[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on this? i like it more that The Terror tbqh. The Flaming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9
File: homepage_large.bfe49998.jpg (113 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.bfe49998.jpg
113 KB, 319x319
Thoughts on this? i like it more that The Terror tbqh.
The Flaming Lips general.
lets see those hot opinions /mu/
>>
>>61519642
What is that?
>>
>>61519681
The Peace Sword EP.

It's essentially some Yoshimi-era sounding songs, that were rejected from the Ender's Game film adaptation
>>
>>61519708
Oh OK. I've only heard it, I didn't know what the cover looks like.

If you're OP, it's kind of a unique sound, because it's a bit of the modern Embryonic era sounding FLips, but with a touch of the pop elements and structures of Soft Bulletin era. I would say the closest thing is 7 Skies H3 or the Electric Wurms album.
>>
>>61519681
I agree. It's a pretty amazing EP. Although I thought The Terror was more cohesive.
>>
File: traksss.png (7 KB, 213x236) Image search: [Google]
traksss.png
7 KB, 213x236
also Hit to Deah best album
and what is the fucking right track listing for TSB? i use pic related
>>
>>61519811
The vinyl one
>>
>>61519818
Wrong
>>61519811
There really isn't a "right" version. it's whatever you like. But the traclist flashed in the p4k doc, makes more sense, moving Slow Motion up to be between Spiderbite and Biggin.
>>
Does anyone have a link for the non 5.1 version of the soft bulletin, i want to hear all those remixes and shit everyone always talk about
>>61519769
for me it feels more like the terror + soft bulletin but whatever
>>
>>61519818
the one i posted is the vinyl one right?
>>61519837
i mean which was the one the band want it to be
>>
it was the biggest disappointment. they were supposed to finally start making interesting dark music after the terror like radiohead, not revert to infantile saccharine pothead love anthems. fucking dumb assholes.
>>
>>61519896
There isn't a one "the band wanted it to be".
>>
>>61519870
>for me it feels more like the terror + soft bulletin but whatever
The Terror and Embryonic are pretty much the same era.
>>
File: c70.png (55 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
c70.png
55 KB, 625x626
>>61519898
bait
>>
>>61519915
so... they just made the songs and tell other people decide is what order is it?
wew
i always thought it was some kind of conceptual album, maybe not lyrically but yes sonically, i mean, race for the prize feels completly like an opener to me, so does sleeping on the roof but as a closer
>>
reminder that zaireeka is their best album
>>
>>61519898
they still havent made an album after the terror m8
they just were bros and helped miley produce her shit so it wasnt so shit
>>
>>61519992
it was a good idea killed by poor execution and production, it feels like they rushed it, it could have been better
>>
>>61519967
>so... they just made the songs and tell other people decide is what order is it?
No. It just is what it is.
>i always thought it was some kind of conceptual album, maybe not lyrically but yes sonically, i mean, race for the prize feels completly like an opener to me, so does sleeping on the roof but as a closer
There's a theme that runs through the album, but not really a narrative where songs NEED to be in a certain order.

What happened was that Warner Brothers made them remix the singles for radio airplay, so those songs were tagged onto the end of the album on the US version. And then both the US and UK versions had a unique song not on the other.

So if you want an "album they intended" drop the remixes. But you still have the problem of either Spiderbite Song or Slow Motion. There's no "correct" version with both. that's why it's just whatever you want.

To me, the correct version is the orignal US version because that's what I've been listening to for 16 years.
>>
File: 1411353681130.png (453 KB, 507x513) Image search: [Google]
1411353681130.png
453 KB, 507x513
>non-high range Wayne
>80's flaming lips
>>
>>61520063
>To me, the correct version is the orignal US version because that's what I've been listening to for 16 years.
which one is that?
>>
>>61520004
>they just were bros and helped miley produce her shit so it wasnt so shit
that's not being bros. someday miley is going to look back and wish she hadn't spent so much of the best years of her life with some has been burnout turd that leeched off her naivety for personal advancement and entertainment.

Not to mention these classic rock cover albums are appalling cash grubbing jerk off refuse.

>>61519941
it's not bait. anyone who is anyone knows enough to have written of FLips completely at this point. They are are irredeemable garbage that wasn't even great to begin with.
>>
>>61520106
This guy's pic >>61519811 but no Slow Motion. Stop after Sleeping On The Roof.
>>
I'm actually amazed they pulled off such tight songwriting with such strong pop sensibilities in 2013. It's easily their best work following the Yoshimi era,* conceptually reflecting hope in the face of pure despair, which is a key element to the Flaming Lips' thematic aesthetic.

*It may be harsh, but I do prefer it to Embryonic.
>>
>>61520163
so... i just delate Slow Motion lol? never really liked the song that MUCH tbqh, could live without it
>>
>>61519811
>Hit to Deah best album
That's strange. I interpret it as a 7.5.
>>
>>61520194
>It's easily their best work following the Yoshimi era,
ugh fucking garbage ass people in here.

Soft Bulletin, Priest Driven Ambulance, Terror, Lightning bolt spit---these are the only good things you dumb shits
>>
>>61520208
No. You should do what you want to do, because there doesn't seem to be a "correct" version.
>>
>>61519818
Fucking no. The vinyl release places Slow Motion in between the Gash and Feeling Yourself Disintegrate, which COMPLETELY breaks the flow of the album. Wayne's beat boxing in the beginning of Feeling Yourself Disintegrate sounds like humanity gasping for breath following the intensity of the Gash, making it sound very emotional, and Slow Motion fucks that up. It's a good song, you just don't place a nice little song like that right in the climax of the album.
>>
>>61520232
hit to death > TSB > clouds > yoshime = embryonic > the terror >= zairekka > telepatic surgery >>> everything else.
i like most of their stuff tho
>>
>>61520264
Fuck you.
>>
>>61520345
where should it be then?
also i read in another thread about some anon adding some outtakes to the album.
does anybody else do that? is there an EP with the outtakes or something like that i can easily download and add to the album?
>>
>>61520369
i wanna get high but I don't want brain damage, more like I'm on mu and don't want plain garbage. seriously, take your shite thoughts over to b, it's the only place that would appreciate feces like you. You heard me, go on. Get out of here; scat.
>>
File: cover.jpg (51 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
51 KB, 500x499
>tfw scaruffi was right
>>
>>61520406
>where should it be then?
On the UK version of the album, in Spiderbite's place
>also i read in another thread about some anon adding some outtakes to the album.
>does anybody else do that? is there an EP with the outtakes or something like that i can easily download and add to the album?
Download the Soft Bulletin Companion.
>>
>>61520406
>is there an EP with the outtakes or something like that i can easily download and add to the album?
I thought you just said you wanted what the band wanted? Why are you just adding random shit to the album?
>>
File: 1408852418597.png (193 KB, 300x343) Image search: [Google]
1408852418597.png
193 KB, 300x343
>>61520440
lol is this a new meme?
>>61520496
>tfw Hell'S Angel'S Cracker Factory
>>
>>61520406
I can't think of anywhere it would fit on the album. The only logical place I can think of it fitting is in between the Spark That Bled and Buggin', replacing the Spiderbite Song, which raises the question of which song is better: Slow Motion or the Spiderbite Song? And while I like Slow Motion, it's not as good as the Spiderbite Song by far. You could place it either before the Spiderbite song or vise versa, but that would make the album feel slow towards the later early section, so I just can't think of anywhere it would have fit on the album. Really, I think they should have released a bonus EP with the songs that weren't included on the album, because really, they're all good. Slow Motion could have been on that.
>>
>>61520524
since nobody gives a shit i want all the shit nigga, i already have TSB all nice and tidy, might as well have another version full of other work, somehting like those fan remixes of SMiLE, like the MQL for example
>>
>>61520440
Okay, look, I'm sorry. Can I stay?
>>
>>61520549
>lol is this a new meme?
the sad truth is I just do this for a sfssfssf caause im sakhfkhasfasf. really, the number of times I have seen people post 'is this a meme' or say this is the moist SOso auateistic ethsa
>>
>>61520581
>somehting like those fan remixes of SMiLE
But that album wasn't finished.

Soft Bullet was.

And what makes you qualified to know what it should sound like? You don't even know what the outtakes were.
>>
>>61520594
suck my dick.
>>
>>61520264
Idiot
>>
>>61520612
>And what makes you qualified to know what it should sound like?
???
who gives a le fuck, autismo?
i just want more music from a band a like
outtakes and b-sides are always cool, the hell is wrong with you?
>>
>>61520702
If you're going to be a dick, I won't give them to you then

Have a nice day anon.
>>
>>61520715
im sorry :(
>>
>>61520796
OK the actual album outtakes are
>The Captain
>Satellite of You
>100 Foot Hands/Realizing the Speed of Light

Then there are compilation tracks recorded during the Soft Bulletin Sessions
>Headphones Theme from Seemingly Infinity
>Little Hands (demo for Robert Plant)

Then there are BBC/John Peel radio sessions
>The Switch That Turned off The Universe
>We Can't Predict The Future
>It Remained Unrealizable
>Up Above The Daily Hum

And songs only played "live" on the Boombox Experiment shows
>A Winter's Day Car Accident
>Schizophrenic Sunrise
>Altruism or That's The Crotch Calling The Devil Black
>Should We Keep The Severed Head Alive?
>Heralding a Better Ego

And then of course, the official band stereo mixes of the Zaireeka tracks, once intended for Soft bulletin
>The Big Ol Bug Is The New Baby Now
>OK I Admit That i really Don't Understand
>Riding To Work in the year 2025
>15000 Feet of Despair
>A Machine In India (edit)

I think that's everything, along with Slow Motion and the Mokran remixes of the three singles (Race For The Prize, Buggin and Superman).
>>
>>61520923
damn thats a lot of shit
could have been another album
>>
I'm still bummed they gave Kliph the boot. They've been consistantly great with everything after At War With the Mystics but golly i wish Wayne wasn't such a fag
>>
File: macklemoore1448685423275.jpg (64 KB, 527x257) Image search: [Google]
macklemoore1448685423275.jpg
64 KB, 527x257
Vote for best flaming lips album
http://strawpoll.me/6445987
>>
>>61521805
lol
>>
>>61521805
did he really say that?
>>
File: 1449098915187.jpg (14 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1449098915187.jpg
14 KB, 300x400
>>61521805
>yoshimi at number 2
>>
>>61519642
I agree. The Terror was pretty good, but none of the songs were that interesting.
>>
>>61520496
he was half right
>The somewhat forced burlesque style of This Here Giraffe, Christmas At The Zoo, and Guy Who Got A Headache And Accidentally Saves The World however, had arias that were a little too distorted which denoted a very tired group.
>>
>>61522443
Are you going to post the right half?
>>
>>61521805
>Ego tripping
>Two Blobs Fucking
>>
>>61522634
he gave it a 6/10, but apparently thats a good score in his book
>>
>>61522694
Since Clouds is a 10/10 album, thats still not the right half.
>>
>>61522732
he is half right in the sense that he rated telepath surgery good, although neglected their other good work (clouds, soft bulliten)
>>
>>61522923
>he is half right in the sense that he rated telepath surgery good
I guess when only compared to At War With The Mystics or Hear It is, yeah it's great.

But when compared to everything, it's one of their weaker albums.
>>
i'm not gonna read thru the whole thread so someone else may have already posted this, but the terror is the best thing the lips have done since transmissions
>>
>>61521805
>the soft bulletin winning by a landslide
i knew this place was infested with p4k plebs. the soft bulletin is cheesy infantile crap like>>61519898 said. i will never understand why people love it so much
>>
>>61524260
ya i love the terror
whenever i see the lips live i wish they would play more from the terror but its always a happy-themed show but like FUCK at least play look the sun is rusing
>>
>>61524449
>i will never understand why people love it so much
That's because you don't know music theory.
>>
>>61524481
what is your theory on this particular piece?
>>
>>61524500
*my* theory? it's the most well-composed and most intricately produced album of their cannon.
>>
>>61524481
>That's because you don't know music theory.
fuck you. i've been playing bass and guitar for over a decade. i know more about music theory than 99% of the drones who hail that album as a masterpiece. it's simplistic pop music with gimmicky instrumentation and overly-sentimental lyrics.

if you truly appreciated music based on it's utilization of theory, then you wouldn't be listening to pop music to begin with
>>
Embryonic > Yoshimi > The Terror >> The Soft Bulletin > everything else

they are such a weird band because they have moments of genius but then they do some shit that makes me believe anything good they've done was accidentally.
>>
>>61524845
>then you wouldn't be listening to pop music to begin with
Pop music uses music theory though
>i know more about music theory than...
Chart out The Spark That Bled.
>>
>>61524968
>they have moments of genius but then they do some shit that makes me believe anything good they've done was accidentally.
i completely agree with this
>>
>>61524982
>Pop music uses music theory though
ok i worded that incorrectly. what i meant is that if you value music based on the creative and technical utilization of music theory, then you wouldn't be listening to pop

>the spark that bled
ok so they know how to play 7th chords on guitar
>>
>>61525111
>>61524982
also i'll admit that the spark is one of the few redeeming songs on the album
>>
>>61525111
>then you wouldn't be listening to pop
Is Flaming Lips pop?
>ok so they know how to play 7th chords on guitar
Ooops you didn't chart out the song. Try again.
>>
>>61525143
>Is Flaming Lips pop?
yes
>>
>>61525278
So this is pop?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFVjcpsGAc
>>
>>61525317
dude you're the one claiming to be into music theory. by pop i mean everything that isn't jazz, folk, or classical
>>
>>61525470
Ooops you mean Pop, Folk and Art music, not "rock, jazz, folk and classical".

Still waiting for you to chart it out. What's taking so long?
>>
>>61525518
i'm not about to get into the "art music vs classical" argument with you, and i'm definitely not going to chart out an entire song to prove a point to some anonymous pleb on a nicaraguan stamp-collecting board.
>>
>>61525669
>i'm not about to get into the "art music vs classical" argument with you,
You already did. Are you backpedling?
>>
File: wat.jpg (53 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
53 KB, 320x320
>>61521805
>Hit to death >1 vote
>Tele Surg >0 votes
>Miley Cyrus >5 votes
>>
>>61526346
>>Tele Surg >0 votes
Just because Scruffy says so, doesn't make it true you drone
>>
>>61526432
its not as good as clouds or soft bullet but its better than the rest.
>>
>>61526517
Nah.
>>
>>61526544
k
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.