[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What music will you raise your kids on, /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: 6743743587456.jpg (69 KB, 274x238) Image search: [Google]
6743743587456.jpg
69 KB, 274x238
What music will you raise your kids on, /mu/?
>>
Jazz
>>
ofwgkta
>>
For Sure Eno, Bowie, and Talking Heads.
>>
Classical, Jazz, Traditional music. Maybe a bit of death and grind metal.

Anything except popular music (even though metal technically counts as popular music - stored on recordings and packaged/marketed for profit)
>>
>>61451358
the hell you on about
>>
>>61451358
ahaha u sound like a loser hahaha
>>
Bill Evans
>>
>>61451358
autism
>>
Techno
>>
I wouldn't want my child to have the same interests as me, so I will keep him away from music.
>>
animal collective
>>
Biggie and Nirvana :^)
>>
>>61451466
I feel this
>>
taylor swift
>>
whatever constitutes as dad rock in 10 years
>>
>>61451159
the more I think about it, I feel like the only responsible choice would be to forbid them to listen to any music made by blacks
>>
>>61451159
Lemon Jelly has some pretty songs, so probably that
[spoiler] >implying anyone would want to fugg me [/spoiler]
>>
>>61451159

I would send him to piano lessons, and teach him to play guitar and drums. Any of those that he likes or does well at will be backed with my love and attention.

I'll give him small history lessons when we talk about music (like my dad did) and introduce him to various music I listened to during my lifetime.

The most important will be getting the fundamentals of what music is and how to listen though. This is where the piano lessons come in as he will be naturally introduced into classical, jazz, etc..
>>
justin bieber - sorry
>>
File: burrito-deluxe-51071058715a0.jpg (370 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
burrito-deluxe-51071058715a0.jpg
370 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>61451466
True

If they find interest in it on their own then so be it
>>
>>61451159
What ever I listen to until they decide to start listening to whatever they want.
>>
>>61451466
Can you explain why? Also what would you do if he developed an interest in music independently?
>>
>>61451553
yeah make sure you teach him music theory otherwise his opinion won't count
>>
>>61451578

I developed my tastes in music independently, so I would be happy if he did the same. My father tried to get me into dad rock, my mother tried getting me into country, and my brother tried getting me into rap. It was annoying.
>>
Nothing. Whatever I'm listening to at the moment they'll be exposed to most, but jamming a certain artist or genre down their throats stupid. Most kids get into the same old thing and work their way up the ladder just like everything else. That is the least of my worries what my kid listens to, unless it's nig nog music
>>
I've always wondered. Is it bad parenting to guide your kids into certain things that you'd like them to do? Like i think that teaching a kid piano would be something really valuable to learn
>>
>>61451744
no, but you need to when if they're enjoying it, otherwise you're just wasting their time
>>
>>61451801
*need to know
>>
My child will take the same path I did. Exclusively listen to classic rock and Weird Al in elementary school and very slowly devolve into field recordings and noise doom
>>
>>61451801
Yeah I guess it'd be better to cultivate whatever interest they have whether it's music or not. Nobody wants to be the dad that lives through their kids.
>>
File: 1451356031890.jpg (192 KB, 543x700) Image search: [Google]
1451356031890.jpg
192 KB, 543x700
>>61451857
>>
>>61451583
this. dont let your kids be plebs. At least get them piano lessons from a real teacher. It will give them great fundamentals, and they can go on to other instruments if they want to.
>>
>>61451466
>not wanting your offspring to take on and better your legacy
>>
GG Allin
>>
harsh noise played at full volume
>>
I'll listen to my music when I'm with them and want to listen to music. Try to find some middle ground, but I won't "raise them" on it. If they bring something forward then I'll listen to it with an open mind and hope we can enjoy their music together like we enjoy mine.

Regardless of their musical taste I will try to teach them guitar, piano, saxophone, violin or singing at various points in their life. If they choose to reject the teachings that's fine, but I want them to have the opportunity to start early if it's something that they enjoy.
>>
>>61451883
>>your legacy
>Implying anyone on 4chan has a legacy
>>
>>61451946
This is actually good.
>>
>>61451879
How many levels of irony you operating on right now buddy?
>>
I'm gonna listen to the beatles in the car with my kids. That's a good start for music taste
>>
It'll be like my dad's and my exchange of musical taste. He introduced me to the music he listened to, and I introduced him to the music I listen to. In short, parent and kid find and listen to what they like, then share with each other.
>>
>>61451159
sufjan stevens, grizzly bear, the mountain goats, andrew jackson jihad, cry pussy, infantiz3
>>
>>61452098
Aww this is actually cute and nice.
Good idea anon.
>>
>>61451946
this is the only answer so far that doesn't sound retarded. I think at a very early age (like infancy) I might put on jazz or classical just because it makes soothing, brain stimulating background noise for them, but otherwise I totally agree with you.
>>
>>61452016
I know this might be a joke, but that actually sounds pretty good. Maybe I'm just nostalgic for when I was really young and my parents would play the beatles, the beach boys, and billy joel a lot when we were all in the car together
>>
I'll let them figure it out on there own and they can ask for reccomendations if they want to.
>>
>>61452162
>andrew jackson jihad
enjoy your cuck son

I'm raising my kids on Moonman
>>
>>61451553
Ask him if he actually wants to first, my dad forced me into playing baseball when I was younger and hated it. When I was so sick of it that he had no choice, but to let me quit he forced me into guitar lessons because he noticed how much I was starting to like music. I pretended to hate it (didn't really) out of spite (I was like 8), and started singing independently instead of playing guitar. I went to him directly when I was like 12 because I genuinely wanted to learn to play guitar, and I fell in love with it and have been playing my entire life. Also because I started singing so young and because I enjoyed it, I'm like the only person I know who people are genuinely impressed when they hear. Point of the story is you should influence your kids with some of the things you enjoy, and let them decide what they want to do with it or they might pretend to hate it because its forced on them...Then they will miss out on what they really enjoy in life. Although, one thing I really appreciate is that my mom would inform me when I was singing like shit (out of my nose), and the negativity as opposed to circle jerking made me so much better at it. So, I'd criticize, but this is how I plan to raise my kids just giving out advice based on my own perspective.
>>
>>61451506
my nigga

my dad made me listen to Dylan and Springsteen, I'll make them listen to her
>>
>>61451466
FUCK music
>>
>>61453385
>everyone is a cuck but me thats why I'm obsessed with the term and the fetish
>>
>>61451358
What does "traditional music" mean?
>>
File: 1433044349267.jpg (40 KB, 720x519) Image search: [Google]
1433044349267.jpg
40 KB, 720x519
>>61451466
>mfw my dad listens to Stockhausen, Captain Beefheart and Moody Blues
>rarely talks about music with me
is this why? am i a disappointment to my father?
>>
File: 1448609073856.png (39 KB, 400x275) Image search: [Google]
1448609073856.png
39 KB, 400x275
My father raised me with Pink Floyd and spaghetti western movies, so I think I would do the same.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.