[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John & Paul were the only ones who had any sort of impact
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: the-beatles.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
the-beatles.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
John & Paul were the only ones who had any sort of impact on the world of music. The other two were entirely inconsequential. Do you agree?
>>
File: McC6807-06-Beatles07.jpg (141 KB, 650x439) Image search: [Google]
McC6807-06-Beatles07.jpg
141 KB, 650x439
No, Paul is a shirtless monkey and john is a raving madman. George and his trusty sidekick ringo kept the balance.
>>
Ringo is the luckiest man in Music, and George deserved better
>>
I don't care about that (we all know George Martin is the only Beatles that matters anyways), but I think that "What's New Mary Jane" is one of their best and most important songs they ever made.
>>
>>61348443
>a song not released to the public until 1996 was The Beatles most "important" recording
top kek
>>
I don't agree.
I think George and Ringo had equal merit.
>>
>>61348232
Ringo established the idea of drummers just being there for the band and not overplaying, not underplaying either. If it hadn't been for Ringo, absolutely everyone and their mom would try to be fucking Mitch Mitchell or Keith Moon

also Yoko made the best music on her own out of any of them
>>
File: true.png (40 KB, 585x269) Image search: [Google]
true.png
40 KB, 585x269
>>61348232
lol who cares
>>
>>61348486
>also Yoko made the best music on her own out of any of them
thats ridiculous
>>
>>61348510
i wonder what they all listen to
>>
>>61348479
>popularity measures musical relevance
Well, if you think so, then I can't disagree with you.
>>
>>61348519
>helped found noise rock
>helped establish screaming in music
>made krautrock in 1971

the Beatles' studio releases obviously win, but in a solo competition, Fly beats absolutely everything John, Paul, George, or Ringo ever made on their own
>>
>>61348533
It's not about popularity, it's about impact and how many people and musicians it's influenced. The song is either I Want to Hold Your Hand or A Day in the Life. Any other choice is ridiculous.
>>
>>61348560
John's guitar playing on the Yoko/Plastic Ono Band record is insane.
>>
>>61348527
Captain Beefheart, The Doors, Faust, the list goes on...

>>61348573
>musical relevance is measured by influence
In that case ADITL wouldn't fit anyways (and that's my choice for Beatles' best song)
>>
>>61348232
For a long time I used to think that Paul > John but in all honesty, John > Paul. Sure, Paul's got Let It Be, Michelle and Hey Jude but just listen to Julia, Good Night, Revolution 9, Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite, A Day In The Life and others and tell me John's not the better songwriter.
>>
>>61348596
ab-so-fucking-lutely
>>
John>Paul>George>Ringo
It's not that difficult...
>>
>>61348610
ADITL is just the pinnacle and the conflagration point of the most famous people on the planet reaching a breaking point, having been stalled and pacified and "tolerated" by their record company on the previous two records. It's the beginning of the end and the end of the beginning of pop music. It's also the beginning of the end of The Beatles.
>>
>>61348560
>>helped found noise rock
>>helped establish screaming in music
>>made krautrock in 1971

I wish I could go back in time, marry John Lennon and wail like a fucking retard over his guitar playing so other retards in the future would think that I was an avant garde genius

https://youtu.be/D750pEKhfd0
>>
>>61348711
>It's not about popularity, it's about impact and how many people and musicians it's influenced.
ADITL influenced almost nobody.
That's where I'm disagreeing with you, because it makes your argument on musical relevance being linked with musical influence lose it's coherency.
>>
>>61348560
>helped found noise rock
When?
The Ethix were already playing Noise Rock in 1966
>helped establish screaming in music
When?
The Monks already did that in 1966
>made krautrock in 1971
Pink Floyd were already making Krautrock in 1967
>>
>>61348682
Switch Paul for John and there we go
>>
>>61348756
>ADITL influenced almost nobody.
How can you say that? It influenced Robert Fripp to get into rock music, for one. There's no way anyone can read Ian MacDonald's writing on The Beatles and A Day in the Life and not see it as their largest and most important musical statement of all.
>>
>>61348779
>pinkfloyd
>making Krautrock
Regardless of the prog-ness of Krautrock, it wasn't Kraut-rock until germans started playing it.
>>
>>61348801
Musically speaking, I meant. Of course it did influence a lot of people to make music, but their music wasn't based on ADITL.
And yes, I have read that before.

>>61348816
It was Krautrock in style

>>61348783
Impossible
>>
>>61348838
define post-rock
>>
>>61348779
>Pink Floyd were playing krautrock before it was a thing

>the Monks
>a group absolutely no one knew of back in the day
come on now
>>
>>61348862
Later. I don't want to get into that discussion now.
>>
>>61348838
>Musically speaking, I meant. Of course it did influence a lot of people to make music, but their music wasn't based on ADITL.
Musically-speaking, I think it's the peak of their catalogue and has more to say, especially lyrically, about the world they existed in, than any other Beatles song. And as for music based on A Day in The Life, it's a huge, weird, epic song, hard to make or identify stuff that sounds like it. It sounded like it was from another world in 1967.
>And yes, I have read that before.
You've read Revolution in the Head?
>>
>>61348862
you can't, let alone a retard like avant math God being able to define it
>>
>>61348738
i get that you haven't actually listened to Fly and are real mad, but try to get some taste next time
>>
>>61348867
I was gonna make that argument, but I didn't know enough about the group to say that.

>>61348862
Post-rock is any experimental rock that is inspired by the acts called post-rock earlier, and any experimental rock that falls under the general style established by those earlier acts.
>>
>>61348867
>Pink Floyd were playing krautrock before it was a thing
Is there anything wrong?

>the Monks
>a group absolutely no one knew of back in the day
This is just wrong

>>61348891
>Musically-speaking, I think it's the peak of their catalogue and has more to say, especially lyrically, about the world they existed in, than any other Beatles song.
Not what I'm arguing.
Remember what you said about musical relevance being musical influence? Well, that's where I disagree with you.

>You've read Revolution in the Head?
No

>>61348895
Because anyone else (like you) could do it a lot better than me, right?
>>
>>61348943
>Remember what you said about musical relevance being musical influence? Well, that's where I disagree with you.
I would like to expand on that. Influence is only part of it. The music itself is also part of it. A Day in The Life, simultaneously utterly original and completely natural, asserts itself over every other Beatles recording in that regard. Even Strawberry Fields.
>No
That's where Ian MacDonald makes the case for it. It's just about the most useful Beatles book ever written, if you're interesting in learning about the recording of each of their songs, even if much of what he says is very disagreeable.
>>
>>61348943
if you're really trying to tell me that just because a band did something first but few to no people knew about it, that this discredits a larger act doing it later, you're insane

it's a pretty well-known fact that the Monks were nobodies for a looooong time until they were rediscovered

Yoko screamed. The B-52's jacked her screams for Rock Lobster, voila
>>
George Martin and Brian Epstein are the real Beatles mvps.

Every one else is inconsequential
>>
>>61349074
Yeah George and Brain would've been a real hit, I can see it now
>>
>>61348999
>I would like to expand on that. Influence is only part of it. The music itself is also part of it.
If only you would have said that earlier...
That's why I say What's New Mary Jane is one of their best songs (not necessarily their best though).

>That's where Ian MacDonald makes the case for it. It's just about the most useful Beatles book ever written, if you're interesting in learning about the recording of each of their songs, even if much of what he says is very disagreeable.
I have read a few excerpts from it it seems. But my point is another one. That ADITL never influenced anyone from a musical perspective.

>>61349007
>if you disagree with me you are insane
14 year old logic right here.

Also, a band that released a full album and some singles during their lifetime isn't a band that "few to no people knew about".

I only said they did it before Yoko did, that's all. I don't know why you started arguing about their popularity and stuff nor how is that relevant to a fact.
>>
>>61349104
holy fuck

you actually think just because a band can put out an album and some singles means that they can't be totally unknown? Especially back in the 60s when garage bands would record and make songs for jackshit?

tip top lel why talk out of your ass if you don't know the industry?
>>
>>61349104
>If only you would have said that earlier...
That's why I say What's New Mary Jane is one of their best songs (not necessarily their best though).
Never was a huge fan. I think it's status as a lost treasure in EMI's vaults gave it an undeserved reputation amongst fans.
>I have read a few excerpts from it it seems. But my point is another one. That ADITL never influenced anyone from a musical perspective.
There's no way to know this.
>>
>>61349174
Whatever. Keep ignoring the rest of my argument.

>>61349260
>Never was a huge fan. I think it's status as a lost treasure in EMI's vaults gave it an undeserved reputation amongst fans.
Of course, not everybody has to like it, my only point is that it was one of their most relevant songs.

>There's no way to know this.
Well, we know that The Moody Blues influenced King Crimson from a musical perspective, so yes, we can know this, and so far, I don't think I have heard any music influenced by ADITL.
>>
>>61349306
>Of course, not everybody has to like it, my only point is that it was one of their most relevant songs.
Relevant to who?
>I don't think I have heard any music influenced by ADITL.
How would you know if you did?
>>
>>61348943
>Because anyone else (like you) could do it a lot better than me, right?

Basically, yes
>>
>>61349343
>Relevant to who?
To you
See
>Remember what you said about musical relevance being musical influence? Well, that's where I disagree with you.
>I would like to expand on that. Influence is only part of it. The music itself is also part of it. A Day in The Life, simultaneously utterly original and completely natural, asserts itself over every other Beatles recording in that regard.

>>61349343
>How would you know if you did?
I wouldn't, but so has nobody else.
>>
>>61349380
Go on then. I'm waiting for your definition.
>>
>>61349381
What's the New Mary Jane isn't relevant to me, I never listen to it, don't really care about it.

As for musical influence, it's just a hard topic. If your only method of acquiring information is hearing if music sounds like other music and going "Ah! See! Influence!" you won't get far.
>>
>>61349467
>What's the New Mary Jane isn't relevant to me, I never listen to it, don't really care about it.
>to me
That's completely fine, but not what we were talking about earlier, nor according to your definition of what musical relevancy was. According to your own definition of relevancy, that song is relevant, regardless if it's relevant to you.

>As for musical influence, it's just a hard topic. If your only method of acquiring information is hearing if music sounds like other music and going "Ah! See! Influence!" you won't get far.
Well, that's how it works, and we have gotten pretty far with it. Musical genres being the best examples of this.
>>
>>61349402
"Later. I don't want to get into that discussion now." isn't even a definition, literally any definition would be better than your cop out.
>>
>>61349518
Genre classification and influence aren't the same thing. Musical approaches and recording can ba influenced. Doesn't mean the final product sounds the same, but they can be influenced all the same.
>>
>>61349518
A Day in the Life is relevant to just about everyone more than What's the New Mary Jane. It's been covered a shitload of times and is the generally agreed-upon meeting point for the Beatles' creative peak. WTNMJ is, er, not exactly that.
>>
>>61349561
You said you could do better, but you can't even propose a definition. Now, that's a cop out!

>>61349569
Musical genres are based on similarity, and musical influence is based on similarity too. I don't see the problem with determining influence based on similarity then.
>>
>>61349623
Influence is based on that, and it's pretty surface level, is what I'm saying. Much more creatively can and does go into music than simply the end result.
>>
>>61349623
I know you're mentally deficient but you don't have to embarrass yourself like this in every thread you post in
>>
George was not only the best musician, but the 2nd best song writer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhVX7GSw8I
>>
>>61349619
>A Day in the Life is relevant to just about everyone more than What's the New Mary Jane.
Not according to your definition
>It's been covered a shitload of times and is the generally agreed-upon meeting point for the Beatles' creative peak. WTNMJ is, er, not exactly that.
I don't disagree, but that doesn't make WTNMJ irrelevant according to your definition.

>>61349675
>I know you're mentally deficient
Middle School is calling, kid! They want their insults back!
>>
>>61349715
Who did WTNMJ influence?
>>
>Ringo wrote Thomas the Tank Engine
>>
>>61349730
>Who did WTNMJ influence?
Nobody.
>Who did ADITL influence?
Nobody.

Keep in mind we are only talking about musical influence here.
>>
>>61349808
You can't say A Day in the Life didn't influence anyone. It's too big not to. And besides, it's, like I said, their most complete and insightful musical stsmatenent as a band. WTNMJ was a fucking doodle, fooling around, Lennon has said as much. ADITL is the end of a musical universe on vinyl.
>>
>Sleeping on George Harrison

You silly cunts.
>>
>>61349859
>You can't say A Day in the Life didn't influence anyone.
From a musical perspective? It doesn't seem so. Or do you have a counter argument to that?

>And besides, it's, like I said, their most complete and insightful musical stsmatenent as a band.
But how is that relevant when it comes to musical relevancy?

>WTNMJ was a fucking doodle, fooling around, Lennon has said as much.
But it fits with your definition of musical relevancy.
>>
>>61349889
Harrison's solo work was as patrician as it gets.

He didn't have GOAT Yoko to pass artistic yeld upon.
>>
>>61349917
Influence goes beyond just "thing sound like other thing lol" you dumb shit
Goodnight, another evening ruined talking to you, brain dead sack of shit
>>
>>61349975
>Influence goes beyond just "thing sound like other thing lol" you dumb shit
Tell me how, then.

>Goodnight, another evening ruined talking to you, brain dead sack of shit
lol
You are the only one complaining, maybe /mu/ isn't for you, darling c:
>>
>>61350056
reply to my post you autistic fuckwad
>>
>>61350056
Hey Avant you read that Hume yet?
>>
>>61350208
What post?

>>61350538
I managed to read about one third of it, but thanks for reminding me, because I have a lot of time to read now!
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.