[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Having trouble really liking Built To Spill. What am I not listening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: built-to-spill.jpg (59 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
built-to-spill.jpg
59 KB, 306x306
Having trouble really liking Built To Spill. What am I not listening to that I should be? Am I doomed to forever see them as "almost Modest Mouse?"
>>
what are you listening to?

I dont think the new album really sounds anything like modest mouse except maybe his voice a little
>>
>>61339147
I listened to Keep It Like a Secret. Didn't click for me.
>>
>>61339200
I'm actually not very familiar with them but I love the fuck out of the new album

incredibly solid but the peaks are a little too subdued for my top 10 aoty
>>
>>61339200
That's interesting. That's the first album by them I listened to and by the first strum of The Plan I was fucking hooked.
>>
>>61339252
The only song that really stood out was Carry The Zero. However, I had this same problem with Wilco and Fleet Foxes. They kinda bored me to the point where I got frustrated and was like "I want to like this band but I can't". I eventually ended up liking them both. Have seen Wilco live and they are fantastic. Maybe one day I'll understand Built To Spill.
>>
no but you are doomed to have garbage taste
>>
Try Perfect From Now On. It's what got me into them.
>>
OP do you happen to like emo? Because Built to Spill is like Modest Mouse if you took all the emo out of em.
>>
my tinnitus got fucked up from seeing them in january this year. i was at the very front. was worth
>>
>>61339316
Yeah dude I recently saw Built to Spill live and they definitely delivered. If they happen to have a show near you in the future I recommend taking advantage of that opportunity. Their opener is usually Helvetia, which has Jason Albertini and Dove Amber from Duster, if you like that band.

Who knows, maybe seeing a band live is the best way to having their music click for you.
>>
>>61339129
Why don't you try listening to Perfect From Now On
>>
>>61339461
I will listen to this before I go to sleep tonight
>>
why is the end of I Would Hurt a Fly the catchiest thing ever, /mu/
>>
>>61339477
Cool
>>
>>61339494
Update: OP, here. Listening to this song now. It's pretty good. I'm at the part where he's soloing. I feel this band relies more on instruments where modest mouse relies more on lyrics. So far I give this song a 7/10
>>
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH LOVE 10/10
>>
>>61339316
That's because you can't just like an artist by listening to one album for one time. Give them time, give them many listens, and they'll eventually click. Or maybe it's just not your band
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.