[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>try to listen to classical music >it's boring, goes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2
File: 1440625884027.png (155 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1440625884027.png
155 KB, 512x384
>try to listen to classical music
>it's boring, goes on for too long, and all sounds the same
>get bored and go back to listening to the same alt/indie rock albums

>try to listen to jazz
>can't follow the music, sounds like they're just playing random notes
>get frustrated and go back to listening to the same alt/indie rock albums

>try to listen to avant-garde patrician shit
>is this even music? can't even understand why people would like it
>can barely sit through it, so I go back to listening to the same alt/indie rock albums

How do I deal with the fact that I'll always be a pleb?
>>
Just kill yourself now
>>
Move on and listen to the music that you like
>>
>>61460579
Try Music for 18 Musicians and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
>>
Learn to play an instrument you fucking pleb. You will realize jazz arent just playing "random notes" (still shit wanky genre tho) and if you grasp some entry level theory you may stop being such a tone deaf faggot and you may be able to appreciate some entry level classical.
For avant-garde just read a little, lazy ass faggot.
>>
>>61460623
steve reich is a hack
>>
stop pretending to be into "alt/indie rock albums" you memerap fag
>>
>>61460623

Those are two albums I tried to listen to and couldn't get through them for the reasons above. Music for 18 musicians just sounds all the same and I have trouble following The Black Saint and the Sinner lady. I can't get into them.
>>
>sounds like they're just playing random notes

But that's the best part OP

You never know where the music might take you next
>>
These genres are an acquired taste. Don't beat yourself about not loving this.

The notion that there is "higher music" than others is all bullshit. Everything in music is subjective.
>>
>>61460648
This, minus the profanities and diss to jazz

Learning any music at all can help develop quite a lot, OP. I suggest keyboard or guitar as a good starting point
>>
>>61460648
>music theory
Faggot, if you need to understand theory to enjoy the music you listen to then you should probably take a ballistics class and then blow your brains out.
>>
>>61460648

I already play some keyboards and know some muisic theory, and I don't understand how it makes me appreciate the music more. So I know what quarter notes are and the names of notes, how is that supposed to make me appreciate classical better?
>>
>>61460677
It's not about enjoying it but appreciating it

You can not like jazz, but you should at least not think it's not just "random notes", and acknowledge that it's not your musical preference
>>
Listen to them a bunch of times, you obviously know albums can grow on you and taste can be acquired.

Just don't say "acquired taste" out loud, ever. That's autistic as fuck.
>>
>>61460694
That's not really theory, though
Look into studies of harmony, melody, and rhythm, and try taking apart some classical of jazz pieces. Then, you may find a newfound appreciation for what you're hearing, at the very least
>>
>>61460659
>Music for 18 musicians just sounds all the same
That's kind of the point of minimalism.
>>
>>61460702
I understand what jazz is.
I'm just trying to show that that particular anon is an asshole.

Also we never Skype anymore, Abelian.
>>
>>61460579
Just forget those century old dead genres and check out death grips for a chance
>>
>>61460774
Yeah, those fuckers are all dead.
>>
>>61460757
Oh I wasn't pointing the jazz thing at you, I was talking about OP's view
That anon may have been brusque but he had a point

Also, who are you on Skype?
>>
>>61460579
i tried doing the same and I really enjoyed avant garde but I won't listen to it like I do pleb stuff, james blake or fever ray for example, which I listen on daily basis
>>
>>61460677
Where did i ever say the word "enjoy", stupid ass nigga, op said he felt like all classical "sounds" the same for him, maybe if he learned the definition of harmony first he wouldnt have such a retarded perception
>>
>>61460702

This

Jazz is pretty tight, but I do get why people (plebs) would get bored with it or other instrumental styles of music. They tend to be the same kind of people that "don't understand why anyone would want to run for fun" and have self diagnosed short attention spans.

Take Body and Soul by Thelonius Monk, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29J0Qsp3yns

Most people, and even a lot of musicians, would think it's total shit. "He's playing wrong notes" "Everything is just random" "Nothing repeats" etc etc. when in reality it's an example of some of the most amazing piano playing ever recorded. A lot of people tend to have a hard time understanding the feel and direction of a song. It does become easier to understand the more you play or learn about music, but really it's just about listening and thinking critically.
>>
>>61460810
I'm this motherfucker.
>>
>>61460729
>Look into studies of harmony, melody, and rhythm, and try taking apart some classical of jazz pieces.

How do I specifically study those things though? and how do I apply it? Is there an example of someone picking apart a classical or jazz piece with music theory?

I really want to understand more music because I'm getting kind of tired of liking only one genre.
>>
>>61460848
Sounds like someone hit randomize on a midi generator.
>>
>>61460848
I don't know anything about music but I think this is nice

I like that it's just going all over the place
>>
>>61460885
ffs dont you know what google is? fuck off
>>
>>61460659
>and I have trouble following The Black Saint and the Sinner lady. I can't get into them.
Weird. I am a total jazzpleb and I loved Black Saint. I listened to it on a nightly walk while smoking cigarettes. It was raining very lightly. I felt like a fucking private investigator in a noir movie. Fucking loved that.
>>
>>61460920
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>61460909

Google's just giving me some basic music lessons (which apparently isn't really music throy) on stuff I already know. It doesn't feel like I'm understanding jazz and classical better.
>>
>>61460579
You're listening to bad music. Just as there are bad humans there is bad music made by humans. Frederic Chopin's music is made with a great level of conscious understanding, high caliber music. I also recommend John Coltrane for the jazz side of the spectrum. Neither of those artists are playing anything random. Everything is very articulate and where it needs to be. Lots of wisdom. Listening to indie rock is like having a house full of elementary school drawings on your walls. There's a difference between artistic talent and making a living by producing crap and selling it to talentless fucks that can't do any better and gettin popular because of it.
>>
>>61460920
Ayyyyy
I can relate to this

>>61460932
ayyyy
Autism
>>
>>61460579
Try prog rock
>>
>>61460885
Chord structures, modes, and basic classes in composition should help.
Read any guide on composition, to get a basic idea for those elements

>>61460952
It's still "theory", but not on the level that you need to really be able to navigate through those more complex and varied genres
>>
>>61460920
shit cat.
>>
>>61460895
>>61460890

It's really not as random as it sounds. Just listen to what his left hand is doing with the bass, you can hear where the chord changes are going and how what his right hand is doing weaves around it.
>>
>>61460932
>>>/b/
>>
>>61460848
Thelonius Monk is like one of those jazz guitar players that have to be labeled jazz guitar player because they aren't playing anything articulate. As if they don't hear any melodies in their head and they're just trying to play accidentals for the sake of playing accidentals. Listen to John Coltrane improvise then Monk. What's the difference? Coltrane is playing beautiful melodies draped in precise catchy rhythms. It all makes sense. They're like phrases of language, one after another to tell a story. Monk sounds like a deaf person that is playing what he thinks "should" sound good for whatever theory reason it might work, but it doesn't sound good. It's people like this that make others think jazz is random nonsense.
>>
>>61461103
And I think th exact opposite
Monk is a master of space and dissonance within important improvisation, and I always felt Coltrane was far too busy within the context of his own compositions

I also prefer Monk as a bandleader but that's another story
>>
>>61461103

If that's your opinion of Monk I don't think you've listened to him very much. You can't tell me that his playing on this tune isn't articulate and interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxailNkhpXs

The phrase work on Body and Soul is also very clearly laid out, you just have to listen and know what you're listening for.
>>
>>61461140
*the
And why the fuck did I type "important"

Jesus I need more sleep
>>
>>61460830

Tonal harmony is, ideally, a very small part of music. If you make it the central aspect of your music, as most classical composers have done, you DO end up with awfully derivative and samey music.
>>
Hey, here's something you can try. Giving a fuck
If you don't, then why fucking bother
>>
>>61461613

You might be too patrish for this board, very few here get this.
>>
>>61461669

>music board
>not understanding music

So that's why /mu/ is full of vinyl-meme hipster shits that unironically listen to top 40s pop
>>
>>61460810
>>61460849
my niggas
>>
>>61460848

The desire for exertion for its own sake usually correlates with psychopathy/sociopathy/ASPD.
>>
>>61461904

Neither running long distance or playing jazz piano make you a psychopath. Some people like running because it's meditative and/or they don't like team/contact sports. Some people play so much music that they get bored playing the same straight church tunes over and over so they branch out in interesting ways.
>>
>>61460980
>Frederic Chopin's music is made with a great level of conscious understanding, high caliber music
Chopin's music is good for listening to the player, not the music. He wrote competition pieces that are not worth studying for the aesthetic value. He's sort of the tetris of music, it's not really the game so much as the competition of high score and he never pretended otherwise.
>>
>>61462033

You're thinking of Liszt/Alkan?
>>
File: 1356669240989.jpg (228 KB, 1024x921) Image search: [Google]
1356669240989.jpg
228 KB, 1024x921
>>61462033
>>
How are there so many people here who don't give a shit about focusing and caring about music
>>
>>61462033
absolute nonsense
>>
>>61461696
basically yeah
>>
>>61460677
you dont need to know chemistry to cook either, but sometimes a little extra knowledge can make things better. unless you're just mad because theory goes over your head
>>
>>61460579
it's no use if you don't want, or if you don't enjoy it
There is absolutely no point in listening to music you don't enjoy just because you don't want to "be a pleb"
Just accept it OP, unless you really want, or you enjoy listening to classical you won't be able to overcome you pleb status
>>
>>61460677
lol pleb
>>
>>61460737
No it isn't.
>>
>>61461904
running isn't about running, it's about maintaining the body.
>>
>>61461103
>theloniUs
>jazz guitar
Jazz threads are so fucking stupid because barely anyone here knows anything about jazz, jazz theory or improvisation.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.