[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some smart high school students want to major in Music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1
File: Antique Birds Music Notes.jpg (77 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
Antique Birds Music Notes.jpg
77 KB, 570x570
(Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Dentistry, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE)

Some high school students who got extremely good grades in their finals (i.e. good enough for Medicine in non-American countries) decide to major in Music. Why would they pick that?

It's a waste of their good marks to pick Music. The field is hard to break into. They pay is also significantly lower than many other fields. And really, all jobs become boring over time and each job has its own shitty aspects. Playing the same songs on a piano each day will become dull over time. And if you become a Music teacher, you need to deal with kids who don't give a shit about music.

Really, all jobs are stressful in their own ways. These kids are better off working for the government. Government jobs are the best as it is hard to be fired from such jobs.
>>
Passion.
>>
>>61569589
So, all jobs are stressful and their passion will be sapped away over time.
>>
>>61569528

>why do guys try to fuck beautiful women when it's far more logical to only ever sleep with girls who are less attractive than you, statistically.

I guess not everyone wants to give up before they even began.
>>
>>61569602
I bet you aren't even 25
>>
>>61569602
Some people want to do their passion as their full time occupation, and get paid for it on the side.

>>61569528
poor pasta:
>decide to major in Music. Why would they pick that?
Because they want to learn about music. Nothing to do with what kind of career they have or will have. 1 degree is nothing, you can always take another degree until you've learned everything you want to learn. Some people never stop gaining degrees, I know someone who does exactly that, just studies for the love of learning.

Music as a career is only for those with the drive to do it. They're the people who would be doing music no matter what, but just so happen to also get paid for some of the musical activities or duties they perform. Some people have music as part of their life, it doesn't matter what their career is. Those with music in their life who are passionate or driven enough to try to make it their career have just as tough a career ahead as becoming a brain scientist (for a high end musical career like being a superstar conductor or soloist) or a government employee (for a mid tier musical career like being a professional session musician or a professional orchestral player), to a laborer or school teacher (the musical equivalent of a wedding band musician or a music teacher respectively).

Their are many different types of career in music, ranging from high demand, easy to break into careers to low demand, hard to break into careers, and all the shades in between.

>They pay is also significantly lower than many other fields
Poor grammar. Each career has its own pay grade so its pretty dumb to generalize. Music careers are much more varied than other jobs.

>All jobs become boring over time
Not really true. Many jobs constantly challenge you or invigorate you, and evolve along with you. You've probably just had shitty jobs at some fast food chain.

> if you become a Music teacher
Being a teacher can be incredibly rewarding, can even help forge great musicians.
>>
Because music is entry-level art, and people like to think that you can only be passionate about arts, so it has been some kind of a trend to study what you are "very passionate about".
>>
>>61569988
My parents agree with me.
>>61570180
It's better to find a stable job which pays well (eg. being a government employee) and pursue your interests as hobbies.
>>61570180
Have fun trying to teach Music at a ghetto school.
>>
>>61570415
Being a professional musician is a stable job that pays well, anon. Professional orchestral players are pretty much set for life, and thats just one example.

I think the problem here is you dont know much about music careers.

You're going to need something far more inflaming if you want to troll /mu/ "Why are smart students [halfbaked ideas with little coherency or foundation in real life]" isn't really good enough.
>>
>>61571334
These music jobs are hard to break into though
>>
>>61569528
>saying this on a music board
>guaranteed replies

good work op
>>
>>61570241
all art is entry-level
get fucked
>>
>I have settled for a life of mediocrity and disappointment, why won't everyone else do the same?
>>
for some people money doesn't matter. how do you want to sell your labor op? if it wasnt such hard work i'd take the shit pay and major in music too
>>
>>61569528
You sound like you are fun at parties.

For real though you seem like you have a real narrow view of life.
>>
>>61572272
So just because something is hard you just shouldn't do it?? Man your gonna have a terrible life with your attitude.
>>
>>61572692
This is reality. All jobs are shit.
>>61572741
My parents would agree with me so what I said is the truth.
>>
>>61569528
i went to school to school for music because i like it and it's the only thing that keeps me interested. also my family is rich so i get a big allowance every month :)
>>
>>61569528
Oooh that's a patrician pasta
>>
>>61572779
>All jobs are shit
Not if your job happens to also be your passion.

I have a great job right now and its not even one of my main passions. Its an excellent job (chef) which constantly challenges me, I have great co workers, relaxed bosses, plenty to eat and drink, and makes the time pass quickly. Plus I really enjoy making nice food for people.
Then when I do get music work its just a perk.

Some of us look past our own lifetime. So what if you had a boring job and made enough money to buy a house, no one will remember your name except your family (and even then probably only for 50 years max after you die).

If you do something creative like being a composer or a recording artist, you create something that helps people, gives people enjoyment, and can live on in memory indefinitely.

I guess you cant change your outlook. OP thinks all jobs are boring and that the only music job is being a teacher, and that all kids hate music. None of these things are true, its just his outlook, probably based on his experiences (or lack thereof).
>>
>>61573609
OP here. I did some retail jobs and they were shit.
>>
Are you really too ignorant to see that people just like to study where their interest are?
Those people would be bored doing other studies that they don't have interest in.
Fuck why am I even replying to this thread
>>
So say I wanted to get a music/sound related job. Where do I start? Should I get a music degree?
>>
>>61574815
So? You don't study something with shitty prospects.
>>
>>61572779
Are you twelve, your parents are not an authority on anything. Just because they agree with you doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>61576400
That's what my parents advised me to do.
>>
>>61576317
You should never sacrifice your dreams for a job.
I've chosen to study philosophy because I am legitimately interested in it not because I believe it will get me a job. I'm not going to a world-ranked university because it will get me a job, but because it has a fantastic learning environment. What's the point in living if you can't follow your dreams?
>>
>>61576463
It's so hard to find a decent job afterwards with that degree though. So many end up flipping burgers at McDonalds.
And aren't you worried that you will get burned out one day?
>>
>>61572497
What? Of course not!
>>
>>61576624
Not too worried because I can always go and get a teaching or a business degree if it doesn't work out. I'll take the risk now whilst I'm young and can still afford to do so.
>>
>>61572272
Name an industry that isn't hard to break into.

If getting a white-collar job is so easy, then why isn't everyone doing it? Why do university graduates stress themselves over exams and unpaid internships if they're easy?

The music industry is ever expanding, with so much of the work not even related to performance or composition. Digital Distribution Management didn't exist as a job just 10 years ago, and now it's a booming industry with the rise of streaming platforms such as Spotify.

Get off 4chan, explore the world outside of your parent's house, and talk to people about their lives and careers.
Nothing is as simple as it seems.
>>
>>61576463
>fantastic learning environment instead of world class uni
hehe
>>
>>61574864
Go to your local trades/technical school and see if they have a course for sound.
Private colleges are overpriced and their 'degrees' are useless in the industry.

Learn the basics and call all the local crewing and roadie companies in your city. Push roadcases and cables for a year and you'll learn a lot.

I currently work as a sound tech, and that's how I started.
>>
>>61576706
Medicine isn't hard to break into as there is a shortage of doctors.
>>
>>61576810
>10+ years of study and work placements
>try not to land in a ghetto hospital or as a gp
You get the idea, everything takes work and effort.
>>
>>61576878
The percentage of Engineering majors who ended up at Starbucks is lower than Music majors though.
>>
>>61576905
A lot of factors in that argument.

But I'll bet there are a lot more Engineering majors with less career development than Music majors.
>>
>>61576950
Do you have statisitcs to back that up?
And working in some shitty Engineering job is better than Starbucks I think.
>>
>>61576969
Do you have statistics for your first claim?

Career development and progression: the opportunity to develop and progress within your chosen industry, expanding your horizons, and exploring unknowns.

When was the last time you saw someone work Starbucks their whole life? Now compare that with someone who spent years in-between jobs before scoring their dream gig, or re-inventing the industry.

Let's face it, the music industry is moving faster than ever. I'll be the first to admit that studying music doesn't really help unless you're gunning for a performance/composition/teaching position, but there's so much scope.

A lot more than graduating a mechanical engineer and building oil rigs your whole life.

If you're struggling to think of potential avenues, I can give you an example, in the form of my friend's dad.

He studied music, majoring in Jazz saxophone. He spent several years playing in local jazz groups in his hometown, while working part-time to pay the bills.

It paid off when someone in his network was looking for a session player for a jazz album he was recording at the time. After doing well in the session, he exchanged details with the other players, and soon found himself a regular session musician for albums as well as commercials and jingles.
He picked up a number of other wind instruments and became a session 'doubler', increasing his job prospects.

He then flew to the US, landed a few more performance and session gigs over there, before getting married.
Deciding he'd need a more stable income, he enrolled at a teacher's college, and became a jazz instrumental music teacher, as well as director of a number of jazz ensembles.

Naturally, these were secondary schools with a budget for a jazz ensemble, ie. private schools, so he was able to make a decent salary to raise a family on, while still being able to take on gigs on the side and perform in the evenings with his own bands.
>>
>>61577099
You'd be right in saying that there are very little job prospects in the music industry, but more than ever is the industry about creating your own work and avenues.

When you start forging your own path, rather than taking one that you've been pushed onto by your parents or white collar middle-class society, you innovate and create opportunities.

If you're following your passion, all the better. You don't get tired of your job, because it's one you've made for yourself, and you can change whenever you want.

If you don't have the balls or ability to put yourself out there, and be willing to put in the hard yards for a payoff that might be years away, don't try to get into music.
>>
>>61577161
Yeah, but how can you be sure you aren't romanticising things too much?
>>
>>61577805
Because I've been working in the industry for the last five years.

Everyone's story is different, and I've talked to a lot of people about their careers (including outside of music).
The biggest cause of people hating their jobs is either staying because of the money, or not taking risks.
The biggest reason people fail is either fear or a lack of ambition/drive. People with a white-collar mentality thinking a degree automatically guarantees them work and a good pay for life; an idea leftover by the generations before us.
>>
>>61577912
I thought most people hated their jobs due to shitty coworkers/bosses and monotonous tasks. I did retail work and it was not fun.
>>
>>61578000
That's another cause for sure.

Let me ask you a question though, since I feel that your scope of reference for work is rather limited.
Why did you choose to work retail?

Also, what is your passion? What you want to do, if money was no matter?
>>
>>61578090
Because I took a gap year and I had no choice.
No idea.
>>
>>61578212
So you can understand why people might hate their jobs: they have no choice.
Be it through family, financial, or other pressure.

Got any hobbies?
>>
>>61576810
>there is a shortage of doctors.
further proof this is not directed at americans
>>
>>61578275
But pursuing your interests is sort of like being picky which is bad. I mean, it is more important to find one that pays the bills. Even if you find a job which pays less, you may realise that it may not be as good as you think.
>>61578336
Isn't there a shortage of doctors in every country in the world?
>>
>>61578439
Ultimately you have to 'be picky'. Some call this specialization, others call it 'carving out your niche', I say it's common sense.
You can't spend your life doing every single job, from construction to teaching to medicine, you have to ultimately choose something to do.

Considering that you invariably start at the same level as everyone else, entry-level, what career would be the one that would best motivate you to put up with the hard slog of the initial years to get to the top, where you want to be?

For some people that choice is decided by money, others a sense of pride or prestige, and for others, passion.

Put it this way, if you're in a 'tough industry' you're more likely to work harder than the people around you and succeed if it's something you're passionate about and live for.
If you had to work retail for the rest of your life, do you think you would seriously rise up to the occasion and be the person who is considered for every promotion?

Re: Doctors
I think it depends on the country, although I know that in a lot of Europe, where governments actually fund healthcare, there is a decent demand for them.
Although you have to factor in that it takes 10+ years, depending on the country, to be a fully practicing doctor. However, compared to programming, you'd spend 3 of those 10 years studying, and 7 working - getting promoted from a junior programmer to maybe a small project manager or senior programmer.

All about the point of reference.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.