[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'M A STRAIGHT WHITE MALE IN AMERICA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 360x360
I'M A STRAIGHT WHITE MALE IN AMERICA
>>
ive got all the cuck i need
>>
>>61425255
he has a point but most of you guys wont admit it
>>
I don't disagree with him, but damn he could learn some subtlety.
>>
Why do people hate this song? The singer is saying that, even with all of his supposed privilege, he still feels terrible.

Are people here really pretending they don't have privilege as straight white males? *facepalms*
>>
>>61425345
we know what it means dumbfuck it's self hating white lyrics is cringeworthy.

>*facepalms*
back2reddit
>>
>>61425255
If you're not in gradeschool and still listen to AJJ, you should feel bad about yourself
>>
>>61425384
It's not even that self hating, it's much more saying that everyone is shit and lives like shit you cuck.
>>
>you will never see a thick rimmed glasses wearing Pendleton bearded hipster with tattoos get punched in the face

sad to be honest
>>
>>61425454
Sean is fucking hot and you can't keep running away from his sexy beard locks forever!
>>
File: 1427529102510.jpg (23 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1427529102510.jpg
23 KB, 625x626
>>61425311
>>
>>61425255
Is Andrew Jackson Jihad objectively the worst band of all time?
>>
>>61425541
i'm half bait half serious. the song does have a point considering that
1. the things he says do happen and
2. in the end his life still sucks, so the 'privilege' really means nothing at all
>>
>>61425578
sure. i'm sure you mean that coming from an 'objective' standpoint and not because they insulted your social views or anything, right?
>>
I AM A KNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE
>>
>>61425736
his life sucking doesn't negate the existence of privilege.
>>
>>61425345
No, I just don't deny my birthright or hate myself for it. The resentful may call my privilege unfair or illegitimate, but my response is that it only needs to exist to justify itself. There has never been any real equality or meritocracy, and there shouldn't be. Straight white men have not been so successful as a group merely by coincidence. Better a secure and familiar order than its destruction by another breed.
>>
>>61425736
one guy's life sucking doesn't negate the existence of privilege.
>>
>>61425831
permature post. but anyway, privilege doesn't mean you're immune to all of life's problems. just some of them.
>>
>>61425927
>another breed
lol /pol/

>>61425736
AJJ guy is in a successful band, his life doesn't suck
>>
File: hibster.jpg (85 KB, 800x688) Image search: [Google]
hibster.jpg
85 KB, 800x688
>>61425831
jeg yur briveleges!
>>
Hey, these guys are from my town.

They hang out on 5th street, which is SJW as fuck.
>>
>>61425991
being white means never having to experience the fear that comes with knowing that any jackass cop could murder you without reason and suffer no consequences.you gotta admit that's nice.'
>>
>>61426104
I imagine this is bait, but if not you ought to know that's an awfully biased statement backed up by no objective evidence.

John Oliver shouting the current year over and over is not evidence by the way.
>>
>>61426018
>SJW
Funny how that became a thing. back in my time we had no SJWs, it was called it being a decent fucking human being. And no Political Correctness(tm) either, just some things called empathy and not being a fucking douchelord
>>
>>61425981
hmmm... i bet you that his life does indeed still suck
>>
>>61425831
>>61425932
it does in his personal case. also, shut the fuck up
>>
>>61426104
i'm still waiting for the concrete evidence showing cops targeting blacks undeservedly.
>>
>>61426104
Yeah, it sucks how if were black and charged at a cop for no reason instead of obeying the law he would probably shoot me dead instead of doing what they do in the TV shows and shoot me in the arm or the leg or another one of those non-fatal places the police are trained to shoot enormous men charging towards them. I find it hard enough to obey the law as is!
>>
>>61426192
back in your time, you hadn't taken things too far
>>
>>61425736
The gender wage gap myth most certainly does NOT happen, though.
>>
>>61426104
CURRENT YEAR! CURRENT YEAR! CURRENT YEAR!
>>
>>61426192
You're obviously a millenial, dingaling. "Back in your time" kek wtf are you talking about lanklet tattooed hipster
>>
>>61426344
does it really never happen? idk
>>
>>61426192
>being a decent human being means being a raging harpy who has a mental breakdown every time that somebody says something that could be interpreted as offensive through the furthest, remotest reaches of mental gymnastics
>>
>>61426240
spotless argument 10/10
>>
>>61426104

I've seen videos of white people getting murdered by cops for less than what black people get killed for.

If you really want to change how cops are, splitting it into a race issue is literally the worst way because you already lose 50% of people who would help.
>>
>>61426407
This
>>
>>61426104
that's bullshit, white people can and should fear cops just as much as minorities do.

also,
>implying all cops are racist white cops

also, fuck your racial categorizing/painting in broad strokes.
>>
>>61426407
this is great. I'm pretty sure I've never heard an argument against the concept of privilege that didn't rely on straw men or name-calling.
>>
>>61425255

>White privilege
>No one explains what it actually is
>"I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO TEACH YOU"
>A social "science" conspiracy theory

Maybe middle/upper class white people have it great but lower classes seem pretty fucked all together.
>>
>>61426192
You really think SJWs are reasonable, empathetic people. Jesus Christ
>>
>>61426344
this is wrong
>>
>>61426416
ironic considering you failed to give a counter-argument. u mad?
>>
>>61426466
OK, here's one.

>there exist white people who aren't privileged

there's your counterexample to your implied sweeping statement that all white people are privileged.

have fun
>>
>>61425255
this song has been around for 5 years, why is it just now becoming a meme?
>>
AJJ is shit, folk punk is shit and this thread is shit but this post is the shittiest of all
>>
>>61426466
http://blog.chron.com/texassparkle/2014/05/the-myth-of-white-privilege/
http://theupsidedownworld.com/2012/05/25/the-real-reason-the-term-white-privilege-is-a-load-of-crap/
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2011/07/the_myth_of_white_privilege.html
heres some articles for you to read. if you want to be open-minded, i think you should read them and come back with some countering only if you have anything to say :)
>>
>>61426525
it's been meme for a while
>>
>>61426489
no, I'm not mad :)

there's no irony here. I can't give a "counter-argument", because you never made an argument in the first place.

I say individuals having problems doesn't negate the idea of privilege.
You say "yes it does shut up"

That's not an argument.
>>
>>61426466

I've never heard anyone explain what they mean by white privilege. It dismisses all individuals and classes. So much nonsense coming from people who promote "intersectionality" but happily forget to apply it to whites.
>>
>>61426578

True but it seems to have been brought up a lot more often recently. I just assume it's the same guy, as I do with many of the posts here.
>>
God this thread is infested with dindus
>>61425831
Hello Tumblr!
>>
>>61426512
there exist white people who lack certain privileges, yes. White women, for example, lack male privilege. Disabled white people lack able-bodied privilege. Etc.

However, in the US, all white people have white privilege. That's where the term comes from.

Sure, you might be born poor as shit to abusive parents as a white kid living in a trailer park. You life is definitely hard, and I have empathy for you.

However, you life would be harder if you were born poor as shit to abusive parents as a black kid living in a trailer park.
>>
>>61426590
i said that he personally doesn't have any white privilege because he grew up poor and he's still got a shitty life. i never meant to say that his experiences negate whatever idea of 'all whites have social privileges' that you had in mind, even though that's probably wrong
>>
>>61426691

What the fuck are you on about? Do you have any proof that black children from trailer parks have it "harder" than white kids from trailer parks? You are just saying shit that sounds close to right without thinking it through.
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 641x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 641x356
>>61426691
A fine point, but what would you do with that piece of information? It can't be measured or quantified, it's an invisible concept that's sometimes-relevant.

You can't combat (your given) definition of privilege. All actions taken against white straight male privilege result in whining or circlejerking in an echo box.

There's literally nothing to gain from identity politics other than pity points, which, again, aren't universal.
>>
>>61426691
GIBSMEDAT
>>
>>61426691
while this could technically be true, it just isn't. you fail to acknowledge personal struggles, which makes your argument end up with thinking that ANY black person has it harder than ANY white person. thinking that if someone is black they must have experienced racism or that white people are automatically economically well-off or never been bullied. the idea that you gave makes sense, but it's been dragged out into some truly self-fulfilling bullshit as of late
>>
>>61426485
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/aug/29/women-in-20s-earn-more-men-same-age-study-finds

The wage-gap mythology has been demolished for years, but it keeps coming up.
>>
>>61426691
The white kid wouldn't qualify for affirmative-action, though. That's a big hit if either of them actually make it to the collegiate application level.
>>
>>61426621
>I've never heard anyone explain what they mean by white privilege.

This is a fair point. It's not often explained.

What I mean when I say white privilege is that white people in general enjoy many societal "perks" without necessarily being aware of them. For example, there are a lot of challenges that blacks, hispanics, asians, etc. experience that white people don't. White people are treated as the "default", "normal" race, and others are made to feel like outsiders. Racial stereotypes overwhelmingly work in white people's favor. etc.

>So much nonsense coming from people who promote "intersectionality" but happily forget to apply it to whites.

Can you give me an example of how intersectionality isn't applied to whites?
>>
>>61426855
can you be any more vague with your answer? here are some things for you to elaborate on:
1. how are other races treated like outsiders?
2. what societal perks to white people have that no other race of people has?
3. what are some stereotypes that benefit white people?
4. what are some examples of white people being the normal race, outside of skincare products?
>>
>>61426691
here's another counterxample for you, you dumb cunt: there exist privileged colored people.

have fun with that.
>>
More like the privilege of not being retarded.

[X] Checked
>>
>>61426702
how does being poor cancel out one's whiteness? I agree that it seems he's had a hard life - the social systems that benefit the wealthy and mentally healthy have worked against him - but that doesn't mean that he's immune to all privilege.
>>
>>61427000
>http://blog.chron.com/texassparkle/2014/05/the-myth-of-white-privilege/
>http://theupsidedownworld.com/2012/05/25/the-real-reason-the-term-white-privilege-is-a-load-of-crap/
>http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2011/07/the_myth_of_white_privilege.html
read these
>>
>>61426691
>the only types of privilege are racial, sex-related, and disability

What the fuck about class privilege, you raging faggot?
>>
>>61426740
>Do you have any proof that black children from trailer parks have it "harder" than white kids from trailer parks?

there are a lot of ways to approach this question. Here's one: different levels of social mobility for whites and blacks; lower levels of mobility meaning if born into poverty you're likely to stay there. here's one study, first google result: http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/social-mobility-memos/posts/2013/08/28-social-mobility-race-opportunity-reeves

notice the last graph - how the white-black achievement gap widens with each step of growing up.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 223x202) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 223x202
>people still don't understand that this song is satire
>>
>>61426344
A company hires a male and a female for the same job, they will have the same starting wage, obviously. That being said, sexism causes males to get more raises/bonuses/promotions.
>>
>>61426753
I'll openly admit that I don't know the best way to combat discrimination against women / blacks / queers / the poor / etc. I just jumped into this discussion because I think this position that most people on 4chan seem to hold - that privilege doesn't exist - is ridiculous.
>>
>>614271
you tell 'em gurl! XD
>>
File: CWPaJRIUEAAdLfo.jpg (63 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
CWPaJRIUEAAdLfo.jpg
63 KB, 480x640
>>61426691
I agree to a certain extent, when you look at groups there's most likely a thing as white privilege. but I think it doesn't make much sense trying to apply the concept of privilege to individuals, there's just too many factors involved and they are all interrelated. You just end up descending into absurd hypothetical arguments that are impossible to prove either way
>>
>>61426776
I don't think I fail to acknowledge personal struggles. Like I said, poor trailer park kid's life is rough. He or she will have to struggle and work hard as hell to make it out of their lower-class station.

I never said that ANY black person has it harder than ANY white person. There are many types of privilege, and one certainly can, say, lack privilege as a black person but still enjoy it as a rich person (though, statistically, this isn't how the trend usually goes).

>thinking that if someone is black they must have experienced racism
honest question, do you have many black friends? (I'm assuming you live in the USA)
>>
>>61427103
it is cringeworthy even if it's satire. maybe even more so. If AJJ are being honest then they are sanctimonious and self-congratulatory, if they being ironic they are also end up sounding extremely sanctimonious and self-congratulatory. I fucking hate this band
>>
>>61426946
>there exist privileged colored people.

yes, that's right! :) you're starting to catch on.

this is called "intersectionality". There's more than one type of privilege.
>>
>>61427103
hard to believe based on how cucked they look
>>
>>61427064
yes, I'll give those a read. pardon me if I don't reply immediately, I'm kinda getting bogged down in replies at the moment.
>>
>>61427128
How is it "sexism" that women choose to leave the workforce to have kids? Because that's the cause of the gaps that emerge later on.

The only way to "correct" that would be to intentionally pay males less than females on the basis of gender, which, even in 2016, probably isn't going to go over very well with half of the workforce...
>>
>>61427066
>What the fuck about class privilege...

yep, class privilege is a major thing.
also, are you seriously this angry? please read my posts more carefully. nowhere did I state that I was giving an exhaustive list of all types of privilege.

>...you raging faggot?

there's also straight privilege :)
>>
>>61426475
This, I spent 3 years on the streets after getting laid off in 2009. Cops treated me exactly how SJWs describe the way the treat minorities. Because I was homeless in a relatively small town (40k), and my usually dirty appearance, I got my ass kicked a few times, harassed constantly for busking for food or dumpstering. And doubly so when I traveled especially the south.
>>
>>61427390
if you were black, you'd most likely be dead by now, consider yourself lucky
>>
>>61427439
If I was black I would want to die
>>
>>61427245
I agree that it's difficult to apply broad concepts to individual cases. Does one REALLY know that privilege or lack of privilege is responsible for person X committing Y action? Not really, people are complicated.

I do think that privilege is still a useful and thus valid concept though. I remember once not-so-subtly pressuring a black friend of mine to smoke up with me during a music festival. I didn't get why he was so reluctant. The cops don't care here! It's a festival, everyone's doing it! I didn't realize until he pointed out some time later how uncomfortable he was. He didn't have the same assumptions about the cops being reasonable that I did. And I think a lot of that comes with race.
>>
>>61427346
If a woman willingly leaves the workforce she is no longer under consideration for that statistic. And you really shouldn't be firing pregnant women.

Why are you certain that's the cause of the wage gap?
>>
>>61425345
>*facepalms
>>
>>61427128
l-mao
>>
>>61427602
Yeah, /mu/ is basically tumblr at this point.
>>
>>61427567
>If a woman willingly leaves the workforce she is no longer under consideration for that statistic

They most certainly are. Look at the structure of the studies which claim to have found "wage gaps."

I'm quite certain about this because I researched it a while ago for a position paper. I was agnostic on the matter before then, but not afterwards. It has become an unquestionable piece of popular wisdom even though there's no basis for it in the modern age.

These studies also use ludicrous analytical techniques like comparing all workers to all workers without accounting for field.
>>
File: 1412892317375.jpg (34 KB, 726x592) Image search: [Google]
1412892317375.jpg
34 KB, 726x592
>this thread
>>
>>61426934
1. you've heard the whole "yeah but where are you ACTUALLY from?" thing before, right; the casual assumption that people who are visibly non-white aren't "really" Americans in the same way whites are. that's one example. also every example of rightist "take OUR country back" rhetoric ever.
2. not being held up as a representation of one's race instead of an individual; broadly higher levels of trust in social institutions, like the police, working to protect them; not being subject to racial sterotyping - this kinda plays into question 3 -
3. in the US, racial stereotypes are overwhelmingly negative towards non-whites. mexicans sweaty and dumb, blacks are even dumber and prone to violence, asians have tiny dicks and cannot be masculine, jews are greedy (straying a bit from race but you get my point), etc etc. There are a handful of supposedly "positive" stereotypes, such as asians being good at math, but these aren't the norm, and these generalizations aren't exactly great either.
4. this is largely answered the same as #1
>>
>>61427439
I've woken up on several times with multiple guns in my face, screaming contradictory orders just waiting for an excuse for shoot me so don't come at me with that, the only reason I'm alive is because I'm not retarded and did what the guy with the gun in my face said. It's completely down to socioeconomic status, poor whites deal with as much bullshit with the law as any other racial group, the statistics just skew towards non whites because more non whites are poor as a consequence of lack of opportunity after the abolition of racist laws of the past. The poor tend to stay poor and people who come from poverty who end up successful tend to dissociate from their family because they come with their hands out. Like someone else said, upper middle class and higher whites definitely benefit from so called white privilege, but the poor get no such consideration, especially if they're not the Murica crowd.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.