[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Artists that need to retire thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9
Artists that need to retire thread
>>
who is that slayer?
They could probably tour for the rest of their life on the classics then retire
>>
Did you actually listen to the new album? It's better than anything they had released since Seasons in the Abyss.
>>
Anthrax doesn't need to retire ya numb nuts
>>
File: DSC013411.jpg (40 KB, 519x640) Image search: [Google]
DSC013411.jpg
40 KB, 519x640
>>
i stopped listening after Toxicity
>>
>>61513804
rivers should become a producer and write music for pop sluts
>>
>>61513804
He should have retired after the first album he wrote.
>>
Lil Wayne
Jay z
Most rappers
>>
Feminem
>>
Jeff Magnum
>>
smash mouth
>>
Chuck Berry. Holy mother of God...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxixIbONuCQ
>>
>>61514076
Damn Phil Cosby should had stayed as a guitarist he would get 2x the pussy instead of being a predator rapist
>>
>>61514076
Damn. I hope he dies before he keeps embarassing himself even more
>>
BB King was definitely better than Chuck in the later years. He could at least still play and also had his voice right to the end even if he couldn't match his 1965 level.
>>
>>61514076
>89 years old
>still playing gigs
he'll be fine
>>
>>61514414
he once told a woman to smell his fart
>>
>>61514467
Chuck still insists on playing while standing; if he sat down in a chair, it might be easier for him. You note that BB King always played seated in his later years.
>>
Frank Sinatra on his final tour was pretty horrible to watch.
>>
Pete Seegar I understand by the his last years had to have a children's choir on stage singing because he had no voice left and sounded like George C. Scott.
>>
>>61514570
My dad saw him at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh on his final tour and he said it was pretty bad for the most part. The teleprompters were so huge you could read them halfway across the concert hall and Frank would repeatedly mangle lyrics or try and fail to hit certain notes. There were times when he still had it; my dad recalled that he nailed Fly Me To The Moon and New York, New York.
>>
>>61514537
link to the video?
>>
>>61513785
That picture's of Destruction idiot
>>
>>61514546
Or better still, Chuck should just take up permanent residence in his home turf in St. Louis like Les Paul did in his later years when he played weekly gigs at the Iridium Club. The fact that he's still doing globetrotting tours at almost 90 has gotta be draining as hell.

It must be hard to do all that at an advanced age especially knowing what you used to be 40-50 years ago and knowing it'll probably be a little worse every night.

The killing part is that this is the only life Chuck knows - any memories of being a normal schlub who played gigs by night and worked blue collar jobs by day are so far in the past that they may as well have been on another planet altogether.
>>
>>61513840
Pinkerton is great, you fucking whore
>>
File: slayer_god-hates-us-all_front.jpg (41 KB, 781x771) Image search: [Google]
slayer_god-hates-us-all_front.jpg
41 KB, 781x771
>>61513784
God Hates Us All is their best 21st century album though, and their all time angriest (Says a-lot considering they are a punk-thrash band)
>>
>>61513784
Their last album was absolutely garbage. Anthrax is probably the only one out of the US Big 4 that still manages to be decent.
>>
>>61514926
In a lot of cases you go to see a legend, not necessarily for excellent musicianship. It was an honor to see Les Paul still going out there every Monday night and playing as good as he was able to at 90 years old with painful arthritis and blown hearing that would cause him to mistake a B note for a C and whatnot.
>>
>>61515159
Too much Korn influence for me.
>>
File: Megadeth-Dystopia.jpg (304 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Megadeth-Dystopia.jpg
304 KB, 1024x1024
>>61515182
*Cough*
>>
>>61515217
Compared to their prime, it's a tame album. However it wasn't really bad, so you've got a point.
>>
>>61515205
Les and BB King still had more musicianship in their 80s than Chuck Berry does now. He doesn't even play anything that sounds like music anymore (once in a while a recognizable lick comes through). More like a 5 year old banging on a guitar.
>>
>>61515212
*Slipknot
Still, it does not go full Edgy 2000's mode like most Nu-Metal bands, it still has some excellent riff and vocal works (The fucking screams, holy shit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQMiPM8U0QQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS0mQ25ezq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zRPiM3VMZw
>>
>>61513804
Eh he does what he does with inconsistent levels of decency, last album wasn't so bad and showcases his "quirkiness" (aka "pleb-ness") in the most positive light it could have.
>>
>>61514793
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87UNg2jlxA
>>
>>61514076
wow this is legit sad
>>
>>61515205
Yeh once you're a legend, people will literally pay money for your used socks and undergarments just because you wore them. Salvador Dali in his later years would often start the day by drawing something, usually a small, black-and-white abstract picture, and say "It feels good to make an easy $10,000 before breakfast."
>>
>>61514926
Most people don't have depression, he's probably happy
>>
>>61515281
My dad saw Ravi Shenkar on his final tour when he was like 92 and he was playing faster, tighter, and with more precision than Chuck is now. Anyone's gonna lose some ability at that age, but it takes an exceptional level of fail to get as bad as the video I linked.
>>
>>61514076
I wonder if he's still a piss drinking , shit eating pedophile
>>
>>61515449
Nowadays he probably needs a nurse to feed him his morning cup of teenage girl urine.
>>
>>61515366
Dali's later years were fucked up. His wife had Alzheimer's and accidentally gave him incorrect meds so he damaged his nervous system and lost the use of one hand. Later on, he made a couple of suicide attempts by purposely starving himself. His house also burned down and a lot of his artworks were lost - some people suspect that he set the fire on purpose.
>>
Hey, BB King always said he was going to die on stage like a lot of old bluesmen.
>>
>>61515294
So I'm listening to Slayer's last four albums again. I'll give you a more comprehensive review later, but from where I am now (Cast Down) the songs feel rushed: ideas change too quickly and climaxes come too soon. The album would have probably been better off if it were eight five-minute long tracks than thirteen three-minute jingles.
>>
>>61515717
Yeah I know about guys like Champion Jack Dupree, but then again most of them were still performing into their dotage because they needed money. BB King wasn't exactly poor in his later years.

Also Chuck Berry is worth about $10 million which isn't huge, but more than enough to comfortably live on.
>>
>>61515217
>>61515182
Neither Megadeth nor Anthrax managed to be any good after the early 90s. The same is true of Exodus and Testament.
>>
>>61515719
I think that's made on purpose, 8-10 minutes of pure anger gets stale, that's why Hardcore Punk songs are very short, same thing for some earlier Slayer records, Reign in Blood was filled with fast, punching tracks that don't go beyond 2-3 minutes (except for a few)
>>
>>61515596
He tends to get shit on rather unfairly because he was a hard right wing Catholic who dicksucked Franco so hard that you hear it from halfway across Europe. The media and art Bohemians love Picasso because he was a self described commie atheist who said he wouldn't go anywhere near Spain as long as Franco breathed.
>>
>>61515824
>I think that's made on purpose, 8-10 minutes of pure anger gets stale

Metallica were able to pull it off back when they could come up with enough material for an 8 minute track which was not St. Anger when they had 7-8 minute songs with only like 2-3 riffs in them.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (128 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
128 KB, 1024x1024
>>61515792
And here we go again with the 'HURR DURR WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE ONLY THRASH ALBUMS FOR THEIR WHOLE LIFES AMIRITE XDDXDXDXXDXDDX UBVOAT PLS !'
Experimenting with music is a wise choice, specially after releasing a ground breaking record
Sure, you don't appreciate the hard work behind the alternative albums, well go back to listening to their older stuff, or listen to other bands who stayed TRVE TO THE METALLUM KVLT !!!1
>>
>>61515824
Reign in Blood flowed well. Each track led into the next and did its job in building the intensity of the overall sound leading to the climax. No track really felt like filler. Maybe the sheer boredom felt during Exile and Seven Faces was a strategic move to make Bloodline sound more significant. If it is, I don't like it.
>>
>>61515947
Experimenting with music isn't bad, but releasing really shitty albums is bad.
And look at slayer, they're still making thrash and it's shit.
>>
>>61513804
if he woulda hung himself after pinkerton he woulda been a legend man

a legend
>>
>>61515952
>Reign in Blood flowed well
As much as I love that album, I gotta deny that, each track has a completely unique flow, it starts off explosive with Angel of death, then goes full Hardcore Punk mode with Necrophobic, Criminally insane is too slow and groovy for this, even if the later riffs and vocals are quit fast, the only real flow is the Post-Mortem/Raining Blood one
>>61515921
Kill 'Em All is their only true ''''''''angry'''''' album, and it's not even that angry, second angriest one is Justice for all, but it sterile production and lack of heaviness to the click click drums and guitar works kills it
>>
>>61514759
>>61514570
I knew someone who saw Ella Fitzgerald's final tour and they had to cart her out on stage in a wheelchair, but man, she could still belt it like nobody's business.
>>
>>61516086
>and it's not even that angry, second angriest one is Justice for all, but it sterile production and lack of heaviness to the click click drums and guitar works kills it

Strangely, Lars said that a lot of people tell him Justice was their best album especially the younger generation of metal fans who'd probably find stuff like Kill Em All too antiquated.
>>
>>61516157
Lars is the shithead that lowered AJFA's bass, he's probably lying.
>>
>>61516157
The riffing and rumming overshadow is many, many flaws
I can only imagine how good AJFA would be with a warm, 'alive' feel like Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets
>>
>>61515217
>>61515266
Huh? Has it leaked?
>>
>>61516380
The tracks availabe for now promise a lot
>>
>>61515947
>there are people on /mu/ RIGHT NOW who vehemently defend Load
holy shit I must be getting too old for this website
>>
>>61516086
I would add the what felt like a half cadence between Altar of Sacrifice and Jesus Saves, and the sudden stop at the end of the latter that absolutely called for a mid-tempo solo drum lick with cymbals, but the flow of an album isn't dictated by the beginnings and ends of the tracks. It is as I said the building of intensity.
>>
>>61516432
It is a god-tier rock album
can't deny that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQnvHuzahP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNXmKiEqVx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFBbOHohwR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoQHRyh03_8
>>
>>61516260
I heard that that was because James's guitar tone ended up on the same frequency as the bass so they just had to turn it all the way down. As for the typewriter key-sounding drums, the sound engineer who worked on Justice claimed that "Lars made me adjust the drumming track until we got that clickty-clack noise because that's how he liked it."
>>
>>61516491
it's 80 minutes of dudes from socal playing southern buttrock
>>
Just watch live versions of the songs from the 89 tour; they're a million times better than the album.
>>
>>61516536
NorCal actually. And yeah, James is a country-fried hick who's always had a little bit of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Ted Nugent in him.
>>
>>61516525
The album wouldn't lack so much low end if that was the case though.
>>
File: 1.jpg (99 KB, 800x579) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
99 KB, 800x579
>>
File: cover.jpg (438 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
438 KB, 1000x1000
>>61516443
>building of intensity
With tracks like Angel of Death, Necrophobic and Epidemic to end with quite chaotic but Underwhelming Raining Blood (The only thing that make it feel as powerful as it is is the atmospheric intro and Post-Mortem's sinister riff and Aray's scream)Reign in Blood feels like having the wank of you life to get distracted by your dog and end up cumming to him
>pic related, a more dynamic and healthy Punk Thrash album
>>
>>61516626
Since when does Mick play an instrument? Or is it just a prop like the guitars that Anthony Kiedis used to carry around.
>>
>>61516626
Their '15 summer tour was pretty good, they were playing well for the most part and if you sat far enough away that you couldn't see his face, you'd think Mick is still in his 40s. Keith though is strictly ornamental at this point.
>>
>>61516708
>mfw Keef trying to play the shredder solos in SFTD with his knobby fingers
>>
>>61516626
>all three of them have regular six string guitars
So who the fuck is playing bass?
>>
>>61516708
The Stones' recent tours have gotten shorter but also less predictable with slightly more varied setlists.
>>
>>61516864
They are also Telecasters
>>
>>61513752
all of them, music is gay hahahah
>>
>>61515060
he didnt say otherwise...
>>
paul mccartney
>>
>>61517230
>>61516864
yeah doesn't Ronnie Wood double as both a lead guitarist and a bassist?
>>
>>61515281
>mfw you looked up the lyrics to Maybellene and realized what he's really singing about

That is lewd stuff, man.
>>
>>61515947
explain why you like load please
>>
>>61516626
Nahh m8 they still put on great 2 hour shows for a bunch of 70 years olds - Keefs the weak link at this point tho

>>61516864
Daryl Jones is on bass not pictured
>>
File: keef-fag-fingers-441x295.jpg (37 KB, 441x295) Image search: [Google]
keef-fag-fingers-441x295.jpg
37 KB, 441x295
>>61519593
>Nahh m8 they still put on great 2 hour shows for a bunch of 70 years olds - Keefs the weak link at this point tho

Yeh.

>dem hands
>>
>>61513804
It nothing else, Everything Will Be Alright In The End turned out to be alright in the end.
>>
>>61519593
Mick's a lifelong /fit/fag in no small part because his father was a gym instructor.
>>
Eminem
>>
Found this from a forum post.

"After attending a BB King show where he spent the better part of 30 minutes bantering the crowd and not playing a single note, someone finally yelled 'Hey BB, play your guitar!' to which he replied 'It may not look like it, but I have a knife underneath this tuxedo.'"
>>
>>61518131
Not that guy but Load is better than the Black Album.
>>
everybody in Yes
>>
>>61515217

that's shit
>>
>>61515060
Pinkerton was 20 years ago.
>>
>>61523442
You haven't heard jon anderson recently then. He is scarey good still.
>>
>>61523559
>jon anderson
>the only member of the band

also I haven't heard him because he isnt fucking in the band anymore
>>
>>61523403
I guess a lot of people would be surprised at that when they're used to thinking of him as a benevolent grandfatherly figure, but when he was getting his start as a young man in the 40s-50s, he had to play in some pretty rough, seedy clubs. The blues scene wasn't exactly family friendly in those days.
>>
File: c86.jpg (34 KB, 600x342) Image search: [Google]
c86.jpg
34 KB, 600x342
>>61516644
>underwhelming raining blood

also what the fuck is up with Christ Illusion?
>>
>>61513903

Epic
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.