[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting beat making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_inline_mzub4z5Vog1r2pkqp.gif (878 KB, 400x311) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mzub4z5Vog1r2pkqp.gif
878 KB, 400x311
So i'm trying to get into beat making, but I dont know where to start. Is there any experienced beat makers that could point me in the right direction on where to start?
>>
>>61327615
not even trolling or whatever, but reddit is objectively better for what you're looking for man
>>
>>61327615
Download a DAW and start arranging drum sounds around loops in pleasant sequences, then do it again and again until they stop sounding corny.
>>
>>61327651
yeah wasn't sure, haven't browsed /mu/ much. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>61327695
thats so ambiguous, like what DAW is good for beginners im not just gonna jump into something like abelton. do i need a midi keyboard? what else do i need, what you posted isnt very helpful or coming from experience. sorry.
>>
>beat making
from the fact you said this, i can tell you:

have an actual passion for music and art. proactively engage with EVERYTHING. listen to more music, of every style and genre, before you start making it - otherwise your own will be horribly bland and shitty, and you'll join the other troves of fucking soundcloud producers who have nothing to offer and all sound the same.

don't make "beats". make music.
>>
>>61327615
Literally get a program and start playing around with it. Once you have a better idea of what you don't know how to do, look up how to do that
>>
>>61327754
so because i didnt say i want to produce music you can tell that i only listen to a couple genres? Please get off your high horse and realize people use different words for things. I say beat making specifically cuz i want to make rap beats i dont wanna make some crazy idm music. im not aiming to make THE GREATEST MUSIC OF ALL TIME im fine with being someone who posts beats on soundcloud without making money on it. Slow your roll little boy and realize not everyone wants to be a famous musician.
>>
>>61327751
I'm not him but

>what DAW is good for beginners
Fuck the beginners part, just get Logic

>do I need a midi keyboard
No but it helps

>what elso do I need
money, or know how to torrent things
>>
there's two sides

1: all the technical shit. to the end of learning it, you should put yourself on a schedule of rigorous practice. do the kanye 3 beats a day. copy other producers. do tutorials

2: learning how to be creative as a habit. watch the john cleese video on creativity.

that's it mane
>>
>>61327906
any specific reason to just outright buy logic? i mean obviously is a serious production DAW compared to things like FL studio, but im just doing this for fun. That being said im totally down for dropping some cash into it but i just wanna make sure im not wasting money on an expensive DAW when it wont really do much more for me than a less expensive DAW. I also saw a launchkey at my music store for like 100$ is that something thats worth buying? thanks for the help
>>
>>61327751
Why not just jump into ableton??? They're all pretty complicated, and don't let anyone trick you, there is no right or wrong way to use a DAW. There is always more than one way to achieve certain sounds, and everyone has their own workflow that works best for what they're trying to do. Personally I'd suggest getting renoise and some midi drum pads if you want to really focus on "beats" and rhythms. It looks intimidating at first, and I'm not a big fan of the tracker thing, but it basically functions like a better version of an MPC, and the layout is pretty conveniant compared to something like FL Studio
>>
>>61327983
If price is the issue then I understand, and you can just get FL studio. I assumed you'd just be torrenting shit, in which case you might as well get Logic because there's no reason to get anything dumbed down. But FL studio should be completely fine. I don't know about that specific midi controller, but it looks fine It's small, but it's useful to have keys because plugging in shit with a mouse can be pretty unintuitive and slow right when you're trying to quickly jot down something you just came up with.
>>
>>61328050
Mainly cuz ableton is 500$+ i cant justify spending that much on a DAW at a beginner level, especially since this is a hobby thing and not a career thing.
>>
>>61327983
don't buy anything without trying it first. A lot of equipment has a pretty low ceiling in terms of what you can achieve with it. The Launchkey looks ok, but I'd try it out first
>>
>>61328105
Yeah I dont torrent often but i guess in this case theres no real reason not to considering to price and i can just spend that extra cash on a better piece of equipment than the launchkey, I appreciate all the help i wasnt expecting much considering where i am.
>>
>>61328176
No problem

Keep us updated on your progress in /prod/. Check the catalog, there's usually a /prod/ thread
>>
File: image.png (52 KB, 520x353) Image search: [Google]
image.png
52 KB, 520x353
Hey lads. I've been working on some Edm music stuff lately and I was considering getting the plugin Massive for fruity loops. What are your thoughts on it?
>>
>>61327906
You wouldn't know any good websites to torrent shit. I'm not turning up any good results for some plugins
>>
>>61329036
rutracker.org

It's in russian so use google chrome to translate the pages and register. Plugins can be hard to find torrents for, but rutracker should most everything you need
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.