[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else get more awkward than usual walking into here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: Guitar Center Logo.jpg (189 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
Guitar Center Logo.jpg
189 KB, 1000x563
Anyone else get more awkward than usual walking into here?
>>
yes because the sales associates work on commission so they're extra type-A aggro "hey bro" about shit like they're used car salesmen only with lots of scene kid tattoos and piercings and shit
>>
That happens to me in any music store, have no idea why

Record stores too
>>
>>61321586
You want to show off but think you'll just come across as an uneducated dweeb
>>
>>61321518
every time
i feel like im either gonna get judged for being "one of those guys" when i try out equipment and dont like it and leave
>>
>>61321518
i wish there was an alternative guitar store for me to go to cus gc has a weird atmosphere. when i come all the staff are usually hanging out talking to each other and if i wanna buy something i have to go up to one of them. one time i was with my dad and he went to ask a guy to ring us up and the guy started running when he saw my dad coming towards him. it makes me feel better about my skills tho when i hear some guy badly playing nirvana
>>
>>61321518
As a casual player who loves playing rhythm, I feel very intimidated when I sit down and some dude comes too close with his obnoxiously loud, fast playing.

>>61321558
Also this, it's really annoying.
>>
I don't have a guitar center near me. All the guitar stores in my area are run by up tight old people and they're always paranoid of people stealing.
>>
>>61321518
Yeah, I always get really awkward when trying out instruments there.

>>61321558
Also this, the place leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I prefer small music shops where the people that work there are nicer.
>>
>go to the keyboards section cause i need a keyboard
>testing them out
>start playing God Only Knows
>hear someone storm in
>its Mike Love
>WHAT IS THIS DEPRESSING SHIT
>ITS NOT BEACH BOYS FUN
>get kicked out of the store
Fuck guitar center
>>
>>61321518
>>61321708
To follow up, I've played acoustics there in the soundproof room fine, but whenever it involves plugging something in like an electric guitar I am always so awkward and usually don't bother with it.
>>
>>61321518
No. I'm just better than most other people there, including anons ITT apparently
>>
>>61321558
I hate how the guitar center associates always pretend to own every piece of gear that you're looking at then when you ask them something about it they either say something straight from the manual or make up bullshit. I was asking this dude if the on board compressors on this mixer are good and he tells me "they are good on vocals and guitars" s m h.
>>
>>61321732
Kek
>>
>>61321999
this is very true,
I usually research a pedal before I buy it but at guitar center I had and listen to a guy tell me what a tremolo does then explain that the used earthquaker devices pedal I wanted to buy was from the 80s
>>
>>61321558
This.
Same with fucking GameStop in a way.
>>
they get mad at me when i go in there and want to test out their synths
>>
They've straight up ripped me off multiple times.
>>
>>61321732
Awesome
>>
File: 1434292544621.jpg (6 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
1434292544621.jpg
6 KB, 250x200
>>61321624
>one time i was with my dad and he went to ask a guy to ring us up and the guy started running when he saw my dad coming towards him

wtf is there anything more to this story?
>>
>>61321965
then you have an inflated ego. Nobody goes to Guitar Center to hear other people play.
>>
>>61323767
nobody goes to that guy's shows to hear him play either
>>
I've spent a butt ton of money at GC, so they all know my name and that I don't need pressure.

It's nice because I've seen them straight up walk away from idiots to come help me.
>>
my wife's son nathan its such a piece of shit, he always goes into that store to play stairway to heaven and leaves
>>
>walk into guitar center
>hear a mashup of smoke on the water, teen spirit and enter sandman
>>
File: BvKsg0TIcAAgeMA.jpg (36 KB, 595x633) Image search: [Google]
BvKsg0TIcAAgeMA.jpg
36 KB, 595x633
>>61324194
kek
>>
I just go to GC for low prices on pedals and used gear now. Ever since I visited it once and asked to try out a few fuzz pedals and the guy ended up telling me I'd like the MT-2 Metal Zone because " It gets a real good fuzz tone"

I just nodded and agreed, and then bought a little big muff pi.
>>
>>61321518
I actually got like 70% off a new guitar, a case, and a cap by talking with some older dude about the dead because he noticed my shirt.
>>
Is it possible to get good commission and NOT act like an annoying salesman?
>>
Nah, it's the one place I feel most confident. Because I know I can crush everyone in the store with my skills.
>>
>>61324861
By leaving me alone and not hovering over me when I'm trying something. 10/10 times I've bought something it has been from a guy that lets me try shit out in peace. I make it a point not to buy something if it's a pushy seller.
>>
I'm afraid someone's gonna take pictures of me doing something weird and post it on /mu/
>>
>>61323468
>Listens to Oasis
>Goes to GameStop

Yikes.
>>
>>61321518
if you walk in there with a plan, it's never awkward. you're either going to get a guy who can tell your experienced and will help but not bother you, or an irritating little shit. it depends on your skill and luck honestly
>>
>>61325034
I haven't been to gamestop in over two years because I don't play video games anymore.
>>
>>61324861
I work on commission and giving people there space is one of the best ways of selling shit.
>>
Used to work at one about 3 years ago, you are basically forced to sell X amount of sales and like 2-3 credit card applications a month. Most people there are scum, just looking to make numbers for the month. I actually got in trouble once for not trying to upsell a kid who came in with birthday money and knew exactly what he wanted.

The employee discounts were really nice though. Basically worked there until I got most of the gear I wanted and then quit
>>
>>61324379
I love shopping for used pedals there. Lots of weird shit comes in.
>>
File: bobbur.png (343 KB, 408x600) Image search: [Google]
bobbur.png
343 KB, 408x600
>>61321518

I fucking hate guitar center.

>walk in
>3 people are all trying to play metallica, none of them are in time
>there's a middle aged man who made a point to turn his chair around so he's facing the rest of the store while he plays hacky blues phrases
>the clerk who's supposed to be making sure no one steals is half asleep, laid up on the folding table
>of the 11 employees in the store, only two seem to be floating around helping customers
>ask to try out a pedal
>"I want to look at the Obscura"
>"What's that?"
>"A pedal by digitech"
>"Is that the pink one that goes *mimes bizarre pitch bending sound*"
>"No. It's the tan one, right there. *points*"
>*grabs a Polara out of the display case*
>"... No, the one next to it. The tan one."
>"Oh okay here you go"
>awkward pause before I actually have to ask for a power cable & 1/4" cables
>"oh theyre just floating around the store already, just look around"
>find dozens of power strips but literally one fucking 1/4" cable
>go back and tell the guy I need another one
>throws a minor hissy and acts like I'm interrupting his paid shift by expecting him to do his job
>sit down to finally mess around with the pedal
>16 year old comes and explains to me that the shitbox amp I chose to demo on is the one he wants to buy
>move over to the next one over to be a nice guy
>his whale of a girlfriend comes over and asks him how long they have to stay here
>he starts trying to play the riff from "beat it" to impress her
>she's literally just playing on her phone the whole time
>about 20 mins later i've heard what I wanted to hear, and go to check out
>clerk keeps trying to steer me towards buying a boss distortion pedal instead for some reason
>insists its the one him and his band use
>this man is at least 35 and balding
>ask what he plays
>"we're a led zeppelin/black sabbath cover band"
>tries to give me info on their next show

Only solution is nuking them all from orbit.
>>
>not buying used gear, killing two flies by saving money and actually not supporting GC

plebs
>>
>>61326781

Yeah christ what was I thinking, I should have just gone to one of the 9 used guitar part shops in town. Glad I have more options than just guitar center to go and try out used hardware in person.
>>
i used to. i go there so many times now that i'm kind of over it. there's a cacophony of guitars, basses and keyboards at any given time in the store anyway so it's not like anyone's listening to me.
>>
>>61326805
If you wanna be a total leech, big chain stores are good places to get a feel for what to look for when looking around craigslist (I'm guessing, I'm not american so I don't really know what sites you use for buying and selling used stuff).
I tried out a Blackstar HT Club 40 combo and fell in love with it, store had a price tag of 5000 kr or something (about 600 usd). I went home to think about it and found a used HT Stage 60 for 4500 kr. Needless to say, I bought that shit.
>>
>>61326805
I mean unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there are probably at least 2 shops you can go to.
>>
>>61321518
>spot the autismo
>>
>>61325034

Fuck you man. You can't deny the impact Oasis had on modern music especially in England.
>>
>>61326202

LOL I must have been my salesguys dream. I just copped some dope, did a bunch in mt car, walked in high as fuck, grabbed a telecaster with absolutely no money in my pocket, asked to apply for a card, and walked out with the shit. Hardly even played the thing. He didn't even need to pressure me I was so fucking high.
>>
>>61327431

Local shops typically get crowded out by the big shops, a lot of the ones around here just sell Squiers or S101s, and very rarely will they have something worth *trying* let alone buying in the used case. A lot just offer lessons and utilitarian items, and some don't even sell strings or picks. So, yeah, I put up with the big stores. Usually I'll try something in store & pick it up from a wholesaler later (sweetwater, MF, etc).
>>
>>61327431
I bought my best guitar from a small music store, I don't find shit worth buying around here at my local guitar center desu.
>>
I only buy consumables at GC (strings, picks, stands, straps).

99% of their guitars there suck but sometimes I snag used rack gear that I won't find anywhere else, not even on TGP.
>>
>>61325523
>Still listens to Oasis
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.