[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that /mu/ thinks it can call music shit when they don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 1450799478448.jpg (121 KB, 680x581) Image search: [Google]
1450799478448.jpg
121 KB, 680x581
Why is it that /mu/ thinks it can call music shit when they don't play an instrument, don't know music theory, and haven't listened to any music outside of popular music from 1950-2015?
>>
Interesting
For once op is not a complete faggot

To answer your questions it is because they are all fat greasy Virgins with nothing better to do than harass people just because their opinions don't perfectly match theirs
>>
>>61412032

What instrument? If I only play a guitar, am I qualified to have an opinion on any genre, or only genres that contain guitar? Do I have to be able to play every instrument used in an album to be able to judge said album?

Also what kind of music theory? Just western, or eastern as well? You know there are several types of music theory that often conflict with each other, right? And generally they only teach one of them in western schools...

What is wrong with preferring 1950-current music? Classical isn't for everyone. Not liking one thing doesn't mean you can't like anything.

3/10 b8
>>
Keep trying to justify your music education, OP. In the meantime we’ll all be enjoying music.
>>
>>61412032
But all three points you just cited don't apply to me
>>
>>61412032
I can do all of those things but I don't really like calling music shit
If someone likes something I don't like, I just rec them stuff that's a middle ground between what I think is good and what they think is good
>>
>>61412032
Why is it that OP thinks they can say we can't call music shit when they don't not play an instrument, don't not know music theory, and haven't not listened to any music outside of popular music from 1950-2015?
>>
>>61413383
>Also what kind of music theory? Just western, or eastern as well?
lol
>>
File: BITCHES_BREW.jpg (1 MB, 2704x1418) Image search: [Google]
BITCHES_BREW.jpg
1 MB, 2704x1418
>>61412032
Just gonna add a point to this discussion, but sometimes music isn't best criticized by those who play the instruments. Take for example, Bitches Brew: It was pretty hated by Jazz musicians of the time, but now it is considered one of Miles Davis' greatest works.
>>
>>61413479
Too bad not everyone on the board is like you
>>
>>61413479
unrelated, but
>>61408776
>>
>>61413542
We need to eliminate the shitposters first and foremost
>>
>>61413540
>It was pretty hated by Jazz musicians of the time, but now it is considered one of Miles Davis' greatest works.
There are exceptions to every rule.
>>61413429
>enjoying music
>calling it shit
lol
>>61413516
hmm?
>>
I mean I'm a classically trained bassist, I know music theory, and I've played music outside of popular music from 1950-2015 as well as listened to it so
>>
>>61413590
>hmm?
I'm saying how can you tell someone who doesn't do those things what they can and can't comment on when you don't know what it is like to not do those things. Reflecting your flawed logic back at you.
>>
>>61412032
Jokes on you I was a music major. Swapped because of the shitty pay.
>>
>>61413568
Oh thanks so much mate downloading that rn

>>61413595
Nice, fellow bassist.
Working on any pieces at the moment?
>>
>>61413654
>when you don't know what it is like to not do those things.
I'm sorry, are you telling me that it's good to not know anything about music? Please fuck off.
>>61413668
So you don't like music?
Why are you here?
>>
Except I meet all of that criteria.
>>
>>61413687
>because of the shitty pay
>>
>>61413676
No because I'm a college student on winter break but once the semester starts up again I'll do something new unless I play the 2nd movement of the Koussevitzky again. I also started to branch out to the jazz bass world a little bit and that's been interesting
>>
>>61412032
none of those things apply to me, fuck off pls
>>
File: haram.jpg (25 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
haram.jpg
25 KB, 240x320
>>61413429
>enjoying music
>>
Now Playing:
ıllıllı [Mats-Morgan, Mats-Morgan - The Music Or The Money... (1997)] ıllıllı

1) Because even people who have done all the things you mention have bad and conflicting opinions on music with each other.
2) Because qualifying an album as shit or not could have nothing to do with music theory (but it should with knowledge of the context of the music from that era)
3) Playing an instrument doesn't make you evaluate creative expression better than anyone else
I say this from the perspective of someone who knows how to play an instrument, knows music theory, and has listened to music outside the range you mention.
>>
>>61413757
That sounds pretty cool.
I've been busting my chops on upright and electric recently playing through the Bach string quartets and transcribing Charlie Parker solos. It's been right fun so far
>>
Now Playing:
ıllıllı [Mats-Morgan, Mats-Morgan - The Music Or The Money... (1997)] ıllıllı

>>61413687
You can like music and study something that isn't music, you know?

>>61413479
But what if you like to evaluate the quality of music instead?

>>61413542
Discussing about why music is good and bad can also be a good thing in case you are implying otherwise.
>>
>>61413687
>I'm sorry, are you telling me that it's good to not know anything about music? Please fuck off.
No, that's not what I was saying. My gosh you are dim.
>>
>>61412032
>how can you consume x if you don't produce x
>how can you enjoy film if you haven't made a film
>how can you read a book if you haven't written a book
>>
>>61413795
Sounds like fun. I haven't practiced in a while. I should probably do that again
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.