due to his other duties - hardly apt for comparison with Mozart or Bach.
>comparing output of modern composers/artists to classic
Get a load of this ignorant kid.
People don't music as much as they did back then, that's why there aren't any impressive catalogues to compare. Only rare people like Milhaud and Hovhannes have large catalogues and those two are spotty as fuck.
The quality of all Boulez' works is equivalent to the highest tier of Mozart's (which, let's remember, is half great and half mediocre).
>>
>>61586290
>People don't music as much as they did back then
wrong
>Milhaud and Hovhannes have large catalogues and those two are spotty as fuck.
wrong
>The quality of all Boulez' works is equivalent to the highest tier of Mozart's
wrong
>which, let's remember, is half great and half mediocre
wrong

good try though
>>
>>61586342
>>Milhaud and Hovhannes have large catalogues and those two are spotty as fuck.
>wrong
OK, you're shitposting.
Have a nice day.
>>
>>61586228
W/e senpai. Keep clinging on to ghosts
>>
>>61586360
you fell for the spotty-Milhaud meme dude. go ahead though, prove me wrong and post a bad piece.
>>
>>61586385
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnvsiDtLGtk

Have a nice day.
>>
>>61586407
hope you enjoyed your spanking ;)
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.