[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: rearrange.jpg (2 MB, 1371x891) Image search: [Google]
rearrange.jpg
2 MB, 1371x891
Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
ok, how the fuck do you get drums to sound as good as four tet does?
>>
>>61445918
Nice setup but it looks like it's all been arranged just to show off rather than make music with.
>>
>>61446047
Four tet is sampling one shots from records a majority of the time, and using very gentle processing. There's a future music interview with him that goes over the making of Sing and subsequently goes into depth on that matter.
>>
>>61446237
There's an old but great interview in Sound on Sound where he talks about how he made his earlier albums. Sounds like he has a really comfy setup.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul03/articles/fourtet.asp
>>
>>61445918
hi /prod/, i'm just getting into making sample-based music and here's a track i made. this is the first time i've ever made an electronic piece and it's 100% sample-based. kinda downtempo/IDM/folktronica:

https://clyp.it/yllpsdie

if you guys could provide some feedback as to extra things i may add, feel free to do so!
>>
>>61446047
I have this same question but with Mark Bell instead of Four Tet
>>
Posted this in the other thread but oh well

https://clyp.it/r1ddqzmy
>DIIV rip-off, but more of a new equipment and mixing demo
>programmed drums because drums mics are expensive
>Tele through apogee duet into verb/overdrive/compression chain
>How do I get closer to the wall of sound?
>>
>>61446447
it needs a melody for sure

Interesting that we were just talking about Four Tet because the track reminds me of Four Tet's 'Hands' from Rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2dPYRhSb4c
>>
>>61446447
The crash part happened too many times...the drums kinda sound messy in general

I like the overall sound though. Don't take my critique to heart though, literally everything I say on here gets called pleb so whatever
>>
>>61446615
well, they both sample Radiohead's "Motion Picture Soundtrack," so yeah :P
>>
>>61446482
>>61446047
Another huge component to mixing your drums lies in getting a soundcard. You'll get a clearer picture of your frequencies and you won't end up eq'ing them to death or doing something dumb like that.
>>
>>61446637
i was purposely trying to make the drums sound a bit messy and off-beat, to try to give it an organic feel. i appreciate the feedback.

i could definitely reduce the times that drum roll crash happens. i made this thing entirely in Audacity, which i consider quite an achievement for myself but i'll definitely work on it.
>>
>>61446672
Oh wow, audacity? The only time I ever pull that up is to attempt to isolate vocals from tracks lol. I forget I even have it on here sometimes.

Like I said, I enjoyed the melody. It sounded really full
>>
File: 81bL7nV2vFL._SL1500_.jpg (417 KB, 1500x1490) Image search: [Google]
81bL7nV2vFL._SL1500_.jpg
417 KB, 1500x1490
Super newbie here.

I want a cheap mixer to experiment with in a small apartment space. I understand that you get what you pay for, but by this fall I'll have access to a full size studio anyway. I found the Yamaha MG102C, which I like because of its built-in compression, and it's price is fine. However, it looks like it's dicontinued. It looks like I can buy used, and potentially even cheaper, but I'd prefer new.

Is there a newer, equivalent board to this one, like a newer model? Not necessarily the same line or even brand; just a entry level mixer with compression around $100-200, potentially a little higher is necessary.
>>
>>61446771
yeah i try to challenge myself by making sample-based music with the most minimal shit that people wouldn't normally use. i just sampled songs by radiohead, jim o'rourke, isaac hayes, and max roach for this one and mixed it all in.

would you say that i should only have that drum crash part for when it's only the ambient part and before the main drums come in?
>>
>>61445918
bump
>>
>>61446664
I don't understand this, sorry

Are the frequencies I'm hearing on my stock sound card inaccurate?
>>
>>61446447
yeah this is a nice track, reminds me of four tet lot

probably a 90 seconds longer than it needs to be, but strong
>>
>>61447534
>Are the frequencies I'm hearing on my stock sound card inaccurate?
no, this was just bs
>>
>>61446817
Yeah like I felt like the crash was building up to the drums but then it didn't happen when I thought it was going to like they went for another bar
>>
>>61446350
this was great, thanks!

would love to know more about him layering things like sine waves to thicken drums out if anyone has more information? is it as straight forward as it sounds?
>>
>>61446806
I guess disregard this question, as I found the MG10 and the MG10XU. New question:

The XU differs from having usb connectivity. I belive this is an out, but I do have a Xonar STX with a line in. My guess is that using the Xonar would mean lower latency and better quality; is it worth saving the $50 and just going with the MG10? I don't know if I'll get use out of the XU's effects.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.