[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we agree St Vincent is the pinnacle of modern music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8
Can we agree St Vincent is the pinnacle of modern music?
>>
File: ʘɷʘ.png (4 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ʘɷʘ.png
4 KB, 300x300
>It's another pop thread
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
I want him back!
>>
>>61462858
Who is him
>>
no but she is underrated for her overall contribution to pop music. especially this decade.
>>
File: S+V.jpg (117 KB, 565x849) Image search: [Google]
S+V.jpg
117 KB, 565x849
>>61462818
Maybe not the pinnacle, but sure one of the peaks. Her music is quite underrated on /mu/. Many seem to focus more on her private life and gossip than the actual music.
>>
>>61462906
I enjoy the mystery of her.
>>
>>61462906
She's a pop artist. She has no artistic content to offer. Only style.
>>
>>61462929
>she has no artistic content to offer
wat
>>
>>61462929
She's an indie rock artist. How many pop artists do you know that play guitar on her level and also compose music as eclectic as her?
>>
>>61462929
You're the fake Unofficial Helper Of /mu/ but still saying bullshit. Shut up.
>>
>>61462954
being weird, and a less than-avarege singer does not mean being artistic
>>
>>61462906
>Her music is quite underrated on /mu/
Are you so new you weren't even here when her last album dropped?
>>
>>61462972
Exactly. She has actual talent, which is missing in popular music nowadays.
>>
>>61463026
I wasn't then. But on the last year I noticed that St. Vincent's latest album is generally disliked on /mu/, despite being awesome. Also on the latest half of year there were a lot of hate threads about her. Way too many morons heard about her.
>>
>>61462832
>it's another "call someone the best thing in music to bait people into hating them even more" thread
>>
>>61463135
As a general rule /mu/ hates anything that gains popularity even if it's good. There's nothing wrong with the album, it's just /mu/ being /mu/.
>>
pj harvey though
>>
You would have to pay me to listen to her music ever again, so no.
>>
File: 1448866995332.jpg (83 KB, 800x651) Image search: [Google]
1448866995332.jpg
83 KB, 800x651
Lmao @ st Vincent fans believing her music is the "peak" of anything. If Annie was a man, he wouldn't get half the praise for making the exact same music. The only reason she gets any attention is because she is le independent womyn in 2016 who don't need no man.
>>
>>61463199
>ad hoc fallacy
lol @ u
>>
>>61463199
Blah blah blah. Basically you discredit her artistry for being a woman. Are you sure you're on the right board?

>>>/pol/
>>
>current year
>having an opinion over a particular subject
>>
>>61463255
>le maymay arrow may may
>>
>>61463236
its true doe. her music is terrible. the only appeal is that how qt and charismatic st annie is.

then again some ppl on /mu/ think kpop is top-tier music, so you might just be a plen living delusion
>>
if it's not generative music, it's not important in the progression of music. at this point, we've pretty much done everything possible with music not composed by technology. autechre's recent stuff is probably the most important contribution to the progression of music since the 90's.
>>
>>61463236
Not true. I like many female artists who I find genuinely talented. Annie is in the same category and Grimes for me. They but their skewed politics before their art
>>
>>61463338
What is Annie's politics. Please enlighten me.
>>
There's nothing seminal or important about St Vincent's music. Not to say it's bad, but nah, she's not the pinnacle of anything.
>>
>>61463306
>its true doe. her music is terrible.
Prove it that is terrible. "I thought so" isn't an argument.
>>
>>61463375
She's one of the most respected female musicians and she isn't pinnacle of anything? What about indie rock?
>>
>>61463370
I think it's pretty obvious from the way she presents herself she believes in the whole "more women need to be heard in music, dismantle the patriarchy" faux-progressive ideology that young girls with disposable income seem to be eating up these days.
>>
>>61463429
>What about indie rock?
Vampire Weekend. And indie rock is the lowest it's ever been.
>>
>>61463468
>Vampire Weekend
You can't be serious. That is an ordinary dime a dozen indie rock band. Find a better example.
>>
>>61463461
Find me a video where she says anything like "more women need to be heard in music, dismantle the patriarchy". Even if she does bring up feminism for some reason, which isn't even that common, she pretty much always corrects herself to humanism.
>>
>>61463461
But she doesn't shove feminist ideas in your face. She believes more in equality of genders.
>>
She's good at what she does.

Sucks that what she does is so goddamn boring
>>
Does anyone know where her version of Funny Valentine is available to listen? I looked on youtub and could only find her having a drink
>>
>>61463602
all I found was this

https://youtu.be/VahFNeaDtS0

(meanwhile we're all being shot at , hunted or dying, thanks a bunch)
>>
>>61463511

http://m.mic.com/articles/82797/9-reasons-st-vincent-is-an-indie-feminist-hero#.UMPbpnsNe

I'm not saying she shoves it in your face, but if her fans are reacting like this then she must be presenting herself like that to some degree.

Her fans faun over her because she's a woman in the music biz, and I'm saying she doesn't deserve such a high level of praise.

Same with Grimes and the praise she gets. Both artists make mediocre pop music but people act as if they're making such innovative strides in the industry.

Her gender shouldn't matter. Does she make good music? Nothing that should be praised the way it is.
>>
>>61463560
Impressive backhanded compliment.
>>
>>61463560
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6hfIOiPwwo
yep boring
>>
>>61463727
But both Grimes & St. Vincent make great music, regardless of their gender. People generally like their music. If you don't like their music it's not their fault.
>>
>>61463727
This isn't her saying anything about it as far as I can tell, It's just like you said, her fans reacting like that. She's a popular female musician but it's nothing she says really that's the reason for this. These people are basically the same as waifufags. Annie hates being called a "female musician" but these people put her on a pedestal for being one and not being a top 40 pop star person like Swift or whoever else.

I like her music a lot but I agree with you that people hold her in too high regard and it causes threads like these that just further tank her reputation in some places like this board. You shouldn't hate a musician because of their fans, even though I know that in some cases it's hard not to.

And I mean it's not like she doesn't talk about feminism/humanism and similar things to some degree but she's not an outspoken SJW type like you seem to think. People do treat her like that for some reason though and I don't get it. It seems more like these types of people forcing their views onto her because she's a popular female musician that isn't the top 40 stuff that apparently is misogynistic.
>>
>>61463861
I'm not gonna change your minds if you like their music that's fine. But people gotta stop acting like they're trailblazers in what they do. I'm saying they're not.
>>
File: 004.jpg (59 KB, 637x790) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
59 KB, 637x790
>>
>>61463896
>But people gotta stop acting like they're trailblazers in what they do. I'm saying they're not.
But they are trailblazers in what they do. I challenge you to find similar artists to St. Vincent & Grimes that started BEFORE them. Let's see the list.
>>
>>61463964
who is that
>>
>>61463993
Are we talking women in music? Or specifically what they do?

I would argue they make pop music...that's all. If that's the case I don't think I need to make a list of all the female pop artists that have seen huge success over the years.

Also, just because you're the first to do something mediocre doesn't mean you deserve to be put on a pedestal
>>
>>61464102
>Are we talking women in music?
Because women in music are rarer than men in music. And because a female artist usually has a different sensibility/voice than a male artist.
>>
>>61464441

>rare

Oh boy anon, I hope ur joking. Not even sure why I'm responding anymore
>>
>>61464102
>Also, just because you're the first to do something mediocre doesn't mean you deserve to be put on a pedestal
The problem: "something mediocre". If it's mediocre to you that doesn't mean is mediocre for everyone else. You're contrarian when it comes to St. Vincent / Grimes because you're against the general consensus.

As you know, judging music is subjective.
>>
>>61464499
Just because something is objectively mediocre, doesn't mean people are wrong to enjoy it
>>
>>61464479
Look at any festival lineup. Count how many female artists do you see compared to male artists.

And it was "rarer than" not "rare". It's a term of comparison. Read the damn text anon.
>>
>>61464577
So you're admitting then that she gets the praise she does because she's a woman.
>>
>>61464543
>objectively mediocre
Most known music (I mean music reviewed) is generally well performed and produced. Objectively most known artists put an effort to have good sounding products.

Judging the actual music is a subjective process. Every human is different so it's affected by music in a different way. That's why people have a different taste in music: otherwise everyone would like only the objectively good albums.
>>
>>61464642
No. She gets the praise she does because the actual music resonates with the critics / listeners. You know, the reviews aren't about her nice look but about her music.
>>
>>59956114

"mediocre" in this case means anything that is redundant or generic. That is an objective measure.

Poorly produced music can be good btw.
>>
>>61462818
She's honestly personifying the rock star life to greater degree than a lot of her peers. Which is something I have to give her kudos for.
>>
>>61462818

No, and while I am actually a big fan of hers, I think she uses her image to make her music seem more daring than it is.
>>
>>61464810
Nobody crowdsurfs like Annie Clark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgfqFafck

Watch the whole thing.
>>
File: hi-hater-bye-hater.jpg (89 KB, 640x413) Image search: [Google]
hi-hater-bye-hater.jpg
89 KB, 640x413
I like everything about her, including the fact that she's shamelessly banging a supermodel.
>>
>>61463493
Contra > her entire "artistic" output.
>>
>>61463199
>[...] she is le independent womyn in 2016 who don't need no man.

Woah, can you even discuss anything without having to bring your shitty /pol/ memes into it?
>>
>>61464926
lfmao. You're a CONTRArian, right?
>>
>>61462972
Who the fuck cares about guitar in relation to pop?
Everything she plays is a garbled synthetic mess anyway
>>
>>61463833
nothing Marilyn Manson didn't do in the 90s
>>
>>61465259
Are we seriously comparing Marilyn Manson to St. Vincent now.

Actually it's funny because they're on the same label right now.
>>
>>61464926
i think ur a contra

st. vincent and vw are both good why get so mad about it
>>
>>61465170
You obviously don't know what pop music is. Educate yourself.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.