[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PT best album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Porcupine-Tree.jpg (46 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Porcupine-Tree.jpg
46 KB, 600x600
So what is really their best album?

http://strawpoll.me/6385434
>>
Signify definitely, love their earlier sound
>>
>Lightbulb Sun in the lead

holy shit
>>
>>61321184

too much filler
>>
I would say deadwing, it's just so comfy

Arriving Somewhere but Not Here and Glass Arm Shattering are some of the best songs SW has ever composed
>>
>>61321221
it has lots of shitty nu metal though
>>
>>61321234
i had a friend on world of warcraft back in 2006 who liked the song "shallow" a lot, bought deadwing and was really disappointed the rest of the album wasn't like it lmao
>>
>>61321208
still
>>
Porcupine Tree was best when they didn't try to be a metal band. Because they're not a metal band and if they try to then they sound like Tool for pussies
>>
>>61320709
Stupid Dream, maybe.

It's very difficult, every single album there is 8/10+ material as far as I'm concerned
>>
Their different eras are so distinct, it's difficult to pick one album. I think Signify and In Absentia are their best, though.
>>
>>61321791
That is true. You can vote for multiple albums though.
>>
sky moves sideways is a masterpiece of ambient, psy rock and prog without being too pretentious or wanky
definitely my favorite
>>
>>61321836
agreed
>>
>>61320709
The Top 4 are all fantastic albums, but I'm surprised Deadwing is so low.
>>
File: serveimage (1).jpg (15 KB, 300x296) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (1).jpg
15 KB, 300x296
You don't even have their best album on strawpoll
>>
Was Hand.Cannot.Erase good? I've heard a lot of hype but haven't listened to anything Steve Wilson/Ptree in a really long time.
>>
>>61322904
It has some gems but it's an overlong mess of early tracks from when the band was essentially a spinal tap joke. Don't be le contrarian

>>61322937
Overall disappointing. The meandering 70s prog worship tracks were already done way better on Raven. Happy Returns is a classic shamelessly overwrought SW ballad complete with do-de-do-las and I love it. The title track is poppy as fuck and I love it too. Home Invasion/ Regret #9 is pretty cool too. Ancestral starts out really good but descends into wankery around 4 minutes in. Overall, disappointing.

I wish he'd go back to whatever he was on around the Insurgentes period
>>
>>61322937
I personally loved it. Guthrie Govan kills it on this album, especially his guitar solo on Regret #9.

There tends to be a lot of mixed reviews on HCE. There are two camps, people who love it and rate it as one of the best releases of the year, and people who laugh and say it's not even real music (just see any general music rating site like RYM or Sputnik music to see hundreds of examples of the latter)
>>
>>61322845
i'm not
>>
File: heh.jpg (63 KB, 620x1014) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
63 KB, 620x1014
>>61323101
>say it's not even real music
>>61319748
>>
>>61324645
See, it's not real music!
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.