[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about The Mountain Goats?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
What do you guys think about The Mountain Goats?
>>
not 2 bad
>>
>>61568557

fucking terrible. i would rather listen to kpop
>>
>>61568557
good
>>
File: jd.jpg (46 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
jd.jpg
46 KB, 500x335
>>61568557
they're my favorite band tbf
AHWT is their best album
>>
I like the fuzzy boombox stuff
>>
Post-AHWT is shit

The Corner's Gambit and Full Force Galesburg are god-tier.

90s EPs are good to great

Comp. albums are p. good as well
>>
One of my favorite bands.

I actually just picked up Tallahassee on vinyl today.
>>
File: planejd.jpg (155 KB, 1280x910) Image search: [Google]
planejd.jpg
155 KB, 1280x910
>>
>>61569108
>Post-AHWT is shit
you're shit.
>>
Best lyricist of our generation. Get lonely is my go to album when my depression gets the best of me and we shall all be healed was all I listened to the first time I tried to kick coke and pain pills.
>>
uber couple songs are the best which makes tallahassee my favorite album. so good for sad and drunk times.
>>
>>61570333
Other than Get Lonely, it's all tumblr tier lyrics and shit instrumentals

John should've stuck with the lo-fi sound, guest cameos, and story telling.

There's a reason why All Hail West Texas and The Coroner's Gambit are hailed as his best.
>>
>>61572874
>John should've stuck with the lo-fi sound

Stopped reading there. John never used lo-fi as an aesthetic, he used it because it was the most affordable option at the time, plus it cassettes had the bonus of being spontaneous. However, John recorded when he could in a studio because he actually preferred it.

>it's all tumblr tier lyrics
>story telling
Have you not actually listened to a mountain goats record after AHWT? There is plenty of storytelling in his music. And I fail to see how they could be "tumblr tier" when they're about the same damn quality that they've always been, it's just seems you seem to be blinded by the lack of lo-fi aesthetic.

>There's a reason why All Hail West Texas and The Coroner's Gambit are hailed as his best.
And so are Tallahassee, and so is We Shall All Be Healed, and so is The Sunset Tree. If you seriously think any of those records are "tumblr tier" lyrics, you're dumb as a rock.
>>
>>61573335
I never said he used it as aesthetic. I'm saying he should have realized his music was better as such

Listening to Tallahassee and The Sunset Tree is like listening to a diary entry from an abused child/divorced man and it comes off as whiny and unoriginal. There's not much storytelling, just "oh my childhood and divorce were hard" shit.

His lo-fi years actually give a sense of emotion while his newer albums almost sound overproduced and plastic.

Nothing will ever beat the lo-fi years. I'm not blinded, you just have a bad taste in Darnielle's music
>>
I AM DROWNING

THERE IS NO SIGHT OF LAND
>>
>>61573687
YOU ARE COMING DOWN WITH ME

HAND IN UNLOVEABLE HAND
>>
u n b e a r a b l e
w h i t e n e s s
>>
>>61573670
You can take your elitism and shove it up your ass. There is storytelling there, but you're apparently too much of a prick to acknowledge it. They're overarching stories, which is something John did before in the lo-fi days wit the Alpha couple. Tallahassee is a continuance of that story

>His lo-fi years actually give a sense of emotion while his newer albums almost sound overproduced and plastic.
lol at Tallahassee and We Shall All Be Healed sounding "overproduced" when in fact they are pretty damn raw and lo-fi for studio produced albums. And if you can't detect any emotion in The Sunset Tree, you might be a sociopath.
>>
>>61573670
>I'm saying he should have realized his music was better as such
You seem to be ignoring the fact that you don't like his writing now anyway, so even if he kept the lo-fi aesthetic, you still wouldn't like it, so at the end of the day, whether or not he switched wouldn't matter to you.
>>
>>61573726
AND I HOPE YOU DIE

I HOPE WE BOTH DIE
>>
>>61573670
>tumblr tier lyrics
Try again with an actual critique.
>>
One of the most consistently good bands out there imo. The only albums I'm not a big fan of are Heretic Pride and All Eternals Deck, but other than that, really solid discography.
JD is a 10/10 songwriter.
>>
>>61573670
wew lad
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.