[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/jazz/ General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: loungelizards.jpg (510 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
loungelizards.jpg
510 KB, 1280x720
What do you guys think of the Lounge Lizards?
>>
is this jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPuanBHf4iA
>>
One of my biggest jazz regrets is not seeing Lounge Lizards live when they came to town in the 90s when I was beginning to dig jazz (I old)

I like most things John Lurie has evere done from music to painting to acting to fishing show (especially that) and Voice of Chunk is a legit great album IMHO.

Anyone who likes Lounge Lizards should check out the posthumous John Lurie National Orchestra album Invention of Albums
>>
>>61396872
>Fishing With John
I just started watching it and it's god-tier. I'm surprised /mu/ doesn't talk about it since it would be up this board's alley.
>>
all right.
Charles Mingus
where do i start?
>>
Been getting into early swing, bebop, and cool jazz recently. Been building my way up chronologically to the 70s and the free jazz era, to get better perspective on that time in the genre.

>>61397004
Mingus Ah Um
>>
lounge lizards are great, discovered them through marc ribots music, john lurie i saw in down by law/stranger than paradise before i knew he was a musician, but everything ive heard and seen from him has a rare kind of comfy-ness to it

does anyone have a link to fishing with john soundtrack
>>
Love the Lounge Lizards. Their first album and the Live 79-81 tape are my favorite (mostly for that Arto Lindsay guitar nastiness). John Lurie is supposedly working on an autobiography. That should be hilarious.

>>61397267
I can upload it for you if you're still here.
>>
>>61397004
Blues & Roots is a good start
>>
>>61397578
>>61397028
thanks pham
>>
I really want to get into more jazz. I've listened to the entry level stuff like The Black Saint, Love Supreme and Spiritual Unity. I really liked all of them, Black Saint the most. Any more regrets would be hugely appreciated.
>>
>>61397501
please do if u r still here
>>
>>61398049
Saxophone Colossus.
>>
>>61396718
The pianist of that band, Evan Lurie, was the guy who made the soundtrack for that Backyardigans children's show.
>>
>>61398049
Try Out to Lunch! by Eric Dolphy and Complete Communion by Don Cherry.
>>
>>61398147
I would say if he's entirely entry level bebop and free jazz are bad places to start

>>61398100
This is a good rec

>>61398049
Listen to all of the following artists:

>Wayne Shorter
>Charlie Parker
>Dizzy Gillespie
>Sidney Bechet
>Duke Ellington
>Louis Armstrong
>Dave Brubeck
>Count Basie
>Chick Webb
>Thelonious Monk
>Art Tatum
>Fats Waller
>>
>>61397501
Saw Arto Lindsay live with Marc Ribot last summer - it was pretty great
>>
Fedoracore as fuck

This "lol vintagesuits punk jazz" shit from the 80s is the equivalent of Steam Powered Giraffe and Electro Swing.

Terrible. Just Terrible. John Lurie can suck my fuckin dick
>>
>>61398205
>I would say if he's entirely entry level bebop and free jazz are bad places to start
Not everyone has to start at the most accessible, he liked Spiritual Unity.
I'd say early jazz is not as good place to start looking at what he liked.
>>61398205
Also, from your list I'm only missing Parker and Gillespie, I downloaded their music today and plan on listening to it tomorrow, what should I expect?
>>
>>61398205
>wayne shorter
>no coltrane

good man. Do you play sax?
>>
>>61398205
Hey, just saying that experimental sounds and styles are no problem. Currently listening to the Sonny Rollins album and I'm loving it!
>>
What are the characteristics of a great jazz drummer?
>>
>>61398205
Thanks for the recs man. Will surely give them all a fair listen.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 660x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 660x370
>>61398084

here you go: https://www.mediafire.com/?jym224o2k0t5moi

if you haven't heard them, both John Lurie National Orchestra albums are pretty similar (the 'archival' one that came out last year actually has a few FWJ tracks on it).
>>
>>61398278
I guess, but I'll uphold that it often gives people the wrong idea about what jazz as a whole is about
When you listen to stuff like that because it "sounds cool" without appreciating the background that it came from, I just feel that people miss out. Again, I recced stuff that would also be up his alley, but a bit earlier on, for some context

As for Parker and Gillespie, expect more bebop and chord-based playing in Parker's work, and more "pop" and conformity to general structure in Gillespie's work
Both great, though

>>61398279
Nah I play bass, but I knew several saxophonists when I was playing in jazz bands

>>61398288
Oh, of course! Just want you to see the full spectrum and not get stuck in a niche part of such a wide genre!

>>61398297
Rhythm, taste, personality
>>
Jazz
where start
the only artists I've listened to extensively are Billie Holiday, Carmen McRae, Frank Sinatra and Abbey Lincoln as well as some Miles
is most of what I listened to even Jazz at all?
>>
>>61398409
no shit. I've been playing sax for a minute but bass for about 6 months. Coltrane gets boring. Potter is my favorite, but as far as old saxes go, it's shorter. Who is the ax for snarky puppy? hopefully he is realized one day
>>
>>61398344
thank u friend, the show always had such cool music. ive only listened to the invention of animals by JLNC which was cool and reminded me of the fishin with john music, still need to listen to the rest of lounge lizards music aswell, gonna check out that 79-81 tape
>that cheese fishing
>>
>>61398435
Generally, yes, what you have listened to so far is jazz. I usually entirely disregard Sinatra but that's a different story.

In terms of vocal jazz, the essentials are Armstrong, Billie Holiday. Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, and Sarah Vaughn. From there, you can move onto cool jazz and west coast jazz, as well as early swing and "sweet music", the melodic earlier sounds of jazz before bebop.

Then, as you wish, you can build up and approach any other style you want
>>
>>61396718

I know Steve Piccolo and He's DA MAN :)
>>
>>61398482
My favorite sax slingers are Morgan, Hawkins, Shorter, Parker, Rollins, Getz, Henderson, and Young
>>
>>61398251
you sure are a millenial
>>
>>61398435
Sinatra
Jazz

>What
>>
>>61398409
>Rhythm, taste, personality
Please expand.
>>
>>61398595
>Rhythm
A good drummer cannot just keep rhythm, but manipulate it. Whether they play ahead of the beat, behind it, or directly on it, they can use a variety of different feels to propel the whole ensemble forward.

>Taste
To never be to extravagant or minimal with fills. Put the right rhythms in the right places. and make sure they're never self-indulgent or oblivious to the dynamics of the rest of the ensemble

>Personality
A unique sound, to stick out, but still support the rest of the band. Lead, but also support, and to have a distinctive flair of your own

Just what I've observed over time.
>>
>>61398646
*too

Was typing too fast
>>
>>61398646
>>61398672
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa0zlhgPxjY
listen to this. This dude is math jazz before that concept was a thing
>>
>>61398745
Oh, of course I know Don Ellis! Excellent fusion and avant-garde composer, and basically what I mean by good drummer/trumpeter
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.