[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most personal David Bowie album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: David-Bowie-007.jpg (18 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
David-Bowie-007.jpg
18 KB, 460x276
What is David Bowie's most personal album? I'm a huge fan but most of his work it seems like he's playing a character. I was just curious as to what's his most personal or even spiritual album?
>>
Probably Heathen
>>
File: bowie.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bowie.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
>>
He said heathen is not about himself and is about a fictional man. It's hard to say, because a songwriter obviously puts their feelings into their songs, but it's impossible to gauge to what extent they identify with their product.

My guess for Bowie is Hunky Dory or Black Tie White Noise because of the wedding stuff.
>>
>>61321237
Bowie has been playing characters for almost his entire career. Get used to it, man. We'll never know the REAL Bowie.

>>61321288
This was basically the only album where he wasn't acting, but I mean, you could also tell Hunky Dory was coming based off of that album art.
>>
Station to Station, the cocaine made him spill his heart out.
>>
>>61321562
Basically just Golden Years and Word on a Wing, though.
>>
>>61321237
That song he allegedly made for his wife.
>>
Station to Station I think represents him in a time period of his life.
>>
File: 1993_btwn_cvr_fix_800sq_0.jpg (80 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1993_btwn_cvr_fix_800sq_0.jpg
80 KB, 480x480
>>61321237
I mean its aged about as well as milk, its still his most personal album
>>
Station to Station or Hunky Dory
>>
>>61321621
fuck you I liked it
>>
>>61321837
This. Also his brother killed himself at this time which shows on a few tracks. I get a feeling Berlin Trilogy, Station to Station and Reality/Heathen are his most personal. Same goes for Hunky Dory.
>>
>>61321856
why do people say Hunky Dory is his most personal album? I get that Berlin Trilogy would be since it was his rehab from from cocaine, but why Hunky Dory?
>>
>>61321887
Changes. He wrote a song for his newborn son, songs about or in the style of people inspiring him (including Bob Dylan and Andy Warhol, and The VU) and The Bewlay Brothers was kind of about his brother.
>>
Scary Monsters always struck me as somewhat of a retrospective for Bowie
>>
>>61321584
Station To Station the song might be his most personal though. He's really laying out the state of things.
>>
>>61321621
>>61321837

The pop songs are great, the instrumentals are ass. It's too bad his 1993 album wasn't a mix of the material released across BTWN and Buddha of Suburbia, because those instrumentals are awesome.
>>
>>61321887
>>61322049

Also Quicksand and Bewlay brothers. Quicksand is sort of his manifesto up until Station To Station, which is his new manifesto. Bewlay Brothers, though cryptic really fleshes out his confusion and anguish surrounding Terry.
>>
File: Low_(album).jpg (43 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Low_(album).jpg
43 KB, 300x300
Pic related, obviously.
>>
>>61323243
but half that album is brian eno, not bowie
>>
>>61323262
does it have eno's name on the cover i don't fucking think so you little bitch
>>
>>61323275
he has his name on all his albums that doesnt mean they're all personal :) thats what this thread is about.
>>
>>61323300

Fuckin screenshare you little bitch!
>>
>>61323300
Egg Zactly
>>
I heard Bowie hates Station to Station because it was such an awful time in his life.
>>
>>61323413
Im gonna go to your house, ring your doorbell, and when you answer the doorbell im gonna slingshot kick you in the throat with my feet.
>>
>>61323433
I thought he said later he doesn't remember almost any of it?
>>
>>61323433
actually im pretty sure he doesnt even remmber recording the album
>>
>>61323545
only if you delete this
>>
>>61323560
only if you delete this
>>
>>61323560
alright but you have to delete this too.
(p.s. I will also delete this)
>>
>>61321288
This, though elements of Black Tie White Noise and Heathen probably also qualify.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.