[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some smart high school students want to major in Music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: flute.jpg (160 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
flute.jpg
160 KB, 500x375
Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Dentistry, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE)

Some high school students who got extremely good grades in their finals (i.e. good enough for Medicine in non-American countries) decide to major in Music. Why would they pick that?

It's a waste of their good marks to pick Music. The field is hard to break into. They pay is also significantly lower than many other fields. And really, all jobs become boring over time and each job has its own shitty aspects. Playing the same songs on a piano each day will become dull over time. And if you become a Music teacher, you need to deal with kids who don't give a shit about music.
>>
I got a 4.0 in high school, college credits in calculus, history and english, and a high enough SAT to get into an Ivy League School. IQ of probably 138.

I'm just better at music than I am at anything else. Music is easy. And I love it.
>>
>>61361756
You can earn more by being a lawyer though. And really, all jobs are stressful.
>>
>>61361770

Being a lawyer sucks dick unless you love being a lawyer. And yes, I have considered becoming a lawyer before. I even worked as a legal assistant.
>>
>>61361803
And do you think being a musician is really better? If so, how? Do you really think that playing the same pieces every day is not boring?
>>
>>61361831

I'm a music producer, my job is always different. I specifically avoided being a performing musician because I'm not good enough at it, even after years of diligent practice. Yes, being a music producer is easily the best job I've ever had, even with the huge amount of stress and insecure finances.
>>
>>61361855
You really enjoy your job? I get the sense that most people who say that they enjoy their jobs are lying or implying that it is not the worse job ever.
>>
>>61361716
Copy pasta from /ic/
>>
>>61361958
/thread
>>
>>61361855
How did you get into paid work? Are you constantly freelancing? Any tips for someone wanting to get into this?
>>
>>61361716
Some people like to learn about things for themselves, instead of as part of a career.

Some people just want to know how music works.

I went to university to learn how to write for orchestra, and within 2 years I had a piece recorded by our national orchestra. Seems like it worked. Now I can write in any style and have the ability to write for any player or combination of players. Also gives you some excellent self-analysis tools and planning tools that make planning and executing pieces of music easy.

>>61361890
>>61363712
Not him, but I got into paid film work by meeting film makers, doing music for them for free and then jumping on board when they started getting paid jobs. One way would be to find a start-up film company and become their go-to composer, another way is to spam people with your excellent showreel (yes it has to be excellent). Meeting people who need the kind of music you want to make is the key connection. How you do that and which area that leads you into will be up to you.

Film work is stressful, you never have quite enough time, you will be asked to change things you really like or think work extremely well, you just have to deal with it and try to accommodate what the director / client wants.

You need to realize the most important thing is pleasing the client, and that what you actually want to write is completely secondary to this fact. You start with "what does the client want" and then see what parts of that you already know how to do. After that you do some research to fill in any gaps
For example: Write a 20 second string quartet in the classical style, then a 30 second slow-jam wah fest with synth and epic drumkit, then write 50 seconds of "60s housewife / Heinz Keissling" style music for string orchestra, woodwind and percussion.
This was part of an actual project I did, not even the craziest bit.

Imagine all this, and then you have 2 days to deliver the finished project.
>>
>>61361716
>The only purpose of being taught something is to take that thing up as a profession.
>>
>>61361716
Why would you get into medicine just because you can? It's usually extremely stressful and the pay is nowhere near that of other fields that require similar or even lower cognitive abilities. Only go into medicine if you have some experience witht he field and really want to work there.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.