[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT : Albums that ruined a career
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12
File: Random_Access_Memories.jpg (21 KB, 329x329) Image search: [Google]
Random_Access_Memories.jpg
21 KB, 329x329
pic related
>>
>>61460235
I love that album
>>
File: aad4fa74.jpg (136 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
aad4fa74.jpg
136 KB, 658x658
ended this nigga's career overnight
>>
File: 51pxBk-NghL._SY300_.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
51pxBk-NghL._SY300_.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>
>>61460358
I really preferred their heavier tracks from previous albums
>>
>>61460385
I find RAM starts off a little slow, not bad just slow. It doesn't throw you headfirst into it like Homework or Discovery. That coupled with the live instruments and disco playing make it a weird listen the first few times, kind of throws you off. Overall it's still an excellant album and a rewarding listen, probably better than Human After All too but maybe not quite on par with the first two albums, although it's pretty close I think.
>>
>>61460384
I never liked Cash anyway
>>
>>61460235
I though RAM was pretty good. Better than Homework and not as good as Discovery.

I appreciate the ambition of incorporating nu-disco. Touch is a really beautiful song too.
>>
>>61460235
I think it was a very strong comeback, just not the grand statement everyone was hoping for. They were really subtle with this album and the change in sound skewed a lot of opinions on it. Personally I think it's up there with their best.
>>
>>61460235
Except that's their best album.
>>
>>61460635
>>61460680
>>61460536
I didn't expect these opinions on this record desu. I guess I don't like it because of that disco & pop feeling. This is not my priority when listening to bleeps, I'm rather into more punchy songs or retro sounds actually.
>>
>>61460235
For me, the album has great quality, but all the wildly different styles and tempos make it very uneven to me. I'm never in the mood to listen to the whole thing. Some songs are woefully repetitive and boring while others are just nice and others again are super exciting. I don't think the songs on the album compliment eachother well enough, and that's coming from someone who enjoys a lot of genre variety within songs and albums.
>>
>>61460384
Definitely not one of his best, but he followed up with great albums later, definitely not a career killer.
>>
>>61460734
I guess I've never really listened to Daft Punk for bleeps, they've always had a pop thing to them and honestly that might even be toned down a bit on this album. At least less poppy than some songs on Discovery. That said it's more rootsy, in a rock/disco way so if you're listening for bleeps I could say how it might not float your boat.
>>
File: Green_Day_-_Uno!_cover.jpg (99 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Green_Day_-_Uno!_cover.jpg
99 KB, 300x300
As an authentic American Idiot-era fan, I was truly disappointed by this new direction
>>
>>61460235
You can't really compare RAM to any other work by Daft Punk.
It's just too different.

RAM is the only DP record I physically own though, so there's that.
>>
>>61460787
>I could say
*see
>>
>albums that ruined a career
>posts their most successful and critically acclaimed album
>>
File: the final cut.jpg (199 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
the final cut.jpg
199 KB, 1000x1000
I think this and the following albums have redeemable qualities, but the band obviously didn't recover from this.
>>
>>61460829
I can see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. I feel like they went for very similiar things as their other albums with RAM, but tackled them in a new way. Where Discovery and HAA did that robotic, almost uncanny valley type pop, but with a futuristic electronic production this did it with live instruments, effectively pushing their sound even closer to the uncanny valley. And the drums and guitar parts still have that distinct Daft Punk vibe as well. I don't find they strayed too far from their classic sound, just approached it in a totally new way.
>>
>>61460933
Robot Rock is nowhere near Within, for instance.

While I agree that you can definitely tell who made the music, i wouldn't say that it's the same style at all.
>>
>>61460921
I think the Dark Side/WYWH/AnimalsThe Wall streak did more damage. Especially the live shows of The Wall

After that I think they were exhausted and it ironically caused their downfall.
>>
File: Partie_Traumatic.png (187 KB, 454x454) Image search: [Google]
Partie_Traumatic.png
187 KB, 454x454
r-remember me, guys?
>>
File: 21896-travistan.jpg (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
21896-travistan.jpg
83 KB, 500x500
>>
>>61460536
>Overall it's still an excellant album and a rewarding listen
Jesus christ you're retarded.
>Excellent
Not by any standard. It's boring and completely unimaginative. It's quite obvious they totally ran out of ideas so they hired other people to write their music.
>Rewarding
It's possibly the most shallow album I've heard. What you hear is what you get. There is nothing below the surface. It is the exact opposite of rewarding. It's pop music and basic as hell.
>better than Human After All too but maybe not quite on par with the first two albums, although it's pretty close I think.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Absolutely terrible album and this is not b8

How far the mighty have fallen
>>
>>61461441
Thanks man, you conviced me. RAM is shit.
>>
>>61460966
I didn't say it was the same style. But as you said it's definitely coming from the same place, and on those grounds I feel RAM can be compared to their other albums. Also Robot Rock is one of their weaker songs in my opinion, and doesn't sound like a lot of their other work, also Human After All is their weakest album.
>>
>>61461441
Daft Punk have been pop music since Discovery, really even Homework was quite poppy. Also Daft Punk have always been basic as fuck musically, they've always shined as producers. It's like you listened to RAM then based everything else you know about Daft Punk off of what you've read on wikipedia.
>>
File: beach-boys-smile-large1.jpg (472 KB, 700x709) Image search: [Google]
beach-boys-smile-large1.jpg
472 KB, 700x709
In a sense
>>
>>61461663
Kinda, but they still released plenty of great albums after Smile collapsed. The album you posted isn't even the same one that would've come out had it not fallen through.
>>
>>61461625
You're a retard. There is a difference between pop and "pop". Discovery is French House but has pop elements. RAM is a flat out pop album that also flat out sucks.

>Daft Punk
>Basic
As far as house music goes they are anything but basic. The amount of samples, attention to detail and sonic depth are anything but basic. Another pleb that has no idea what they're talking about.

And yes I've never listened to anything besides RAM because Daft Punk is so obscure and you're so unique that no else has listened to them. Fuck off you hipster shit.
>>
>>61461780
Is there something wrong with you? Why are you so angry?
>>
File: original_441.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
original_441.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1000
>>
>>61460235
not career ending,
but shit

it didn't have that superior unique french electro sound that everyone loves
>>
>>61461780
somebody is very mad
>>
>>61461780
>You're a retard. There is a difference between pop and "pop".

First time on /mu/. I guess this place really is the gaping colon it's made out to be.
>>
File: Queen_Hot_Space.png (138 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Queen_Hot_Space.png
138 KB, 300x300
>>
RAM is going to be HAA all over again. Everyone will cry about how shit it is and how it should never have been made and then Alive 2017 is going to roll around and the RAM samples are going to push it over the edge.
>>
>>61460358

R.A.M (A.k.A. - Warp Records Selection for Plebs )
>>
>>61461441
I love when people just freak out when someone has a slightly different opinion to them.. Chill out man.
>>
>>61462786

You find good music and terrible discussion. It's up to you whether the trade off is worth it.
>>
File: image.png (218 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
218 KB, 750x1334
>>61460235
>career killer
Keep telling yourself that, m8
>>
>>61463947
Alright sir, I should maybe have added that the "interesting part" of their career was over. Selling tons of albums and getting Grammys does not prove any musical value to me, sorry.
>>
File: s_lp_sleighbells_12.jpg (53 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
s_lp_sleighbells_12.jpg
53 KB, 300x300
>>
>>61464299
ITT: Albums that anon doesn't really like but is too dramatic to call it anything else but a career ruiner
>>
>>61464400
kek
>>
>>61460235
define "career"
>>
>>61460235
How did that ruin their career? If anything it's a comeback album. Besides Technologic and Robot Sample, Human After All had very little success, commercially and critically. Random Access Memories brought them back to the forefront of dance music by appealing to the popular opinion while following similar formats to their previous albums, making it also likable to their early fanbase.
>>
>>61460235
>he thinks this didn't save them after the disaster that was human after all
>>
>>61464948
>implying Alive 2007 didn't justify HAA
>>
The thing is you can't compare RAM to their earlier work because it's a totally different thing, unlike Human After All that we all knew it sucked except for some songs this was kind of hard to go in with a clean mind considered a lot of fans were expecting more Discovery-ish french house. This album definitely surprised me because it didn't sound like anything they had done before except for the vocoders, it starts pretty slow unlike Discovery which was frontloaded with singles and it took me some time to appreciate the mood of the album and the amazing production it haves. Seriously, listen to this with some good headphones, I haven't heard an album that sounds as good as this is in a long time. Honestly this is on par with Discovery IMO but I can't really decide which is better because they are too different to judge that.
>>
>>61461441
>hired other people to write their music
>attacking others' opinions because they differ from your own
>not b8
Whatever you say, m8 ;^)
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.