[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain how IS NOT the greatest rapper of all time.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: Eminem.png (444 KB, 460x620) Image search: [Google]
Eminem.png
444 KB, 460x620
Good luck.
>>
>>61482331
He's pretty much an example of not the way with toaster.
>>
because he is
>>
There are no 'great' rappers. It is not a great genre. As a rapper, the best you can be is 'good', which is still mediocre compared to other genres. You can be good at something that is generally considered poor, and that doesn't make you great.

So, I guess that explains it. Most rappers are on the same level. They are all good at being bad.

Next question?
>>
He's technically good, but not emotionally interesting. He's the hip-hop equivalent of Joe Satriani, or another one of those guitar-widdlers.
>>
>le talking fast

Nothing great about that
>>
>>61482331
His flow isn't as good as some other rappers, and he keeps using le fast rapper gimmick.

Also, the whole
>muh started from the bottom now I'm here
>hard 4 me in the rap game cos I'm white trash and not black
Schtick is the fucking worst thing you can buy into and if you do you're a fucking child
>>
I don't think any of his albums have very interesting sounds or compelling lyrics
>>
>>61482331
lack of artistic growth. Such wasted potential for what he could've become after the early 2000s. The Eminen Show was the beginning of the end.
>>
i can't stand his whiny tone + voice
>>
>>61482458

Ignorant opinions.

>>61482494

Confirmed for not listening to anything prior to Recovery

>>61482509

He literally did it in 2 recent songs for fun, big deal...

>>61482511

>flow isnt as good as other rappers

Listen to SSLP, MMLP, TES and 8 Mile soundtrack, buddy.

>>61482525

Listen to his first three and you'll change your mind.

>>61482528

No, Recovery was. Encore/Relapse were mostly good.
>>
>>61482331
Chuck D exists.
>>
>>61482572

His voice is great... Idk wtf you're talking about.
>>
>>61482331
because he is white
>>
he is without a doubt top 5 of all time, best is debatable desu.

only morons hate on em, hes a legend with 3 classics
>>
>>61482574
Who else is listening to this in 2016?? :)
>>
most rappers rap about bad things like hoes and drugs and money and violence

i like eminem because he raps about good things like hoes and drugs and money and killing your wife and masturbating and shooting the president

also his skin color is very non-threatening to me
>>
>>61482574
>Listen to his first three and you'll change your mind.

I have listened to those albums hundreds of times in grade school. I'm not insulting you by saying that, just saying that I'm very familiar with his earlier albums in particular and the whole edgy lyrics with the occasional heartfelt sentiment and lots of slapstick sounds in the background doesn't do anything for me anymore.

It's just a matter of opinion. There's literally no reason you can't consider someone your favorite musician and be okay with other people disliking them.
>>
>>61482603
Rakim
Kool Keith
Chuck D
Kool G Rap
MF DOOM

I just named five rappers from the same decade that should be recognized as more significant than him
>>
>>61482619

So you're claiming they're not interesting at all...yet you listened to them hundreds of times?

That means they were at least somewhat interesting or you wouldn't have replayed them.

Great logic. Also, they all got rave reviews and are seen as objective classics for a reason. Very little to critique there, they're VERY creative, introspective at times, great social commentary and satire and honestly some of the best in hip-hop.
>>
>>61482574
>Ignorant opinions

Evidence?
>>
>>61482619
>you can't consider someone your favorite musician and be okay with other people disliking them.

this is /mu/

no compromises
>>
>>61482647

>You can be good at something that is generally considered poor, and that doesn't make you great

You're clearly either baiting or stupid and haven't listened to enough rap.

Listen, I don't even like that much rap, it's my least listened to genre besides pop but there are some great ones you just have to find them. Eminem is easily one of the best for a reason. He is very lyrically talented and showcases to many normies that oh okay, there are some skilled rappers.

Rap isn't a "dumb" genre, it's a very aware and smart genre at times. Yes, there are bangers but it has its place and I respect it even though its not my thing for the most part.

But saying it takes barely any talent/is poor is stupid. Just try listening to Eminem, Kendrick, Nas or 2Pac and get back to me about how "poor" it is, friend.
>>
>>61482644
Alright bud. I loved them when I was 12. That doesn't mean I find them interesting now. I don't. And THAT doesn't mean I have a problem with you finding them interesting.

I think he's a talented guy and I would consider those first few albums to be good, but saying he's one of the greatest rappers, let alone the GOAT, is ridiculous.
>>
>>61482674
Eminem
>LOL MICHAEL JACKSON HEHE I HATE MY WIFE FUCK KIM FUCK BUSH HEHE LE LITTLE GIMMICKS

Kendrick
>LE FUNNY ACCENT, LE OPRESSED PEOPLE

Nas
>LE ONE GOOD ALBUM

2pac
>LE VOICE OF GENERATION, LE SO SMART AND BEFORE HIS TIME, LE FUCK THE GOVERNMENT
>>
In a nutshell, yes Eminem fell off compared to his early material, that goes without saying... however I do think people are a tad harsh on him and his recent work wasn't awful in the least. A bit more mainstream and not perfect but it had some great moments as well. (Bad Guy, Don't Front, Going Through Changes, Deja Vu come to mind)

He will always be remembered for his early work as it was a great social and political commentary and it changed the music industry as we know it. He wasn't afraid to push buttons and it really was amazing to see how people took an interest in his life & music. He showcased his darkness and humor on SSLP and MMLP and then showed off how he was dealing with fame on TES. It was brilliant and lyrically amazing not to mention the great flows and storytelling.

People can hate on new Eminem all they want but old Eminem was without a doubt, one of the best, if not THE best rapper of all time and he will remembered as such when he retires/passes away. That's not even mentioning his great personality, kind and humble heart and sense of humor. He's very good to his fans too and his donated lots of money and even flew out to visit a fan with cancer.

Great guy. A legend without a doubt. Been a fan for 10 years and will always get the odd listen. I listen to lots of other genres but Eminem really is great.
>>
>>61482644
Something doesn't have to be interesting to engage you, cock-womble.
>>
>>61482331
he's just the edgy white boy version of pharoahe monch.
>>
if ur white u cant rap everyone knows that
>>
File: you irl tbh.png (170 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
you irl tbh.png
170 KB, 367x500
>>61482458
>Next question?
>>
>>61482686

I don't see how seeing him as the GOAT/one of the GOATs is ridiculous, most rappers count him up there. Even if he fell off, it doesn't matter when he made such great material. You can only be in your prime for so long.
>>
>>61482720

>cherrypicking this hard
>>
>>61482751
Like I said, I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me and it really just comes down to personal preference and bickering about that is ridiculous. Jay-Z and Kanye are also considered GOAT rappers by most and I dislike them as well. Out of the three I'd say I like Eminem the best. He has impressive technical skill, that's undeniable, and I understand why people like him. His music is very smart in some ways and stupid fun in others. I just don't find anything in there that compels me to spend a lot of time listening to him or any reason for great praise.
>>
>>61482458
This is true, I usually give rap/hip hop albums 3/5 the rating I would for other material. IE 10/10 in the rap genre is a 6/10 comparatively.
>>
>>61482720
Okay this is bait now.
>>
kendrick
nas
eminem
rakim
2pac
>>
>>61482859
Absolute shit apart from Kendrick and Rakim - yes I do mean Nas too, Illmatic is one of the most underwhelming albums I've ever heard
>>
Yall need to distinguish yaselfs between a rapper and a hip hop artist.

Eminem is one of the best, most talented, most skilled, fastest, most complex (at times), rappers of all time.

HOWEVER, that does not make him the best hip hop artist in any way. Some would say Kendrick Lamar is a better hip hop artists than Eminem, most wouldn't say he was a better rapper.
>>
File: deathdeathdeathdeath.jpg (277 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
deathdeathdeathdeath.jpg
277 KB, 1920x1080
>MC Rides lyrics are modern masterpieces but the newfags on /mu/ think
>lmao memerap
>Weren't around during TMS, NLDW, or GP
>Have yet to sit down and read the lyrics while listening to the music
>Say shit like Eminem, Kendrick, Kanye are the best rappers of all time

Come up and get me.
>>
He has about 4/5 decent songs, the rest is all pure gimmick pop shit. His later releases have been almost offensive in there poor quality.

He was just lucky to come out at a time when MTV was extremely popular and his trashy white shtick caught the public zeitgeist.

Whilst he knows which words rhyme, his songs are just 3 minute long gimmicks. The musical equivalent of "Sharknado".

And Kendricks music is fucking unbearably boring, to everyone who brought his name up in this thread. Even his name is a snoozefest.
>>
People who listen to eminem religiously are the same people with "Monster Energy" tattoos and shirts that don't fit them. Flame shirt dudes.

I don't give a fuck about his mother or daughter or wife, I don't give a fuck about his died hair or shock jock attention whore lyrics etc - there is just nothing of any value here worthing delving into.
>>
guys, we can all be better. I'm calling this thread to make the most incredible rap song of all time. Here are your resources: www.rhymezone.com/nigga
>>
>>61482635
Better I could accept but significant couldn't be more wrong. Eminem has done more for rap than anybody to date. He literally could not be more significant. Whether his influence is good or bad is debatable.
>>
>>61484629
what has changed though really? Rap music is about trap these days, something far removed from anything eminem was ever associated with...
>>
>>61482829
pretty accurate, but there are some exceptions imo.
Pharcyde - Bizzare ride II for example is at least a 7.5/10
>>
>>61482908
>Illmatic is one of the most underwhelming albums I've ever heard
lol
>>
>>61485870
It's just not interesting. Like Mobb Deep.
>>
>>61485906
>shook ones pt.2 and NY state of mind
>2 of the best hip hop songs ever made, if not the best
>just not interesting
ok buddy
>>
>>61486005
Also extremely fucking boring.

Both talented MCs, but their actual skill in terms of beats is weak.
>>
File: pipe-fedora.jpg (66 KB, 750x751) Image search: [Google]
pipe-fedora.jpg
66 KB, 750x751
>>61482458
>next question?
>>
Biggie, Big L, Rakim, Nas, Kendrick, KRS, most of the Wu-Tang, DOOM are all better than Em.
>>
3 Stacks.
>>
>>61486043
Listen to the beats on Mobb Deep's "The Infamous" album, they are absolutely sublime.

Regarding the thread though yes Eminem is pure cringe meme personified.

>Le rapping quickly
>Le rap god
>Le dysfunctional upbringing/american idol story
>Le drugs
>Le swears

so much cringe
>>
>>61486698
I think Eminem is dogshit but KRS one is fucking awful. All of his music since 1990 has been borderline unlistenable.

>spiritual lyrical miracle
> we wuz kingz
>>
>>61486793
It's like he was destined for every 13 year old barnyard hick kid alienated from black people to resonate with him
>>
Eminem was cool to listen to when I was prepubescent but the guy is in his 40s, at this stage it's just embarrassing.
>>
politics of a white rapper aside, eminem is a technically great mc who put out damn good records back in the day, regardless of how bad he fell off eventually. not everyone likes him, but most mcs and hip hop fans respect him. I wouldn't call him or any other "the greatest", but he belongs on the list.
>>
A lyricist without a clue, what year is this?
Fuck a needle here's a sword, body pierce with this
Living amok, never giving a fuck
Gimme the keys
I'm drunk and I've never driven a truck
But I smoke dope in a cab
I'll stab you with the sharpest knife I can grab
Come back the next week and re-open your scab
A killer instinct runs in the blood
Emptying full clips and burying guns in the mud
I've calmed down now I was heavy once into drugs
I could walk around straight for two months with a buzz
My brain's gone
My soul's worn and my spirit is torn
The rest of my body's still being operated on
I'm ducked the fuck down while I'm writing this rhyme
Cause I'm probably gonna get struck with lightning this time
>>
>>61482574
oh my god this guy is serious

>>>/reddit/
>>
I dont know why people hate on MMLP,it even got a 7.5 from Scaruffi who hates hip hop.
Eminem is great lyrically and his flow is always on point,
>>
File: Infinite_(1996),_by_Eminem.png (1 MB, 1024x1015) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_(1996),_by_Eminem.png
1 MB, 1024x1015
infinite is his finest work
>>
>>61482331
He doesn't produce and mix his own material i.e. Jonathan Mathis.
>>
>>61488350
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>61488585
he does produce

see: eminem show
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.