[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys, I need your help. I have no fucking idea how to get into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1450838120651.jpg (45 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1450838120651.jpg
45 KB, 400x400
Guys, I need your help. I have no fucking idea how to get into Swans because they have a shit ton of albums.

What albums must I absolutely listen to? Any particular order?

>inb4 check out this chart mate
>that really didn't help me desu
>>
if a spoonfeeding fucking chart didn't help, then you're a lost cause dude. How do you even remember to breathe?
>>
Chronological order
>>
>>61417993
Go chronologically if you feel like you really can take it. If not, start with Children of God or The Seer.
If those are too hard, start with White Light from the Mouth of Infinity and move onto Love of Life.
Fit the SWANS EP in there somehow.
>>
>>61417993
I dont even know who Swans is but the best way is to start from the beginning of their discography to the end so you see how they progressed and get a feel for what era of the artist you like best.
>>
>>61417993
>can't get into Swans
>cartoon image
>meme phrases

Fuck off
>>
>>61417993
Chronologically until Children of God, then skip to Soundtracks.
>>
File: Gira.jpg (164 KB, 594x396) Image search: [Google]
Gira.jpg
164 KB, 594x396
>>61418098
White Light to Great Annihilator aren't that bad, what's the bug up your ass for?
>>
>>61418150
I thought it sounded like a bland version of Swans, then recovering for their final album. If you like their other albums you should listen to those, though.
>>
first 3 songs on soundtracks and disc 2 of the seer were the first ones to click with me
pleb
>>
Chronologically until Public Castration.
Then stop.
>>
File: Gira_Old.jpg (590 KB, 1240x827) Image search: [Google]
Gira_Old.jpg
590 KB, 1240x827
>>61418200
I have, and that's why if you can't take earlier SWANS you should check out White Light through Great Annihilator. I actually love some of the interludes on Love of Life.

>>61418201
The first 2 tracks of Children of God for me.
>>
>>61418272
Get a load of this pleb
>>
>>61418301
I guess you think To Be Kind is the best album of all times.
>>
>>61418389
No but I think it's a good album
>>
>>61418389
Not him, but you seem like a tryhard who only likes noise rock/no-wave SWANS.
>>
>>61418389
god damn it why are tripfags so universally stupid?
>>
>>61418455
the good ones try not to be noticed.
>>
>>61417993
How fucking hard is it for you newfags to read the sticky?
>>
I always see the Seer recommended as a start album and for me it was an album that put me off and first few listens

To Be Kind did it for me and is my favourite in their discography.

The Seer has grown on me but I was really put off it for a while.
>>
>>61418432
Well, everyone have different tastes.
>>61418437
Those are the only albums i can really like.
Love of Life and all that bunny stuff was just a watered down, soulless Children of God.
Soundtracks for the Blind is awesome, but some tracks are awful.
My Father Will... is basically Angels of Light.
The Seer is cool, and To Be Kind is basically a droneless The Seer rehash.
I was just telling OP what i think about Swans but then everyone got mad because 'AYY LMAO TRYHARD, MUH TO BE KIND'
>>61418455
Go to sleep, Gira.
>>
File: Think creatively.png (75 KB, 297x249) Image search: [Google]
Think creatively.png
75 KB, 297x249
>>61417993
Heres what I do if I'm ever not sure
>Go to RYM page for artist
>Click on the most interesting thumbnail in their albums section
>Look at the genres. If its a combination of tags I like, I listen to it
>If none of the tags or album art particularly pop out at me as interesting, I just start from the beginning of their discography
But for Swans I started with Soundtracks. It kind of ended up being a bit underwhelming. I really fell in love with White Light and The Burning World, because I'm a trash goth.
>>
The first Swans album I listened to was To Be Kind, and that almost put me off them for good, but I decided to give them another chance.

Soundtracks For The Blind was the album that clicked for me.
>>
Can we all at least agree that Children of God is one of the better albums to start with?
>>
>>61418595
The bunny albums are more focused than children of god. It's overall more cohesive, tender, slow, and have a more existentially nihilistic tone to them. It's just not for people used to mid tempo rock stuff.

>>61418744
Yeah. Its got a bit of everything. Including Jarboe, the queen of darkwave.
>>
>>61418595
>is basically Angels of Light

Angels of Light > Swans
>>
>>61418901
Angels of Light is a bit of an anomaly. It's interesting in its own right because it's completely unlike every other band in its genre (gothic country). People may not like Angels of Light, but if you listen to contemporaries such as The Dead Brothers, Reverend Glasseye, and Ashcan Orchid, you'll see they work on a completely different wavelength
>>
>>61417993
who fuckin cares dude stop being so tryhard
swans are meh anyway
>>
>>61417993
Start with filth, then the seer, then white light from the moth of infinity. Not necesarily their best albums but those three will give you a wide representation of their different styles and phases. The seer is my favorite.
>>
Does anyone else think Hypnogirl on Soundtracks for the Blind sounds like Devendra Banhart?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.