[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone here on /mu/ self-taught themselves how to play an instrument
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: huh.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
anyone here on /mu/ self-taught themselves how to play an instrument consider themselves any good?

how long did it take you to get to that level of skill?
>>
>>61396590
what exactly counts as self taught?
I used internet videos to learn guitar, piano and drums.
7 years for guitar
3 for piano
1 for drums
I can play some pretty difficult stuff on guitar, my piano and drum skill are alright but nothing great.

being self taught is as good or better than any teacher

both Guthrie Govan and Shawn Lane are self taught and are technically two of the greatest of all time,
also are two of my personal favorites.
>>
I'm self taught on sax, for 10 years
bassoon for 12
bass for 6 months (but practicing this the most so getting pretty good)
my speciality is arranging and composing though

I would say I became good after say 150 days of 3-4 hour practice. Music is work. I have two jobs, my menial one and when I get home, I practice
>>
>>61396590
Taught myself bass in combination with lessons and while I'm no Jaco I'm alright at the instrument
Took me about 1 year to get comfortable and start playing difficult pieces

Taught myself guitar and some drums as well
>>
>>61396590
why does his cello look like it has multiple strings where there should be one? I don't think it was a drawing mistake because it is quite detailed,
is that actually a thing? How would it stay in tune?
>>
>>61397122
because he's not real
>>
self taught myself guitar, some bass, and some keyboard

Im shit at keyboard and bass, been playing guitar for like 4 years, I can jam, know some theory, and can play hendrix
>>
taught myself bass through tabs. for whatever reason i was vehemently against watching videos for help.

i haven't really progressed since the first 7 or 8 months and it's been 2 years. feels like i can't without getting lessons and/or studying theory. also worried that i picked up a ton of bad habits along the way

4/10 fun for a while but sucks when you plateau
>>
I refuse to consider myself even remotely decent until I can play "Komm, süßer Tod" perfectly on the piano.
>>
>>61396590
I'm of those guys who care a little too much about technique when playing an instrument.A good teacher should definitely make sure your technique is on point while playing but as long as you're an active member of a community, I think you'll be fine without a teacher.

Get to know, talk and play with other people, not only in front of them. You'll get experience and feedback like no YouTube video/teacher cam give you. Also, realize some of that valuable advice will come from teachers or students... as everything in life, knowing the right people makes a big difference.
>>
>>61397841
Is it very hard? I'm considering making this my goal as well.
>>
Is it really self taught if you used the inner ne
>>
>>61396590
12 years drums
10 years guitar

I consider myself as good as you can get casually without getting extremely serious about it. I'm at the point where most people either quit or sort of drift away from the hobby
>>
I've been playing piano self-taught for about 11 years now, though I only got a piano for myself about 2 and a half years ago.
I'm okay I guess, I kinda wish I had lessons since I think my technique is poor.

Post your bad playing lads
https://clyp.it/5xkikjok
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.