[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
man why do internet forums have to be so negative i just want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9
File: OBIqaes.jpg (7 KB, 200x195) Image search: [Google]
OBIqaes.jpg
7 KB, 200x195
man why do internet forums have to be so negative
i just want a chill forum where i can discuss music and memes without anyone freaking out and getting mad or acting like an asshole to show off how cool he thinks his opinion is
>>
humans are naturally combative
>>
>>61476346

Those places exist but you don't know about them so they won't be ruined
>>
>>61476484
truth
>>
>>61476484
ilxor? that sites pretty good but it's really slow
>>
>>61476346
this is the only negative place. reddit, hypebeast, p4k, and ktt are all very positive about music for the most part.
>>
>>61476346
sounds like reddit
democrazy fucks with that place hard though
>>
Do you want a shallow fake atmoshphere where everyone at least puts on a nice mask and jerks each other off, or do you want an open discussion where everyone tells it how it is. Pick reddit or 4chan
>>
>>61476346
>acting like an asshole to show off how cool he thinks his opinion is

That's music fans in a nutshell. And it's not unique to /mu/ or the Internet.

See: High Fidelity and Empire Records.
>>
>>61476612
4chan people are rude for no reason, redditors have no sense of humor
>>
>>61476612
>everyone tells it how it is
People are dishonest here all the time. If not most of the time. And it's done for even dumber reasons.
>>
>>61476649
You're right, but you can't have everything.
>>
File: yank bant tier.jpg (166 KB, 1025x819) Image search: [Google]
yank bant tier.jpg
166 KB, 1025x819
>>61476346

>man why do internet forums have to be so negative

Stop being such a burgerburger you yank cunt.
>>
>>61476612
>Do you want a shallow fake atmoshphere where everyone at least puts on a nice mask

This board puts on a "mean mask" for pretty much the same shallow reasons: to fit in, be "cool," etc. It's entertaining, sure, but /mu/ doesn't have any "authentic" high-ground in this case.

And when you step back and think about it, arguing about music (or any artform) is pointless.

Note: Discussion=/=arguing.
>>
>>61476443
>>61476612
Being civil is not fake, there's literally no reason to be a dick about other people's music tastes as much as /mu/ does. The majority of this board is not music sharing and discussion, but rather memes and insulting people.
>>
>>61476741

>arguing about literature and philosophy
>pointless

It literally gave us the Socratic method of reasoning. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
File: Swimmers.png (1 MB, 1207x613) Image search: [Google]
Swimmers.png
1 MB, 1207x613
>>61476697

>Bongs
>Handling banter

>Sam Brown, a former Oxford Student, was out celebrating his finals when he approached a mounted police officer and said "Excuse me, do you realise your horse is gay?"

>Shortly thereafter, two Thames Valley Police squad cars appeared and Mr Brown was arrested for making homophobic remarks, under the Public Order Act.
>>
>>61476741
>This board puts on a "mean mask" for pretty much the same shallow reasons: to fit in, be "cool," etc. It's entertaining, sure, but /mu/ doesn't have any "authentic" high-ground in this case.

I don't agree at all, everyone on /mu/ is anonymous, and one of the biggest characteristics of 4chan is the total free association
>>
>>61476789
There's a difference between discussing or debating and arguing. Comparing /mu/'s caliber of discussion to philosophical debate is bait.
>>
>>61476552
interesting site, who uses it? what's the appeal?
>>
>>61476813
That's bullshit. We even have universally agreed "hivemind" choices.
>>
>>61476741
>arguing about music (or any artform) is pointless.
wew
>>
>>61476842
i think it's mostly filled with aging hipsters, and it's old as fuck so you can find cool discussion on old topics. like you can find people discussing the white belts antioch arrow scene and stuff
>>
>>61476649
>rude for no reason
>not understanding irony

lomo
>>
>>61476781
I think the problem isn't /mu/, it's coming on /mu/, being oversensitive, and taking everything way too seriously. Certain types of people probably interpret shitposts as serious cyber violence or something, I mean I'm an infp and I never even take things here personally
>>
seriously, people who unironically prefer /mu/ to some decent, relatively obscure subreddits on reddit have ADHD
>>
File: whoa.jpg (579 KB, 2158x3000) Image search: [Google]
whoa.jpg
579 KB, 2158x3000
>>61476346
To answer your question Op, 4chan as a whole is notorious for being packed with angsty teenagers and mentally ill adults. The most insecure people on the planet.

Insecure people need to feel special and valuable so they invest way too much emotional energy and identity into the media they consume in this example.

This board is packed with people who literally think that the sounds they enjoy make them better than other people. I've decided I'm really going to cut back on discussing the values of genres and artists and just use this board for sharing and picking up new music. The people here are fucking insufferable.
>>
>>61476789

Yep (moral philosophy notwithstanding).

What empirically verified foundation are you operating from that you can ground this so-called "reason" on?

Denying water freezes at a 0c is "unreasonable" because it's a proven fact of nature.

Artistic quality has no such objective foundation that would prove reasonableness either way. It's all a matter of opinion.
>>
>>61476901
It's not about taking it personally, it's just about wanting to discuss something you love without people being bitchy cunts about you liking something they don't like. It's not hurtful, it's irritating.
>>
>>61476904
Nice try, Reddit shill
>>
>>61476937
He's probably older than 17 and understands the obvious fact of reality that 4chan has a significantly younger average userbase than reddit.
>>
>>61476923

>What empirically verified foundation are you operating from that you can ground this so-called "reason" on?
>empirically verified

...What?

This was a new mode of inquiry that began in the Ancient World. We can't extricate ourselves from this line of thought now. It has been wholly integrated into the very mode of Western thought for millennia. The genesis of it is redundant at this point as is the demand for empiricism; it subsists regardless.
>>
>>61476934
That's just 4chan in general, it's open discussion the payoff to an open anonymous forum is people are usually funnier and more honest in their opinions. You can just put any idea out there regardless of how insensitive or autistic it is and get feedback almost immediately
>>
>>61476937
this place has been pretty fucking shit for the last few years and getting worse since moot left, when I figure out how reddit works i'll join some subreddits
>>
File: 41jQNpf-fRL.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41jQNpf-fRL.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
Listen to this album
>>
>>61477081
You're tied to a username, and there's a terrible voting system so everyone just circle jerks endlessly to get invisible points
>>
>>61477109
lmao
you'll get someone.
>>
Anyone else here thinking of migrating to normalfag internet? When I was a huge asshole with a fucked up life, I quarantined myself to 4chan and related sites. I'm thinking of going back but I'm afraid that the people I was a dick to will get in contact with me.
>>
I completely agree with OP. 4chan is chill, I like the music discussion and the humor but all the anger is unneeded
>>
>>61477109
popul vuh is *the* overrated krautband
>>
>>61477109
Popol Vuh is cool as fuck.
>>
>>61477072
4chan memes are way less funny starting after you graduate high school. I just want to find new good music and I really don't care that some faggot teenager doesn't approve of me liking music that is vaguely popular.
>>
>>61477147

lol this site was even angier in the past. you are just part of the newer generation that are practically reddit themselves anyway.
>>
>>61477114
>circle jerks endlessly
and 4chan inanely shitposts. you have to find middle ground on both sites. clearly you've never went on /r/letstalkmusic or /r/hhh where discussion doesn't revolve around shitposting and memes.
>>
>>61477146
I just use reddit and 4chan simultaneously. They have obvious pros and cons. I can't use either of them exclusively.
>>
File: 1444899503917.jpg (37 KB, 600x426) Image search: [Google]
1444899503917.jpg
37 KB, 600x426
>>61477153
>>
>>61477147
I'm pretty sure most people aren't legitimately angry
>>
>>61477192
Oh I mean like Facebook, Instagram, etc. It's hard to keep in contact with people when you don't have those.
>>
>>61477186
It's also pretty interesting that /pol/ and /mu/ are more of a circlejerk than many subreddits without a points system to facilitate it.
>>
File: 1449150570087.jpg (43 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
1449150570087.jpg
43 KB, 500x450
>>61476807

who cares neither of you soft cunt countries will ever bant harder than the fukken sickest cunt-ry on earth
>>
>>61477170
I graduated highschool and I still like it here, if you don't like it you don't have to come here. Do whatever you want man
>>
>>61477230
that's true, and i hate how people dismissively think all of reddit is insessant dogpiling and how 4chan is all shitposting
>>
>>61476840
>There's a difference between discussing or debating and arguing.

Yep.

>Discussion

- Exchanging theories/interpretations about lyrics mean.

- Exchanging theories/interpretations about what certain compositional/aesthetic choices might symbolize.

- Curious to see how other people liked/disliked an album

>Arguing

"Artist A always moved me more than Artist B."

"Lol. You dumb pleb liking Reddit-core shit!"

Granted, discussion can often devolve into "arguing" but it really is pointless. Why would I expect someone else to have the same exact feelings/response to an artist/album/composer that I had?

"Arguing" isn't bad because it's "mean," it's bad because it's a stupid fuckin' exercise in this case.

I do understand the irony behind it, since it can be funny to see people take music so seriously (anyone ever read the old Your Band Sucks feature on Something Awful?) but it's reached a point where it's become more irritating than entertaining.
>>
>>61477246
I do like it here sometimes but the amount of angsty and pretentious teenagers is really fucking irritating.
>>
File: 1444899822864.jpg (37 KB, 600x426) Image search: [Google]
1444899822864.jpg
37 KB, 600x426
>>61477153
>>
2011 was the best year for /mu/

oh it was glorious and hilarious
>>
>>61477180
Na, I've been visiting 4chan for a while though I'm not a regular user, Im just a normal dude but Im not into angsty anonymous internet shit
>>
>>61476840

>Comparing /mu/'s caliber of discussion to philosophical debate is bait.

Don't simplify what I was saying. Anon declared that debate over any artistic form was pointless. I cited an example proving that it wasn't. I never spoke about this board specifically.
>>
>>61477362
He actually made a purposeful distinction between debate and arguing.
>>
>>61477304
It gets really irritating if you've only been browsing mu for long periods of time nonstop, take a break and come back it'll feel like home again, autism and all
>>
>>61477384

Debate is a refined form of arguing. I cited an example that informed and legitimized it.

This is getting too semantics 2bh I'm over it.
>>
>>61477333
http://www.stereogum.com/911162/old-radiohead-demo-how-do-you-sit-stillputting-ketchup-in-the-fridge-unearthed/mp3s/

we wuz anonymous and sheeit
>>
>>61477362
>Anon declared that debate over any artistic form was pointless.

It still is.

Prove it's not.

Where does this "good artistic quality" exist in nature?

What kind of "facts" can you provide in support of deeming one piece of art being superior to another? Academic opinion? Critical opinion? Lmao.

End of the day, all you can really state with certainty is, "I like this better than that."
>>
>>61477403
I really just started using /mu/ a couple weeks ago. It's still irritating. I really just want to go in a thread and talk about music without elitist faggotry.

>>61477423
Arguing is more confrontational, that aspect is the irritating part. Music is a positive experience and one of the few enjoyable things in life, to be insulted by people who don't have the same taste as you is childish.
>>
its a new year
we can make /mu/ great again
>>
>>61477453
It is pointless, but people just like to argue, it's fun and cathartic. The problem is when people take their opinions way too seriously without any self awareness
>>
>>61477504
nothing good has happened since nu-moot took over
what makes you think there's still hope
>>
>>61476346
>memes
you're the problem. gtfo tbH
>>
>>61477460
Dude, I remember when I first browsed here I felt exactly the same way and I still do think actual elitism is stupid. Mu being overly elitist and autistic about music is part of it's charm though
>>
>>61477523
idk I just figure since there's nowhere else to go we might as well make this place nice

as we are the creators of the content, we control what we browse everyday
>>
>>61477554
>is part of the charm
exactly. there's nothing more funny than self-important people being flustered by amusing self-important elitists like CLT
>>
>>61477626
>we control what we browse everyday

not really, just enjoy mu for what it is or go on reddit
>>
>>61477423
>Debate is a refined form of arguing.

Why debate in this case? What is there to "win?" Or to "prove?"

Debate typically results in the synthesis of a thesis and antithesis that supposedly moves us closer to truth.

I agree that it's highly useful to constantly examine and re-examine our moral framework in the hope of moving toward a more flourishing (a concept that is subjective, as well. Your flourishing might not be mine) existence for all humans.

But aesthetics are on a completely different level of relative and abstract than morality.

If I say I like Artist A more than Artist B, what "facts" can you state that would convince me otherwise and "win" the debate for you?

You can't state any, because aesthetics aren't grounded in the "factual." Truth is relative in this case.

And why should I care that someone thinks my favorite artist sucks? Why is this worth "debating?"
>>
>>61477516
>It is pointless, but people just like to argue, it's fun and cathartic.

And I completely agree with that.
>>
>>61477453

>What kind of "facts" can you provide in support of deeming one piece of art being superior to another? Academic opinion? Critical opinion? Lmao.

Someone who is discerning and critical in their appreciation of art and thought only gets there by creating a nuanced personal sensibility for themselves that is a synthesis of all the thought and opinion they've explored prior. Academics and scholars dedicate entire lives to putting forward finely-crafted opinion so you would do well to study them and not write them off completely if you ever want to approach something close to being well-read.

Resonance is subjective, yes, but that doesn't mean you can skip over ever becoming erudite and still think yourself cultured.
>>
>>61477684
We kind of do, because people make threads
>>
what's it like going from reddit to 4chan?
i bet you think this is the worst place in the world or it blows your mind.
>>
File: 1369812146082.jpg (41 KB, 250x317) Image search: [Google]
1369812146082.jpg
41 KB, 250x317
>>61477696

>I agree that it's highly useful to constantly examine and re-examine our moral framework
>But aesthetics are on a completely different level of relative and abstract than morality.

They overlap constantly why are you being this stupid? Please stop.
>>
>>61477776
But you can't control what other people post, shitposters going to shitpost, and that's alright
>>
>>61477839
People who browse both are worse than those who only browse one or the other
>>
>>61476346
the problem is too many people have shit opinions
>>
>>61476905
someone gets it
>>
>>61477768
>finely-crafted opinion

Still not a "fact."
>>
Well I enjoy this board and i'm glad i get to spend time with you people
>>
>tfw no one to talk about music with in real life and also you cuddle with eachother
>>
>>61478190
<3 u anon
>>
>>61478174

>Still not a "fact."

Of course it isn't you witless spergtron.

It's pathos.
>>
>>61478462
>It's pathos

Because they (scholars and critics) wasted their lives and an obscene amount of time on something so silly?

I can ag
>>
>>61476346
Kill yourself
>>
One day you will die, and return to your true self floating in an eternal void, you really dreamt up reality and you reminiscence about /mu/ and all the anonymous people that you used too spend time with shitposting and arguing with, they were all just reflections of you, but you still miss them all, the painful loneliness and feels become so strong that you fall asleep and create a new reality in which sound is 4 dimensional but you'll never be able to post about it on /mu/ because that reality is over forever.
>>
>>61478501

You're not very bright, me lad.
>>
>>61478590
or maybe my ashes will just fly from the aeroplane over the sea instead
>>
>>61476346
this is why I don't come here that much anymore. /sp/ is far more fun tbqh.
>>
>>61476905
fucking this
>>
>>61478794

I know what you meant.

Pathos still isn't a factual proof of anything.
>>
>>61476905
Yessah
And the main reason it will never change is because people will either just ignore the bullshit or contribute to it, the loudest are often the most narrow minded
>>
>>61476346
why are you such a lil bitch
>>
These sorts of places tend to be hiveminds.
>>
>>61478506
after you
>>
>>61476346
Because there are shills actively combating kindness and good vibes.
>>
>>61477170
I didn't even find /mu/ memes that funny when I was 15

Like I still have some Death Grips shit from 2010-11 and I honestly wonder why I thought that stuff was funny

Pepe and all the /pol/ memes are hilarious though

/mu/ is honestly just one of the worst boards
>>
>>61476346
>what is RYM
>>
>>61476649
that's just how 4chan is

don't take it seriously because the "rude" people sure as hell don't.
>>
>>61480761
very few /mu/ memes are funny anymore, except the damn... one, that one gives me a good laugh sometimes

and
>/mu/ is one of the worst boards
>what is /b/, /mlp/, /r9k/, /pol/, /tv/
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.