[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NYE Guy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 2015NYR.png (423 KB, 1213x665) Image search: [Google]
2015NYR.png
423 KB, 1213x665
I made a New Years resolution last year to listen to 500 albums by the end of the year.

The purpose of this post is to show /mu/ that such a bullshit resolution can be rewarding and a lot of fun.

So please, ask a new mutant about what I listened to or how I accomplished my goal, and Happy New Year!
>>
Did you listen to close to the same amount everyday or binge during periods of time?
>>
>>61391655
I little bit of both.

Listening on the go was how I got through a lot of albums. I felt more inclined to listen to folk or dadrock with earbuds, but would listen to music with more demanding production with better headphones.

Weekends were when I could listen to up to 5 or 6 albums a day. On average, I would say I listened to 2 albums a day.

Most everything I listened to I repeated again at a later time, especially if I liked it or found it difficult to understand.

Thanks for asking!
>>
Best and worst album you listened to?
>>
File: actor-caster.png (847 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
actor-caster.png
847 KB, 560x560
>>61391755
The best album I listened to... Very difficult question. Probably have to give it Wayne Shorter's Night Dreamer (1964). The guy never wastes a note.

I found myself returning to The Radio Dept.'s Pet Grief and Autechre's Incunabula a lot. Every time I listen to Bark Psychosis's Hex, I find myself drawn in even more so I want to mention that also.

This is the album I probably enjoyed the least this year. Was a friend's suggestion. Just the most generic indie rock you could imagine.
>>
How did you choose albums to listen to?
>>
>>61391707
I'm guessing you didn't count repeats in your goal? Do you have a complete list anywhere?

Props to The Yellow Shark btw, I think that's an underrated album in Zappa's catalog. His classical period near the end of his life was one of his best.

And kudos to you! Congrats on completing your goal!
>>
>>61392225
Charts, sharethreads, and RYM were a constant source of information about good music. I would cross-reference between these a lot and would try out music from all genres.

My goal with this project was to widen and deepen my musical tastes. Ratings on music were influential to what I chose to listen to, but not necessarily how much I enjoyed it. For the most part, it is still a solid indicator.

I listened to more jazz and hip-hop/rap than I had in all my previous years.
>>
How did you avoid burning out?
>>
>>61392364
No, I did not count repeat but my desktop player counts plays. On-the-go plays were not recorded.

I got this album from my girlfriend's dad. He is a huge Zappa fan. I love G-Spot Tornado, and he knew I liked the Jazz from Hell version. Do you have any classical-like works of Zappa I should check out?

Thanks, buddy! I don't know if I can do it again next year. I am running out of hard drive space, unfortunately.

If there is more interest and time-willing, I will post my full list and a top 100. It is New Years Eve after all.
>>
i'm gonna try to do this in 2016. any advices?
>>
>>61392640
Great question. I rarely did burn out, but I would sometimes just take a couple of days to re-listen to albums that I didn't "get" the first time around, or ones I had fun with. Weekends that were busy for me, socially, didn't involve listening to much music. I would sometimes listen to music while playing Dota or Project M, where it wasn't my main focus.
>>
>>61392832
Frequent sharethreads and contribute if you can.
Follow your ears and your tastes.
Listen to jazz. Even if you don't like what you have heard, you are bound to find something that pulls you in.
Step out of your comfort zone.
Collect, if you can.
>>
>>61392875
Do you mean collecting physical media or digital media? I found when I was going through a ton of new music that collecting eventually became a problem because I had so many albums but was unable to make a connection with the majority of them, and then ended up not having a strong sense of what I really liked.
>>
>>61392925
Digitally. Personally, having music in a universal medium is something special. I buy CDs and convert frequently, when I can afford it. Bandcamp is also killer.

I can give you suggestions! What are some of your favorite artists/albums? Or what have you been listening to lately?
>>
>>61392364
>>61392732
I managed to export my 2015 playlist as a .xps file. I'm uploading it to Dropbox now and I will share a link to it when it is done. Gonna take a shower and check on it in a bit.
>>
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1n7lk7ad2d49jc1/NYR2015.xps
>>
File: fsjal-fox.png (9 KB, 299x276) Image search: [Google]
fsjal-fox.png
9 KB, 299x276
bump
>>
>>61392732
Studio Tan is a good one. I'm real partial to Regyptian Strut.
>>
>>61391589
How has your musicak taste changed? Is there a genre you are no longer interested in after this experience, and is there a particular genre you are enamored with now?
>>
>>61394720
*musical

Fuck
>>
>>61393012
Recently a lot of Destroyer and Jim O'Rourke. Also some Dean Blunt, Todd Terje, and Circulatory system. Kinda just been in a rut where I haven't been listening to much new music at all.
>>
Bummed that this didn't get more posts, but cool concept and great follow through op
>>
>>61394631
I'll check them out, thanks!

>>61394720
To be honest, it really hasn't by much. I discovered that I don't have much of a taste for metal anymore and that I really enjoy psychedlic pop/rock. I discovered that the period between '65 and '75 is stacked with great music. I now try to pay more attention to the lyrics in hip-hop, instead of mostly just the beats.

>>61394763
Nice. Couldn't get into Terje's latest work but I do like Eurodans and Ragysh. Have you heard The Notwist's Neon Golden?

>>61394787
Me, too. Appreciate the bump and feedback!
>>
>>61395026
Enjoying this Notwist album, any other random recs?
>>
File: skalpel.png (289 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
skalpel.png
289 KB, 1000x1000
>>61395361
Currently listening to this. Found it in that polish guy's Mega collection. It's some jazzy downtempo stuff, similar to Squarepusher. Gives me a classy James Bond vibe.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.