[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did IDM even need its own genre name? All the artists that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 600x450
Why did IDM even need its own genre name? All the artists that make it and the music itself already fits into pre-existing genres.
>>
Because it's not a genre
>>
File: autechre Draft.jpg (256 KB, 1101x1079) Image search: [Google]
autechre Draft.jpg
256 KB, 1101x1079
what genre is this
>>
>>61373069
Experimental Techno and Glitch
>>
>>61373165
It's not glitch, and experimental techno is as broad as indie rock.

Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>61373427
And IDM isn't broad and complete vague? At least experimental techno is more referential to the music - Draft 7.30 is certainly not dance, and you certainly can't quantify intelligence in music. And even if you wanted to throw it in with IDM, it's hardly related to what IDM was in the first decade of its conception. There are certainly glitch elements to it as well. The beginning of V-proc or the majority of 61E.CR.
>>
>>61373842
IDM doesn't literally describe the music in the same way Rock music isn't made with rocks.

Experimental techno can be anything from Pan Sonic to Massive Attack. IDM involves intricate drum machine patterns and emphasis on texture.

Genres evolve, and can have more than one specific definition. IDM can be the first way I described it, OR it can be analogue synth heavy ambient music.

IDM isn't a term that's going away any time soon. The term is stupid, but it is suitably descriptive. Not literally descriptive, but descriptive none the less.
>>
>>61374107
IDM is more a (broad) scene/association than a genre. Boards of Canada and Autechre are two of the foremost, premier artists and they have next to nothing in common, besides a similar fanbase...na son its not a genre

Also, techno is defined by pulsing synths and repetitive rhythmic and melodic patterns, so of course experimental techno can be a valid genre. I see IDM as similar to "psychedelia"...useful for classification, but everything about the actual music could be completely different
>>
>>61374466
Boards of canada isn't IDM. It's downtempo techno.
>>
>>61374659
Maybe I inadvertently contradicted myself in the post, but BoC is pretty well-known as "IDM". But I'd agree; I would call them downtempo, with techno and trip hop moments. I don't think of any artists as "IDM" bc it is much more vague than any of the genres it encompasses, like techno, ambient, downtempo, drum n bass, drill n bass, jungle, etc etc
>>
IDM was an advertising term, simply. Honestly it never really found a core, it just went through so many variations that I just don't see how it can be defined as a genre. What many people "perceive" as the quintessential IDM sound really only lasted from 2000-2005, and died shortly thereafter (also most of it was closer to breakcore/drill n bass honestly)

>>61374107
It's funny that you mention Pan Sonic, because I honestly relate Autechre to them more so than most of the "IDM" artists that they're often grouped with.

Also, I've never heard as Massive Attack referred to as experimental techno, they're pretty much purely trip-hop.

>>61374659
Again, this is an issue with IDM as a GENRE. Stylistically and musically they're downtempo, yes, but they're lumped into IDM because no one knows what it REALLY means. Like >>61374466 said, IDM was more of a scene thing, and Boards of Canada were a part or it.
>>
>>61374797
IDM doesn't encompass all of those, it's its own thing along with all of them. A subgenre of DNB and jungle.
>>
>>61374917
No, it was originally a subgenre of techno and breakbeat hardcore.
>>
>>61374917
See this confusion lines up with what >>61374801 pointed out. It's hard to say what IDM *really* is, because it was born out of an amorphous and diverse scene. As a result, what you think of as a distinct genre is considered to be more or even less broad by others.
>>
File: t. alberto balsalm.png (508 KB, 528x516) Image search: [Google]
t. alberto balsalm.png
508 KB, 528x516
AYO
*synthesizes mumbling*
HOL UP
*moves chair*
HOL UP A SEC
*plays synth melody*
SO YOU SAYIN
*sequences scissor sample rhythmically*
WE WUZ
*samples metal clanging*
SOM FINNA
*introduces high synth melody*
EYE DEE EM
*changes main melody*
N SHEEEEEIT
>>
why are we having this thread again?

we settled this last time I made my rare lonesome journey from /fit/ and posted this album.

9/10 times it's not even dance music
it's elecctronic LISTENING music

But don't worry, "IDM" is here to stay.
>>
I mean it's clearly a different Genre, just IDM is the dumbest genre name I've heard of since Progressive.
>>
>>61375403
When I saw Mt Saint Michel + St Michael's Mount live I was definitely dancing

Although it was difficult

Also 99% of /mu/ posts daily are a rehash of previous discussions, what are we supposed to do, be creative?
>>
>>61375403
But no one is calling it electronic dance music. That's the thing, what we know as "IDM" was a variant of club music, a less danceable and more "experimental" one, sure, but still a different take on it. It's funny that you posted that comp, because it's really not that far removed from the techno that was popular at the time, especially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtJdd2LKc6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVp6NH59d3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHkdH294UAc
>>
>>61373165
>Experimental Techno

That's just another name for IDM, dude.
>>
>>61375709
I think you mean the other way around, but that was kind of my point - the term IDM as a genre is unneeded.

Though to be fair, what is labelled as experimental techno is not always related to what people think of as "IDM." Artists like Neil Landstrumm and producers on labels like Opal Tapes come to mind.
>>
>>61375669
damn, i forgot how nice some of the tracks on that compilation are.
>>
File: kate_bush_costume2.jpg (363 KB, 900x1122) Image search: [Google]
kate_bush_costume2.jpg
363 KB, 900x1122
>>61373165
>already fits into pre-existing genres
>glitch

Right, because 'glitch' is a totally useful and watertight term. Apart from being equally shitty and vague, it also didn't exist as a genre when IDM emerged. 'Glitch' was not really a genre until the late 90s; IDM started in the early 90s.

However, I agree that 'ambient techno', 'experimental techno', and even 'post-techno' are all better terms than 'IDM'.
>>
File: 5645.jpg (6 KB, 205x245) Image search: [Google]
5645.jpg
6 KB, 205x245
Why do we still catagorize music into genres? It's 2015, artists just make whatever sounds their hearts want too on their computers without a care for marketing it to a defined genre
>>
>>61377761
>without a care for marketing it to a defined genre

In your dreams
>>
>>61377667
Oh yeah, sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that "glitch" was a thing when IDM as a concept was first conceived (then again, many 2000s IDM is based of ideas and genres that weren't necessarily around in the early 90s), I was trying to give an alternate to what Draft 7.30 could be called. Though I don't really see the issue with glitch, the scene was much more controlled and defined, and also occupied a smaller space than IDM, even if it still is slightly vague.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.