[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I got one of these with a turntable for Christmas, and since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: amp.jpg (19 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
amp.jpg
19 KB, 425x425
So I got one of these with a turntable for Christmas, and since I heard pretty mixed things about it I'm wondering if it will be adequate for a pair of bookshelf speakers, or if I'm better off returning it and putting the $25 toward some active speakers instead. Opinions?
>>
I have this amp and a pair of Dayton bookshelfs for my woodshop. It does well for me. Totally depends on your space and how serious you are with audio quality, man
>>
>returning it and putting the $25 toward some active speakers
what Id do
>>
>>61350754
I'm no audiophile, and my setup will be in my small bedroom. If I go the passive route, I'll probably get the micca mb42x's
>>
>>61350599
I have that + micca mb42x. SOunds good. Active speakers are a simpler setup but not as versatile (i.e. you can't switch out speakers and amps independently)
>>
That isn't a phono pre-amp, so you'll need one of those, but yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find a better amp for $25. Unless you build one yourself or find a cheap gainclone
>>
>>61350599
get the micca mb42x man, if you are a broke ass (which you are since you bought this, but so did i when I was broke) this combo will give you a killer bang for your buck. I still use mine for my computer speaks and they sound great even in a pretty big room. Got a proper yamaha receiver and some infinitis + a sub for my main stereo.
>>
File: 1445771323448.jpg (61 KB, 826x862) Image search: [Google]
1445771323448.jpg
61 KB, 826x862
>>61351682
btw to follow up, active speakers are never ever ever a good choice for home use unless you're DJing or something.
>>
>>61350782
>>61351123

the amp does sound good, the speakers I've heard are great too. But if this combo is like an 8/10 sound wise, if you spent maybe ~$50 dollars more you could find something that's maybe an 8.6/10 sound wise, which may end up being worth it over time.

Lepai 2020 + micca Mb42x, 8/10
Topping tp 20 (or any topping) + Pioneer BS 22, 8.5/10

I gotta say, Topping products are incredible. I have a lepai 2020 that I've modded (put in much better quality parts) and it still sounds, maybe 80-85% as good as my topping. And the topping looks better, will last longer, and was not much more expensive considering the addition parts I used in the Lepai. Definitely a worthy amp in any audio setup.
>>
>>61351711
actives are certainly not the best choice
>>
I have this same amp running Pioneer BS22LR's. Sounds really good. Goes nice and loud too... Though I'm not exactly playing house party volume levels in my apartment. Running from a rega RP1. Do recommend - I don't think you can beat it for the price.
>>
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna stick with this and get the mb42x's
>>
>>61352217
yeah theyre nice little speakers for the price. and if you don't like them you can always return them if you buy on amazon.
>>
>>61352217
you will enjoy them and it makes me happy that you've invested in great sound
>>
Lepais are known for being shipped with under-powered power supplies that will provide just enough amperage to run it but can handle higher amperages which equals a more powerful and clean signal at high volume

research your specific Lepai model on google. You need a power supply with the same voltage but more amperage (usually from a monitor screen)
>>
>>61352791

This seems to be the most common recommended replacement, does it look alright? http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Adapter-Charger-Benq-Monitors/dp/B003Z6ZR5O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
>>
>>61352923

I don't own a Lepai so I couldn't tell you, but if google "[your lepai]+that power supply] says its safe and proven, then I'd say go for it
>>
>>61352791
Oh really?

I bought one for a pair of Sony bookshelfs I bought during black Friday and the power didn't even work at all. Luckily I noticed it had the same plug as some of my external HDDs and it works great with that.
>>
>>61353388

EVERY time you buy a pair of these cheapo T/D class amps you're 99% guaranteed to get an underpowered power supply. Them chinks gotta cut corners mayne

I should've said virtually every one of these amps' power supply should be upgraded
>>
Reading this thread is making me consider doing the same setup with my new T92.

I understand I'll need a pre-amp? Will this one work?
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PP999-Phono-Turntable-Pre-Amp/dp/B00025742A
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.