[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is cool in the metal and hardcore scenes to suddenly hate moshing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6
File: l1.jpg (99 KB, 600x407) Image search: [Google]
l1.jpg
99 KB, 600x407
Why is cool in the metal and hardcore scenes to suddenly hate moshing?
>>
because moshing is seen as macho agression and macho ain't cool no more
>>
Core and scene kids ruined it
>>
probably SJWs fault
>>
>>61473773

You can't blame the newer generations. You don't get to control where the sound goes for them.
>>
>>61473766
100%
>>
>black guy

I wish there were more black people in the punk/hardcore scene
>>
Because a bunch of assholes in the 'hardcore' scene decided to invent hardcore dancing which tainted moshing forever.

>go to Warped a few years back (fuck you, thats why)
>get there early as shit
>11 am, go to see Upon a Burning Body (fuck you again)
>literally(not figuratively) as soon as I get into the crowd get elbowed in the throat, full force, by hardcore dancer
>entire day spent barely being able to breathe
>>
>>61473773
This
>>
>>61473766

>and macho ain't cool no more

he says as trap music is absolutely massive these days. aggressive music is incredibly popular in the mainstream still. possibly even more than it was in the 90s.

the truth is the sound just got old. try 2 cope.
>>
>>61473934
You deserved it for going to warped 2bh f4m. Shit is literally underage coachella/ bonnaroo.
>>
>>61473732

It's lame. You have people that attend shows just to kick the shit out of people. These are the same dickheads that grope women. A bunch of overly manly dicksnots.
>>
>>61473976
Aggressive and macho aren't interchangeable in this context. One is talking about sound the other about attitude.
Also
>sound just got old
What? We're talking about moshing, not hardcore music in general
>>
tfw I listen to heavy music and still don't understand why people would want to run around tackling each other during a concert.
>>
>>61474037

>Aggressive and macho aren't interchangeable in this context. One is talking about sound the other about attitude.

both could easily be conflated here. don't try to play the pedant you are shit at it.
>>
>>61474008
Most of the bands are shit, I'll give you that, but I just went to have fun for the most part. Only bands Warped ever had that were anywhere near redeemable was shit like After the Burial, Born of Osiris (before they went to shit) A Lot Like Birds, and Rise to Remain (Bruce Dickinson's kid's band)
>>
>>61473976
*white macho isn't cool anymore

Black macho music is perfectly cool right now.
>>
>>61473925

What shithole do you live in where there isn't?
>>
File: 1370836365373.png (196 KB, 352x349) Image search: [Google]
1370836365373.png
196 KB, 352x349
>>61474067

>still don't understand why people would want to run around tackling each other during a concert.

the first rule of fight club is never talk about fight club
>>
>>61474031
Moshing isn't about machismo, dicklips. Never has been.
>>
>>61474117
>I swear I'm not obsessed
>>
>>61473766
*Being a tryhard ain't cool

FIFY
>>
Woman here. its hard enough being short and not being able to see anything i dont want to have to worry about being roundhouse kicked by sweaty guys who are trying to impress their friends. i am sure there are guys here who also just want to enjoy the show regardless of what band is playing. by the way not talking about huge concerts with the massive moshpits.
>>
>>61474117

this is more about rock music simply going out of style than anything else.
>>
>>61474203
:^)
>>
>>61474203
T .b.h they'll try to grope you way before they'll ever try to kick you fäm.
>>
>>61474203

>Woman here.

stop feeling the need to caveat your posts with this even when you go on to speak about issues that equally apply for men too. what is the point?
>>
I think you live near too many white people.
Here in LA people still mosh at thrash, hardcore, death metal, grindcore, psychobilly, and skacore shows.
>>
>>61473732
I don't think people hate moshing as much as people hate hate moshing. It's one thing to get into the song and throw down, but people have issues with people who are going to shows to have a ticket to beat people up for free.

This is also a perfect time with people speaking up about women and respecting them at shows. Since girls would be getting hit randomly.

But I also think that a lot of people realize moshing can be pretty goofy. idk hardcore is lame to me.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peFZKe9j-AM
>>
>>61474137
2 hours from the nearest major city
>>
>>61474288
She obviously think guys don't have the same problem.

She also doesn't know to push people away if she's near a pit
>>
>>61473732
Personally I think it's a good way for people to get out aggression in a non-confrontational way and a show of appreciation for the music all at the same time. I prefer to stand at the edge of the pit and watch the show myself, but sometimes you just gotta dive in and that's a good place to be if the urge strikes.
>>
>>61473976
Trap isn't 'macho'
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCcmT5A6Kls
>>
>>61474092
and NOFX and a bunch of kick ass punk bands
>>
It's still popular, at least in the eastern US. Hxc moshing is just goofy as shit though. Instead of kids just letting loose because they're really feeling the music, it's people that practice their spinkicks in the mirror so they can debut them at the next derivative beatdown show.
>>
>>61474551

>Trap isn't 'macho'

you're being bitter and reactionary right now.
>>
>>61474567
Yikes
>>
>>61474567

>all these bitches breaking the first rule

STOP TALKING ABOUT FIGHT CLUB

FUCK
>>
Because the definition of a mosh pit has been ignored. Let me explain this.
>At a metal show
>Slayer for example
>Everybody wants to be at the front
>The "mosh pit" is the area in front of the stage where everyone pushes to get to the band
>Unfortunately dickheads tend to ruin everything by punching people
>Now everybody thinks it's normal and just beat people up
>Since people don't like to get beat up, no one goes to the pit
I don't really care because I prefer The Walls Of Death now. Otherwise there are Circle Pits, but those only happen at shitty shows like Bring Me The Horizon
>>
>>61473732
Hardcore has never been about moshing. Infact in the 90s many post-hardcore bands spoke out against violence in the audience.
>>
mosh all you want but if i see you bullying people and elbowing people in the face i'm going to tell them to kick you out. shits not cool and you don't look cool.
>>
>>61474908

no one looks cool in a mosh pit

no one
>>
>>61473732
I once had a girl come up to me and tell me that I looked scary when moshing. It made me question why I even went to that show.
>>
>>61475050

>I once had a girl come up to me and tell me that I looked scary when moshing.

Because acting like a spaz in a mosh pit isn't cool to girls like that. You just look like a bunch of guys with anger management problems who are going to end up with domestic abuse charges later in life.
>>
>>61474203
>stand in a mosh pit
>"why is everyone pushing me around????"
>>
File: 1446416451883.jpg (55 KB, 496x750) Image search: [Google]
1446416451883.jpg
55 KB, 496x750
this is how youre SUPPOSED to act at a hardcore show. take note
>>
How the fuck do you get hurt in a moshpit? Are you guys moshing or having fist fights?
>>
Whatever are fun as hell, they're just aggressive dancing/skanking. I do it at hardcore shows too. I don't care if I look stupid. It's part of the show for me. At least I'm trying to have fun and I'm standing on the side with my arms cross trying to look cool. Those fuckers aren't there for the music, they're there to try to seem cool and worry about what they look like. Don't be a bro about it but there's nothing wrong some aggression.
>>
>>61474203
You should try crowdsurfing to a different section of the audience :^)
>>
>>61475535
circle pits are fun as hell*
>>
>>61475535

>At least I'm trying to have fun and I'm standing on the side with my arms cross trying to look cool.

I'll agree with this much. In any genre I'll always side with those who dance over those who don't. Even if the dancing is laughably shit. Just get involved. You have the rest of your daily rat race life to play it safe.

Mosh pits are still horrible, though. Sorry.
>>
File: 1451619362353.png (496 KB, 643x580) Image search: [Google]
1451619362353.png
496 KB, 643x580
most venues, especially diy spaces run by other people in bands, have rules against hate moshing at their shows.

its pretty frowned upon

I've always thought hardcore dancing made you look like an idiot. That's probably my biggest problem with it, I can't fathom how people think it's cool.

It's funny how you can spot people in here who haven't been to many shows, and when they go to shows it's every once in a while to see bigger bands.
>>
>>61475510
I looked at that photo for years and didn't realize it was tim heidecker till someone told me.
>>
>>61474117
Idk, the coolest/most interesting hip hop at the moment is more vulnerable/feminine than ever
>>
>>61475601
>Just get involved

paying the door fee / buying merch and actually watching the bands instead of standing outside smoking cigarettes and talking is being involved. you don't have to dance like a retard to be involved and support bands
>>
>>61474869
Obviously? That's why they were POST-hardcore
>>
>>61475707
>the coolest/most interesting hip hop at the moment is more vulnerable/feminine than ever
Like who? And don't say young thug because he still claims blood and threatens people.
>>
>>61475707
Are you saying that only because you want to have sex with the artist putting that out? Be honest
>>
moshing is fun as fuck but you have to know what you're getting yourself into
>>
>>61473732
>mosing
Finding this fun is honestly the best underage filter.
>>
>>61475802
Young thug wearing a dress on the cover of dazed was definately one example I had in mind but fair enough. Other examples would be Future dealing with depression/addiction, Kendrick dealing with depression (not as well imo but still) and the rise great openly gay rappers, such as cakes da killa
>>
>>61473773
ya this is true
being apart of that shit made me realize now after the fact how retarded i was flailing my arms around and waiting for those dank drops
>>
Everything now has to be safe, cushiony, non edgy, pc. Give this trend another year until peoples pent up aggression causes mass cannibalism and and an uprising in extreme danger music
>>
people get hurt
>>
>>61476267
this. dancing has been around forever for a reason.
>>
>>61475050
She obviously wanted the D you retard
>>
>>61475050
scary = strong intimidating alpha
>>
>>61476267
>>61476359
Autism.

See >>61475682
>>
>>61475601
Sometimes I feel like dancing or moshing at shows. Sometimes I feel like standing still with my arms crossed or just enjoying my beer and the music. Fuck people who try to make people uncomfortable at shows because they don't look like they're having the time of their life dancing. Sometimes standing still us the most fun for someone at that moment.
>>
>>61476444
Nah
>>
>>61473732
is it 1991?
>>
>>61473773
this desu
>>
On the topic of moshing, if you weigh more than 160 lbs, you shouldn't stage dive.
>>
>>61476562
this number always changes. what if they're 165 but athletic, or they're like 5'5 and 155?
>>
>>61475751
And who are you to say how somebody should interpret somebody's art, you cocksmoker? If somebody's showing their support and going crazy is how they demonstrate how they like somebody's work, let them fucking do it.
>>
>>61476027
You know what I'm sick of in the hardcore scenel? Oldfags moaning, seriously. This is primarily a youth culture, if you wanna stick around thats cool, we can chill outside and argue about which Black Flag album is the best, but if you're going to give me the old "in my day bullshit" then STFU and GTFO.
>>
File: mackaye.jpg (49 KB, 316x368) Image search: [Google]
mackaye.jpg
49 KB, 316x368
This should definitively answer OP's question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCdG6KPE35M

The judgement of whether this phenomenon is good or bad is something different.

Punk was one of the most ultimate forms of artistic expressions because people explored the boundaries of what was acceptable to see what would happen. Punk was angry, vulgar, hurtful, and ostracizing. Now we call that edgy because it indicates a poor psychological make up, bad coping skills and and a rebellion not against society's misplaced values, but revenge against their family or someone from their past due to some perceived slight. That may be true for some, but it could also be manifestation of genuine philosophical curiosity "what would happen if I did this?"

To me, the argument against moshing is a bit like an argument against training your body to do a marathon.

>Why would you stress your body unnecessarily? Don't you know you could DIE?

Yes, other people are there. They should be smart enough to get out of the way. And if you get hurt accidentally, I'm sorry you had an extreme experience at an extreme art performance.

Now, the music and dancing and lyrics at a punk show is safe. No one is edgy. Everyone has ideological camps where they discuss their points of view with people who love it and no one confronts different people. There are no more G.G. Allins, no more Skrewdrivers, no more Race Traitors, no more To Live and Shave in LAs and all expression is reasonable and intelligent. No one feels alienated or stifled by technology, traditions and institutions that are vastly beyond their control.
>>
File: eric.jpg (63 KB, 500x397) Image search: [Google]
eric.jpg
63 KB, 500x397
>>61475510
>>61475698
He was probably only there to support Eric, who was on the underbill with either Ink & Dagger or I Am Heaven.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.