[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is stoner rock a real genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (36 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
36 KB, 1920x1080
Is stoner rock a real genre?
>>
a real shit genre, whos with me?
>>
its a label. like grunge is a label.
>>
Stoner Rock combines Blues Rock, the psychedelic elements from Psychedelic Rock, and the repetitive riffs of Doom Metal. Guitars are tuned low, the bass is heavy and tempo is mostly slow-to-mid. The vocals and production are usually raw.

The term stoner rock comes from the genre's connection with the use of marijuana, stoner being a slang term for a user of cannabis. It is sometimes believed that the bass heavy and psychedelic sound is meant to enhance the effects of drugs. The roots are in '60s and '70s bands like Black Sabbath and Blue Cheer, but what is called Stoner Rock today was pioneered by Californian bands such as Kyuss, Sleep and Fu Manchu.
>>
I guess. Anything can be a genre really since it's just a classification of style.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASrptIfKfc8 It can be pretty dope, Pink Floyd aint stoner rock though
>>
>>61424024
Yes, it's as valid a genre as any other.
>>
>>61424139
What would you define as stoner rock then?

name some bands/albums if you can
>>
>>61424087
This, and if you're implying Pink Floyd is stoner rock, you're way off.
>>
>>61424165
Kyuss, Sleep and QOTSA are the first that come to mind, although Sleep are more metal than rock.
It's essential a subgenre of hard rock that uses a lot of heavily downtuned guitars, plenty of distortion, bluesy composition, elements of psychedelia, and shares a little in common with doom metal.
Also lyrics may or may not reference weed.
>>
>>61424165
Truckfighters in the link above is one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaMbKZPBruU
Stoner Rock is more modern

>>61424087
has the right idea. Check out Radio Moscow, Firestone, Druid.
>>
>>61424049
I came to say this, thanks anon.
>>
>>61424024
this makes me wonder if stoner metal is real genre; it's a lot more distinctive a sound..
>>
is dr pepper a real doctor?
>>
Is Mr Pibb a real mister?
>>
>>61424318
that's a bit heavy for stoner rock imo
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.