[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Great music critic burns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13
File: Christgau.png (29 KB, 1036x57) Image search: [Google]
Christgau.png
29 KB, 1036x57
I'll start with a classic from based Christgau
>>
File: Black Sabbath.jpg (40 KB, 572x22) Image search: [Google]
Black Sabbath.jpg
40 KB, 572x22
here's another classic Christgau
>>
File: The Doors - s:t.jpg (69 KB, 777x60) Image search: [Google]
The Doors - s:t.jpg
69 KB, 777x60
>>61555470
and another one
>>
File: Christgau LCD.png (25 KB, 994x54) Image search: [Google]
Christgau LCD.png
25 KB, 994x54
Inb4 this becomes a Christgau appreciation thread
>>
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/9464-shine-on/

One of the few things I've ever laughed at from pitchfork
>>
>>61555532
/mu/ doesn't appreciate Christgau
>>
>>61555599
My point exactly
>>
File: Daft Punk.jpg (214 KB, 783x224) Image search: [Google]
Daft Punk.jpg
214 KB, 783x224
Christgau gets pretty drastic at times, this is another of my favourites.
>>
>>61555626
I think it's because Christgau doesn't really give a fuck and will pan the shit out of something everyone else is giving a 10/10. Which creates butthurt here (how come he gave [my favorite album] a [bad rating] yet he gives Souljaboy a A-?).

But he's the best and most insightful writer around
>>
He sounds like a cunt tbqh
>>
File: Capture.png (9 KB, 851x51) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
9 KB, 851x51
best one
>>
>>61555743
absolutely based
>>
Does anyone else have no idea what Christgau's talking about most of the time?
>>
>>61555728
That's his appeal.
>>
Scaruffi > Memegau
>>
File: nietzchefeels.jpg (94 KB, 632x802) Image search: [Google]
nietzchefeels.jpg
94 KB, 632x802
>>61555728
'terribleness is part of greatness: let us not deceive ourselves'
>>
> Yeezus (Def Jam, 2013), designed with an incredible number of collaborators, is a sloppy, awkward and amateurish work despite the impeccable fusion of electronics and vocals, the impeccable collages, the impeccable production. But sound quality is a technological, not an artistic, fact. Daft Punk are responsible for the robotic beat of On Sight and the monster riff of Black Skinhead (one of the catchiest "songs"): cool but nothing we haven't heard before. There are a few moments of pathos: the reggae-like cry of I am a God in a desolate post-industrial soundscape, the gloomy crescendo of the first half of Hold My Liquor (before the misguided synth orgy), the martial trombone fanfares of Blood on the Leaves, and... i struggled to find at least one more. But there are also embarrassingly trivial moments of both mashup and sociopolitical analysis (New Slaves, I'm in It, Blood on the Leaves, and Bound 2, which is simply a lame tribute to soul music) and there is certainly an unusual dose of filler (a four-song EP would have been more appropriate for what West had to say in this album). As a narrative experience, these stories may try something new but it's more a case of a populist bard desperately trying to find something new to say to his followers than a serious discussion on gender and race. As an aural experience, this album feels terribly old, like most granpas when they try to speak the language of their high-school nephews. Maybe this album was only meant as a self-mocking joke?
>>
File: Beefheart.png (32 KB, 563x94) Image search: [Google]
Beefheart.png
32 KB, 563x94
>>61555796
Scaruffi was triggered by this review
>>
>>61555796
scaruffi's quality as a critic is indicated by his status - unknown to anyone outside a group of autistic teenagers who dislike the beatles.
>>
>>61555743
kek
>>
>no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
>>
>>61555885
#no
>>
>>61555757
Like anon below you said "That's his appeal." He writes elliptical nonsense that sounds like a putdown along with a shit rating system. People repeat it out of fear of looking dumb for not getting it. The critic produces no actual criticism so you can't dispute him, therefore he's right.
>>
>>61555406
>>61555470
He is an arrogant prick and does not know much about music as far as composition goes, but I guess that sort of is the point. Still, his writing style _can_ be funny.

>>61555490
Ehhh, then there's this. Low-tier writing and not at all entertaining, and I'm not saying this as some deeply dedicated the Doors fan or anything.

>>61555703
>he's the best and most insightful writer around
Good lord, how little writing have you been exposed to?
>>
>>61555703
his reviews are mostly attempts to psycho-analyse the potential audience and make him feel somehow superior
>>
File: Christgau on Kanye.png (21 KB, 691x61) Image search: [Google]
Christgau on Kanye.png
21 KB, 691x61
Based christgau strikes again
>>
>>61555971
Read Christgau's essays. He's a great fucking writer.
>>
>>61555743
l e g e n d a r y
>>
>>61555818
>one of the catchiest "songs"
>"songs"
cringed
>>
>>61555743
>tom_cruise_laughing_meme.png
>>
File: Laughing-Tom-Cruise-Meme-01.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Tom-Cruise-Meme-01.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
>>61556142
Got you bud
>>
File: lego robodot.jpg (52 KB, 903x884) Image search: [Google]
lego robodot.jpg
52 KB, 903x884
>B+, C-,E,a scissor, three bombs,a ** score

what is this guy about?
>>
>>61556233
this wtf. also why one sentence reviews
>>
>>61555703
I don't agree with his ratings but I like reading the reviews, they're pretty funny.
>>
>>61555991
i have, they are pretty okay, but if that's your definition of great than you're insane
>>
>>61556193
this image is so fucking repulsive i dont know why
i secretly despise everybody saving it and using it
>>
>>61555470
>>61555490
>>61555700

I know who he is but never gave any attention.
I completely agree with these.
>>
he's basically an edgelord posting his opinions on albums as if he were anonymously shitposting on 4chan
>>
Someone post Spiderland
>>
>>61555406
is ersatz shit the glib facsimle of music?
>>
File: Scruffy, are you all right.jpg (83 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Scruffy, are you all right.jpg
83 KB, 600x450
>>61555825
>>
>>61555885
NOBODY CAN DO THE SHINGALING LIKE I DO
>>
>>61555703
Christgau praised Iggy Azalea's album. He's a contrarian hack.
>>
>>61556254
A lot of the older ones were written for The Village Voice and he wasn't given a ton of space. Honestly, I prefer reading a couple of sentences to reading an essay, because in my experience they're about as useful in indicating whether I'll actually like something or not.

>>61556233
He overhauled his rating system in the 80s or something, so it's all fucked up and inconsistent now. Honestly all you need to know is anything above a B is good, a bomb means it didn't like it, and scissors mean there were a handful of tracks he liked.
>>
>>61557793
Bro, hate to break it to you, but you're on 4chan
>>
File: Slint Spiderland.png (54 KB, 1018x105) Image search: [Google]
Slint Spiderland.png
54 KB, 1018x105
>>61557522

Too based to give a fuck about /mu/core
>>
>>61557596
That is the best thing I have ever seen on 4chan
>>
>>61558353
triggered
>>
His "bomb" scores make it really hard to take him seriously. How is it helpful to anyone at all to give a review consisting entirely of a symbol with no words or explanation? If anything, his reviews have the reverse effect - I never want to listen to most of the albums he reviews because of 99% of his reviews just being self-inflating bullshit wankery, while I always want to hear the albums he gives bombs to because I still have no fucking idea if I'd enjoy the album or not. Thanks for nothing, Christgau.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.